Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

TwoPair posted:

Also, what's the verdict on the X-Manime? I heard that of the other Marvel anime projects, apparently Wolverine was passable and Iron Man was a disaster. Apparently the voice work is meh, but is it worth checking out?

It was anime as gently caress, they don't fight any real X-villains, and it doesn't make any sense and drags on.

So no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Pym is the best character in the Avengers cartoon and also has the best moment of the entire show when he goes against the Abomination.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

spikenigma posted:

here's what I can remember from the :airquote: characters :airquote: of Young Justice after 19 episodes:

M'Gann: helooooooooooooooo MEeeaghaaaahhhn (all that's missing is the canned laughter)
Superboy: NRRRAAAAARGH! (flips pancakes, looks emo) NRRRAAAAARGH! (switches remote control) NRRRAAAAARGH! (goes wandering about, looks emo)
Kid-Flash: [stock snippy comment #5874]......[stock snippy comment #85214]
Aqua-Lad: [stock stoic comment #1254.b]....[stock stoic comment #12478]
Robin: "whelmed" (...really?)

One of my favorite images about the show:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The last Spider-Man team show was "Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends," and that show sucked. Spider-Man doesn't need a team. You wanna know why it took so long for Spider-Man to join The Avengers in the comics? Because Spider-Man works best when he has to deal with this superhero poo poo on his own.
Also this show is basically Spectacular's replacement, so yes, it does have to fill those shoes.

Spider-Man has always been Marvel's favorite character to team up with other characters, partly because he can have chemistry with anyone, and partly because he's their most popular character.

Marvel published a series that was exclusively Spider-Man team-ups. He is the perfect character to put with other characters.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I like the group they're putting with Spidey. It's different, but Iron Fist is awesome and kid Luke Cage seems like a great fit to help Peter not get bullied. And if they decide to go a different route and make White Tiger a love interest that would be a pretty welcome change for the Spidey mythos. I dunno why they changed Nova's name and personality, so that was weird.

It looks like it'll be a fun show on its own. It really does come across like they're trying really different things on this show than retelling Spidey stories with the same characters in roughly the same roles as before.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

KungFu Grip posted:

So was I the only one that really loved the dubbed over old Marvel cartoons in between shows? The Spider-Man one after Avengers had a hilarious Dr. Doom.

Are these online anywhere?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Young Justice is better when it isn't so drat dark or depressing. Zatanna is a good character and having her paired with Robin is a nice twist, as is the Superboy and Miss Martian pairing.

But there's a reason Captain Marvel is everyone's favorite. It's because he's fun and innocent and bright and not depressed like everyone else in the show.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

If a kid's show ever managed to get a character named Hellstrom, Son of Satan on it... well, that would just be awesome.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dacap posted:

So he needed more armor for protection but chose to leave his torso exposed and unprotected where his vital organs are?

Thor didn't do all those crunches just to hide his killer abs.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cliff Racer posted:

Ms. Martian did very, very little before YJ.

Uh, this is really incorrect. Miss Martian has been around since 2006 and was used in Teen Titans. YJ premiered 2010. She's actually done LESS since the series started.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cliff Racer posted:

Existing in one comic for three or four years is not a lot. Heck I don't think she was even in the Teen Titans all that time, though I must admit to not having read Teen Titans back then because of quality issues. I remember a lot of people scratched their heads when she was announced on the team though.

A lot of the stuff involving her and the white martian heritage comes from story arcs prior to the TV show. Saying that she did very little before the show is wrong, because as I said, she's actually done less since the show started. Which shows how dumb DC can be.

"We're rebooting our comics, we have this TV show that's popular, maybe we can have the lineups match a little? Nah! We'll just put Superboy on the cover for the first issue and not actually have him join the team for a year! Not when we have the breakout character of the century, Solstice!"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Again, this bugs me. Why was it a bad idea to introduce another character of colour, who wasn't super-gritty, and give her a push? If anything, ditching that idea in this sad attempt to recapture the 90s is the problem. And yes, I say this while reading and enjoying Batman and Animal Man, neither of which are exactly light and fluffy, but there's something almost offensive to me about the idea of an optimistic character being so 'unrealistic' that you have to crank the lever 180 to GRRR.

I'm not sure what you're complaining about? I wasn't saying anything about not including Solstice, just making fun of the way DC hyped her up. And made this series super gritty. With the reboot, they should have put Miss Martian, Superboy, and Aqualad front and center in the comic series. And they can still have the other characters currently in the title. It was just completely dumb of them to not even try to get watchers of the TV show to pick up an in-continuity title with some of the same characters.

And I wish both the TV show and comic were more light-hearted.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cliff Racer posted:

I actually didn't like the latest Avengers episode. If you take away comics history and knowledge and just had it as Thor going out and meeting someone it was a seriously flat and boring story.

I couldn't disagree more. I thought that was the single best episode yet. I especially liked the subtlety of Sif's attraction to Beta Ray Bill, and all of the heroes facing down impossible odds.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Mr. Maltose posted:

Probably because The Hulk is the best part of Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Which is pretty drat impressive considering the rest of the show.

Sorry, no, that's Hank Pym.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Roy stole Jason's apartment! Or the other way around!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Hakkesshu posted:

I wish they would stop putting Black Widow in things, since she's such an uninteresting character and not even EMH could do a lot with her. Adding Ms. Marvel was such a great move and this, along with losing Janet, just seems like they're regressing, but gotta keep up with the movies, I guess.

Black Widow's a pretty good character and has been given interesting things recently with her last series and her inclusion in Winter Soldier. But I'm sure that Carol is in line next for both films and TV.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

notthegoatseguy posted:

I really liked Pym in EMH and was disappointed in how they handled Yellowjacket by basically having him go (temporarily?) nuts. This new Hank that almost refuses to use his intelligence is like a shell of his former self.

I think it was just an interpretation of when he was brainwashed. I'm sure they're not going to ruin him, especially since they kept him and Wasp together. He'll use his intelligence when they need him to.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Sanschel posted:

YOU STUPID MEN

WHY SHOULD IT GO WELL

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yellowjacket rejoins the team; doesn't show up in the next four episodes.

Now I'm glad you're getting canceled, stupid show. :mad:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

notthegoatseguy posted:

Okay, who the gently caress is writing these late season 2 episode of EMH? I'm seeing the writer's credit be something like "Man of Action" or some poo poo.

http://www.manofaction.tv/profiles/

It's Joe Kelly, Joe Casey, Steven T. Seagle, and Duncan Rouleau. They created the massively popular Ben 10 cartoon, and you probably recognize the first three as pretty good to great comic book writers.

And you must not really have been paying too much attention if you think they openly embraced Rulk. You know, with Tony putting that countermeasure in his card and all of the Avengers immediately turning on him when they met back up with Cap and Hulk.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 21, 2012

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

redbackground posted:

Not only was the Spider-Man A:EMH episode poorly animated, it was also poorly written and possibly the least engaging episode so far. What a stinker.

I didn't mind it, but it wasn't too great.

The New Avengers episode is pretty good though.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah back when the movie was starting to get teased and people were asking questions he insisted that this wasn't actually a reboot and that it would be filling in some kind of story gap or something. Literally no one bought it, since we already knew enough about the movie to know this was completely impossible.

http://screenrant.com/amazing-spider-man-movie-avi-arad-sandy-102152/

This was more in comparison with how The Incredible Hulk basically ignored and retconned the first Hulk film.

This really didn't happen, though. They left it pretty ambiguous and only did a slight change in the flashbacks that matched the TV show origin. Otherwise the Incredible Hulk pretty much picks up after Hulk where Banner has been laying low and helping people in another country.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

achillesforever6 posted:

Hey when is Young Justice going to start up again, I've been missing it so much after the break :smith:

The 29th, I think. Sometime this month, anyway.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Yet Ultimate Spider-man still lives.

That's because Disney doesn't run their networks like idiots. Nothing to do with the quality of their shows.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Beware the Batman because his butler will loving go all Punisher on you.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Adam Strange posted:

Is DKR Part 2 much better than Part 1? I didn't hate the first half, it didn't seem like anything that spectacular either.

It is a lot better, yes.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I can't even imagine an animated Identity Crisis movie. Rape, characters being stupid, and a stomach sinking into testicles. Nope, I don't think we'll ever see that.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It's a real feeling but that is a terribly written line. I don't think you really need to say that your stomach sunk to your testicles. Just leave that last part out of it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

McSpanky posted:

No, that's pretty much it. Like Galactus mentioned at the start, he's been poisoned by some kind of negative cosmic energy and has to feed immediately or die, then all that stuff happens. And when I was a kid this episode made me think Ghost Rider was like a fundamental force of the Marvel cosmos because holy poo poo, the Penance Stare whammied GALACTUS. "Feel the torment of a billion billion extinguished souls" :black101:

I love the way the voice actor read that, too. It's not conventional but it really works.

Ghost Rider should randomly show up in all Marvel shows to beat the big villains and drive away.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The time skip was not a good idea and as a result, the characters and relationships from the first season were all barely touched in favor of introducing waaaay too many characters and subplots that were left alone for episodes at a time.

And come on, the end of the show is pretty much the Light going "we ended up with what we wanted as planned". It definitely got to be a running joke when a lot of episodes ended that way.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The plan was to get War World, yes. And Darkseid was the benefactor. So yes, apparently the Light's plan was to get Earth noticed and get the Justice League off planet for trial, get a deal with the Reach so the Green Lantern Corps couldn't interfere, draw Mogul and War World to Earth, then take control of War World and break the deal with the Reach.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Doom hates racism.

Obviously because all humans are equal under Doom. :doom:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Hugo Weaving is the Red Skull again.

And I like them wheeling around Iron Man on a hand truck.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-Men: Evolution is great, especially when they move from the high school setting. The animation is nice, the voice acting is good, and the long arcs come together really well. Plus they do ditch Spike, which coincides with dropping the high school setting.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

spikenigma posted:

Aww, beware the Batman looks like a bad late 90's videogame cutscene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sbmHgbXpdc

Guess I won't be watching. :smith:

God, look at those low resolution background textures. I think the original X-Box and PS2 could produce graphics on par with that.

I think the title of that show is a self reference telling you to beware how lovely it's going to be.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Zeeman posted:

That has so much more style than the clips we've seen, although Batman's design still looks dumb

It's not really anything we haven't seen before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ-GAxE6RD4

I mean, gently caress, they almost look exactly the same but Justice League was done in loving 2001!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I like that they have the exact same stiff walking motion.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

I have a feeling you guys are too bugged by the Art Style to give it a chance.

I'd say that not liking the art style of an animated show is a pretty big deal and a difficult hurdle to overcome.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

TwoPair posted:

Ironically, my favorite Superman episode is Knight Time, which is essentially a Batman episode, because Superman is stuffed in a Batsuit and acts like Batman for 75% of the episode. It has all sorts of Silver Age goofiness in it, like Superman flawlessly imitating Batman's (and Robin's) voice because of super-bullshit-muscle control, and Superman fumbling through fights trying to act weaker than he is in order to make sure people think Batman's in town.

Knight Time is so much fun. The reactions of the villains is the best thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Batgirl fucks Batman, then gets clingy while he avoids her, then she gets shot and paralyzed.

Holy poo poo, they should burn this movie.

• Locked thread