Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

OK Octopus posted:

Just wanted to drop in and comment on that Superman/Shazam DC collection. I happened to catch it on Netflix a little while back and was utterly blown away by the quality on the Spectre short. Seriously, I would watch the Hell out out of an HBO series done in that almost Grindhouse style they used for that (and I was pretty much burnt out on the whole motif way before Machete). The Jonah Hex short wasn't bad either, at that.

Yes, I absolutely loved that Spectre short too. I wasn't expecting a gritty, grimy '70s style at all, but it worked perfectly. A regular series with nasty little revenge stories would be most welcome.

I also enjoyed Jonah Hex, and Green Arrow was fun, if a bit by-the-numbers. Didn't care for the main Superman/Shazam story, though -- too violent for what should be such a light-hearted, kid-friendly character as Captain Marvel. But then again, I don't think the Marvel Family fit in the DCU at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Well, Suicide Squad: The Movie (aka Batman: Assault on Arkham) hit Redbox today, and it was awesome. I highly recommend it to any action/caper/heist movie fans, and if you like the Suicide Squad and Deadshot in particular, you're going to love it. I was surprised to see it had a PG-13 rating, but it was quite violent, with several on-screen deaths that would have necessitated that rating in a live-action movie.

There was also nudity (no naughty bits shown directly) and a sex scene (same), none of which bothered me, but I didn't think any of the direct-to-DVD DC animated films went there. Then again, I haven't seen any of the recent ones. Was this the first to have a more "mature" dynamic? At least it made sense for these characters (criminals and psychos), whereas the adult content would have felt out of place in a JLA movie.

Anyway, as a Deadshot fanboy, I had fun watching him hold his own against Batman, Joker, Harley Quinn, and Amanda Waller, all in different ways, of course. Captain Boomerang and Killer Frost were great too, and it was great to hear CCH Pounder doing Waller's voice again. The fast-paced sequence that introduced each character was spot-on perfect -- wordless action sequences showing them in action, usually doing something extremely violent or dangerous to show who they were and what they could do.

After binge-watching Arrow earlier this summer reignited my love of the Suicide Squad (enough to make me start tracking down a complete run of the '80s series to get bound), this was a perfectly-timed follow-up.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

Man I love how they did Clayface almost as much as what they did with Mr. Freeze; I always felt bad for him :smith:

Also now that we are talking about the Suicide Squad movie it reminded me of that awesome JLU episode

That was probably my favorite JLU episode, and there were a handful of contenders. Darwyn Cooke wrote it, and Michael Rosenbaum used his best Kevin Spacey impression to voice Deadshot. Just a fantastic heist/caper story, all around.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

That time in JLU where one of the evil Wonder Twins threw a huge tidal wave at Aquaman and he just stood there unimpressed and went "King of the seas, remember?" is probably the best Aquaman's ever been.

Brave and the Bold Aquaman was my favorite Aquaman!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Beef Waifu posted:

EDIT: Also, I watched Assault on Arkham and about the most I can say about that movie is that I liked Killer Frost and King Shark, but Batman had like the best scenes and the rest of the became a huge clusterfuck at some point.
I really liked it, but because it was essentially Deadshot: The Movie.

• Locked thread