Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Fatkraken posted:

I love phantom 2040 and came here to discuss phantom 2040 but no one is talking about phantom 2040.

We're only allowed to mention it three times a year - now you've gone and used those all up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I just caught the Music Meister episode of Batman: Brave and the Bold. That was so much fun. A whole episode done as a musical, and done well. That final gadget he uses to save the day was brilliant, too.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Perigryn posted:

One of the things I miss about the show. And season 2's not on dvd either (neither is Transformers Animated season 3...or the rest of Gargoyles for that matter.)

Season 2's on DVD, just not in one complete package. It's spread out among 4.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I wonder if we'll see the motorcycle (Spider-Mobile perhaps?) combined with his powers or webswinging in some way.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TwoPair posted:

Marvel just put out a new trailer for Ultimate Spider-Man. Includes a better look at the Spider-MobileCycle, a look at some of the team-ups and the Iron Spider suit! :allears:

e: I'm still not sold on Bell's Spider-Man voice.

I've always wanted him to do that with the Spider-Mobile. Nice to see it happen, albeit with a motorcycle.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Baron Bifford posted:

Spider-Man seems to have had a lot of TV shows. Just how many cartoon shows have featured him? He must be the most bankable superhero ever.

Assuming this isn't rhetorical...

Spider-Man - 1967 animated series - 52 episodes
Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends - 1981 animated series - 24 episodes
Spider-Man - 1994 animated series - 65 episodes
Spider-Man Unlimited - 1999 animated series - 13 episodes
Spider-Man: The New Animated Series - 2003 animated series - 13 episodes
The Spectacular Spider-Man - 2008 animated series - 26 episodes

and now
1.12 Ultimate Spider-Man - 2012 animated series

So far there've been 193 episodes in total, and still counting.

Not to mention the live-action shows he's had.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gaz-L posted:

Fixed that. Unless you're counting the Japanese tokusatsu thing?

I counted his NA live action show, the giant robot-racecar-wristwatch Japanese show, and the shorts he had on EC.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FrostedButts posted:

You forgot Spider-Man from 1981 that was 26 episodes.

I didn't know they ran concurrently, that's cool. Like if Batman:TAS had been on the same time as Justice League (unless it was).

And seconding how perfect Spectacular was. That show is a large part of why the Raimi movies barely do anything for me now.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cliff Racer posted:

Spiderman is the perfect character to interact with on a limited basis, like his friendship with the Fantastic Four and his team up book. But he only works so well like that if the team up is not permanent. Ultimately it is best to keep Spidey on a street level that doesn't work all that well when the avengers are tagging along.

Why, though? These aren't truisms.

Spider-Man has a long track record of teaming up. New Avengers is seven years old. And "street level" is a nebulous term that only tries to describe the historical scope of Spider-Man stories and not any potential.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

But this team isn't the New Avengers. It's a bunch of C-Listers. It's Teen Titans with Spider-Man in the place of Robin. And that just don't work.

Again, why? Why doesn't it work? notthegoatseguy brilliantly points out that Spider-Man stories have never had an aversion to team players, especially characters who were c-listers when starting out in his own books. Spider-Man had his Team-Ups with every corner of the Marvel Universe, and he also met people in his own books or was the go-to guy for sauntering over to someone else's book when they needed a sales boost. There was even that website a couple years ago that determined after Cap, Spider-Man was the most connected hero in the entire Marvel Universe.

Spider-Man wisecracks, and if you read the early 60s Marvel Universe you quickly realize how common it was for Stan Lee to infuse the other heroes of the day with a similar joking streak. Daredevil, Iron Man, Ben Grimm, Johnny Storm, etc. But at some point Spider-Man's humour crystallized into a joke on the superhero genre itself. Making fun more about the various tropes or situations that occurred. He's like the Jamie Kennedy character in Scream, saying "Wait, no, why are we splitting up if this is a slasher movie? That never works." and on a team book that's a really fun and interesting dynamic to throw in.

Not to mention how there's this weird relationship he has with most superheroes where he's both aloof and deferential to them, and they in turn begrudgingly put up with him because on one hand he's an annoying gently caress but on the other hand he's one of the most competent and dedicated heroic people on the planet. He'll bust your balls but he'll die a thousand deaths before giving up. And with his smarts, creativity, and powers that are still unique to this day, there's always some angle that he's going to add to a group.

All in all I'm a big fan so maybe I'm a booster of his and too far gone, but I just get the sense when people react against his being on a team that it's a self-fulfilling prophecy of "he's worked well solo, so he should only be solo".

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

"Hobby" was maybe a poor choice of words but I see what Baron means, in that Peter is Spider-Man on the side, whereas many other heroes are full-timers. Which is interesting because that makes him sound less dedicated when he's actually one of the more pro-active heroes out there. The whole idea of going out on patrol is alien to a lot of major superheroes.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Zeeman posted:

If anyone missed Ultimate Spider-Man, Marvel's got the first two episodes up here: http://marvelkids.marvel.com/shows/161/ultimate_spider-man

These two episodes are really laying the groundwork for the series so it's hard to judge too much from them, but it seems like there's potential here. I like a lot of the humor and tone, so that's a plus.

Thanks for this - not sure when I would have been able to see it otherwise.

So far I like pretty much everything - the voice actors, the quality and design of the animation, the Ultimate elements, the fight choreography and the general Spider-ness of it.

The humour isn't totally my thing, but it is for a younger crowd and I don't actually find it bad, just not something I'm used to with Spider-Man. Even after the second episode though I was pretty used to it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

thebardyspoon posted:

Forbush Man reference by the Stan Lee janitor in the first episode of USM made me chuckle. It was ok, the jokes didn't annoy me so much but his kinda haughty attitude to the rest of the heroes did. Kinda wish they had gone with a 16/17 year old Peter and then the rest of the heroes being their actual ages and he just teams up with them like Brave and the Bold but I guess it's not fair to judge it on what it's not. Just feel like I've seen the "group of heroes lead a double life between school and heroics" thing so many times.

I think there's a lot of potential in having the other heroes know him and go to the same school because Peter doesn't usually have his lives collide like that. It's one thing to get stuffed in a locker and then go meet up with Cap or Daredevil who know nothing about it, but for Peter to be outed as... well, Peter, to his allies is a great opportunity for the rest of the series. Not just knowing his name but all the ins and outs of early-life Spider-Man.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Djarum posted:

The premise has me even more suspect. When I first heard that they were making a USM cartoon I thought it was a great idea as most of the USM especially the early stuff would lend to a cartoon fantastically. It could have been to the current generation that the Fox 90s show was mine. Instead of taking that idea and running with it, we are effectively getting Spider-Man and his Amazing Heroes for Hire Kids! Not saying a Spider-Man Team Up show couldn't work but this just isn't the way to do it. My gut feeling from the limited amount of time we have seen the team is we are going to cringe at every moment they are on screen and the "drama" that they have already setup. I could very well be wrong and I hope I am since they have some of my favorite characters on this team but my gut is telling me otherwise.

To expand on what I said a few posts up, this clearly isn't a Team Up show in the traditional sense of the comic, nor is it Avengers:EMH where they are a hero team and barely anything else. This is Disney making Teen Titans with Spider-Man in the lead. Whether that was the main inspiration or it was the latter half of the Ultimate comic with Aunt May's house o' heroes, this show is about all of them growing up and learning together, knowing the intimate details of each other's lives whereas when we usually say one hero "knows" who another hero is under the mask, it's barely more than their name and face.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

He might be in the planning role now but Dr. Octopus will come out to fight at some point.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gaz-L posted:

Because she already had. The Avengers came together because Loki had set the Hulk up in order to distract his brother. Not sure if that was explictly in the Spidey case, but I'd buy the logic of 'we all fought the Hulk, so you have to do it too, if you want in'.

"We all fought the Hulk, collectively, so you have to do it too, but alone. Also, this will never be a condition of membership to the Avengers ever again. Happy Hulk hunting, Spidey!"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Baron Bifford posted:

I know it sounds absurd for me to nitpick the metaphysics of a loving superhero cartoon, but I figured the power of the GL ring was tied to the user's willpower, not his physical size. The episode basically implies that Mogo has more willpower than those three combined.

Willpower is already a vague concept, but I figure part of the strength of a ringbearer's constructs is how believable the constructs are to the ringbearer, and that in turn is partly a function of scale. If you had a ring, you would innately disbelieve your own creation of an aircraft carrier construct and need some strong willpower to back it up, as opposed to a small shield or sword. You don't need much willpower as a human to conjure up a construct the size of a mote of dust and similarly, in relative terms, a planet shouldn't need much effort to conjure up something to destroy an asteroid.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Baron Bifford posted:

I... uh... that makes no sense to me whatsoever.

In simpler terms, I would think it's harder to create and sustain something bigger than you than something smaller than you. Since an asteroid is smaller than Mogo and bigger than Hal, it follows that Mogo should find it a lot easier than Hal to destroy an asteroid.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I found this week's USM more annoying than the double feature last week. Waiting around for the show to start for so long I was eager to overlook flaws but now that the sheen has worn off it's a bit grating as it seems the humour comes before everything else, which is fine but the humour just isn't my type.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

With a few exceptions, most animated series' don't go over 26 or 52 episodes anyway and EMH was originally announced to be 52, with the first season being 26 of those episodes.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

bobkatt013 posted:

There is a reason. They made it so the show came out around the same time as the movie.

I wonder what the return is on these kind of decisions. Are ratings bumped up that significantly? Could they have instead aired the show and had a DVD out in time to sell?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Can somebody remind me where Cap is, or do we not know yet?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sanschel posted:

I got some of those guys but drat that's some obscure H4H villains. I did a double take when I saw Cockroach Hamilton and Piranha Jones, it was awesome. Easily one of the best episodes of the series.

Fans of classic Spider-Man should recognize Man-Mountain Marko, not necessarily because he was an amazing villain but because that name sticks with you.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The DCAU, which has warped fan expectations of how long a series or universe series usually runs, was an extreme outlier in the animation world, at least here in the West. That kind of thing doesn't happen often, but if it did it would require exactly the type of amalgamating that Disney/Marvel is doing right now with bringing the different heroes under one house, one studio, and one universe.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TwoPair posted:

While that's true, I kind of don't see why amalgamating requires a whole new show.

It probably has to do with animation styles and the creative managers of the shows, not about the plots or continuity.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cliff Racer posted:

I actually didn't like the latest Avengers episode. If you take away comics history and knowledge and just had it as Thor going out and meeting someone it was a seriously flat and boring story.

Though it explains his absence the previous episode.

But I'll take BRB for any reason! I thought their choice of voice was spot on. I imagined something a bit more classically heroic like Thor (or maybe Mr. Ed...?) but to match his sinister look I thought the gravelly, somewhat world-weary sound of him fit the character.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

For me the appeal of Bill is that he's a cooler Thor. The strength of Thor comics has usually been the Asgardian worlds and characters surrounding him, not the inherent charm of Goldilocks himself. Bill isn't much deeper or complex but I find him more entertaining in the same way that other "bad-asses" usually are: grizzled, loner, savage, etc. Not to mention that his origin is literally being better than Thor, and that it's refreshing to see someone with a totally different look. Should I pick one of several tall, blonde, blue-eyed Avengers or Horse Face Killer? Easy choice.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jack Gladney posted:

So that Atom short was the most boring thing. He's a superhero whose power is the ability to be threatened by small animals at inconvenient moments.

Which is funny, because this also happens in the most recent Ant-Man episode of EMH, though they make it clear it's only because Lang is totally unfamiliar with the powers.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Revol posted:

As for Avengers... the episode with the Skrull being revealed to Iron Man annoyed the hell out of me. Okay, so what does the brilliant, super-genius Tony Stark do once he learns that someone on his team is a shape-shifting alien? Maybe he keeps this to himself, acts normally, while trying to suss the fake out? Nah! Let's act like a child, throw a fit, let everyone on the team (including the alien) know what's what, and then disband the team, so that when the coming invasion comes, they won't be there to defend Earth!

I'd say it's better to let everyone know so they can all watch their backs and be on the lookout. You don't want someone getting into a life or death situation where they will happily trust their teammate to make sure they're all right.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

notthegoatseguy posted:

It was strange to see the Bugle there, because previously a paper called "Excelsior" has been seen.

New York has historically been able to support more than one newspaper.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

To think, right now I could be watching one of the Scorpion or Hobgoblin episodes of Spectacular Spider-Man season three. The way they handled the Norman/Harry mystery of the Goblin was great and I had high hopes for how they were going to handle Hobgoblin. Even if they didn't keep the mystery aspect, a large part of the appeal of the original Hobgoblin stories was seeing one villain on his quest to get progressively more powerful and deadly. And I don't use the word "quest" lightly - in a videogame sense we got to see him seek out and find more loot, weapons, vehicles, henchmen, influence, and more superpower. That could have translated amazingly to a story arc across a season of TV.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 7, 2012

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Finished the Secret Invasion arc of EMH and while I enjoyed all the lead-up episodes the finale felt way too small and way too quick for all the investment put in. Graviton was mentioned earlier up the page and that's only one example of a villain who really seemed like he was going to destroy the world but the small band of Super Skrulls against the Avengers in Washington (empty Washington) gave me the feeling I was watching The Warriors fight The Baseball Furies. Just a rumble between gangs. The Avengers fighting themselves an episode or two before that was a much more exciting battle, especially since against the Super Skrulls the fight hinged on the supposedly triumphant return of Thor, who I wasn't missing in the first place with Capt. Marvel in his place.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Happy Hippo posted:

Remember how when Disney bought Marvel they were all, "Nope, we won't tell them how to do their jobs. Don't worry about it, guys."

Yeah.

The way people were freaking out they were expecting crazy crossover titles like Duck Tales to Astonish, Fantasia Four, or Alice in Savage Land.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Haha, that was awesome timing.

redbackground posted:

Man, that's what I WANT to happen.

Oh, totally, but it sounded like at the time people were saying "Welp, if Spider-Man now exists in the same world as Howard the Duck Donald Duck, Rocket Raccoon Chip 'n' Dale, or Beast the Beast then I'm out!"

VVV The conversation came from HappyHippo's post, who may or may not have been talking about Phineas & Ferb or Coulson. VVV

Lobok fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 18, 2012

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

bobkatt013 posted:

If it is the Fleischer Superman cartoons they are some of if not the best Superman ever. Every single portrayal of Superman owes something to these cartoons.

They're coming out on Blu-Ray in a couple of weeks.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Chaltab posted:

Oh man, that scene. It's like Betty Brant has never seen a black man before or something, even though her direct superior is black.

You mean Robertson? He wasn't in the `67 cartoon and only first appeared in the comics the year the cartoon first aired.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Drake Bell is the latest in a line of Spider-Man VAs that has to be more hormonal and squeakier than the last one. Given a few more incarnations Spider-Man will sound like this kid:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ToastyPotato posted:

Wouldn't this mean that anyone in Giant man form would be fantastically weak relative to their size?

He only stays the same or gets better, never worse. When he shrinks he keeps his human-level attributes, but when he grows his strength increases in proportion to his mass.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Even if he doesn't get an Oscar he's going to have one of the most bitchin' lifetime achievement reels ever.

Edit: Hmm, this is probably not the right thread...

Lobok fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

You'd think they would try to make Joker a fish.

• Locked thread