Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ufarn
May 30, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

My eyes can't focus on 3D and trying to watch it always leaves me with a headache so I really hope that this is shot in such a way that the 3D is just there as an added effect and not lots of things getting thrown towards the camera to justify the fact that it is in 3D.

It kinda annoys me that the 3D gimmick is still hanging on, at least Christopher Nolan saw sense and just shoots in Imax format instead.
Sounds like you might want to check out these glasses: http://www.2d-glasses.com/.

Theatres in my country don't know anything about proper projection and sound levels, so 3D movies have been an unequivocally bad experience for me. 2D movies for me from now on, be it regular 2D or 3D with those glasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vira
Mar 6, 2007

My eyes can't focus on 3D and trying to watch it always leaves me with a headache so I really hope that this is shot in such a way that the 3D is just there as an added effect and not lots of things getting thrown towards the camera to justify the fact that it is in 3D.

It kinda annoys me that the 3D gimmick is still hanging on, at least Christopher Nolan saw sense and just shoots in Imax format instead.

I have this problem. I haven't seen very many 3D Films because of this but I think a lot of it has to do with how the 3D is used. When I saw Hugo a week ago, I was worried for a few minutes because the trailers were very jarring but then the film itself was really easy on my eyes. I had no problems watching it all the way through and found the effect very enjoyable.

I'm sure its easy to screw up but hopefully they take note of how to do it right.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
Scans of a new article and photos from Total Film magazine:
http://heirsofdurin.wordpress.com/2011/12/17/new-hobbit-article-in-total-film/

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Scans of a new article and photos from Total Film magazine:
http://heirsofdurin.wordpress.com/2011/12/17/new-hobbit-article-in-total-film/

That shot of Thorin is REALLY giving me a Gowron vibe. drat.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Effingham posted:

I refuse to see this as a bad thing.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Effingham posted:

Wait, is that the same actor?!

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama
I hope people aren't down on 3d because of all of the crappy post production 3d movies that have been out. Avatar, Tron Legacy, and this are the only movies truly shot with 3d cameras (that I can think of). Not to mention the frame rate will make it look even smoother and more spectacular.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Don't forget DRIVE ANGRY!

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Gimmedaroot posted:

I hope people aren't down on 3d because of all of the crappy post production 3d movies that have been out. Avatar, Tron Legacy, and this are the only movies truly shot with 3d cameras (that I can think of). Not to mention the frame rate will make it look even smoother and more spectacular.

This is completely incorrect.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_3-D_films

Any movie in the first bracket not listed as "filmed in 2-D" is a 3D movie, not a post-conversion job.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama
Ok, I was talking about the post-Avatar James Cameron cameras. The rush job of Alice in Wonderland and Clash of the Titans after Avatar produced a slew of post production crap that soured people on the idea of 3d, and I wish they would give The Hobbit a chance.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Is 48 fps going to look all hosed up when I buy the Blu-ray and play it on my TV? Can my PS3 accurately send the 48 fps signal and can my TV, which I believe flickers at 60hz, display it properly? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I sometimes don't remember exactly how these things work.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
It's going to look like any other movie you have on blu-ray.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
According to "The Hobbit" Facebook Page, the trailer will premier on Tuesday at 7pm PST.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Gimmedaroot posted:

Ok, I was talking about the post-Avatar James Cameron cameras. The rush job of Alice in Wonderland and Clash of the Titans after Avatar produced a slew of post production crap that soured people on the idea of 3d, and I wish they would give The Hobbit a chance.

PJ is not using the Avatar cameras. They developed their own system using RED Epic cameras. It will look great, most likely, but it's a different kind of 3D to Avatar.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Plus that section was inserted by Tolkien after he had written LOTR as a way to link the books, along with rewriting the Riddles in the Dark chapter.

So loving what? :rolleyes: It's an adaptation of The Hobbit as it exists today, not the first edition of the Hobbit. Why should anything JRR added himself in later editions not be considered good enough to be included in the movie?

CerealCrunch posted:

I'm reading through appendix A of Lord of the Rings right now, and Gandalf and Thorin get together in Bree before the Hobbit.

Basically, Gandalf is sitting around worried about how Sauron might use Smaug to kick the poo poo out of Middle Earth. Thorin shows up by chance and asks Gandalf to come to his halls to talk about how he might get his inheritance that Smaug is sitting on. This meeting with Thorin is elaborated on in "The Quest of Erebor" which is found in the appendix of some versions of the Hobbit, or it can be found in Unfinished Tales.

Gandalf wants to use Bilbo because he feels it's important to include Hobbits in the affairs of the world. He needed to teach the Hobbits enough to understand the world, but he did not have time, so he insisted Thorin include him in his quest to get rid of the dragon. He says the dragon might not recognize Hobbit scent, but that was mainly so he would agree to take Bilbo.

Thorin really doesn't think much of Hobbits, but Gandalf says they can walk quietly and are courageous in a pinch. It is actually Thorin who suggests that Bilbo is a thief (how else could they have nice silverware and jewelry). This pisses off Gandalf and he says, fine, Bilbo is a thief. Now take him and succeed, or leave him behind and fail.

Is all this in the appendices? I'm super stoked to read those for the first time, because I skipped over them the first time I read LOTR. Now I'm on my second complete readthrough, near the end of ROTK.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I thought 3D would give actual depth, like on somebody's face their nose is in front of their cheeks, their chin in front of their neck and so forth. But every 3D thing I've seen has looked like a diarama with cardboard cut-outs. Does my initial impression of what 3D is actually exist or do they all have that effect?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Szmitten posted:

I thought 3D would give actual depth, like on somebody's face their nose is in front of their cheeks, their chin in front of their neck and so forth. But every 3D thing I've seen has looked like a diarama with cardboard cut-outs. Does my initial impression of what 3D is actually exist or do they all have that effect?

Did you see Avatar in 3D? It was actually stereoscopic (IE: worked the same way human eyes do)

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Hedrigall posted:

Is all this in the appendices? I'm super stoked to read those for the first time, because I skipped over them the first time I read LOTR. Now I'm on my second complete readthrough, near the end of ROTK.

There's a short note in the dwarf section of Appendix A. Tolkien actually wrote out a longer account of the meeting between Gandalf and Thorin (titled "The Quest of Erebor") which was meant for the appendices but ended up being left out; it was eventually published in Unfinished Tales, as CerealCrunch mentioned. The appendices do have some interesting material, though. There's also enough additional stuff in Unfinished Tales to make it worth getting, especially if you've also read and liked the published Silmarillion. (Which I personally love, but that's not entirely universal even among people who really like Tolkien's more accessible stuff.)

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hedrigall posted:

(IE: worked the same way human eyes do)
3D movies don't work the same way that human eyes do, which is the reason for the headaches. Human eyes focus on a single focal point and adjust their focus to accomodate for distance, but 3D movies are only in focus at a single point on the screen, so when you're looking anywhere but the focal point of the scene your eyes aren't seeing what they're expecting to see, which results in eyestrain. So while 3D movies add stereopsis, they subtract accommodation (and 30% of the brightness) which makes them an inferior viewing experience to 2D.

I know what you're saying about Avatar and similar movies using 2 cameras to produce stereopsis instead of inducing 3D with postprocessing, but I just thought I'd sum up the reasons that people are uncomfortable with 3D.

Dolphin fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Dec 19, 2011

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

Did you see Avatar in 3D? It was actually stereoscopic (IE: worked the same way human eyes do)

Nope. The only 3D I've seen are in stores with 3DS and 3D TV demos and if they're showing it off at its worse then that's pretty dumb. If the selection of actual 3D is that slim then it's kinda pointless.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Sorry I know this has probably been brought up a lot in the previous thread but I didn't take a good look at the cast list on IMDB until now. While I never would have figured Aidan Turner for a dwarf I'm sure he'll kick rear end, and James Nesbitt was born for this role. Sylvester McCoy as Radagast, loving awesome. And yay Bret McKenzie is going to be in it again :xd: Probably a tiny cameo but still.

Sorry if I'm gushing, can't help myself it seems. I do know I was incredibly psyched for the original LOTR movies before they came out, I guess that never went away. My only disappointment in the lineup so far is having Brian Blessed in this but not having him play Beorn. I'll live with it.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

DS at Night posted:

My only disappointment in the lineup so far is having Brian Blessed in this but not having him play Beorn. I'll live with it.

Brian Blessed is not in this as far as I am aware. Guillermo was considering him at some point, but that went nowhere when PJ took over the casting.

In fact I'm gonna update the OP with some more detailed casting info.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Brian Blessed is not in this as far as I am aware. Guillermo was considering him at some point, but that went nowhere when PJ took over the casting.

In fact I'm gonna update the OP with some more detailed casting info.

I have a problem with taking IMDB very literally even though it says "rumored" right after the name.

They better not be kidding about Lee Pace as king Thranduil though :swoon:

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
If this movie looks anything like Public Enemies I will not be happy.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

By the way, if you want your Hobbit trailer spoiled, I have updated the OP with a leaked breakdown of the trailer content.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

ComposerGuy posted:

I refuse to see this as a bad thing.

I don't, either. I know that Thorin is going to make those Misty Mountain goblins experience Bij!

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.

By the way, if you want your Hobbit trailer spoiled, I have updated the OP with a leaked breakdown of the trailer content.

Oh god the temptation...

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.
Short thread and there's already some of the same old misinformation and misconceptions about 3-D and framerates being tossed around. I've worked on two theatrical 3-D features, and am working on another at the moment - I won't say which, but it's pretty high profile. I'd be more than happy to clear up some of the confusion and am tempted to start an A/T thread. What do you guys think, should I go ahead and do it formally in the A/T forum or should I do it in CineD? I'd love to be something of a resource to you guys but can't promise a ton of time and energy - my current gig has me pretty busy.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Trump posted:

It's going to look like any other movie you have on blu-ray.

...except that it's 48fps instead of 24? My understanding is that there's already motion judder with 24fps sources on displays that don't natively flicker at a multiple of 24hz, so I was wondering if anybody knows whether that effect will be more or less pronounced with a 48fps source. Apologies if that was not clear initially.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Colonel Whitey posted:

...except that it's 48fps instead of 24? My understanding is that there's already motion judder with 24fps sources on displays that don't natively flicker at a multiple of 24hz, so I was wondering if anybody knows whether that effect will be more or less pronounced with a 48fps source. Apologies if that was not clear initially.

I'm pretty sure Jackson said that there will be a 24fps version of the film back when it was first announced that he was shooting 48fps and everyone was worried, which is probably what the home releases are going to use?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
If anyone wants a cheap Hobbit fix you should pick this up

http://www.amazon.com/Hobbit-Illustrated-Fantasy-Classic/dp/0345445600/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1324340537&sr=8-3

It's a neat adaptation with some nice artwork. I got it years ago and still crack through it once in a while.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Colonel Whitey posted:

From here.

Peter Jackson posted:

We will be completing a "normal" 24 frames per second version—in both digital and 35mm film prints. If we are able to get the Hobbit projected at 48 fps in selected cinemas, there will still be normal-looking 24 fps versions available in cinemas everywhere.

Converting a film shot at 48 fps down to 24 fps is not a hugely difficult process, but it requires testing to achieve the best results. Some of this involves digital processes during post-production. We are also shooting the film a slightly different way, which is a question several of you asked. Normally you shoot a movie with a 180-degree shutter angle. Changing the shutter angle affects the amount of motion blur captured during movement. Reducing the shutter angle gives you the stroby (or jerky) "Saving Private Ryan" look.

However, we're going the other way, shooting at 48 fps with a 270 degree shutter angle. This gives the 48 fps a lovely silky look, and creates a very pleasing look at 24 fps as well. In fact, our DP, Andrew Lesnie, and I prefer the look of 24 fps when it comes from a 48 fps master.

So there you have it. It will look loving good either way. The end.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 20, 2011

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

Szmitten posted:

The cheapest way one can do post-production 3D is basically to create layer masks and make a flat movie into a cardboad cutout. This was very visible in clash of the titans, only the CGI sequences had proper 3D (since it's probably easier to load a plugin, flick a switch and wait a few weeks to get a real 3d render vs manual 3D conversion)

Medical
Apr 16, 2010

by T. Fine

ufarn posted:

Sounds like you might want to check out these glasses: http://www.2d-glasses.com/.

Theatres in my country don't know anything about proper projection and sound levels, so 3D movies have been an unequivocally bad experience for me. 2D movies for me from now on, be it regular 2D or 3D with those glasses.

Why wouldn't people just pay for the 2d showing instead of buying those glasses. It's cheaper anyways.

To stay on topic I wish I would have known a trailer was coming after it was released, short waits for things are worse than long waits for things in a weird way.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Medical posted:

Why wouldn't people just pay for the 2d showing instead of buying those glasses. It's cheaper anyways.

To stay on topic I wish I would have known a trailer was coming after it was released, short waits for things are worse than long waits for things in a weird way.

Some theaters don't offer 2D showings of 3D films or very limited. Most theaters playing Hugo, for example, either didn't get 2D versions, or would only show it once, at like...11am-Noon.

Medical
Apr 16, 2010

by T. Fine

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Some theaters don't offer 2D showings of 3D films or very limited. Most theaters playing Hugo, for example, either didn't get 2D versions, or would only show it once, at like...11am-Noon.

Where I live there's usually a 2d version at like 7:00 then a 3d version in another theater at 7:15. Lucky me.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
And there's the part of going in with other people. The majority doesn't always agree with you.

SuperFurryAnimal
May 10, 2004
Super Furry Animal
Wishful thinking, but I'd love it if they released the trailer at 48 fps in S3D.

A decent 3d-vision equipped PC could play it in that format, yes?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

ufarn posted:

And there's the part of going in with other people.

We're talking about people who would post in the Something Awful thread for The Hobbit. I don't think this will be an issue for any of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medical
Apr 16, 2010

by T. Fine
So when these make a billion dollars, what fantasy properties will Hollywood greenlight to try and cash in?

• Locked thread