Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Steve2911 posted:

In TBOFA? I've not seen it since the cinema release but isn't the elf army literally just the same two or three dudes copied and posted 1000 times? It looked loving awful.

I wasn't paying enough attention to tell if it was literally the same guy, but I was definitely getting vibes of the one copy-pasted Oompa-Loompa guy from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Except that guy was kind of funny, since they just totally ran with it and had all the Oompa-Loompas inexplicably completely identical with no reason given, including the female secretary (aka the same guy again in a dress).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama
So far I haven't seen anything that addresses the very ending. Peter Jackson said that The Hobbit would go seamlessly into the LOTR trilogy, but all I remember connecting the two was Gandalf knocking at the door. Bilbo is yelling for Frodo, wondering where he is, even tho he told Bilbo he was going to wait for Gandalf. I was expecting a smoother transition than that, but I guess Jackson just gave up.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

In TBOFA? I've not seen it since the cinema release but isn't the elf army literally just the same two or three dudes copied and posted 1000 times? It looked loving awful.

Actually, yeah. I had a moment of hope when Thranduil's personal guards looked really different from the 2nd age elves and Lothlorien elves in LOTR, but then they showed up looking less interesting than the guys from earlier.

The Orcs and trolls look loving great though, as do the Dwarves.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Gimmedaroot posted:

So far I haven't seen anything that addresses the very ending. Peter Jackson said that The Hobbit would go seamlessly into the LOTR trilogy, but all I remember connecting the two was Gandalf knocking at the door. Bilbo is yelling for Frodo, wondering where he is, even tho he told Bilbo he was going to wait for Gandalf. I was expecting a smoother transition than that, but I guess Jackson just gave up.

Thranduil: "Legolas, go find the toddler that they call Strider..."

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

SHISHKABOB posted:

Thranduil: "Legolas, go find the toddler that they call Strider..."

Aragorn is 87 in LOTR. Got that Numenorean longevity.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

The horribly disjointed connection between the two trilogies is one of the best parts. You cut directly from a doddering old man half-remembering a story he wasn't there for to thousands of years ago or howevermuch. The movie and Bilbo's ultimate fate are absorbed by the LOTR trilogy, subordinated directly into its prologue.

You also hear the narrator and go like 'wait, who is this? They're just telling me what happened directly now? Why should I trust them?'

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Hbomberguy posted:

The horribly disjointed connection between the two trilogies is one of the best parts. You cut directly from a doddering old man half-remembering a story he wasn't there for to thousands of years ago or howevermuch. The movie and Bilbo's ultimate fate are absorbed by the LOTR trilogy, subordinated directly into its prologue.

You also hear the narrator and go like 'wait, who is this? They're just telling me what happened directly now? Why should I trust them?'

This post makes my eye balls melt.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

How unfortunate for you.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
There was a sale on the PS4 version of LEGO The Hobbitt and while it was good enjoyable fun, I was bummed out to find that the game ends after the events of the 2nd movie. Apparently upon release they announced that they would later have DLC added for TBoFA but that ended up being straight up cancelled a couple of months ago.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

el oso posted:

There was a sale on the PS4 version of LEGO The Hobbitt and while it was good enjoyable fun, I was bummed out to find that the game ends after the events of the 2nd movie. Apparently upon release they announced that they would later have DLC added for TBoFA but that ended up being straight up cancelled a couple of months ago.

Yeah it's kinda sad because it actually has the best mechanics of any Lego game I've played.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Bilbo's outfit in the last movie was so bad. Why would they make him wear this for the whole movie?

[img]http://www.nbr.co.nz/sites/default/files/styles/article_full_300w/public/story_imgs/Hobbit-3_0_0.jpg?itok=oTbOW64t][/img]

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

el oso posted:

Bilbo's outfit in the last movie was so bad. Why would they make him wear this for the whole movie?

[timg]http://www.nbr.co.nz/sites/default/files/styles/article_full_300w/public/story_imgs/Hobbit-3_0_0.jpg?itok=oTbOW64t][/timg]

While it doesn't look precisely good, it does fit the theme of a hobbit dragged away from his home and all the things he knows. Its the pocket hankerchief all over again, but now it's his entire outfit.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

It's not the first movie Freeman spent entirely in his bathrobe.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The Extended edition sure is...something. It embraces those goofy bits we saw a bit of in the main cut and runs with them to their logical conclusion, resulting in an r-rated, mega budget battle that's like Braveheart meets Asterix and Obelix. I know someone here said they don't know who that is, but that's on them. It pushes so far into goofyville it comes back out the side into funland for a lot of its length.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

jivjov posted:

While it doesn't look precisely good, it does fit the theme of a hobbit dragged away from his home and all the things he knows. Its the pocket hankerchief all over again, but now it's his entire outfit.

Yeah - Bilbo has reached the Dwarves' home, which was originally sold to him as being analogous to his Hobbit hole, so he's changed into comfortable homeware. But Erebor is in fact nothing at all like a Hobbit hole, so he looks ludicrously out of place, especially after Thorin adds some actually-location-appropriate armour to the whole ensemble.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm looking to buy/pre-order an extended edition trilogy set on Blu-Ray with all the appendices. On Amazon, Extended Edition Trilogy finds me a 3 disc Blu-Ray set, a 15 disc DVD set, and a 13 disc "multi-format" set. The only one of those that mentions appendices 7-12 is the DVD set.

I want to assume that the "3-disc" part of the blu-Ray set is an error, because aren't all the extended editions 2 discs anyway? So I think that's the one I should order; but does anyone know for sure?

(Bonus points, I'd really like it to match the form factor/look of the LotR box set.)

EDIT: Google turned up this image for me; but nothing on Amazon matches this, and I think it might possibly be a fan-made photoshop job? Found the source, that's a fan-made mockup, yeah.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 26, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
As far as I know the extended version of the last hobbit movie only just came out so they'll probably wait for a collection (either summer or next fall).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

computer parts posted:

As far as I know the extended version of the last hobbit movie only just came out so they'll probably wait for a collection (either summer or next fall).

Well, there are trilogy sets up for preorder, to be released next month, right now! I just need to find out if they have all the bonus feature stuff.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Apparently the EE has been out since Oct. 20th on digital DL but the bluray won't be out till Nov. 17th. I'm still waiting for the bluray because I'm a sperg who needs to complete the set even though I didn't much like the last movie. But has anyone seen the EE? Has it improved on things?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Gianthogweed posted:

Apparently the EE has been out since Oct. 20th on digital DL but the bluray won't be out till Nov. 17th. I'm still waiting for the bluray because I'm a sperg who needs to complete the set even though I didn't much like the last movie. But has anyone seen the EE? Has it improved on things?

Yeah. Most of it doesn't add a lot, but it does take the action scenes far enough into crazy territory that it actually works. Instead of being an odd mix of "gritty" and "cartoon"

The Horse in Tears
Nov 3, 2014
I watched it the other day just to get it over with. Only saw the theatrical once so I'm not sure what all was new. It didn't win me over or anything, but I'd say it's an improvement. Basically you can't go wrong with More Stuff Happening in Middle-earth, because that's all this trilogy is in the first place.

I'd say the EE connects the dots a little better, but the tone continues to switch between cartoon action/comedy and serious epic adventure. There's an entire new chase with a Dwarf chariot* in the style of the barrel scene, but then there's also a funeral montage that acts like these characters and their relationships carried any weight.

There's a nice little scene between Bilbo and Bofur, just like the one they had in the first one. CG Billy Connolly-Dwarf says "buggers" a couple more times.

*If you're confused about Dwalin and Kili's exchange regarding the troll, because I had to look up what the hell they were saying, it's "jambags". It doesn't have any jambags. Yeah.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Big surprise.

quote:

Peter Jackson has revealed he began filming his blockbuster Hobbit trilogy without proper preparation, in many cases shooting scenes without storyboards and completed scripts in a process he described as “making it up as I went along”.

In a remarkably candid behind-the-scenes video from the Battle of Five Armies DVD, the Oscar-winning New Zealander details the radical shift in preparation time between previous JRR Tolkien trilogy The Lord of the Rings, which he had three and a half years to prepare, and its sequel saga. Jackson took over directing duties in 2010 following the departure of Mexican director Guillermo Del Toro, and according to his comments in the new video had almost no time at all to prepare his vision before shooting began and he found himself plunged into 21-hour days.

“Because Guillermo Del Toro had to leave and I jumped in and took over, we didn’t wind the clock back a year and a half and give me a year and a half prep to design the movie, which was different to what he was doing,” reveals Jackson. “It was impossible, and as a result of it being impossible I just started shooting the movie with most of it not prepped at all.

“You’re going on to a set and you’re winging it, you’ve got these massively complicated scenes, no storyboards and you’re making it up there and then on the spot […] I spent most of The Hobbit feeling like I was not on top of it ][…] even from a script point of view Fran [Walsh], Philippa [Boyens] and I hadn’t got the entire scripts written to our satisfaction so that was a very high pressure situation.”

http://www.theguardian.com/film/201...-film_b-gdnfilm

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That being the case I'm impressed it turned out watchable at all.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

I respect for him being man enough to admit this along with the mediocrity of the films.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm happy the Hobbit trilogy exists way more for the fact that it was a production, than I do about the end results. I'm absolutely thrilled by the cumulative 30 hours of all-access we get to Jackson, Stone Street Studios, Weta, and all the actors and other crew, across the three bluray sets. It's loving heaven for people who are really nerdy about film production. The fact that I now own those blu-rays and can delve into all that stuff makes the three rather silly movies' existence worth it.

There are so many scenes that are really dumb on the screen, like everything in Laketown (actually, just everything in the third film), but I don't care how ridiculous it is, because watching hours of behind the scenes on the Laketown set is pure joy.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 20, 2015

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
So I finally saw the There and Back Again edit of the Hobbit films and I thought it was pretty good. It's still pretty goofy, but it feels like fun goofy instead of endless boring chase sequence goofy.

Also, it compresses the entire third movie into the last 20-30 mins, which makes all the CGI dwarves and elves way more bearable.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So sort of the Bored of the Rings approach.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Roadie posted:

So I finally saw the There and Back Again edit of the Hobbit films and I thought it was pretty good. It's still pretty goofy, but it feels like fun goofy instead of endless boring chase sequence goofy.

Also, it compresses the entire third movie into the last 20-30 mins, which makes all the CGI dwarves and elves way more bearable.

There's dozens of these fan edits, which one is the best/most professionally done?

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
On the bright side, the Hobbit films still don't hold a candle to the cringe-inducing god-awfulness of what became known as the Star Wars prequels.

TL;DR: Peter Jackson is still no George Lucas.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Hedrigall posted:

There's dozens of these fan edits, which one is the best/most professionally done?

The David Killstein edit is the one I saw. It tries to keep it kind of cartoony and fun while cutting out the endless chase sequences, romance stuff, pretty much all of the LotR foreshadowing, etc, as well as lot of the meaningless fighting. Basically, the "kid's movie" version.

I have no idea about the quality any others.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Immortan posted:

On the bright side, the Hobbit films still don't hold a candle to the cringe-inducing god-awfulness of what became known as the Star Wars prequels.

Agreed. They share similar issues, but dammit, Jackson was trying.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
:what: Really guys? Did you have to just bring in the stupid prequel hate into another thread.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Immortan posted:

Actually I think whatever arguments are made against the prequels can just as easily be made against The Hobbit. At least I remember parts of the prequels and I've not watched any of them since SITH came out. Of course Jackson won't get the same ire, but he should do. Yes it sucks he clearly didn't get to make the movies he wanted to, but those movies are still bad regardless of his intentions.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DrVenkman posted:

Actually I think whatever arguments are made against the prequels can just as easily be made against The Hobbit.

So, not very many legitimate ones.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

MonsieurChoc posted:

:what: Really guys? Did you have to just bring in the stupid prequel hate into another thread.

They know they can't get away with saying something as obviously dumb as "Lucas wasn't trying" and get away with it in the actual Star Wars thread.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Finally, the proof we need that Jackson thinks the movies are bad! In a behind the scenes video for the DVD he talks about delaying shooting to make sure he was properly prepared!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hbomberguy posted:

Finally, the proof we need that Jackson thinks the movies are bad! In a behind the scenes video for the DVD he talks about delaying shooting to make sure he was properly prepared!

He explicitly didn't do that. The first two came out pretty alright though, it's just the third I think really misses the mark.

“Because Guillermo Del Toro had to leave and I jumped in and took over, we didn’t wind the clock back a year and a half and give me a year and a half prep to design the movie, which was different to what he was doing,” reveals Jackson. “It was impossible, and as a result of it being impossible I just started shooting the movie with most of it not prepped at all.

I had thought Del Toro just did art design, like that one concept art for Smaug. I didn't know he was originally directing the whole thing.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Maybe you didn't watch the video the quotes are from? Right after saying that, he talks about putting the movie on hold until he was better prepared.

You've taken a person saying "things didn't feel right, so I delayed the movie and took my time deciding what I wanted to do and make the film the way I thought was right", and appear to have misread it as "things didn't feel right and so I did a bad job and did nothing to stop this".

The guy made Dead-Alive. Give him some credit.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

And in the end, the movie still sucked!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
He only put the brakes on for the third movie. The other two were just winging it with leftover DelToro props and Gandalf tears.

Does explain why the battle had all the weird Jackson flavor in it compared to the rest.

• Locked thread