Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Hermansen posted:

wiki spoilers:
Travel

I wonder how hamster's guys have been doing being abroad so much. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Sockington posted:

I wonder how hamster's guys have been doing being abroad so much. :3:

Merry Christmas from Austria India from the Top Gear blokes.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Top Gear proves that all you need in life is friends.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Mister Kingdom posted:

Merry Christmas from Austria India from the Top Gear blokes.

India special is going to be 90 minutes??? Thank you baby jesus!

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.

neckbeard posted:

India special is going to be 90 minutes??? Thank you baby jesus!

Just what I wanted for Christmas. :allears:

Hermansen
Sep 2, 2006

Breaker, Breaker,
High Ball, Ten Ten,
Till We Do It Again,
Captain Slow.
Why was it moved? I read it was going to air on the 25th a couple of weeks ago..
Dammit.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
I'm looking forward to the India special but I really want an Australian special.

We are pretty backwards and easy to make fun of. :3:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Artist's impression of a Top Gear special in the Australian outback.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Gave my dad season 15 for x-mas. Watched episode 1 this evening with the volcano trip and the Reliant Robin. Really bugged me when Jeremy took it to the shop and the A-Team theme was replaced with some generic buyout music, but aside from that it still held up and he loved it.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

tobu posted:

I'm looking forward to the India special but I really want an Australian special.

We are pretty backwards and easy to make fun of. :3:

I'm surprised there hasn't been an Aussie special. Bathurst and the Tassie Targa route could both make very awesome segments.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

A ute challenge consisting of picking up girls on the beach, Bathurst racing, outback crossing and farm work.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wXx973SkMV0#t=144s

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Ola posted:

A ute challenge consisting of picking up girls on the beach, Bathurst racing, outback crossing and farm work.

All at the same time, trying not to lose the girls in the process!

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 26, 2011

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

davebo posted:

Gave my dad season 15 for x-mas.
15? Jesus. I just started S3 on Netflix, since I've never watched more than YouTube clips. I'll eventually watch them all, but are there any recommendations on absolute must-see episodes?

VCR 2.0
Oct 5, 2007

Mad Dragon posted:

15? Jesus. I just started S3 on Netflix, since I've never watched more than YouTube clips. I'll eventually watch them all, but are there any recommendations on absolute must-see episodes?

All of the specials are amazing, especially the Vietnam one.

Honestly though I'd just work my way up chronologically, there aren't really any terrible episodes that I can think of, and there's a couple running jokes throughout the whole series.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
And once you hit season 7, they're only 6-8 episodes each anyway.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Some of the show isn't worth watching really, mainly the early stuff. It was by the middle of season 3 that the first good episodes started, and was hit and miss from there. The show is consistently very good from season 9 onwards.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Mad Dragon posted:

the Top Gear Polar Special is what I use to introduce people to the show :canada:. The Vietnam Special is also fantastic.

For regular episodes
S08E03 - Amphibious cars challenge
S10E07 - 1200 British Leyland cheap-car challenge
S10E09 - Top Gear enters the Britcar 24 Hour Endurance Race
S12E06 - Did the communists ever make a good car? A not-so-ordinary road test of the Ford Fiesta with the Royal Marines.
S13E02 - What is the perfect car for 17 year olds for 2,500?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
the series where they had two stars in every episode :ughh:

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Preoptopus posted:

the series where they had two stars in every episode :ughh:

series 11, yeah, the SIARPC segments were hurting there, but that series did have a solid amount of challenges/trips/everything else

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

neckbeard posted:

S12E06 - Did the communists ever make a good car? A not-so-ordinary road test of the Ford Fiesta with the Royal Marines.

These two episodes are among my personal favorites. Another worth checking out is S10E1 which they take a Murcelago Superleggera, 911 GT3 RS, and a V8 Vantage R through the alps looking for the best road in the world.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...
I never get enough of the ep where they did the Reliant Robin bit. No matter how predictable the next roll over was, I wet myself.

Ola posted:

Artist's impression of a Top Gear special in the Australian outback.

I was gonna reply mentioning how I loved the UK vs. Australia episode, particularly the race where the Aussies had to have the top-side vehicle up-side-down.

Edit: Where can I find the schedules to legitimately watch this in USA? Do they still have like a 2 week gapo on air dates from the UK to the US, or does BBC America now air them at the same time?... I suppose I could just go search Brighthouse's listings...

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Mad Dragon posted:

Pick up a subscription to Netflix streaming only ($8/month) and watch all of them in chronological order. It marks off the ones you've already watched as well. :) However, if you're looking for any cars in specific:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Top_Gear_episodes

Benjamin Disraeli
Oct 19, 2005

Let's have some fun
This beat is sick
Let's play a Love game!

neckbeard posted:

the Top Gear Polar Special is what I use to introduce people to the show :canada:. The Vietnam Special is also fantastic.

For regular episodes

I'd also like to add in a recommendation for the first US Special (the one where they go through the south in $1000 cars. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard for so long at a TV show and ever since then I've been hooked. The Botswana Special then had the same effect.

gently caress I'm excited for tomorrow...

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Does anyone know the episode where Clarkson is reviewing a supercar that is so easy to drive anyone could, and then it shows a dog driving it?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Two Finger posted:

Does anyone know the episode where Clarkson is reviewing a supercar that is so easy to drive anyone could, and then it shows a dog driving it?

Season 12 Episode 1, Gallardo LP560-4

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Here is a wiki of all the episodes and their contents.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Top_Gear_episodes

Hermansen
Sep 2, 2006

Breaker, Breaker,
High Ball, Ten Ten,
Till We Do It Again,
Captain Slow.
Ehm Hammond.. is that a fannypack?

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

neckbeard posted:

For regular episodes

Also, S15E01 - Jeremy attempts to discover why Reliant Robin went out of business by testing a 1994 model

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Mad Dragon posted:

I know a lot of people have already responded with great episodes, but may I recommend that you not just zip right to the best episodes and THEN go back and watch "the rest." Just start watching and let the better episodes hit you naturally. You don't want to blow your Top Gear wad all up front, do you?

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
James May has gotten pretty fat. Or pregnant.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Hate to say it, but I think I've watched better episodes of Top Gear US than this India episode.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Jonny Quest posted:

Hate to say it, but I think I've watched better episodes of Top Gear US than this India episode.

It certainly wasn't their strongest special. Most of the material felt recycled. It's certainly not as bad as what Top Gear US would have done.

They even acknowledge this a bit when Clarkson tells Richard that he'd gotten him a gift. Richard instantly says "Oh, let me guess. It's something impractical, a bit ridiculous and slightly too big to fit in the boot of a Mini"? Mind you this exchange happens in what is almost a carbon copy of a dinner scene from the Vietnam special.

Aurune fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Dec 29, 2011

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

BBC holiday specials for any show are usually extremely terrible on purpose, it's sort of a running gag, if anyone is unfamiliar with how these things work.

I haven't seen this episode yet, however, and it may be unintentionally bad?

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Piano posted:

BBC holiday specials for any show are usually extremely terrible on purpose, it's sort of a running gag, if anyone is unfamiliar with how these things work.

I haven't seen this episode yet, however, and it may be unintentionally bad?

It tries hard to be the Vietnam special all over again.

I really didn't enjoy it.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
There was definitely some intentional bad. I don't want to ever hear Top Gear Band ever again.

The banner thing was blatantly staged, though I still cracked up. Didn't forgive them spending so much time on a train. What's Top Gear doing taking a train?

Someone only got left behind once, and the cars didn't have much any troubles until Jeremy and May intentionally broke theirs, unnecessarily so (Hammond had no trouble later on without a raised suspension.) It didn't go nearly catastrophically wrong enough.

I liked the highway segment, though I can sorta see why they didn't do it throughout the episode.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Aurune posted:

It certainly wasn't their strongest special. Most of the material felt recycled. It's certainly not as bad as what Top Gear US would have done.

I don't know, did you watch the Top Gear US Alaska special? I thought it was charming, and the India special was just repetitive. The last UK special I thoroughly enjoyed was the South America special.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Indeed, most of the episode was terribly uninspired, although the train ads gave me a laugh. The party, especially the Top Gear band was just painful, although I'm curious how actually awkward it was to witness live.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
What a lovely special.
Top gear works best when the staged events don't seem staged at all, also when the focus is on CARS not a dinner party or a loving train.

They really need to mix things up a bit and stop recycling the same old jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

I enjoyed it for what it was, albeit I also watched it with a healthy glass of scotch that is now mostly gone. Favorite parts were the expression on Richard's face after they read the letter from the PM, and the yarbra tins still in the back of the Mini (though I didn't like the deliberate shot of them at the end, that was a bit too American comedy there). The other specials were better though, you could almost tell that they had a discussion that this episode didn't have enough anguish and decided they needed a camping trip, but even that was cut short. The biggest difference between this special and the others was the lack of personal tragedy and the teams triumph at the end over insurmountable odds. The hardest challenge they faced was the deadly roads of India, and that was only for a very short segment of the show. Even still, I did get some laughs, and even though I know the Mini segment was completely staged, I still laughed at Richards reaction and the other two's tormenting him afterward.