Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Xelkelvos posted:

It almost feels like they attempted that in this special given that two of the cars were about the same price, but there also wasn't much of a coherent theme between them.

And they were *so close* to being able to make it work here. "Here's fifteen grand, buy a car that was never available in the ex-Eastern Bloc" would have gotten them the Mitsuoka and the SSR, and James just has to go find an old TVR or XJS or an Alfetta and there you have a theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
I fell asleep at some point after they poked fun at James for missing the view of the lake, when I woke up I was wondering why they were talking about arrows and Nige had one in him.

Didn't feel like it was worth going back to find out.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
May and Hammond take Clarkson's car for a thrash around the track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhjHcHlmdA4

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Chris Knight posted:

Oh poo poo, I'm used to the stuff on Youtube just being clips of the show, that was cool to have extra content. Now I'm imagining Clarkson and Hammond cramming themselves in the Crosley

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

pik_d posted:

Oh poo poo, I'm used to the stuff on Youtube just being clips of the show, that was cool to have extra content. Now I'm imagining Clarkson and Hammond cramming themselves in the Crosley

There's actually been a fair bit of content outside of Amazon on Youtube of esp Hammond and May that is very good. May is May and Hammond becomes so much less idiot.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Chris Knight posted:

That extra bit is actually funnier than 90% of the special.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I like how all their banter sounded exactly like if they were doing a eulogy for Clarkson

HDC
Mar 11, 2006

Der Kyhe posted:

That extra bit is actually funnier than 90% of the special.

Calling a Silvia ”Primera” was a bit not good, though

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I thought it was alright. Not their best, not their worst. Worth watching once. The Nigel bits were the funniest, really all of the parts in the wax museum were great. I was hoping for awhile that they had a theme of visiting the 'second best' everything, but that didn't seem to go anywhere... and I thought the premise was 'cars nobody in their right mind would take on a road trip' which means James should have won, because that was the absolute worst car for the job, clearly.

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
As others have said, it was fine. They ticked all the boxes, but it doesn't seem like their old hearts are 100% in it.

Hammond roasting Jeremy about being too fat for the little car was great.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

CornHolio posted:

I thought it was alright. Not their best, not their worst. Worth watching once. The Nigel bits were the funniest, really all of the parts in the wax museum were great.

Agreed.

sock it to me! posted:

Also extremely good!

slandergoose
Jun 24, 2023

sock it to me! posted:

As others have said, it was fine. They ticked all the boxes, but it doesn't seem like their old hearts are 100% in it.

I felt the last one that their hearts were in it was the boat special in Cambodia.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Hoovie's been watching Top Gear.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Today's Drivetribe article is the closest to an old top gear segment in a while

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWCTmyOFKik

Even if it ends a bit too much as a grenadier ad in times.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2023/09/11/freddie-flintoff-top-gear-crash-bbc-crisis/

quote:

It was a cheering sight both for fans of cricket and Top Gear: Andrew “Freddie” Flintoff pictured at England’s one-day international series against New Zealand. In his first public appearance since he was injured in a driving stunt for the BBC motoring show nine months ago, Flintoff was seen with the England team at Cardiff’s Sophia Gardens. On Friday, he led drills with the players before watching the match from the balcony, and on Sunday was with the team in Southampton. Wearing an England training kit and bucket hat, he joked around with the team and smiled for photographers.

But while Flintoff’s familiar grin was in evidence, his emergence in public also revealed the shocking extent of his injuries. Few details of the former England star’s condition have been released since the crash at Top Gear’s Dunsfold Park Aerodrome test track in Surrey last December, when the three-wheel Morgan Super 3 he was driving flipped over at speed. He was airlifted to hospital. Fans were told that he had suffered broken ribs and facial injuries but Flintoff remained out of the public eye, save for a snatched paparazzi photograph of him in the passenger seat of a car, a scarf pulled up to cover his face.

Nine months on from the crash, Flintoff’s face bears a scar stretching from the bridge of his nose to his chin, suggesting multiple reconstructive operations and skin grafts. The right side of his face appears to show signs of nerve damage. On Friday, his nose was still covered with gauze and the grazes were fresh. The sight of Flintoff’s injuries at the crash scene were reportedly so traumatising that several members of the Top Gear crew were signed off with post-traumatic stress disorder.

Many of Flintoff’s friends were shocked by the pictures, having not seen the star since the crash.

“Freddie has been off the radar and clearly concentrating on healing as best he can,” said one. And while they are relieved to see that he is recovering, the sight of Flintoff has caused consternation elsewhere. At the BBC, the pictures could spell the end of Top Gear as we know it.

Story continues to discuss the future, but drat, poor Freddie :(

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Holy smokes. Glad he seems to be recovering OK

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's a wonder Hammond wasn't a brutal mess after his various crashes

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think the issue here was that the guy had an open face helmet in an open top car. Hammond usually had either a full face helmet, or was in an enclosed car.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

There is a tabloid trash in Finland saying that Flintoff has resigned and BBC had disbanded the production team, effectively ending the Top Gear for good. Is there anything real in this or is it just yellow press wanking?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Have a Deadline article saying basically the same thing https://deadline.com/2023/09/top-gear-team-dismantled-no-plans-new-series-following-freddie-flintoff-crash-1235548760/

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
I can't help but wonder how bad Flintoff would have looked just after the accident.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
In 8th grade gym class back a million years ago I saw a dude get hit full on in the face by a thrown shotput (it was horrible and his nose was somewhere else and his jaw was sideways and he was convulsing on the ground freaking out :smith:) and when the poor guy came back to school a year later (with some serious TBI issues as well) he looked about like Freddie does.

ExParrot
May 6, 2013

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
Word on the street is that the BBC have just axed Top Gear completely

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

ExParrot posted:

I can’t imagine it’s ever been as popular since the trio left. Probably a lot easier to do today.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Residency Evil posted:

I can’t imagine it’s ever been as popular since the trio left. Probably a lot easier to do today.

The latest replacement trio wasn't bad, but then Flintoff went to almost kill himself and resigned, giving BBC the excuse they have probably been looking for since Joey left.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 8, 2023

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

ExParrot posted:

The BBC has responded to those reports by saying they haven't made a decision yet, but they didn't say anything indicating it was going to resume production any time soon (or at all).

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/former-cricketer-andrew-flintoff-gets-17m-payout-for-top-gear-accident-20231014-p5ec7l.html

Well the BBC has to find a load of money for Flintoff so I wouldnt be surprised given thats two presenters that got messed up TG is done

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
https://www.drive.com.au/news/top-gear-australia-tv-show-revival-2024/

quote:

The Australian divisions of television giants BBC Studios and Paramount have confirmed Top Gear Australia will return in 2024, more than a decade after the local version of the world-famous British TV show was axed.

After reports of a Top Gear Australia revival circulated last week, BBC Studios Australia and New Zealand – the British broadcaster’s local division – and streaming service Paramount+ today announced the rebooted series will feature three new hosts when it airs next year.

Headlining the host line-up is Blair Joscelyne, better known as ‘Moog’ from the Australian automotive YouTube channel Mighty Car Mods.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

So one guy that actually knows poo poo about cars with a immense proven record of being a popular host and some really good offbrand stuff and two ..... who the gently caress are they?

BBC should have picked off at least one other Aust car yooootooober. Like ... Oh how about Dank Pods/Garbage Time? Ben Neal / BCM? There's afew running around that would be worth a shot

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

I hope they don't enforce a "TopGear media presence only" clause like with Rory Reed and Chris Harris, otherwise MCM fans are going to riot.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

"And now our long time returning guest, Marty!"

Fuller9x
Feb 15, 2005

Gimme Milk
Bring back Pizatti and Cox. TG-Australia in the multiple attempts were just starting to gel and do their own thing before they nuked everything and brought in generic obnoxious Clarkson clone #32.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

SlowBloke posted:

I hope they don't enforce a "TopGear media presence only" clause like with Rory Reed and Chris Harris, otherwise MCM fans are going to riot.
The Facebook post from MCM linked in the article says Marty's going to be doing things on his own for a while so it does seem that way.

It is a tricky situation when their type of content is not only in the same medium but also has a significant overlap with Top Gear. It's not hard to see how there could be conflicts any time a potential idea could work in either TG or MCM unless there are clearly defined boundaries. Unlike Chris and Rory whose individual content almost perfectly overlapped with their Top Gear content obviously MCM does a lot of real work and technical stuff that just isn't going to happen on camera in Top Gear, but still a lot of their "fun" content could easily be a TG bit.

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

Blair seems pretty cool for Top Gear AU - replace the other two with either Dankmus Nick or his friend James (or both!) and Ben Neal. three (or four) guys who actually know poo poo about cars

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

That picture just looks like Moog and the Aussie Property Brothers

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Chris Harris has been all in on Collecting Cars for a while so he must have known that TG wasn't going to be coming back. :rip:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Tonight on Top Gear, we find out what happens when the marketing team picks your presenters based on their glamour shots, we discuss how much starch you need for a jacket and Crocodile Dundee drives in our reasonably priced car!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
First Top gear and now The Grand Tour.

https://hworkshop.co.uk/2023/11/29/well-folks-its-a-wrap/

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
The Grand Tour ending wasn’t exactly a surprise - they said as much last year after James’ car accident (I think).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Also, while this may be the end of filming for the last episode, there's at least one more that wrapped earlier this year from what I understand. So, should be two more specials to air in 2024.