Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
TGT ending isnt a surprise, Clarkson is fat, unfit and got a another hit show to go to, Hammond seems more he wants to restore cars and James May got any number of quirky projects we'll all love to watch to do.

Whatever Amazon paid for the trio, I think they got their money's worth, esp with Clarkson's Farm taking off so unexpectedly like it has

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Hammond & May are having a lot of fun with the various YouTube things they're doing as well.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or4IE8fkpn4

I'll watch James narrate/do about anything, so, yeah.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I'm gonna assume that any discussions Amazon was having about extending Clarkson, Hammond and May's TGT run came to a pretty abrupt end after Clarkson wrote that column about Meghan Markle last December.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

azflyboy posted:

I'm gonna assume that any discussions Amazon was having about extending Clarkson, Hammond and May's TGT run came to a pretty abrupt end after Clarkson wrote that column about Meghan Markle last December.

I personally don't think that TGT was ever going to get extension unless Bezos finds a way to end free will, but it probably did shoot down any possibility for one-off specials or other future project prospects starring CMH as a trio.

I understood that May wants to take time off if not retire entirely, Clarkson always has new projects somewhere because he does get publicity whatever he does, and Hammond has something like 5 TV projects booked for the next year.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I thought it was really obvious that the Markle thing was just a way for them to say "these dudes are getting really old, we are just going to finish what we have planned and that's it. But we are saying the show is cancelled so you can all stop being offended." Then they did exactly that, but now people are genuinely shocked that the show is over? It's been clear to me for a while now that the grand tour was ending after they filmed what they had planned.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
To be frank grand tour was running on fumes, I felt that out of the specials only carnage a trois was fun, the rest of them were rather uninspired. Hammond is going to march on doing seven series at a time as per usual, May might be doing a travelogue if he feels like it (but i felt like his italian tour wasn't that fun for him, with the clownish stunts imposed by production, so maybe not) and Clarkson will ride the hype train with his farm until it gets shut down by the town. It's not like we won't see content from them ever again.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Amazon didn't even comment on the Markle thing and it was like one British tabloid that was running headlines that Amazon was going to cut ties and then nothing happened because no one in America gives two shits about the royal family. Besides, I'm pretty sure they had already said that they only had a few more specials left even before that article came out.

Look, we have a literal (proved in court) rapist with 91 felony charges against him that's the top pick for a major political party, a few years old misogynistic comments from a dinosaur TV presenter that has said far worse doesn't exactly penetrate the public awareness.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
May's cooking show is gross and he showers all the "food" with long gray hairs. He needs to have Nikki teach him some basic kitchen skills like using a knife as well, since he cuts carrots like a 4 year old. Maybe that is the point :newlol:

Maybe have Gordon Ramsey show up to yell at him as well.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

SlowBloke posted:

To be frank grand tour was running on fumes, I felt that out of the specials only carnage a trois was fun, the rest of them were rather uninspired. Hammond is going to march on doing seven series at a time as per usual, May might be doing a travelogue if he feels like it (but i felt like his italian tour wasn't that fun for him, with the clownish stunts imposed by production, so maybe not) and Clarkson will ride the hype train with his farm until it gets shut down by the town. It's not like we won't see content from them ever again.

Realistically only really interesting thing for them to do left was "across the USSR on Soviet shitboxes" they had been planning for ages, but BBC wouldn't foot the bill and at the Amazon when they switched to "adventures only"-format first came Covid-19 and then the war, so it never materialized. And I really don't think Clarkson could do such a journey anymore.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 30, 2023

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

SlowBloke posted:

May was supposed to go to the US for the second season of his travel show:

quote:

The travelogue will see May start from Cape Cod to Seattle, via New York, Detroit, Nashville, New Orleans, Houston, Santa Fe, Las Vegas, and LA, putting 奏he disappointment of 1776 behind him as he immerses himself completely in the real American way of life to discover its true flavour.

Italy got filmed instead because the US season got derailed due to COVID and visa issues at the time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Amazon didn't even comment on the Markle thing and it was like one British tabloid that was running headlines that Amazon was going to cut ties and then nothing happened because no one in America gives two shits about the royal family. Besides, I'm pretty sure they had already said that they only had a few more specials left even before that article came out.

Look, we have a literal (proved in court) rapist with 91 felony charges against him that's the top pick for a major political party, a few years old misogynistic comments from a dinosaur TV presenter that has said far worse doesn't exactly penetrate the public awareness.

I don't remember if Amazon publicly said anything, but a lot of outlets had sources telling them that Amazon would only be doing the planned episodes. To me it always sounded like Amazon didn't give a poo poo about the article but a bunch of whiners wanted "justice" so they just said that what was planned was all they would do because that was always the plan because the three are too old to keep going. Clarkson's Farm got renewed because it ended up being so popular.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
My wife and I are on camera three or four times in that first episode of The Grand Tour, and the trio were already tired of doing the show halfway through that taping. Not surprised at all they had a finite run of these planned. I'm sure it has nothing to do with Jeremy Clarkson writing an opinion article in a paper no one reads in America.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

azflyboy posted:

Amazon didnt care one second for what Clarkson said about Meghan Windsor, else they wouldn't have gone full tilt with Clarkson's Farm, which is one of the biggest shows they have now.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Meghan whining might have been a problem at the BBC, but no one else cares. Even to hardcore royalists, she's not a real royal anyway, because she's a commoner, an American commoner at that, and uhhhh probably other less polite reasons....

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Keyser_Soze posted:

Maybe have Gordon Ramsey show up to yell at him as well.

Are you aware they had a cooking competition against each other? If not, go watch it. Just type in "James May F Word" and watch the long version. This goes for anyone else here too.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク
We had a good run. I don't blame clarkson tho. He's been at it for over 30 years. I've only been working on and around cars for 15 and I hate most cars now.
I agree with the poster above, Richard is just gonna go all in on his resto business, Clarkson has his farm and James if he ever needed some extra money he could just take a lawn mower apart on YouTube and get millions of views but I'm sure he's set for life anyway with no kids and all.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I want to be James when I grow up.

(I'm already most of the way there)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
As long as James can walk and talk, he can keep doing travel series.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Cojawfee posted:

As long as James can walk and talk, he can keep doing travel series.

Does this make him the new Michael Palin when it comes to travel shows?

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
He痴 the new Rick Steves. Minus the Mom jeans.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

SlowBloke posted:

To be frank grand tour was running on fumes, I felt that out of the specials only carnage a trois was fun, the rest of them were rather uninspired.

I agree with you that TGT was uninspired compared to peak TG but as a counterpoint my children, who have not been exposed to 20 years of May, Hammond and Clarkson think TGT is a great show full of dumb people being idiots and they love it.

Just saying that a lot of the audience probably has really high expectations that might be a little unreasonable.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Do they have any completed films from this last season?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Our Man In India trailer out
https://twitter.com/mrjamesmay/status/1732026013918405091

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I haven't watched any of the "Our man in ***" shows. Are they generally good? Tbqh I think the only May show I've watched was that old wine show he did in...France?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Our Man In Japan is fantastic, I haven't watched the Italian one yet but I recall the general reaction being "less good".

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I make it a point to watch anything James May is in, regardless of how dumb it sounds.

To that end, Our Man in Japan is top rate. Lots of prime James May laughs (worth it for the robot episode alone imo). Our Man in Italy is fine, but definitely missable.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Residency Evil posted:

I haven't watched any of the "Our man in ***" shows. Are they generally good? Tbqh I think the only May show I've watched was that old wine show he did in...France?

The first one is good, the second one wastes too much time on weird contests from the producers. I hope it痴 similar to the first rather than the second season.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Grumpwagon posted:

I make it a point to watch anything James May is in, regardless of how dumb it sounds.
I mean, same, but yeah Our Man In Japan is the better of the two so far.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Bim!

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Japan is also helped by it being genuinely foreign to him, while too much of Italy is reflecting on British stereotypes or contrasting British with Italian-ness. Hope India by its nature leans more into the former.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Italy felt a bit imbalanced in comparison as well. Overall the series is some fun light entertainment though. India should be fun.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The Oz & James series remain better than both locations, but there's some decent parts in the "Our Man" shows.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Another season of Hammond's workshop is over according to Trakt, I知 starting to lose interest since it痴 always the same issues every year.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Liking India so far, one episode in. It was a good move to frame his first day in Mumbai with getting paired with a standup comedian, it really helps with the "laughing with rather than at" aspect. Plus they get in some good roasts on him

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Oh man that poster painter guy is fantastic.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Feb 16 for the new one
https://twitter.com/mrjamesmay/status/1753378759095255260

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Is that it? Are there any more in the editing room?

Also I enjoyed James May in India, shame it was only three episodes for such a large country, but they were good fun.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

pik_d posted:

Is that it? Are there any more in the editing room?

Also I enjoyed James May in India, shame it was only three episodes for such a large country, but they were good fun.

Should be one more after this I believe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

hopterque posted:

Should be one more after this I believe

And its already filmed, if I understood correctly and coming out later this year.