Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

BobTheFerret posted:

Jeremy really needs to tone down his politics a bit on the show - the occasional comment about poor folks can be amusing (it would be funnier if he didn't seem to genuinely think that the rich are Better than the poor), but at this point "right wing rear end in a top hat" is his entire persona.

To wit, the last line of that Guardian article: <quote from QI>
Ah yes, the infamous quote he said on QI about the striking workers. The thing is most of the media totally cut the poo poo out of that monologue and only went with that line. The setup for that comment was "The BBC has to be impartial (to keep the right wing politicians and Rupert Murdoch happy cos they think the BBC is a lefty organisation) so here is the view from the opposite side of the fence"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The pensions thing is all bullshit anyway. Even what they're complaining about is a killer deal compared to anyone in the private sector, they need to get some drat perspective.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
We must all bow down before the private sector for it is our lord, our god, our saviour.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cloudchamber posted:

We must all bow down before the private sector for it is our lord, our god, our saviour.
Sorry, you're going to have to do better than that if you're fishing these waters.

Back to TG-related nonsense:
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/index.php?Itemid=81&id=4369&option=com_content&task=view

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Still bitter there's no chance of them visiting http://www.bigmeet.com/ and messing around for even a little segment of an episode.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Aurune posted:

I don't know. Having a piping hot fresh curry delivered from home sounds way better than one reheated in a microwave.

Is it really piping hot after an hour in a tin? I'm guessing it's more about the time it takes to cook and the hours the man gets up and goes to work.

edit: Clarkson didn't say the "kill the strikers" on QI (but the BBC moved the QI episode because of it), it was on a morning chat show promoting one of his books for Christmas. That or the Top Gear special. And it wasn't that bad, it was a better joke than the Mexican bullshit. It does seem quite hypocritical for him to rail against public sector when the license payer has given him the grand lifestyle he has.

Ola fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jan 15, 2012

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin
Are the episodes on the DVDs the same as the ones that aired, or are they the edited down with different music versions like on BBC-America and Netflix?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

DarkPrime posted:

Are the episodes on the DVDs the same as the ones that aired, or are they the edited down with different music versions like on BBC-America and Netflix?

Same as BBCA/Netflix.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Ola posted:

It was weird how an entire service sector was dedicated to shipping lunch. If you want to make some money, start selling tupperware and microwaves in India.

When I was working dumb shifts & couldn't sleep I watched an absolutely fascinating 2 hour program on this system, they covered the reason it prevails in some detail - basically they wouldn't 'trust' food prepared by someone other than their family, there's also a lot of Pride - if that's the right word - in the wife feeding the husband regardless of what distance separates them.

Throwing my weight in with the generally disappointed side, they spent too much money on the cars, spent too much time on pre-scripted cringe-worthy poo poo like the dinner party, ruined the cars for no good reason.

The only part that felt genuine was the Jaguar Cricket :3:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cakefool posted:

The only part that felt genuine was the Jaguar Cricket :3:

I was wondering why nobody had mentioned that yet. Looked fun as hell, in the way that only something invented on the spur of the moment can be.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Cakefool posted:

When I was working dumb shifts & couldn't sleep I watched an absolutely fascinating 2 hour program on this system, they covered the reason it prevails in some detail - basically they wouldn't 'trust' food prepared by someone other than their family, there's also a lot of Pride - if that's the right word - in the wife feeding the husband regardless of what distance separates them.

Do you happen to have a link? Its sounds really interesting.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
One thing I am surprised about : We haven't heard a peep from anyone about them venting AC refrigerant to atmosphere. You'd have thought at least someone would have got on their high horse about it.

VVVV: Minor things like that don't seem to stop people.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 16, 2012

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

InitialDave posted:

One thing I am surprised about : We haven't heard a peep from anyone about them venting AC refrigerant to atmosphere. You'd have thought at least someone would have got on their high horse about it.

I'm pretty sure that was a scripted event too. I mean, it had to be balls hot in India and you're going to just toddle along with your window down if your AC works? I doubt it.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

MrLonghair posted:

Still bitter there's no chance of them visiting http://www.bigmeet.com/ and messing around for even a little segment of an episode.

After putting up with Power Big Meet for five summers, this is first time it's ever occurred to me that I could feel bad for them.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

cloudchamber posted:

Do you happen to have a link? Its sounds really interesting.

The channel I watched it on is no longer on my satellite package so I can't even tell you the channel name. I know the BBC did a documentary on it, there should also be one by NatGeo.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
God Will I AM or whomever he is looks so silly.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
I enjoyed that episode more than I have in a while. Seems more natural than some of the last few episodes.

backifran
Mar 22, 2009

I love BYOB

Djarum posted:

God Will I AM or whomever he is looks so silly.

Also looked really miserable and like he hated every single second of being there..

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
There are questions about CPR for a driver's test in the UK? What other non-driving things do they ask about?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
That was the first time I've ever wandered out of the room to do something else during SIARPC.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
SIARPC was awful but overall a solid back to basics episode. Here's to a good season!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hammond sure did seem to want everyone to know he'd been working out or something.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Fantastic episode! Loved the race around Imola.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Really enjoyed that episode. iPlayer must be getting hammered though, when I tried to start watching it I had to reload about fifteen times before it would play.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
I can't wait for the Chinese Stig.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I can't wait to learn how a cam shaft works.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
I really hope IAMAUTO never actually reaches production

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Seemed like the flames lasted a long loving time on the track from the lambo. Is that the lambo burning off excess fuel?

PK
Apr 30, 2004

EXFOLIATE! EXFOLIATE! EXFOLIATE!

Data Graham posted:

Hammond sure did seem to want everyone to know he'd been working out or something.

I thought he looked buffer but I wasn't quite sure. Also, I liked the return of May's "fizz".

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I can't get over how good all three of those cars sounded. Great episode, but I didn't even try to watch the SIARPC. Will.I.Am? Really?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I can't get over how good all three of those cars sounded. Great episode, but I didn't even try to watch the SIARPC. Will.I.Am? Really?

Yeah it was entirely forgettable.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

coolskillrex remix posted:

Seemed like the flames lasted a long loving time on the track from the lambo. Is that the lambo burning off excess fuel?
Afterburners duh.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

coolskillrex remix posted:

The fact that there is unburned fuel in the exhaust seems kind of bad. But perhaps there are igniters in the exhaust to create that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What I want to know is, how does someone so incoherent get to be a captain of entrepreneurialism or whatever he is? He's like, "I'm driving along one day *mimes driving with hands on the wheel going up and down* and I go, shucks, I wonder how much it would cost to make a car? *keeps miming driving along, makes beep-beep-vroom noises*"

*Venture capitalists start hurling giant bricks of money*

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Just watched it. Actually kind of surprised that he didn't mention that "his" car is made from a DeLorean. Or that Clarkson didn't mention it, seeing as how he hates them.

The rest of the episode: really great stuff. No needless japery, just great cars and really interesting to see them pushing themselves to the limit. Hope the season continues like this. The Aventador looks amazing, but I'm really digging the McLaren. I think James really sold it - would have been good to know more about that gearbox. I don't remember Clarkson talking about it much in his review? Also nice to see a Noble get a bit of exposure... I suspect Clarkson secretly likes those cars.

echoplex fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 30, 2012

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Great episode, aside from SIARPC. Will I am was completely forgettable.

whiskas
May 30, 2005
I really hope they show James driving in a sleeping bag while racing Jeremy who's sewing a button on his shirt.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

echoplex posted:

I suspect Clarkson secretly likes those cars.

In one of his specials he refuses to drive a Noble as he says he cant do it justice being he would nitpick about the air conditioning and color of the leather, being he is so used to companies who probably spend more on designing a shift knob than the noble team spent designing the entire car.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
What an episode, I was sad to see it over so soon! Then I remembered that the episode was almost over when I had to sit through that very awkward and silly SIARPC session, I felt like the only reason he was there to was to promote his car and to "try it out".

Otherwise, very impressive I cannot wait till next Sunday. Massive improvement from the Christmas Special :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.

destructo posted:

Afterburners duh.

There may be something to this...

(Some googling shows that "Thrust Mode" is actually launch control)