Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

sean10mm posted:

All the presenters were new... and he took the writing staff down to one guy?

:master:

Again, who the gently caress thought letting Evans be the creative lead as well as host was a good idea and why has this person or people not been outed and sacked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I'm just happy this is the BBC and they're willing to identify and correct mistakes. LA networks would have either doubled down on Evans or just cancelled the show entirely.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

It's entirely possible he wouldn't have gone anywhere without the sex offence investigation, which is alarming but the main thing is that he's gone.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah his leaving was perfectly timed with the sex offence allegation. If that didn't pop up, he'd probably still be running Top Gear. Not adding a new host and letting LeBlanc, Harris, and Reid take over wasn't because we wanted it, it was just the easiest thing to do.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah his leaving was perfectly timed with the sex offence allegation. If that didn't pop up, he'd probably still be running Top Gear. Not adding a new host and letting LeBlanc, Harris, and Reid take over wasn't because we wanted it, it was just the easiest thing to do.

They've left sex offenders on air for decades. I can't imagine the tanking ratings, and total public disdain for him, helped things.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

They've left sex offenders on air for decades. I can't imagine the tanking ratings, and total public disdain for him, helped things.

Did those people include police investigations?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Cojawfee posted:

Nah, cause they covered them up for thirty years with the help of the police.

BBC is basically a low rent version of the Catholic church. Both demand a portion of your money to be a member, then they gently caress your kid.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah, Chris Evans has a police investigation against him. So they can't really sweep that under the rug.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Cojawfee posted:

The police investigated so they knew how to help with the coverup.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
He's still on Radio 2 for three hours every weekday, so it's not like the BBC totally dropped him or anything. If the investigation was the most important part shouldn't it put that in question too rather than just the show he was almost singlehandedly tanking?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Didn't he already confess to whipping his old chap out randomly?

I really hope there isn't anything else worse that he's been doing...

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
If the BBC dropped all the presenters who were under police suspicion, we'd have to bring back the testcard during peak hours.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

spog posted:

If the BBC dropped all the presenters who were under police suspicion, we'd have to bring back the testcard during peak hours.

Even Dimbleby?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
They need to at least test Rowan Atkinson for presenting on the next series.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Only if he stays in character as Mr. Bean the entire time.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

He would be great at commentating SIARPC laps.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Wheeee posted:

A mute Atkinson is still better than Evans.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Wheeee posted:

Atkinson is pretty good in other roles too you know.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Xelkelvos posted:

Atkinson is pretty good in other roles too you know.

I haven't watched Maigret Sets a Trap yet, but I hear he's very good in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QLxIBkewLw

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
For reference as to why Rowan might be at least an above average Top Gear host, his SiaRPC segment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOg_smPzq5A

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

When my mechanic and I have to fill up one of us invariably says "petrol pumP"

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Wheeee posted:

BlackAdder or GTFO

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

BlackAdder or GTFO

A Top Gear challenge is the perfect venue for...

...a cunning plan!

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

sean10mm posted:

...a cunning plan!

I want that so much.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

sean10mm posted:

...a cunning plan!

Yes; this is exactly what I didn't know I wanted.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The way the BBC has handled Top Gear post-Clarkson it's more likely we get Johnny English 3 instead.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

sean10mm posted:

...a cunning plan!

:gizz:

Please make this happen BBC!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

sean10mm posted:

...a cunning plan!

Instead of The Stig, we can have The Baldrick.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Instead of The Stig, we can have The Baldrick.

I give this car 3 turnips

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The best comedy character to host Top Gear is clearly Alan Partridge. He could do a historical look at the best Lexi for instance.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
Have you already forgotten Crash! Bang! Wallop! What a Video!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-q0437X5uA

Tonight on Top Gear - I drive from Norwich to Aberdeen... with no shoes on

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

PT6A posted:

:gizz:

Please make this happen BBC!

This thread isn't for talking about your sexual preferences.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Don't think this got posted yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8NpMoRqa8U

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Jesus he looks bad. Is he seriously hungover?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Two Finger posted:

Jesus he looks bad. Is he seriously hungover?

That's what British people look like without a state level enterprise doing makeup on them.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Ola posted:

The best comedy character to host Top Gear is clearly Alan Partridge. He could do a historical look at the best Lexi for instance.

Steve Coogan is also a confirmed petrolhead, and iirc used to contribute to Evo.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2011/feb/05/top-gear-offensive-steve-coogan

He's a bit of a dick, though

quote:

As a huge fan of Top Gear I normally regard the presenters' brand of irreverence as a part of the rough and tumble that goes with having a sense of humour. I've been on the show three times and had a go at their celebrity-lap challenge, and I would love to receive a fourth invite. But I think that's unlikely once they have read this. If, however, it makes the Lads question their behaviour for a second – ambitious, I know – it will be worth it.

I normally remain below the parapet when these frenetic arguments about comedy and taste break out. But this time, I've had enough of the regular defence you tend to hear – the tired line that it's "just a laugh", a bit of "harmless fun".

Some of the Lads' comments again, in case you missed them. "Mexican cars are just going to be lazy, feckless, flatulent, overweight, leaning against a fence asleep looking at a cactus, with a blanket with a hole in the middle on as a coat" (Richard Hammond). Mexican food is "sick with cheese on it" (James May).

Jeremy Clarkson added to the mirth by suggesting that the Mexican ambassador (a certain Eduardo Medina-Mora Icaza) would be so busy sleeping he wouldn't register any outrage. (He wasn't and he did.)

OK, guys, I've got some great ideas for your next show. Jeremy, why not have James describe some kosher food as looking like "sick with cheese on it"? No? Thought not. Even better, why not describe some Islamic fundamentalists as lazy and feckless?

Feel the silence. They're all pretty well organised these days, aren't they, those groups? Better stick to those that are least problematic.

Old people? Special needs? I know – Mexicans! There aren't enough of them to be troublesome, no celebrities to be upset. And most of them are miles and miles away.

The BBC's initial mealy-mouthed apology was pitiful. It cited the more benign rivalry that exists between European nations (ah, those arrogant French, over-organised Germans), and in doing so neatly sidestepped one hugely important fact – ethnicity. All the examples it uses to legitimise this hateful rubbish are relatively prosperous countries full of white people. How about if the Lads had described Africans as lazy, feckless etc? Or Pakistanis?

What's more, this was all spouted by the presenters on one of the BBC's most successful programmes, with ratings that could only fail to impress Simon Cowell (very fast lap time). Forget the World Service; overseas, Top Gear is more frequently the public face of the BBC.

The Beeb's hand-wringing suggested tolerance of casual racism, arguably the most sinister kind. It's easy to spot the ones with the burning crosses. Besides, there is not a shred of truth in Top Gear's "comic" stereotype. I can tell you from my own experience, living in the US, Mexicans work themselves to the bone doing all the dirty thankless jobs that the white middle-class natives won't do.

What makes it worse is that the Lads wear this offensive behaviour as a badge of pride, pleased that they have annoyed those whom they regard, in another lazy stereotype, as sandal-wearing vegans with beards and no sense of humour.

Well here's some Twitter hot news: I don't have a beard, I'm not a vegan, I don't wear sandals (unless they're Birkenstocks, of course), and I have, I think, a sense of humour. I also know something about comedy. It's true there are no hard fast rules; it's often down to judgment calls. It's safe to say, though, that you can get away with saying unsayable things if it's done with some sense of culpability.

I've been fortunate enough to work with the likes of Peter Baynham, Armando Iannucci, Chris Morris, Simon Pegg, Julia Davis, Caroline Aherne, Ruth Jones, and the Mighty Boosh – some of the funniest and most innovative people in British comedy. And Rob Brydon too.

It's a diverse, eclectic group of people with one common denominator: they could all defend and justify their comedy from a moral standpoint. They are laughing at hypocrisy, human frailty, narrow-mindedness. They mock pomposity and arrogance.

If I say anything remotely racist or sexist as Alan Partridge, for example, the joke is abundantly clear. We are laughing at a lack of judgment and ignorance. With Top Gear it is three rich, middle-aged men laughing at poor Mexicans. Brave, groundbreaking stuff, eh?

There is a strong ethical dimension to the best comedy. Not only does it avoid reinforcing prejudices, it actively challenges them. Put simply, in comedy, as in life, we ought to think before we speak. This wasn't one of those occasions. In fact, the comments were about as funny as a cold sweat followed by shooting pains down the left arm. In fact, if I can borrow from the Wildean wit of Richard Hammond, the comic approach was "lazy", "feckless" and "flatulent".

Richard has his tongue so far down the back of Jeremy's trousers he could forge a career as the back end of a pantomime horse. His attempt to foster some Clarkson-like maverick status with his "edgy" humour is truly tragic. He reminds you of the squirt at school as he hangs round Clarkson the bully, as if to say, "I'm with him". Meanwhile, James May stands at the back holding their coats as they beat up the boy with the stutter.

It's not entirely their fault, of course. Part of the blame must lie with what some like to call the "postmodern" reaction to overzealous political correctness. Sometimes, it's true, things need a shakeup; orthodoxies need to be challenged. But this sort of ironic approach has been a licence for any halfwit to vent the prejudices they'd been keeping in the closet since Love Thy Neighbour was taken off the air.

Also, a factor little picked up on elsewhere in the Lads' remarks is that they do, after all, present a car show. And archaic attitudes are endemic in a lot of motoring journalism. I confess I am an avid consumer and I have to wade through a sea of lazy cliches to get to anything genuinely illuminating.

Jeremy unwittingly cast the template for this. Twenty years ago, when I bought Performance Car magazine, his column was the first I would turn to. It was slightly annoying but unfailingly funny. Since then there have been legions of pretenders who just don't pass muster. There is a kneejerk, brainless reaction to any legislation that may have a detrimental effect on their God-given right to drive cars anywhere at any speed that they consider safe. They often remind me of the National Rifle Association in the US. It's a kind of "airbags are for poofs" mentality and, far from being shocking, it's just shockingly dull.

It would be fine if it was confined to a bunch of grumpy men in bad jeans smoking Marlboros at the side of the Millbrook test track, but it's not. As I pointed out, it's the voice of one of the BBC's most successful programmes.

The Lads have this strange notion that if they are being offensive it bestows on them a kind of anti-establishment aura of coolness; in fact, like their leather jackets and jeans, it is uber-conservative (which isn't cool).

Gentlemen, I don't believe in half-criticisms and this has nothing to do with my slow lap times. But, increasingly, you each look like a middle-aged punk rocker pogoing at his niece's wedding. That would be funny if you weren't regarded by some people as role models. Big viewing figures don't give you impunity – they carry responsibility. Start showing some, tuck your shirts in, be a bit funnier and we'll pretend it all never happened.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

I remember reading that when it came out. That's certainly the kind of dickishness I can get behind. But I guess I'm more of a James May than a Jeremy Clarkson if there were a facebook quiz of which TopGear host are you?

Edit: Who am I kidding, I'm Hammond aren't I

davebo fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 13, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

To be fair, the attacks on Mexicans were pretty unfunny and downright stupid. On the other hand, the manufactured controversies about the infamous number plate in Argentina or "slope", an apparently racist term that no one I talked to had ever heard of, are something entirely different.

Mind you, having tasted English cooking on some memorable occasions, I can see why they find Mexican food unpalatably non-bland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Thing is though, Coogan is bang on in that.