Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm not sure if I'm ready for Clarkson being Clarkson on the topic of Hungary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
:toot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAOZxT-NWLY

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

So is this the last one?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No, I think they are contacted for 3 more after this one.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know if it's that many, but there are definitely more. When Jeremy got "cancelled" again, Amazon basically said "ok, we'll do everything we had agreed to and then it's done." Which was probably the plan anyway

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There was an article on Jan which mentioned 4 more at the time, expected to stretch into 2024.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Wow, Final Countdown is really expensive to license, isn't it?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Why is the titties n beer car right hand drive?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Those Hungarian horse archers :kingsley:

Edit: why is there no :hungary:

withak fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 16, 2023

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

the Mitsuoka driving around with candelabras on the front fenders, plus Richard's Nigel Mansell voice, had me in stitches

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I think I'm over this never thought I would say it. Predictable forced trash. They are sick of it. It's obvious.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I'm drunk

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I :lol:ed at the lunch table so carefully festooned in empty beer bottles, but the amazon editors were having none of it.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

After the Formula East it gets a tad bit boring to be honest. Its a middling road trip-feature from a forgettable episode, just without the "back to the studio" part.

They did absolutely nothing with Hammond's car, and May's alleged car was too over-the-top shitbox.

And I actually liked Jeremy's car more after they added the dalmatian interior.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 16, 2023

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I can't believe they let May take such a lovely car. I guess they probably script it that way, but it always seems like he never understands what they are doing and just picks something that seemed interesting.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That Mitsuoka is basically the same thing as this isn't it?

https://journal.classiccars.com/2018/09/15/kit-car-based-on-88-mercury-cougar/

I saw like 1 million of these tooling around California in the 90s

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, the basic design seems to have kicked around from one company to another, who adapted to various autos through the 80s and 90s.

As to the show, it was pretty meh. They tried hard but were just going through the motions, being good sports to fulfill their contracts. Their hearts aren't in it, though.

Very scripted, very well-rehearsed "spontaneity." Hit all the expected notes for a TG road trip without deviating much from the formula. Pleasant enough if I just turned my brain off and enjoyed it, but very predictable and tame. Two stars out of five

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
That Le Mans Skoda was very cool.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Thinking back on it, you're right, there wasn't really much to this episode. Aside from James' car being absolute poo poo, this was nothing more than a road trip that someone filmed. I get they can't live in the wilderness like they used to, but this was just a vacation. I really enjoyed the formula race, I enjoyed them looking at those cars. Everything else was just going to a tourist destination and looking at it. The "challenges" weren't really anything. I think throwing that car down the ski slope was just to force James to keep driving his car because it wasn't even broken, just slow. I guess there's a couple more, but I'm not really expecting much out of them. I can see why they are winding it down, and Jeremy getting "canceled" again was probably a good thing for them. The challenges used to be "It's not possible to take a car from this place to this place, prove us wrong." And this was just "go find a weird car, drive it on these smoothly paved highways for a week".

Data Graham posted:

I immediately thought of the one that was built off fox body mustangs. I don't understand how there could be that many people that thought it was good.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

lol yeah as soon as I saw Clarkson's car I was looking at the windows to check if it was the Cougar/Thunderbird kit.

What a waste of some very pretty scenery both in town and out. May's car was just idiotic and clearly chosen for him for fake drama purposes. As if he hadn't already gotten the short end of the stick in the previous trip!

Could have been fun if a bit uninspiring, but it was decided to be stupid. Like, even if they had to saddle someone with a bad car, they could have stuck to the theme and given an Iron Curtain leftover.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
To be honest I watched it and felt the same feeling about the May Man in X specials, nobody was incredibly invested in it and all the stunts were forced by writers that thought to be far funnier than what they really were. It's not like there weren't enough meat about motoring in Eastern Europe, they could have done half of the special just about all the weird Skoda specials.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I had no idea Formula Easter was a thing, that's a fascinating subject that maybe they should have centered an entire documentary style episode around. Or they could have mentioned it in any of their previous Soviet-Bloc car shows

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

I had no idea Formula Easter was a thing, that's a fascinating subject that maybe they should have centered an entire documentary style episode around. Or they could have mentioned it in any of their previous Soviet-Bloc car shows

Probably means they didn't discover it until doing research for this episode.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I was surprised to hear how negative the reactions were here. I didn't think it was A tier classic stuff, but for late grand tour, I really enjoyed it

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Grumpwagon posted:

I was surprised to hear how negative the reactions were here. I didn't think it was A tier classic stuff, but for late grand tour, I really enjoyed it

I think that it wasn't funny at all, just May being miserable and a few nice panning shots via drone. There is far worse on tv but one would hope they get something fun out of an hour and change of playtime.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I prefer episodes where Clarkson suffers with the worst car but this one was fine. I didnt know about Formula Easter either, and the shot of the important bit flying off Hammonds car was excellent. And of course Nigel stole the show.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It made me want to some day check out Lake Bled. That looked really cool.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Cojawfee posted:

It made me want to some day check out Lake Bled. That looked really cool.

I live relatively near and I can confirm it's pretty nice to visit, prices have sorta skyrocketed in recent years tho.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Grumpwagon posted:

It wasn't bad, it was just tired and a repeat of old jokes told many times. It felt uninspired. It seemed to be done by checklist, not joy.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
God, Clarkson's gotten fat. His jowls are the most visible I've ever seen. (I didn't watch Clarkson's Farm S2)

I assume the whole theme of this road trip that was cute is the 2nd World and other #2s.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Fresh new video from Harry's Garage, interviewing a certain improvised farmer about range rovers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS54AJSadT4

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
I will say that lake is now on a list of places in Europe I want to visit

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Ohtsam posted:

I will say that lake is now on a list of places in Europe I want to visit

I might partial to it, but if you are across the atlantic, get to Europe via Ronchi/Trieste airport and then drive by Bled. Slovenian airports have always gave me a bad vibe.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

It wasn't bad, it was just tired and a repeat of old jokes told many times. It felt uninspired. It seemed to be done by checklist, not joy.

Yes, this 100%. It wasn't bad, it was dull.

The only interesting thing was the Formula East, and everything else was just a very mediocre roadtrip by Hammond and Clarkson, May being stuck behind with a shitbox that wasn't even an Eastern European commie car, like the backup car wasn't, and not engaging with any of the places they visited. I personally find May most of the time most interesting of the trio, and he now has been sidelined in two trips in a row. Actually on most post-studio Grand Tour, now that I think about it.

And they even didn't come up with anything to do with the pickup/sportscar abomination Hammond brought with him. I don't think they even bother to open the tailgate once during the entire episode, let alone do anything interesting with it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That may be because there's nothing interesting you CAN do with an SSR, but proving that isn't very interesting either

Also wasn't it at least sort of plausible at one point in the distant past that they themselves had done the pranks on each other's cars? Installing candelabras is sort of in the spirit of super-gluing the audio system on full, but a full-coverage dalmatian upholstery job is just ... guys gimme a break

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The archery bit was kinda cool incidentally. Some of those hits were pretty incredible, though the fact that there were no arrows stuck in anything BUT the targets made me think of that diagram of the WWII plane flak damage

Seeing short Hungarian-style bows in action was cool in any case. They somehow got through that segment without talking about Agincourt

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

compared to their peak this poo poo is dire isn't it? id honestly rather they all rolled into a country pub carpark in one of their own cars, sat at a table outside and drank one beer while a phone on the table streamed it and then ended it after 1hr.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Qmass posted:

compared to their peak this poo poo is dire isn't it? id honestly rather they all rolled into a country pub carpark in one of their own cars, sat at a table outside and drank one beer while a phone on the table streamed it and then ended it after 1hr.

I think that the Clarkson talks poo poo at a pub table videos on drivetribe youtube channel did quite the views. It's almost as they forgot that a lot of people watched top gear for the news segment banter. They could do a monthly podcast with the same amount of effort as the post covid specials and rake in much more hits. Stuff like https://podcasts.apple.com/it/podcast/smith-and-sniff/id1507539214

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jun 18, 2023

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

That or the old school "here's 5000 quid, what can we buy that ends up both crap and loveable". It feels like they've ended up just going more to either extreme recently, rather than that sweet spot in the middle. And yes, I know, they haven't done exactly that in many a year, but still.

Jean-Paul Shartre fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jun 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

JohnCompany posted:

That or the old school "here's 5000 quid, what can we buy that ends up both crap and loveable". It feels like they've ended up just going more to either extreme recently, rather than that sweet spot in the middle. And yes, I know, they haven't done exactly that in many a year, buy still.

It almost feels like they attempted that in this special given that two of the cars were about the same price, but there also wasn't much of a coherent theme between them.