Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Muffinpox posted:

So I take it you've never actually listened to any BEP because she literally sings like that in a good 80% of their tracks? Also consistently wears more clothes than that video in the BEP videos? Reading this thread made it seem like Will.i.am sat there pretending to care but his interiew was pretty interesting, I'd say it was just average at worst.
But we know who this guy is, we can finally complain as we have a point of reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
But don't you see? He's just trying to build a car using parts of other cars as the major basis, and he's doing it in some industrial-estate workshop in a "meh" part of the country.

You know, like Noble.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

InitialDave posted:

You know, like Noble.

Without yaknow, the engineering prowess, or any desire to do anything but make a pretty car.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This new episode is a great start for the season, really enjoyed it with the usual exception of SIARPC, which wasn't too bad I guess. I had no idea who that guy was supposed to be up until they put up a photo of the bastardized DMC, which I think was posted in AI before. He might be (=probably is) a talentless hack, but I can't hate him too much if he really helps his relatives and the community.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Nerobro posted:

Without yaknow, the engineering prowess, or any desire to do anything but make a pretty car.
Wonder how long the clutch lasts in one? :iamafag:

Just in case I'm once again experimenting with finding the cranium/humour Kármán line, I don't like Will I Am's car, and I do like Noble - though I still regard their move from the "£60k or so" market to the "£200k or so" market as being a dubious decision.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm always surprised they mention the price on the supercars because it seems so totally irrelevant to anyone who would be cross-shopping them. It's not like there's some really-rich-but-not-really guy who would be bankrupt if he bought a 458 but suddenly be ok if he bought the Noble.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Does anyone know why SIARPC is still part of the show? Besides one or two they are all horrible.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

sbaldrick posted:

Does anyone know why SIARPC is still part of the show? Besides one or two they are all horrible.

I would imagine if it's a big star touring/promoting something, it's paid-for (or used by the BBC for free advertising if promoting it's own show). It may help the episode-to-episode budget, but TG as a brand pulls in so much £ I never really believe the "we have no money" protestations from Willson and Clarkson. When it's a normal, TV-level british celeb/comedian, I think it's alright, really - works with the show's 'blokey' roots. Getting Hollywood A-listers and Wil.i.am is a bit mind boggling though.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Probably like how The Young Ones always having a musical act allowed them the higher "entertainment" budget rather than just being "comedy". It'll be some kind of internal politics with the Beeb.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

echoplex posted:

Getting Hollywood A-listers and Wil.i.am is a bit mind boggling though.

Next week as per wikipedia: Matt "I'm no longer Joey from Friends" LeBlanc

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Frankly, the SIARPC didn't really bother me as much as the fact that they somehow forgot to mention Ratzenberger in their Imola casualty montage :smith:

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

3 posted:

Frankly, the SIARPC didn't really bother me as much as the fact that they somehow forgot to mention Ratzenberger in their Imola casualty montage :smith:

We can't do that as it would detract from Senna.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

neckbeard posted:

Welp.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

echoplex posted:

I would imagine if it's a big star touring/promoting something, it's paid-for (or used by the BBC for free advertising if promoting it's own show). It may help the episode-to-episode budget, but TG as a brand pulls in so much £ I never really believe the "we have no money" protestations from Willson and Clarkson. When it's a normal, TV-level british celeb/comedian, I think it's alright, really - works with the show's 'blokey' roots. Getting Hollywood A-listers and Wil.i.am is a bit mind boggling though.

The bad part for me is Clarkson fawning over the guests and asking about their family lives or whatever it is they talk about, I always skip the talking and go to the lap (on iplayer). Having a Celeb talk about cars they've owned and going straight to the lap wouldn't be too bad, and then a mention of "And William has a new book about car design in all good bookstores".

Although I thought the car was pretty hideous the fact that William is trying to do some good with his money makes him one of the few decent famous people I'm aware of. I know people are lambasting it for being a Delorean with a body kit, but that was just a prototyping shortcut right; surely he can't hope to have company convert the 4 remaining Deloreans into whatever that was.

When you say Willson, you don't mean... Quentin Willson do you? I thought he'd gone to Fifth Gear years ago?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

neckbeard posted:

So much for the "star" part.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Crankit posted:

The bad part for me is Clarkson fawning over the guests and asking about their family lives or whatever it is they talk about, I always skip the talking and go to the lap (on iplayer). Having a Celeb talk about cars they've owned and going straight to the lap wouldn't be too bad, and then a mention of "And William has a new book about car design in all good bookstores".

Although I thought the car was pretty hideous the fact that William is trying to do some good with his money makes him one of the few decent famous people I'm aware of. I know people are lambasting it for being a Delorean with a body kit, but that was just a prototyping shortcut right; surely he can't hope to have company convert the 4 remaining Deloreans into whatever that was.

When you say Willson, you don't mean... Quentin Willson do you? I thought he'd gone to Fifth Gear years ago?

There are thousands of unassembled delorians including their terrible engine in California, warehouses full of parts when the company went bust.

Buy a "new" delorians for around 20k.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Crankit posted:

I meant Willman, I think. My bad. The main producer, but him and Clarkson are effectively equal as producers.

There's thousands of DeLoreans left, so he could easily do a small run of them if he wanted (and I hope he doesn't). I don't think it'll ever see production. There's waaaaay too much involved in just starting a car company even if you are sticking bodykits to cars (and if what I heard about the underneath of this thing being from a 300C is true, surely that's EVEN MORE engineering work) and who is going to buy them? Somewhere like WCC could easily crank out the 10 or so he'd sell... there's no way he can start a factory line somewhere and pretend these are coming out of it. It's just a publicity stunt. At best he'd be doing what WCC is doing - modding an existing car. Maybe if it was a barebones assembly kind of deal with the kits/modded interior, I could see it happening... but again, no-one would buy any of these. How many people does he plan to employ? The whole thing is :psyduck:

ColHannibal posted:

There are thousands of unassembled delorians including their terrible engine in California, warehouses full of parts when the company went bust.

Buy a "new" delorians for around 20k.

Well that's not even close to being true.

There's no unassembled cars... every 'new' one DMCH sell starts off with a refurbed underbody/existing VIN. They're not manufacturing new ones, they simply replace a lot of parts on an old car with thier NOS stock and label it as the updated model. And there's certainly not enough to make thousands... I don't even think there's a thousand of some of the body panels left. Maybe less than a few hundred of the left fender... and they're not making any more.

The "new DeLorean" hype that Wynne and Espey have pulled off is loving amazing, because people buy it wholesale... all you're doing is buying a horrifically overpriced, used car, with engine upgrades and a new stereo. And it costs a lot more than $20k. Even the Electric DMC they want to sell will be a 30 year old car with some new parts. These things exist to be sold to a few customers a year, but more to lure people in to looking at the used cars they sell which are much more reasonably priced. The updated engines are nice (and essential, really), but with the new engine they run almost $50k if I rememeber rightly. That's more money than a car like that would ever be worth.

echoplex fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 31, 2012

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
^^^ I think they said they wanted to start making new parts of the cars. I don't know if anything ever came of that. Were the original molds destroyed or did they buy those?

neckbeard posted:

Unless he turns out to be some crazy car buff, this is someone who should have been relegated to TGUS.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Cojawfee posted:

^^^ I think they said they wanted to start making new parts of the cars. I don't know if anything ever came of that. Were the original molds destroyed or did they buy those?

They might have some of the fibreglass underbody moulds, but the panel dies where sold as scrap and used as weights for nets in the irish sea, right after liquidation. The panel dies are definitely long gone. Not that it would be hard to have them retooled in this day and age, but I can't imagine them breaking even on such an endeavour.

echoplex fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 31, 2012

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

I was surprised they were so far apart from the 458 at Imola. I know it's The (Italian) Stig and everything, but all three of their cars posted noticeably faster times around their own track (McLaren 1:16.2, Aventador 1:16.5, M600 1:17.7 with a Cold condition) than the 458's 1:19.1. I would have assumed even with less skill they still would have been able to close the gap to around three seconds or so. I was wishing they would have Italian Stig do a lap with each of the cars after the fact just to see if the faster times would have translated to a proper F1 track.

No, they really are that much slower than a professional driver.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

echoplex posted:

They might have some of the fibreglass underbody moulds, but the panel dies where sold as scrap and used as weights for nets in the irish sea, right after liquidation. The panel dies are definitely long gone. Not that it would be hard to have them retooled in this day and age, but I can't imagine them breaking even on such an endeavour.

Isnt it just an engine and grill swapped lotus esprit S2? Its even got a few leftover leyland bits on the interior trim.

Flesh Croissant fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 31, 2012

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

3 posted:

Yeah, I was a bit pissed off about that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You remember the part where they were driving around and noting all the other cars that were all beat up and dented? I couldn't tell the difference because that's what every car in San Antonio looks like.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Seeing Clarkson drive the Aventador around the city looked terrifying. I know he's been doing it for years, but how do you get used to a car that wide/flat/long in an environment like that? I couldn't think of something I'd like to do less. At least when you drive a van around of a similar size you've got visibility on your side.

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

Isnt it just an engine and grill swapped lotus esprit S2? Its even got a few leftover leyland bits on the interior trim.

Naw. Though Lotus did the engineering work and it is pretty much a copy of the Esprit underneath in terms of manufacturing methods, it's all custom. The chassis is similar but designed for a rear engine layout rather than mid, etc. The fibreglass body is all custom, too. I think there's hardly any common parts between the two cars, actually - mostly because DMC part-binned from elsewhere to get the quantities they needed. Not sure how many Esprits Lotus made over 81-82 but I'd bet it was a lot less than 9,000.

The pre-prod cars did have a lot of leyland interior parts, though, I think the steering wheel was from a black cab, but a lot of it ended up being bespoke. The interior looks similar to the Esprit but most of that is down to Giugiaro (who also designed said Esprit). The glovebox may have been a shared part though. Sorry for off-topic DMC chat :ohdear:

E: the Esprit had some pretty rocking interior options:

echoplex fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jan 31, 2012

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Linedance posted:

"Almost vulgar" is a perfect description of what a lamborghini should be.
I'm hoping the Gallardo successor dips a bit more into the vulgar side design wise. I wasn't sold on the Aventador at first but it quickly grew on me.

echoplex posted:

I meant Willman, I think. My bad. The main producer, but him and Clarkson are effectively equal as producers.

There's thousands of DeLoreans left, so he could easily do a small run of them if he wanted (and I hope he doesn't). I don't think it'll ever see production. There's waaaaay too much involved in just starting a car company even if you are sticking bodykits to cars (and if what I heard about the underneath of this thing being from a 300C is true, surely that's EVEN MORE engineering work) and who is going to buy them? Somewhere like WCC could easily crank out the 10 or so he'd sell... there's no way he can start a factory line somewhere and pretend these are coming out of it. It's just a publicity stunt. At best he'd be doing what WCC is doing - modding an existing car. Maybe if it was a barebones assembly kind of deal with the kits/modded interior, I could see it happening... but again, no-one would buy any of these. How many people does he plan to employ? The whole thing is :psyduck:
Yeah it's all really confusing, particularly since he got WCC to do the two cars shown. I thought they were just personal one offs...but that modded DeLorean is to start a company :confused: I found some stuff from a few weeks ago from him saying it was built from OEM Chrysler parts...which just raises even more :psyduck:s.

Dr JonboyG posted:

No, they really are that much slower than a professional driver.
Yeah, I was surprised Clarkson even got as close as he did.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Man that McLaren sounded great in the tunnel. Very much like a current F1 car. I agree it was a great episode except for Will.I.Am. Hopefully this series will keep going the same way.

I will love the tears from BMW owners when they show the episode with the BMW E30 being dropped on its roof :smug:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Great episode, very glad to see that the Christmas special was just a blip on the radar and they're back to the form they had in last year's regular episodes.

Holy gently caress, once I'm a millionaire an Aventador will be my first purchase :swoon:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Matt LeBlanc's apparently into car and (especially) motorbike racing, so while he's not going to be at Jay Leno levels of auto-nerdery, he'll have something to talk about. And I've seen him in person; when he drops the Joey persona he's a pretty sharp and witty guy, so I doubt the interview will be like will-dot-i-dot-am-dot's :geno: .

(Incidentally, I have never heard a Black Eyed Peas song; it sounds like this is a Good Thing.)

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Payndz posted:

Matt LeBlanc's apparently into car and (especially) motorbike racing, so while he's not going to be at Jay Leno levels of auto-nerdery, he'll have something to talk about. And I've seen him in person; when he drops the Joey persona he's a pretty sharp and witty guy, so I doubt the interview will be like will-dot-i-dot-am-dot's :geno: .

(Incidentally, I have never heard a Black Eyed Peas song; it sounds like this is a Good Thing.)

They were a legimate rap group before they added Fergie to the lineup to sell more albums.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
I have been skipping through SIARPC for the last few years. It's dull, boring, takes way to much time of the show and could be replaced with something...better.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Good start, but I did end up skipping SIARPC as well. The part in the montage where James' goggles snapped on his face was hilarious.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Jut posted:

I have been skipping through SIARPC for the last few years. It's dull, boring, takes way to much time of the show and could be replaced with something...better.

Yeah, I have skipped star in a reasonably priced car for a long time now, unless it's someone I'm interested in, which is rare.

Forget that though, holy poo poo that Aventador is incredible. I've never been a Lamborghini fan as such, but it is just so over the top that I desire it, a lot.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
You know, I may be unpopular for saying this, but I would love to see more affordable stuff on the show. The £1000 shed challenges were great as they were something the average viewed could one day afford, and it's nice to see them gently caress around with fiat 500's and smaller sports cars such as the S2000 every now and again.

Would be better than SIARPC anyway

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Only SIARPC I remember are Seasick Steve and that guy Jeremy hit on.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Jut posted:

You know, I may be unpopular for saying this, but I would love to see more affordable stuff on the show.

Not especially, this is my feeling too. Supercars are just playthings for the rich and don't really excite me anymore, if I want to see knife edge performance I'll drool over WRC and touring car monstrosities. I'm more interested to see how much performance/luxury/tech a company can cram into a car that sells for $50k, or even $20k. I hope they don't go the TG America route and run cheap-car challenges straight into the ground though.

It was also hard to hate Willy since he's actually trying to improve his neighborhood but the only benefit I can think of for keeping SIARPC is as a bathroom break. I still think BEP are awful but that's a subjective opinion.

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 31, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Rowan Atkinson's SIARPC was fantastic and anyone who skipped it is an idiot. :colbert:

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
The Pegg/Frost SIARPC from series 16 was good too.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Jut posted:

You know, I may be unpopular for saying this, but I would love to see more affordable stuff on the show. The £1000 shed challenges were great as they were something the average viewed could one day afford, and it's nice to see them gently caress around with fiat 500's and smaller sports cars such as the S2000 every now and again.

Would be better than SIARPC anyway

The cheap car challenges, for me, are the best part. They could do the whole show that way and I'd be happy.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

CornHolio posted:

The cheap car challenges, for me, are the best part. They could do the whole show that way and I'd be happy.
Agreed. And the SIARPC is fine when they actually have someone who's into cars. I'm amazed how often they don't, considering it's a CAR SHOW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Agreed. And the SIARPC is fine when they actually have someone who's into cars. I'm amazed how often they don't, considering it's a CAR SHOW

It's not a CAR SHOW, it's an entertainment show, and thus it gets entertainment guests :jerkbag: