Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Gave my dad season 15 for x-mas. Watched episode 1 this evening with the volcano trip and the Reliant Robin. Really bugged me when Jeremy took it to the shop and the A-Team theme was replaced with some generic buyout music, but aside from that it still held up and he loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Mad Dragon posted:

15? Jesus. I just started S3 on Netflix, since I've never watched more than YouTube clips. I'll eventually watch them all, but are there any recommendations on absolute must-see episodes?

I know a lot of people have already responded with great episodes, but may I recommend that you not just zip right to the best episodes and THEN go back and watch "the rest." Just start watching and let the better episodes hit you naturally. You don't want to blow your Top Gear wad all up front, do you?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

D C posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA4MLoVoybk

Ultimate Arm has a pretty good reel.

If I was making a reel I sure wouldn't start out with a PT Cruiser ad :P

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I guess you could fit it in the back somewhere but that sounds like a great idea to have an LS1 for just the front wheels.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Has everyone already seen this preview of Richard Hammond's Crash Course?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=duBVnn9GRuA

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I definitely like the USA Top Gear more when it's not in season the same time as normal Top Gear. Having to compare Season 2 to Series 17 is no competition at all, but comparing Season 3 to... nothing, well it's pretty darn good and I'm glad it's on. Only question I had was didn't Tanner introduce the Corvette as a Z06 but then say it was a $100k car? The ZR-1 is the 110k 'vette. The Z06 is like $76k.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Preoptopus posted:

Brilliant episode. Its like Top Gear UK with all the fat trimmed off. Should be called TopGearSuperleggera

Yeah I really like not having a news segment just because I read car blogs every day so it's all old news anyway, and it really dates episodes of top gear uk when you watch an episode and they're telling you that next year there's going to be some amazing new car that came out 8 years ago. The only problem is that there are often a lot of funny interactions between the guys in those segments. But since that's much less of an issue for the US Top Gear, I'm glad they seem to be leaving it out.

Edit: I was at the DC Improv recently and saw Adam Ferrara was coming soon. Hadn't heard any of his stand-up in ages so I just looked up some clips on youtube. Ugh.

davebo fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 29, 2012

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Kenshin posted:

I'm not sure I've ever laughed at any Top Gear episode so hard as watching that loving Mustang fly.

And hit the bouncy castle.

I'm gonna say that while the original will always be best, in terms of loudest laugh I'd say that for me the mustang flying was second only to the first time Clarkson crashed the Robin. And even that was pretty close.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Out of curiosity since it's a car-related tv show, does anyone else here watch Canada's Worst Driver?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

neckbeard posted:

I don't normally watch it, but one of the guys on this season, Azim, works for the same company as I do, and has a desk about 30 feet away from me. Everyone that was on this season hates Klyne.

Yeah he seems like a real dick, but not quite as bad as that other "teen with an attitude just here to prove the way he drives is fine and won't change" they had several seasons ago. It's like having punky dicks on the real world. You're just never gonna top Puck.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Josh Lyman posted:

Cee'd. And I wish they'd sell it in the US.

Is it not basically the Rio 5 door? I thought they were pretty similar but I don't know the details.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

T1g4h posted:

Also, would these technically count as spoilers?

I guess so. That chair probably does provide a lot of downforce at speed.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Private Eye posted:

We don't say slope to refer to asian people .

Do the British say "there's a slope ON it" though? I'm curious because in the USA we'd say it has a slope, or it's sloped. The slope isn't an object that's physically on top of it, it's something inherent in the design. I also don't get why Richard then pointed to the lower side of the bridge and said it's higher on that side.

davebo fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 18, 2014

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I watched it yesterday but I don't recall, did they mention any specifics of the C7? Did it have the 8 speed auto or the Z51 package?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Spiffness posted:

So either he was Sequential shifting using the auto or the paddles are on both versions?

It didn't really register in my brain while I was watching because I don't recall anyone using the exact phrase "flappy-paddle gearbox" but now that you mention it, the manual C7 does have paddles on the steering wheel but they enable the rev-matching feature.

E:f,b

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

PT6A posted:

Evidenced by every GM product I've ever seen, GM interiors are simply lovely and bad. Maybe they're lovely and bad to save money in a lot of cases, but the only common thread is their awfulness.

But in this particular instance your gripe is that a feature is quickly accessible without removing your hands from the wheel instead of being a button farther away?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

McTinkerson posted:

I feel like Chris Harris needs to sacrifice however many automotive trinkets to whichever gods are listening to take over if Clarkson gets the boot.

I'd much rather have that then watch a show with Leno and Carolla.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

mobby_6kl posted:

poo poo, this has been the best season in years so far, I wouldn't mind if they wrapped it up at the high note at the end but mid-season would suck.

Haven't seven episodes aired already? Does anyone know how many more were planned? I know last series had 10 episodes but the ones before that were usually 6-7, so I feel like we've already gotten a full series.

Edit: I was way wrong, the past series have all been 5-7 pretty much, but this one looks like it had 10 planned for some reason.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

T1g4h posted:

Shhh. It's come a long way since then, I try not to think about S1.

Didn't season 1 suddenly redeem itself right at the end with that Alaska special though? Then they realized they just had to get rid of all the studio bits and stick to challenges.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I like Steve Coogan but I'd rather have him host as himself than play a character. I assume that's not really a possibility though.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

CornHolio posted:

I laughed at the "Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican!" line and then immediately felt bad for laughing. It's funny in a so-goddamn-obviously-loving-racist-did-they-really-just-say-that way.

Yeah I don't get why people defend the occasional racist remarks. I mean I'm not all upset to the point I ever wanted the show cancelled over anything, but I enjoy Top Gear in spite of the occasional racism, not because of it. What I like are the cars and the actual funny bits.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Bape Culture posted:

Hahaha. Okay Jeremy clarkson isn't an adult. He still exceeded you in every quantifiable way as an adult irl though. hosed up.

I don't know, it's pretty easy for me to quanitfy how many coworkers I haven't punched when I didn't get drunk in a work setting.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

bull3964 posted:

Maybe now that it's on Amazon, the US audience will actually be able to hear the A-Team music when they do their mechanical montages.

Why would Amazon not be subject to the same copyright restrictions as Netflix and broadcast tv? I mean, they certainly could choose to pay for all that music if they wish, but I'd rather money be put into the show itself then just get decent buyout music. The segments will still be cool if you edit the piece specifically to the music you use. The problem before was the BBC would use whatever popular music they want without paying royalties, edit the piece to that music, then just swap out to another track for America.

davebo fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 3, 2015

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I had new wheels/tires put on at a local shop and the guy got them from tire rack for me but it wasn't until after he did the work that he realized my oem tpms wouldn't fit in the wheels so he said I could order them from tire rack myself and he'd install them for free later. So I assume he was able to buy the wheels/tires without the tpms just fine.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
My first episode of Top Gear wasn't until series 5, episode 6 with the 1500 pound used Porsches. The part I remember most was they had to get dates in the singles section of the newspaper by describing their car and Jeremy placed his in the gay section and mentioned his was a V8. From there I was hooked.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I assume these cars lent to reviewers do get pretty well thrashed and you'd expect them to have problems, but on the other hand these are expensive as hell cars that ought to be purpose-built for driving quickly, so why does doing just that give them a bunch of problems? Shouldn't drifting cars around a track just screw up the tires?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

wait hang on I get it

:ssh: person who works for a newspaper's website :ssh:

You're telling me if not for 0.1 seconds we could have had Atkinson hosting? drat.

I have noticed ads for LeBlanc hosting best-of Top Gear compilations on BBC America lately so I guess this makes sense. They're just trying to keep their appeal to American audiences, and throwing a full set of new Europeans out there would probably turn off a decent amount of American car guys who took like 9 years to finally warm up to the first batch.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Did they actually do doughnuts around the memorial or was it just down the street from it, and the problem was it was there in the background from the angle they were shooting. If that's the case it'd be more like drifting around the circle on Memorial Ave at the end of the Arlington Memorial Bridge, which frankly would be awesome.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

neckbeard posted:

Doesn't look like it's on the schedule on History/H2 up in Canada :smith:

You still come out ahead because you get Canada's Worst Driver on Discovery channel.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Well, at least it'll hopefully gets Harris' name and personality more views so he can step in when Evans implodes and the show is short one Chris?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I dunno, everything leblanc says there sounds fine to me aside from Chris Evans existing.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

wolrah posted:

There's a tinfoil-hattish part of me that kinda wonders if Evans is there as a sacrificial lamb. The producers want to make LeBlanc the main host but fear that replacing Mr. "Americans are all Wal-Martian stereotypes" with an American directly would be too jarring, so they put him at #2 and put someone who's an easy fit on paper (career in presenting, well known car enthusiast) but can have the public turned against him in the #1 slot. After a season or two people are used to the American and Evans can be dropped. If the show as a whole doesn't go well the internet's already poised to blame him, so there's that too.

So it's exactly like I thought, get rid of Chris Evans and you've already got another Englishman named Chris to step right in for him! Now we just play the waiting game...

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I watched the BBC version online but I noticed on my DirecTV listings BBC America had the premiere as two hours long. Did they manage to come up with an entire hour of commercials to stick in there, or are they showing Top Gear and Extra Gear back to back and trimming out a third of each to fit commercials into, or some other option?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

sbaldrick posted:

You could edit Evans out

It'd be like that Phantom Edit of the first Star Wars prequel where they completely got rid of Jar Jar and the movie was like half as long. Fine, just give us a solid half hour of Sabine and Leblanc doing something fun.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
So with this new rally course for guests, won't that just drag dirt all over the regular track and hinder the Stig's traction? Are they actually going to hose the track down and brush the dirt away each time, or do they shoot the stig bits when they review the cars all before the studio bits with the guests happen? I know previously sometimes they'd do the filmed car reviews then the stig would get the same car in a different color to race so I assumed they don't always happen at the same time.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

fyodor posted:

They missed it because they taped the first 4 well in advance.

I knew they taped in advance so that him being unconscious wasn't a reaction to people wanting him to shut up, but I enjoyed the brief respite all the same.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

howe_sam posted:

If nothing else the guy putting the soundtrack together remains on point. Fury Road and Man from U.N.C.L.E. were both excellent choices.

My favorite was the CHiPS theme song for the Goldwing's appearance.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Tide posted:

I've given it four episodes and for all but about 15 minutes of it, it's horrible.

But now we've all watched two thirds of the whole season so we may as well just finish it off and keep watching. That must be the BBC's strategy.

edit: Episode 6 is listed as only being 30 minutes long. Are they tightening things up and gonna give us a really exciting episode or is the final episode just a 30 minute long celebrity interview segment?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

scuz posted:

Velocity needs a car show that isn't fixing old cars, as much fun as that is. TGUS would be an awesome feather in their cap, I'd think.

Screw that, Amazon should buy it. Alternate between seasons of The Grand Tour and Top Gear USA. Netflix put in a bid for May/Clarkson/Hammond right? Top Gear USA consolation prize?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Qmass posted:

I would watch this show about cars... do we want less shows about cars ?

Hey in the late 90's all I wanted were more Star Wars movies but when we got some it didn't stop me complaining about Jar Jar.

Chris Evans: literally Jar Jar.