Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

nmfree posted:

I'll go ahead and be that guy: what the hell was this all about?

Freemasons, funny handshake, old boys club etc.

neckbeard posted:

Kinda wondering if they put off the McLaren P1's lap hoping there would be drier conditions later on

Yeah, given the conditions over the past few weeks I think they are waiting for a dry spell to put the P1 round the track. Doing a lap on the lake that James Blunt drive round would be pointless.

Mr Beens fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Yeah they scripted the worst environmental swings in a generation and the covid pandemic.
Clarkson the top gear/grand tour presenter is a character that plays up stereotypes that he only partially believes in. Clarkson the commentator/columnist is a slightly different take on the same character. Clarkson the documentary filmmaker is more close to his real person. Clarkson the real human being is mostly normal. Clarkson the farmer is a blend of all 4.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

Which we find out later was completely faked, another Clarkson gimmick. (Clarkson's melancholy, that is, not the sheep going to the slaughterhouse, as he delights in the mutton from them.)

I've seen many a documentary about farm life / introducing city folk to farm life where people get sad about animals being killed but then still being fine with eating them. This is not fake or gimmick.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The takeaway from Clarkson's Farm is that the character Jeremy Clarkson is an old shithead, and that the real life human being Jeremy Clarkson often plays in to the character Jeremy Clarkson. But in the overall thrust of the show and the actual issues it raises (the difficulty of rural life, environmental concerns including global warming, the need for an appropriate governmental safety net for the food supply and those working in it, the fact that sometimes you can indeed have too big a tractor, the importance of food safety, and the idea that animals are both cuddly/cute and can also be a pain in the rear end) it shows the real life human being Jeremy Clarkson to be somewhat more enlightened than most will give him credit for.

100% agree. I posted something similar earlier in the thread. Also the other 2 gentlemen that are part of the larger grand tour are also simultaneously playing charactures of them selves that are not 100% their real selves. "Captain slow" being a prime example.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
It was way better than the last one even with the disjointed covid nature of it

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
More than change gear change gear change gear Clarkson controversy change gear change gear?

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Yeah I would imagine the water was only a couple of feet deep and they weakened it.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Having cracked a rib just laying over the doorsill of an Elise trying to manipulate a brake pedal while someone flushed the fluid, I really felt for James and his not being able to pick up a halfshaft due to it being too drat painful to flex his chest really struck home with me.

But then later I thought it was weird that he wasn't grunting with pain every time he laughed.

Crawling out of the Evo and trying to hook up the tow rope he should have been completely immobile. He was making noises about his ribs the whole time but, and maybe I'm just that much of a styrofoam wuss or something, but if you've actually injured your ribs you will barely be able to breathe let alone contort yourself out of a sinking car

Point is parts of that subplot felt very real and other parts felt like if those ones were real the rest must have been filmed 8 months later

Yeah the "timeline" narrative was clearly made up. There is no way they modified and wrapped their cars in one night in a random shed, James "caught them up" somehow etc. Still all great fun and their best special in ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

cdc posted:

Wasn't amazing or anything, but I was entertained.

Wonder if they have something really special planned for what I assume will be their last episode? And maybe the last time they work together.

Hammond said in an interview the next one is one of his favourite ever