Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Fantastic episode! Loved the race around Imola.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I can't get over how good all three of those cars sounded. Great episode, but I didn't even try to watch the SIARPC. Will.I.Am? Really?

Yeah it was entirely forgettable.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Hammond definitely loves muscle cars, his GT390 is awesome:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O46E0gCF5os

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Holy poo poo the ending of this episode had me in tears! Ahahaha I won't ruin the surprise but it's fantastic.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Palpatine MD posted:

The Chinese sure love their Audi's don't they?

Yeah IIRC the A6 is basically the official government car--kinda like the crown vic in the states.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Wedesdo posted:

This is pretty cool:
http://club.autohome.com.cn/bbs/thread-a-100002-13260688-1.html
(Adblock strongly recommended for any .cn site)

Back in December, when Top Gear was filming in China, some random Chinese Top Gear fan happened to stay at the same Beijing hotel as May. The guy recognized him in the morning and proceeded to stalk May from the hotel to the filming site, where he proceeded to take a bunch of candid pictures of them filming.

He got some pretty cool photos of Top Gear behind-the-scenes; worth a look even if you can't read Chinese.

Did you know both James and Jeremy smoke?

Haha I like this pic, it's like Jeremy is contemplating his entire life and every decision he's ever made:

I can just hear James whining in this pic "But I want to go into the factory and look at all the machines!!"

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I liked the car chase segment. :v:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Top Gear America season 3 premiers at 9pm on History channel tonight: http://www.history.com/shows/top-gear

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah Saab segment was fantastic. I'd rather just watch more of James and Jeremy driving around reminiscing about old cars.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

sbaldrick posted:

I can't get into TGUS.

I read the first two episodes of this new 3rd season were actually leftovers filmed from season 2. Fingers crossed the real new episodes will jump up a bit in quality. The last two episodes were good but not great.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
It doesn't have James, but Clarkson's old hot hatches special is really good if you liked the Saab segment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRZpBakWJuE

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Jut posted:

No, they recycled the first segment from a Top Gear DVD and the SAAB was a low budget, quick and dirty tribute. I think they must be having real budget problems if they are rehashing old material.

I agree--this season so far is good but doesn't have the magic of 3-4 years ago. Driving sports cars around Italy? Racing mobile scooters offroad? Yawn. Let's see them launch a car as a space shuttle or travel across America nearly getting killed again.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Autoblog podcast this week was pretty good, they had on the cast of Top Gear US shooting the poo poo and answering questions about the show: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/02/28/autoblog-podcast-271/

Apparently Tanner drives an M3 and an F-150 Raptor. :hellyeah: Adam drives a '90 Lexus LS400.

edit: vvvv Daily drives

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 29, 2012

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I swear I saw some of the shots with the Brutus before, did Clarkson have it on one of his DVDs?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, "Powered Up".

Ah that must be where I remembered it from. The budget must really be tight this year--this is the second somewhat recycled bit. :(

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
drat that was a properly good episode of Top Gear--too bad its the last for the season. :( The interviews, car reviews, and challenge were great.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

neckbeard posted:

Instead of those terrible Top Gear related DVDs they put out around Christmas time they really need to put out a "James May checks out someone's amazing car collection" special instead.

Haha yeah. I wonder how does James always get to do the awesome stuff like taking a Veyron to its top speed, driving the $6 million+ Ferrari, flying in a U2 at 90k feet, etc.?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I hate to say it but I think Top Gear US has had a better season than Top Gear UK this time around. UK was kinda boring with a lot of rehashes. US has been pretty solid with big rig challenge, muscle cars, minivans crossing the rockies, etc. Only painful thing on the US show is the celebrity car lap. It's so short and pointless they should just drop it.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Top Gear US season 2 was great--I'm looking forward to the third season. I hope they drop the celebrity car race segment though--it just doesnt work when they only have 45 minutes for the show.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Sockington posted:

Also, make it a two part special.

First hour is broken into two equal halves - the half is the UK team's vehicle selection, purchase, and subsequent build. The other half would be the US team's shot.

Of course for viewing purposes they'd be intertwined during editing. I just want equal time for each side to show some of the tom foolery involved in process.

The second special would be the race.

Simple and beautiful.

Also make it war themed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqpJvey-7-s

vs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzumXyf2ueA

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 13, 2012

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Has James been up to anything new recently? I loved his science and engineering related specials like the moon landing special, man lab, etc.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Ak Gara posted:

The Veyron is extremely heavy, the W-16 is needlessly over complex, and 1000 horsepower from a quad turbo engine really isn't that impressive if you're using an 8 litre engine. That's only 200 horsepower over the normal 100-horsepower-per-litre.

A twin turbo 5 litre V10 with 24 psi boost is far more practical.

[edit]

That particular one might not be street legal, but they do differnt grades of packages.

$200k for the Gallardo, $100k for the package, and you have a car that kicks a $1.7 million Veyron's rear end. Good lord I wish I had 300 grand right now.

To be fair the Bugatti is a bit more posh than the Lamborghini. I think Top Gear mentioned the buttons and switchgear in the Veyron are solid magnesium and thousands of dollars each.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
This season of Top Gear USA has been fantastic. They dropped the studio stuff and just focused on fun challenges. Hell, have they even reviewed a car yet? I think the show is starting to hit its stride.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I'd like to see a special that's just James working on old cars. Maybe a special episode of Wheeler Dealer where James tells crackin' boy to piss off and him and Ed just work on cars.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Apocalypse had James driving a Ferrari F40 though, worth watching at least that.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I kind of liked aussie Top Gear. The guys were actually really good at building stuff so the challenges were more impressive than UK Top Gear. When they made electric cars in one challenge, one of them made a legitimately good vehicle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF06vLILwH0

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Great show, the only thing it was missing was a good segment with all the guys together. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I enjoyed the latest TG US episode. I'm surprised one of the guys didn't pick an old Jeep Cherokee with the unkillable 4 liter engine. It would have aced the offroad race at the end too!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
James on a train. I expect this to be a great episode.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I'm surprised they aren't having Hammond review the GT500. Maybe they're afraid it would just be 20 minutes of him squealing like a school girl.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Mister Kingdom posted:

You're right. I want more reviews of the Chevy Spark and Toyota Yaris.

Top Gear responded to feedback and does normal car reviews from time to time now. See the Ford Fiesta review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e7R3y-qwZ0

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Slo-Tek posted:

Just made me depressed about the lovely trains on my continent. I get distance/my tax dollars/right of way stuff makes it impossible for the US to have non-lovely rail, but drat. They were bitching up a storm when their train was only doing 80 through the mountains. 80 being the projected top speed for the 'high speed rail' we're going to spend a few billion dollars not getting between Chicago and St. Louis (and only 10mph faster than the existing rail line)

Yeah I had to do a double take when they said the train was going 180mph. I always assumed only the crazy bullet trains in Japan could go that fast.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

blunt posted:

Now for something from the Korean edition of Top Gear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EsoWpTO2qg

Our thread title is truly global.

Pilot crashed the copter trying to get a good look at the beautiful ZR1 'vette that just smoked it. :smug:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeesh, if people are so into vanilla car reviews get the DVDs Clarkson and TG put out every year. They're basically 2 hour long TG shows with only reviews and very little stunts/competitions/etc.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I'll be the idiot that thought they were going to pack a Kia full of rugby players and try to play a game inside it.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Don't forget Jay Leno. Although Jay is closer to James May in his love of mechanical things. James and Jay Leno would make an interesting combination for a car show I bet.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah I think this special has the potential to be one of the best. For some reason it hasn't really grabbed me yet, but I'm looking forward to see what the second half has in store. I do think it's a little weird they aren't interacting more with the local people. When they showed their cars at the very start it was bizarre how they were ignoring everyone around them and just being stared at as these crazy english guys.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Good end to the special episode, but I dunno I think Vietnam, Bolivia, and polar special were both a little better. This one didn't seem like it needed to be 2 hours.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Twenty minutes to Top Gear!

I just setup this program Tunnel Bear to get a UK IP address that can access the BBC iPlayer and it works pretty well. It's not free but isn't that expensive. The BBC is kind of dumb since this is money I would happily pay them to access their content directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah go back to episodes since about 2007 at least--some of the things they built in challenges were just epic, like launching the Reliant Robin 'space shuttle'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b4WzWFKQ20

Since the economic meltdown I think they've had to reign things in budgetwise, so challenges have suffered in recent years in my opinion.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 30, 2013