Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Probably a cost saving thing. They can build the same steering wheel for the manual and automatic, but just put some different functions on the buttons in software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
You should probably stop watching Top Gear and any of the last 4-5 years or so of their content. Fancy reviews like that is kind of their signature.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

pik_d posted:

He was outside for 3 days straight though.

Ehhh I have some doubts about that. From the equipment and food they showed I seriously doubt he was there for 3 days. They were probably there for one night at most while they got in all the shots needed for the bit. It's a TV show, not a real life documentary.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I hope Jeremy quits, comes to America and starts a new car show with Jay Leno and Adam Carolla.

edit: Tanner can be the stig.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 10, 2015

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Ola posted:

But...but...that clip with Clarkson in a bouncing car, saying "what in God's name is happening"...might we never see that?

Seriously, what a pain in the rear end the BBC is pulling the whole season. At least take all the bits that haven't aired and put them into a big special or something.

edit: Oh god that's too funny, they finally get Porsche, Ferrari, McLaren to agree to a car race and the whole drat TV series implodes.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

InitialDave posted:

It means you had a bit of a barney, possibly to the extend of having a bundle over it.

where does take the piss out fall on that spectrum (i'm american)

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I'd love to see the Top Gear guys in a scrapheap challenge episode. I can just see James completely flipping out because Jeremy won't listen to his perfectly engineered plans and instead just hacks poo poo to pieces.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I hope Jeremy starts his own web-based show called 'Clarkson in Cars Getting Tea'. It could just be segments like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksbclJ4nGSQ&t=183

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 20, 2015

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I wonder how much money Top Gear as a franchise pulls in for the BBC. It has hurt them quite a bit to shut the whole show down.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Data Graham posted:

I like to think that right about 45 minutes ago, Clarkson's agent's phone started being tied up more or less permanently and Netflix and HBO and Showtime all simultaneously locked their pitch teams in rooms for all-nighters.

Yeah, wasn't the Nurburgring for sale recently too? If someone snatched that up and then Clarkson, Hammond, May, etc. they could make a hell of a new Top Gear test track.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
The truth comes out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLRna0RRvxo

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
is this officially Clarkson-gate yet?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've always said I'd watch James narrate pretty much anything... and now I can.

:allears:

Seriously, James quitting Top Gear has been the best thing ever so far.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

quote:

He filmed that with an iPad. =(

Maybe we can get a low-scale GoFundMe thing together for him to spring for a few GoPros.

I think James is doing alright. That kitchen he was using was just for his workshop and it's bigger than some people's normal kitchens. He doesn't need the funding to get better cameras.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I kind of want to try his recipe, but I'd swap the mushrooms for some diced bacon because I'm from America.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Wasabi the J posted:

That last part was how Clarkson got in trouble though.

It's ok though, they're cooking hot food.

Although god help us if they make carpaccio, sushi, or gazpacho. Then fists will be flying.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Errr I don't think most carbonara sauces have garlic? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonara

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

MustardFacial posted:

If James May spent the rest of his life making Man Lab youtube cooking shows I'd be happy with that.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I hope wherver Jeremey, James and Richard land they get the budget to do big stunts like Top Gear pre-2008:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJdrlWR-yFM

Ever since the financial collapse it felt like Top Gear restrained itself quite a bit. Now that they're free of the BBC hopefully they can do whatever they want.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

T1g4h posted:

I love Jeremy's Fiat. He made that thing look great :allears:

And is my conversion correct on the SUV challenge? Did Hammond seriously get a running, driving, 4wd XJ for $400?

Definitely, and he got a nicer later model one ('97+ in the limited trim model with better seats, stereo, etc.). You can find XJ's for well under $4k all day long--they're crazy cheap for what you get.

edit: Ohhhh duh $400 not $4k. Wow that is a hell of a deal if it really was $400!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Keyser S0ze posted:

BBC 'Murica better show this dammit.

And that is why I am so thrilled Clarkson and company are getting the hell off the BBC. It will be so nice to legally watch the latest episodes without doing stupid stuff like buying into a crappy proxy service, etc. The BBC would always tout a figure that Top Gear was the most pirated TV show, and no duh of course it's going to be pirated if you don't offer any way to watch it outside the UK. I can't wait for the BBC management to slowly realize their decisions are poo poo and the Top Gear cash cow is dead.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

IOwnCalculus posted:

I suddenly feel like an absolute loving idiot for not getting the joke last night when I watched it.

Yeah, I'd say still worth it. I'm pretty sure they showed it in 4WD later on (at least the "PART TIME" light was on :haw: ) so I don't doubt part of that was Hammond intentionally making it look like it was much harder to shift the transfer case than it really was.

Yeah those Jeep transfer cases can sometimes get in a spot where you can't pull it into 4 wheel drive. The solution is to move forward or backward ever so slightly to line up the gears and try again.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u8Epvz_kvU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I hope they trash on the BBC constantly in the new show. Good riddance.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

I hope one of the job requirements for their production manager is "Able to take a slap/punch to the face without flinching." :laugh:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
The rumor is Amazon is paying them (the trio + producer) $250M for a season of a new car show in the style of Top Gear. http://www.forbes.com/sites/ianmorris/2015/07/31/amazons-250-million-spend-on-top-gear-trio-is-actually-great-value/

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I hope one of the qualifications is, "Must be able to take a slap to the face and not go crying home to mommy."

Although to be fair the producer Clarkson slapped didn't do anything about it and it was only when Clarkson told the BBC that they took action.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Hah great name! I can't wait to see what they do now that they don't have the BBC nannystate watching them, and have a gigantic purse of money. Here's hoping we get even wilder and crazier builds like the Reliant Robin space shuttle.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Gear Knobz

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Wow I'm amazed the use a helicopter to film on a track like that. Don't they need to worry about rotor wash and such when flying that close to the ground and buildings? Should make for a heck of a shot though!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Neat special, but wow that's weird they chose to do it live. I'm not sure it really added anything to have it all done live, other than the fun of watching James mangle bolts on some poor soul's Mini Cooper hatch.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Haha that's great, love the dig at the BBC in it.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
The front of the car doesn't have a ton of stuff going on either. Presumably just a coolant radiator and oil radiator. Those could definitely leak but I would hope you would get that fixed before it turned into a much bigger problem on that car.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Wow 6 hosts, seriously?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

This is gonna be such a huge trainwreck

I agree, I give it one season max before it's completely canceled or the hosts reshuffled.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Don't be ashamed. 90s GM is my favorite period in car making. I think of it like some people think of 60s muscle cars.

Fuel injection, digital dash AND a bench seat/column shifter? Sign me up!

Automatic seatbelts too! Soooo 90's.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Oh my god, I hope they do an episode of the new show dressed as their 30 year younger selves with wigs, haircuts and all. It would be amazing.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
The BBC put out DVDs right? I wonder if you could import UK versions and if they have the original music. Might need a region free player to view them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
The only good star in a car segments were when they had Americans on like Jay Leno or Tom Cruise. Everyone else was snooze-fest.