Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, I don't think you'd find any 5SFE MR2 in the UK, whether it's a UK-market car or an import, it's going to have some flavour of 3SG-- in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yes, but based on that episode, I decided not to buy a £5.6m classic car, because of the risk that I might have been stuck behind a learner driver while using it on the public road. In fact, I sold all my other Ferraris too (at a loss), as it just seems too dangerous.

To find out now that the BBC lied to the nation is just sickening. I demand Top Gear be taken off the air, that I receive a written apology from their so-called presenters, and that I'm compensated for both the loss I made in selling my cars, and the mental anquish of no longer knowing who I can trust.

The BBC used to stand for something. This never would have happened when Noel Edmonds presented Top Gear!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Here is Edmonds in his daily driver during the Seventies:

He also really, really pissed off the Daily Mail by, years later, telling people how fast he used to drive it. I might not like his TV programmes, but as a car guy I've got no issues with him.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'd consider "Drive across the opposition's country in £500/$800 cars", with the shorter distance to traverse for the US guys trying to cross the UK offset by the UK team letting Hammond set their route, and thus including "roads" like Stanage Edge:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
They did "Can we get further through Vietnam than the US Army?", so perhaps "Can we get further than Napoleon into Russia?" (driving French cars) would work. Or Hitler, using German vehicles (the latter challenge being comprehensively broken by May who, pointing out that Hitler was Austrian, turns up in a Pinzgauer).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Highly unlikely.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Morphix posted:

You would have had much more production. It's included because in an otherwise boring road trip they had something crazy happen. So who cares about how it looks and sounds, because that's genuine drama. - Any Producer In The World.
No, it's Any Producer

In The World.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cojawfee posted:

No one wants to load up an action movie and a bad guy is being chased in a boring Peugot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z91z2NWy5yU&t=155s

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cojawfee posted:

Jeremy lost that one, because he was on the train. I'm surprised Jeremy didn't take the car.
He was driving the train, it was a steam locomotive and, like me, he's from Doncaster. To do otherwise would be like having a classic 4x4 challenge and have the guy from Toledo not driving the Willys Jeep.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KozmoNaut posted:

And a significantly higher speed rating due to a higher-spec construction. So while it may share the name, the tire itself is different.
Going off at a mild tangent from this, how do you buy the Veyron-spec tyres? Can you only buy them through Bugatti, or can anyone special-order a set for their quad-turbo V12 XJ220 or whatever?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That actually looks pretty entertaining.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

grover posted:

They're british and use funny language normal english speakers rarely/never use. 1 brake horsepower = 1 horsepower. It's a fancy way of saying it's what the engine outputs before drivetrain losses, as opposed to dyno horsepower you get from the wheels.
No, the "brake" in brake horsepower means "horsepower at the brake", i.e. whatever load cell etc is doing the measurement. It can be used to apply to gross or net, at the crank or at the wheels, whatever. It just denotes that it is the power being output by whatever you are measuring.

You say "BHP at the crank" or "BHP at the wheels" to differentiate the two. The only real difference with the US is that rating power without accessories etc was never really a thing.

There's also horsepower in the sense of taxation classes from the early 20th century, but that's a whole other subject, it's unrelated to any concept of actual engine output.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's all Due To The Unique Way The BBC Is Funded, after all.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Clarkson did Australia as part of Motorworld, so it wouldn't be too hard for them to come up with a plan.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I've always put it down to them being, basically, middle-aged farts. They don't quite grok that what was once a cheap use-it-and-chuck-it fun car is now actually quite hard to find in decent nick ten or twenty years later.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Hmm, I'd forgotten how fackin' ugly the LFA is.

Edit: I didn't know anywhere except Japan did musical roads.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 3, 2013

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KozmoNaut posted:

Now I'm just waiting for a Porsche 911 with the 7-speed manual gearbox.

Eventually, gearboxes will have enough ratios that an entire generation will not understand why grandpa mutters about the "mistakes" in Bullit and the F&F movies.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
From what they were saying, his being in Mexico may well be why he ends up squealing like a girl.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The Stig doesn't need to sleep and has perfect night vision, they should have him running cars on laps 24/7 and populate the board with every vehicle available on the open market.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MrChips posted:

If you want sensible reviews of normal cars go watch MotorWeek.
No, I want insane, stupid reviews of normal cars, instead of sensible reviews of crazy expensive super/hypercars.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Hmm, the SIARPC is quite good this week, if you usually skip it, I'd give it a chance.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Golf money for the Toyota? Hell, the Vauxhall Corsa, in VXR Nurburgring form, is £22,380 before you look at the options list.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I think it's the first time he's lost while driving a car, though, so maybe that's it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
My WJ's got an 80L tank, and I just had my fuel light come on at 160 miles.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You should be able to use the phone-a-friend service to request a tanker truck for IFR.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Man, they're on a roll with this series, that was really good fun.

I liked how they filmed the Matt LeBlanc bit to carry it off as a dumb "Not going to show his face but it's him really" joke and then turned it on its head at the last minute.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KozmoNaut posted:

Actually it was sodium and eels salesmen. Due to the extremely powerful unions in the UK and the many archaic laws and bylaws associated with them, in the late 1800s a number of unions chose to band together. Thus, the British International Grand Association of Sodium Sellers and the British Eel Labourers Logistical Extension of Northern Demands together became one of the most powerful unions in the UK, under the name Combined Union of Northern Tradesmen.

It seems a bit off-the-wall, but it's all perfectly logical.
Those are the ones from the north east, though. The Combined Union of Northern Tradesmen wasn't that powerful until they also absorbed the Trent/Wrexham Association of Tanners, which happened at the turn of the 20th century. They could have been even bigger had they incorporated the mariner's societies from the east coast (such as in Whitby), but these were mainly for trawler crews and so on, and both the unions had a long-standing aversion to people associating them with fish.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yes they do, that's why they need the separate compartments. Every car sold in the UK has to have those, they managed to get it into legislation sometime around the mid-70s.
Technically he's right, they were only the union for the people processing the eels, people actually selling them (as in retail) came under the remit of Drayton Operations National and General, as in the village of Market Drayton. Same thing for sodium extraction/processing, the mutual society for that (Bradford Undercut Mutual Society, specifically) always resisted any connection with the union for salesmen, because they believed they were a scientific, rather than sales, body.

Honestly, the demarcation bullshit with British unions has always been loving atrocious. You can never be sure if you're stepping on someone else's toes unless you read up on about four other groups' charters.

Seriously, though. If you look in the boot of an E30 3-series, you'll see that there's a dip in the panelwork either side that forms a cavity about the size of a shoebox. That's only there because of the legislation, the prototypes failed UK type approval because of them not having sufficient volume, and they had to change the stampings (while it didn't matter for the rest of europe, it was easier to just make them all like that):

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Fooled twice, I'm not even British :smug:

KozmoNaut posted:

I am not British :colbert:

Luckily, I more than cancel that out.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ak Gara posted:

Great episode. When Clarkson's handbrake smashed his window that was genuinely unexpectedly funny.
The dawning comprehension on Hammond and May's faces really made that scene. Take that, scripting!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

grover posted:

I just want to know where in his kitchen he was hiding welding tools, a generator, a jack and a half dozen spare wheels. :colbert:
Next you'll be asking where he bought all that Clarke-brand Machine Mart stuff in the middle of Africa. :rolleyes:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Who cares if they're crude, or basic? As long as they're honest about it, that's the thing. When cheap cars start getting aspirational, mimicking styles and features way above their price bracket, that's when it goes to poo poo.

A simple car that knows it's a simple car and concentrates on doing a competent job of basic requirements has an innate appeal of its own.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Now I really want to see you lot watch Chop Shop London Garage.

Mike Brewer is a pretty reasonable portrayal of a British used car dealer. The kind that you don't mind dealing with as long as they register you're not just another mark and treat you accordingly, but who you have no issue with stitching up entirely if they try the "one little old lady owner, just used it to go to pick up cans of Felix for Mr Frisky every Tuesday" bollocks.

Out car-dealering car dealers is one of life's little pleasures. I gave one of my friends a bit of coaching for going to buy her new car, and she kept up a solid "Heehee, I have boobies and I like red cars" performance right up until they sat her down to talk money, at which point she just took them off at the ankles, it was loving beautiful.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That's a black cab. You're thinking of his Lanchester.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Powershift posted:

I don't know, that review kinda made me want a fiesta ST, i just wish it was priced a little more reasonably here, i mean, for $400 more you can get a fusion with the same drivetrain.
You don't buy cars by the pound. Leave the "It is more biggerer for the same money, and therefore better value" logic for "normal" people (and my mate's metal-merchant dad, who weighs in his cars after he ruins them with neglect). I can get the same drivetrain in a Mondeo for the money here, too, but it doesn't mean anything.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
What concerns me about modern FWD is whether you can left-foot brake for roundabouts etc - or at least, if it's programmed to cut throttle on brake application, if it's something that can be removed by the service guys.

Also, the usual "If traction control/ESP is turned off, is it off?" question.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Well, of course not. Honestly, you do get some silly ideas into your heads.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yes, it was delayed about a quarter-hour due to live tennis coverage.

Reasonable episode, interesting that they effectively have the three of them each go off and do their own segment schtick, and it turns out pretty much how you would expect if you were told "Richard is doing this, Jezza is doing this, and James is doing this".

The SIARPC is actually AI-able this episode, don't automatically skip it without having a look first.

I love me some Dougie Lampkin. Really annoys me, the UK's ability to be massive fans of sports we're really not very good at, and sideline stuff where we're world champions.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

pik_d posted:

I was surprised that Jeremy didn't say anything about the name "Mono" given how he goes off about ST whenever he reviews a Ford hot hatch.
It's not really A Thing in the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
A sensible foreign policy is one that involves an extremely large navy, a map, and a pink highlighter.