Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Wow, that was complete poo poo.

The lunch delivery was predictable. The garden party boring as hell and far too long. And no real explanation as to why they took the train for half the time. Then when they get to the interesting roads at the end it's rushed through, and oh look the front of Hammond's car came off, you wouldn't have guessed that as soon as you saw the winch. :rolleyes:

All the good specials are about the cars and how they cope with the journey, not the silly contrived rubbish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

What do all the good specials (US, Bolivia, Vietnam, Africa) have in common - they buy local vehicle on shoestring budgets. Make the journey itself the challenge - get a crap, broken, unsuitable car thousands of miles through an unfamiliar country.

Taking reliable cars with them removed all the fun and any sense of difficulty. The choice of cars didn't affect any of the challenges in the slightest way. They could have all taken completely different cars and nothing would have been different.

They should have had a challenging route - through the crazy traffic of Bombay and out into the wilds before the hard mountain climb. Clarkson in a Premier Padmini, May in a Hindustan Ambassador, and Hammond in a Maruti 800 - all as old and as crap as possible. Let them break down. Let them ruin the cars. Let something actually happen.

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 29, 2011

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

The cut chase scene wasn't actually that good either. Switching camera angles every 0.3 seconds doesn't make things exciting, it just makes it look stupid.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Matlock posted:

I'm watching from the first episode on out. Is it wrong to wish pain upon Jason Dawe?

No. He was an annoying used car salesman who didn't have a clue what he was talking about, so he just made things up - e.g. when buying a Skyline, take care because the brake discs explode! :jerkbag:

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

I don't understand why the engine in the Fister wasn't diesel? They're much better suited to generators - more efficient generally, plus all the torque at lower revs. And they can be incredibly powerful if you only have to tune them to run in a very narrow rev band.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Preoptopus posted:

Moscow to Magadan in City SUV's in less time than the Trans Siberian Railroad would make my wildest dreams come true.

Isn't that a 6-8 week drive?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

jdfording posted:

Wheeler Dealers is my favorite auto show now. I could watch car restorations all day. I just wish there were more shows like it. Graveyard Cars sounded great on paper but the show sucks. They hardly ever mess with the cars they just stand around and argue.

Chasing Classic Cars is ok but it's all about the $$ with Wayne. Wheeler Dealers is more realistic in having cars that the average joe can own.

Play the Wheeler Dealers drinking game! Drink every time:

- Major faults are ignored or glossed over with lies (e.g. changing the gear linkage to cure a misfire)
- The car has clearly had major parts like the engine or gearbox swapped without mentioning it
- They buy parts from a scrapyard, but then five minutes later are buying trivial parts at dealer prices (e.g. £200 window mechanisms for a £500 Saab)
- They buy seats or interior parts in the wrong colour and then dye/paint them
- The car at the end is blatantly not the one they started with
- The person buying the car at the end is clearly a member of the production team
- Brewer tries to brush off only making <£100 profit by saying its good that it went to someone who deserved it.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Plus we already know that the car they all despise more than any other is quite rightly the VW Beetle.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

drunken officeparty posted:

Can someone who knows about cars explain to me why police pickup trucks can beat hundred thousand dollar supercars in a drag race?

The truck will have been specially set up for the strip - special tyres, suspension tuned for exactly that and nothing else, etc. Plus in a drag car it doesn't matter if you tune the engine within an inch of its life and have to rebuild it every 20 miles.

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 4, 2013

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

opengl128 posted:

God that drives me crazy. So unnecessary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MFtl2XXnUc

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

You can buy a 10yr old mid-range 5-series for £1000-1500 no problem as long as you're not one of those people who still thinks 100k miles means a car is ready for the scrapyard.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Ofaloaf posted:

Pardon the switch from the Nile discussion, but there's sporadic talk about US Top Gear here so it seems it's the right place to ask-- how is that show nowadays? Saw a couple episodes of the first season and thought they were total rear end, but they're still making new episodes which means it's maybe not as lovely now?

Depends entirely on whether or not you can stand to watch the hosts for more than 15 seconds.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

blk posted:

I wonder how wearing the Union Jack in Britain is taken compared to wearing a giant Stars and Stripes jacket/shirt/whatever in the States.

We don't really do that creepy American-style flag worship. It's just fashion. Slightly naff trashy fashion, but still just fashion.

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 22, 2013

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Replace strawberries with cheese and the joke works better.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I wasn't thrilled with the special. The guys seemed totally dispassionate through part 1, and only got interested in part 2. There was still no attachment to their vehicles like in other specials. At least the bridge-building was entertaining. James absolutely hating his truck was good fun too.

Good, so it isn't just me then.

I thought it was fine, but part 1 really didn't do it for me at all. Part 2 was better, but overall it was nowhere near the greatness of Botswana/Bolivia/Vietnam. Still 10x better than India/Iraq though.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Chris Evans must have incriminating photos of someone at the BBC, because that's the only reason I can think of as to why the irritating twat stays employed.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

The current government would rather sell the BBC to Rupert Murdoch than even entertain the idea of making it fully state-funded.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

I was a bit underwhelmed to be honest. It was fine, but it felt like just another mid-tier episode of Top Gear. I know they've got a formula that they know works, but I was expecting it to at least be a little different.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Data Graham posted:

Have they actually sold any of those things?

There's 144 on the road according to https://howmanyleft.co.uk, plus however many were sold abroad.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Just watched the Namibia special, and it was too little, spread too thin. It wasn't unwatchable poo poo like the India special, it was just dull like the Patagonia one. There's probably a decent 1 hour special in there if you edited it down, but they spent too long on the beach bit at the beginning, and the rest of it felt very padded out.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Humphreys posted:

Another thoroughly enjoyable episode. James mentioned that it wasn't his workshop in the Hornby episode, I felt a little disappointed in that.

Far too messy to be his own.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Deteriorata posted:

Watching James reassemble stuff is far more enjoyable.

Everything James has done outside TG has been good - Reassembler, Toy Stories, Big Ideas, even Oz and James's Big Wine Adventure where he basically just gets drunk all the time.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Don't screw it up, or you might get the shank.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

13x05 - £1500 RWD challenge

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Waltzing Along posted:

I just watched the Namibia episodes. I'm not a hard core fan, but those two were amazing. Is that the best thing they have ever done?

Maybe mid-tier as far as the specials go.

The Vietnam, Bolivia, and Botswana specials are the best imo. The Iraq one isn't too bad either.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

BigPaddy posted:

Pretty much everyone in Britain apart from BBC bigwigs knew that he would torpedo the whole thing.

Chris Evans knows where someone at the BBC buried a body. That's the only explanation I can come up with.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

I haven't watched Wheeler Dealers for years. Did it get better? Because the last time I watched it it was absolutely full of bullshit like claiming they fixed a misfire by changing the gear linkage, and not mentioning that the finished car clearly had a different engine to the one it started with.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

I went to a car club event at Silverstone in 2004 and Brewer turned up uninvited and tried to worm his way into the track by pulling a "don't you know who I am!?". When it didn't work he had a tantrum in the car park.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

What if the owners of the farmland don't want to sell it, but the owners of the airfield do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

DiggityDoink posted:

Yeah all of those elevated roadways would have me making GBS threads in my pants while driving on them.

There's also a non-zero chance they're made of literal garbage: