Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

InitialDave posted:

I don't disagree with his point, but yeah, he ain't funny.

Stew Lee is amazing. Back to your Micheal MacIntyre DVDs, you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Pretty sure production have form of buying relatively decent examples of the cars and then either 'arranging' whatever fault occours or letting it happen naturally. There's been a few instances of people who've sold nice cars to production to have them represented as nails on screen.

It makes sense to do it that way, though - it's insurance, to a degree.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
But don't you see, being casually racist is :lol: becuase he doesn't obey the rules, man.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Just watched it. Actually kind of surprised that he didn't mention that "his" car is made from a DeLorean. Or that Clarkson didn't mention it, seeing as how he hates them.

The rest of the episode: really great stuff. No needless japery, just great cars and really interesting to see them pushing themselves to the limit. Hope the season continues like this. The Aventador looks amazing, but I'm really digging the McLaren. I think James really sold it - would have been good to know more about that gearbox. I don't remember Clarkson talking about it much in his review? Also nice to see a Noble get a bit of exposure... I suspect Clarkson secretly likes those cars.

echoplex fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 30, 2012

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Yeah, I didn't buy that Hammond was working on the Noble at all, but then I was really surprised to see one even opened up on location. I guess because it's not realy a super-hi tech exotic, it's easier to do, but I thought cars like that were impenetrable to anyone other than the manufacturer?

CornHolio posted:

I thought the car Will designed from scratch was pretty awesome looking. :(

Except for those god-awful headlights.

It's not designed from scratch, it's a DeLorean with the world's worst bodykit.

http://i.imgur.com/gV5T5.jpg

You can see the original doors/headliner underneath all that poo poo there.

echoplex fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 30, 2012

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

sbaldrick posted:

Does anyone know why SIARPC is still part of the show? Besides one or two they are all horrible.

I would imagine if it's a big star touring/promoting something, it's paid-for (or used by the BBC for free advertising if promoting it's own show). It may help the episode-to-episode budget, but TG as a brand pulls in so much £ I never really believe the "we have no money" protestations from Willson and Clarkson. When it's a normal, TV-level british celeb/comedian, I think it's alright, really - works with the show's 'blokey' roots. Getting Hollywood A-listers and Wil.i.am is a bit mind boggling though.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

neckbeard posted:

Next week as per wikipedia: Matt "I'm no longer Joey from Friends" LeBlanc

Welp.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Crankit posted:

When you say Willson, you don't mean... Quentin Willson do you? I thought he'd gone to Fifth Gear years ago?

I meant Willman, I think. My bad. The main producer, but him and Clarkson are effectively equal as producers.

There's thousands of DeLoreans left, so he could easily do a small run of them if he wanted (and I hope he doesn't). I don't think it'll ever see production. There's waaaaay too much involved in just starting a car company even if you are sticking bodykits to cars (and if what I heard about the underneath of this thing being from a 300C is true, surely that's EVEN MORE engineering work) and who is going to buy them? Somewhere like WCC could easily crank out the 10 or so he'd sell... there's no way he can start a factory line somewhere and pretend these are coming out of it. It's just a publicity stunt. At best he'd be doing what WCC is doing - modding an existing car. Maybe if it was a barebones assembly kind of deal with the kits/modded interior, I could see it happening... but again, no-one would buy any of these. How many people does he plan to employ? The whole thing is :psyduck:

ColHannibal posted:

There are thousands of unassembled delorians including their terrible engine in California, warehouses full of parts when the company went bust.

Buy a "new" delorians for around 20k.

Well that's not even close to being true.

There's no unassembled cars... every 'new' one DMCH sell starts off with a refurbed underbody/existing VIN. They're not manufacturing new ones, they simply replace a lot of parts on an old car with thier NOS stock and label it as the updated model. And there's certainly not enough to make thousands... I don't even think there's a thousand of some of the body panels left. Maybe less than a few hundred of the left fender... and they're not making any more.

The "new DeLorean" hype that Wynne and Espey have pulled off is loving amazing, because people buy it wholesale... all you're doing is buying a horrifically overpriced, used car, with engine upgrades and a new stereo. And it costs a lot more than $20k. Even the Electric DMC they want to sell will be a 30 year old car with some new parts. These things exist to be sold to a few customers a year, but more to lure people in to looking at the used cars they sell which are much more reasonably priced. The updated engines are nice (and essential, really), but with the new engine they run almost $50k if I rememeber rightly. That's more money than a car like that would ever be worth.

echoplex fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 31, 2012

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Cojawfee posted:

^^^ I think they said they wanted to start making new parts of the cars. I don't know if anything ever came of that. Were the original molds destroyed or did they buy those?

They might have some of the fibreglass underbody moulds, but the panel dies where sold as scrap and used as weights for nets in the irish sea, right after liquidation. The panel dies are definitely long gone. Not that it would be hard to have them retooled in this day and age, but I can't imagine them breaking even on such an endeavour.

echoplex fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 31, 2012

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Seeing Clarkson drive the Aventador around the city looked terrifying. I know he's been doing it for years, but how do you get used to a car that wide/flat/long in an environment like that? I couldn't think of something I'd like to do less. At least when you drive a van around of a similar size you've got visibility on your side.

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

Isnt it just an engine and grill swapped lotus esprit S2? Its even got a few leftover leyland bits on the interior trim.

Naw. Though Lotus did the engineering work and it is pretty much a copy of the Esprit underneath in terms of manufacturing methods, it's all custom. The chassis is similar but designed for a rear engine layout rather than mid, etc. The fibreglass body is all custom, too. I think there's hardly any common parts between the two cars, actually - mostly because DMC part-binned from elsewhere to get the quantities they needed. Not sure how many Esprits Lotus made over 81-82 but I'd bet it was a lot less than 9,000.

The pre-prod cars did have a lot of leyland interior parts, though, I think the steering wheel was from a black cab, but a lot of it ended up being bespoke. The interior looks similar to the Esprit but most of that is down to Giugiaro (who also designed said Esprit). The glovebox may have been a shared part though. Sorry for off-topic DMC chat :ohdear:

E: the Esprit had some pretty rocking interior options:

echoplex fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jan 31, 2012

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Was watching the killer 959 vs F40 segment on youtube the other day, and suddenly it's really obvious how often they blur out the windows to hide the fact that it's not Hammond driving.

Can only imagine that the owners wanted to be driving their own cars around the camera cars rather than risk one of the TG crashing into them.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Bigsteve posted:

This final sequence is boring as poo poo. Really, first time ever I've turned off Top Gear.

This is painful, and Nick Love is terrible.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

InitialDave posted:

Isn't that the point?

Nick Love is a man without a point; a man without a purview to live; a man who should not be employed by anyone; a man who should have his kneecaps taken away from him.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Reynolds was pretty cool.

James really knows how to sell cars to me. I want a Panda now.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

InitialDave posted:

I've been rewatching the episode on iPlayer, and I'm pretty comfortable that, had Hammond just hosed off like he was told to at the start, the chase stuff would have been pretty watchable.

I'm confused now - you're talking like everything that happened wasn't pre-arranged? You know the stuff they shot won't actually be part of the film? I'm sure you do... I'm just confused.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Yeah, we rent technicranes all the time which are like the dumb brother of the russian arm, and that comes with like Two Dudes Who Are Mandatory. They're also loving expensive, I'm sure it was a couple of grand for a half-day.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Starting to think they should just hire Brian Johnson to be their US correspondent.

e: or fire Hammond

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
The Fenton thing was legitimately funny.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Yeah, Enthusiast Top Gear is much more fun than Arsehole Top Gear. James doesn't get to do enough history about cars.

I've nearly been hit by Siralun's Rolls-Royce twice in my life, one of those times being at the BBC. Glad to see it menaces other people and not just me.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Also the 599 or California or whatever across Romania. Not a race, but similar distances.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Haha, the height of May's gut. That's an ale drinker right there.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

opengl128 posted:

But I'd watch Edd fix cars all day long

Edd feels like Mike's abused wife who does all the hard work and doesn't really get the credit. At the end of each episode I keep hoping Edd will find the strength to leave him.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I can't vouch for the other episodes, but their DeLorean one was pretty bad. The whole "best DeLorean in the country" was a bit of a joke given how rough it looked on camera, and the price is sold for was comically high. In fact I think that the agreed price on camera was a long way off the price actually paid.

Edd's definitely got enough personality to carry the show on his own (or team up with James May... that'd be great)

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Haven't seen this, by my dad is from Pitlochry, and I know those roads well. Found last week's to be a bit dull (took 3 goes to get through it), but normally there's a standout episode per series so I'm sticking with it (also what else is there)

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Although he does smell a bit.

I find May's shows outside of TG to be the most entertaining. Clarkson's occasional war shows always seem a bit too masturbatory/Boy's Own, and Hammond is just... bland. I think he's fine on subjects he's actually passionate about but he's a trained generic face so any real character rarely comes through.

May's shows are bordering on twee a little bit but he's a really engaging presenter. I bet he never in a million years expected to end up as the face of Top Gear / popular science for TV / drive Veyrons / go into space / etc, when he was a magazine editor. You can't plan that kind of career trajectory.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Not sure if I've posted this - this is at one of the propmakers we use.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Ha, the restoration centre is a film studio in Bristol - the shutter where they rolled the cars out used to be my parking space.

e: this bit with the keys is interminable.

e: oh, makes sense now - they filmed Trollied in that studio which is where that supermarket set comes from.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I think the Chevy was a Suzuki, the Nova here was the Opel Corsa everywhere else, which then became the Vauxhall Corsa after a while here.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I sort of expected to be the previous gen Fiesta going by the other 2 cars. A friend had one - it was stolen from outside my house and then dumped about a mile way untouched because it was so poo poo.

God help me - I'm starting to like the styling on them now

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

GutBomb posted:

I'm American and I love cheese but I've never heard of this or seen it anywhere. Then again I just don't like apple pie so maybe I've just never been exposed to it.

Some cheese with a tart apple goes well on a cracker, but I think the above example is taking it a little far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Fairly sure that's John Paul Green the series production designer. Keep meaning to call him up for an interview.