Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
No one here gives a poo poo about how you spell the names of the cities - it's all politics. I laughed my rear end off when the signs tore off, it was brilliant. The income disparity, however, is quite :smith: but I was happy that they showed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
What does Will.I.Am's race have to do with the fact that he sucks :confused:?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Morphix posted:

It's too bad they didn't go into the russian arm some more, I used to be a jib tech and always wanted to play with an arm like this, the things it can do are honestly amazing.

http://filmotechnic.com/eng/equipment/46.html

http://youtu.be/5kjz4f8u8iI

You can't buy these units, they are only rent-able and come with 3 techs I believe. One is a driver, another controls the camera and the third does arm control. They're basically the most amazing thing ever when it comes to camera-car cranes.

Why can't you buy them? Is it some sort of proprietary tech available from filmotechnic only?

Also I had quite a few laughs during this episode, the staged bits and otherwise, so it was okay in my book. The whole 10 second bit holding the button was hilarious, as was the cringe-worthy dialogue preceding it. Plus it was funny seeing the director (producer?) telling Clarkson to gently caress off the second time :v:.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Morphix posted:

Film tech is usually proprietary simply because the uses are so unique to the film industry. And for the most part, a producer doesn't want to play with camera poo poo after a shoot.

Now, what if the camera car isn't setup perfectly and you end up tipping the fucker doing a sharp turn, congrats you just lost half a million worth of equipment. So you obviously want someone who only works with this piece of equipment operating it for you.

Where else would you need this quick of a crane besides a movie? Stuff down the line get's copied obviously, there are other film cranes available, some even that go on cars. But film people are professionals, so they don't comparison price shop for tools, they just know one works and the other doesn't. For example, maybe you've heard of a steadicam move? Well, the steadicam is a single dude's design, tiffen ended up buying them but it's still the goto piece of equipment for steadicam operators. As it's literally in their name.

Cameras aren't really like this except for a few special cases, like Arri and I think there is some special imax/boeing cameras that are similar. But basically all the older 35mm cameras, the real fancy ones, those were rent only.

Thanks for the info. Seeing how this facet of the movie industry works is pretty cool.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Someone should make a gif of May's face in the California when he revs it.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

explosivo posted:

I don't know how to make gifs but here's a screenshot!

:q:

And a bonus of Jeremy's "winning face"

:smug:
"Ladies and gentlemen, a miracle has happened today! I have won a thing!"

Edit: I just realized how remarkably similar these screenshots are.

These are awesome. Thanks!

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
They got an Ambassador from India. I'm so happy :allears:

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I quite liked the episode. SIARPC section was quite funny and the hot hatch section was interesting (for me atleast). The race was pretty good just to see May get smashed over and over again and to see Jeremy smash a car so gleefully.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

OldPueblo posted:

I literally thought he was talking about the bridge being sloped. That's how I took it. Now that I know, it's funny. Because it's wordplay, not an actual attack on that man on the bridge.

This is the exact process I went through. I'm Indian myself and I really don't see what she's so up in arms about.

lostleaf posted:

I'm pretty sure Indian people are considered Asian. But then I never heard of Indians being ridiculed for slanted eyes. I don't know what rod that actress shoved up her own butt.

Also this.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Powershift posted:

Stop thinking top gear is a factual show you retards.

Clarkson was cruising on the highway in a GT500, complained that he could only put 50 liters into the Gt500 and it could only do 140 miles to a tank and complained that it only did 14mpg, that would be a 45 liter fuel up.

It has a 61 liter tank, is rated at 24mpg, and a 280-340 mile range. based on it's combined/highway rating.

Either he drives everywhere in 3rd gear, or he just says what fits into the "american cars suck Europe forever rah rah rah" narrative. Every time the corvette comes up, he loves it on the track, then has to knock it back down by saying it hurts his back in traffic or by flexing the fiberglass on the back of it to show how cheaply built it is.

Remember all the stuff they faked on the tesla model roadster?

What did they fake during the tesla review? Honest question, not being snarky.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

It should've been a RAF Vulcan

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Team Bokkie Spinners was the only real good bit of the show

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
What an episode, total turnaround from the previous one. Even the music felt spot on like old TG and the celeb segment was short and easily skipped.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
This was the most Top Gear rear end episode they've done, I liked it.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
James May is indeed one smooth dude

(from the 'classic' (pre 1982) car challenge)

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv0JGRpSQxE

Engineer this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I watched the Top Gear episode where they have to make the scirocco ad and TGT seems to be an extension of that bit over a whole show. Starts off funny and then goes on forever with no real purpose and ending.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Oh man the Mexican sportscar news segment is scathingly racist.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Forgot the third option:

3) You took a wrong turn! Could be worse...

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvR4tugRRQQ

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I lost it when he started tap dancing on the pedals

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Mister Kingdom posted:

"You look like something found in a pyramid."

Probably the best line in the episode and everyone's reactions made it feel unscripted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not sure I watched the same episode as y'all, I thought it was pretty terrible and not just because of the Corbyn :airquote: "joke" :airquote:.