Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I can't see anything but the 1999 Mustang in the grille.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I really hope that the stuff sent to the newspapers was actually a proper segment and we see how fast a fat old man is around the track on a bicycle.

That is if he didn't give up half way through.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Wait, it's over?

I thought it started now :(

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Watch Bomber Boys on BBC1 instead, then.

OK.

It also appears that my BBC2 stream is down so nothing gained, nothing lost.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

What the gently caress was up with the random numbers and letters the Chinese named their cars?

Overall a good episode, the NASCAR bit was actually quite cool, the Mercedes was ridiculous, the Chinese Reliant was amazing and I never would've guessed LeBlanc was a bit of a petrolhead. Looked like he hadn't slept for 48 hours, though.

Also (although without citations) the Wiki tells me that Ryan Reynolds is going to be this week's guest, I don't really know about that.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

jojoinnit posted:

I thought Jeremy said he quit years ago. Anyways that was pretty cool, thanks for finding it.

I think Jeremy has quit and started smoking again more times than James has re-arranged his spanner set.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

The shot of the FFs exhaust when it takes off...

Incredible.

Great episode.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I come bearing gifs.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

That girl behind Hammond during the news :swoon:

Also he didn't give himself pleasure while driving, what's up with that?

And I had no idea Saab was being finally completely shut down, I thought someone had bought them (again). That sucks.

Sucks even more for all the E30 maniacs going nnnNNOOOOO!

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Maybe he was going to apply teeth whitening products.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

CornHolio posted:

I loved that Saab part. I want them to do a segment like that for every car company, even the terrible ones.

So far they've done, let's see... Saab, Maserati (when reviewing the Enzo knockoff), Lancia, um... any more?

British Leyland :downs:

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Brutus was the most ridiculous thing.

Crazy German Man please build me one.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

djdanno13 posted:

Speaking of the Morgan. I don't know if my mind was blown more when Hammond did donuts with it, or May actually doing donuts.

He has done them before, hasn't he?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

djdanno13 posted:

I only remember him trying to do a burnout (elevenses) with a Cadillac STS and almost crashing in the ditch.

He did proper elevenses in the £1500 Porsche challenge.

Maybe I'm misremembering the donuts thing.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

2ndclasscitizen posted:

He's no worse than Clarkson.

And no worse than any Audi/BMW/[insert manufacturer here] fanboy.

E30 E30 E30 E30 E30

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

And then they cut off half of Blur's performance to show... something. I know it went on an another channel but I don't know who watched that after that awful awful performance of 'Song 2' (Although 'Tender' was great).

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

The M5 was cool, Kimi was Finnish, the California was gorgeous, Slash was chill, rallycross was fun as hell - an excellent way to end a series.

The next series starts June-Julyish, right?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I am now watching the Botswana special again.

OLIVEEEEEERR!

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Clarkson is saying on Twitter that there'll be a Christmas special and Top Gear will be back in January, after 'Cowell has finished his singing competition'.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

alex314 posted:

Should any of their new cars fail, they could switch to some tried Soviet/Russian design from Gaz. Also there NEEDS to be Lada Niva somewhere in the challenge! :)

UAZ or bust.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

japtor posted:

Was this post written with voice dictation or is that just a horrible nickname you just came up with?

And since we're talking about Fifth Gear, reminder that it's coming to the US on Velocity next month, although there doesn't seem to be a date or schedule for it yet.

Clarkson calls Tiff that because Clarkson and it does kinda sound like that if you don't know what's up with 'Tiff'.

Tiff.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Scottw330 posted:

I was kinda hoping they would find some sort of 1904 steam car that exploded on every turn, but I guess top gear doesn't really do old cars.

Yeah, but in 1904 people didn't exactly know what they were doing. Ferrari/Peugeot/Lancia etc. do or at least should.

And they did that rather great "Where/when did cars get things right?" thing where James and Jeremy drove the De Dijon and Model T and other old rear end thing. James and Jeremy together do some pretty good segments. Like this DVD.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

"Build mobility scooters that can handle the everyday life of a TV presenter"?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Hey how's everyone's day going?

Pretty well, I'm thinking of watching some quality programming on TV. What about you guys?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

KillerKatten posted:

Seriously is it on today?

Yes.

New series The motoring magazine returns. Jeremy Clarkson attempts to build a car that is even smaller than the Peel P50 and then tests it out on the streets of London before pitching his concept in the Dragons' Den. James May puts the Bentley Continental GT Speed through its paces by taking it on a rally stage, while Richard Hammond drives the new Pagani Huayra hypercar before handing it over to the Stig. Golden Globe-winning Homeland star Damian Lewis goes for a spin in the Reasonably Priced Car

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I really liked that segment too, but I was always under the impression that the numbers were opposite of what they had explained. Ex: 1 is drat-near a hairpin, whereas a 6 is a super-gentle full-throttle turn. I guess it varies from driver to driver.

This is what I thought, too. Thanks for nothing, Colin McRae Rally :argh:

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Deedle posted:

As far as I know this depends entirely on the driver and co-driver. I've seen pacenotes where corners were categorised as flat, easy, medium, hard, and hairpin where the number meant the amount of turning in degrees. A corner read out as "easy 6 left" would mean a fast left corner of 60 degrees.
I've also seen interviews with rallye drivers who would note in which gear to take a corner, making a 6 a faster corner than a 3.

I always figured the numbers were gears but it being the crews choice makes sense.

And while I'm guessing James had a bit more training than what was shown dropping someone into the co-drivers seat and expect them to read the notes was not very nice.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I thought the same for the first few minutes but then the announcer guy showed up and it was great. "Jeremy has insulted Duncan Bannatyne and now he too is out."

I do agree that a 2-3 minute trim of the P45 segment would've been nice.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Bring back Will Young.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

It was actually a diversion - Hammond (and we) thought he was just a tired old man while actually he had planned everything in advance. He slept the exact time needed to have the required strength for the final bit.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Dick Diggler posted:

I'm guessing it took longer than they showed to assemble. It was only a mile after all.

And something tells me that he isn't exactly in very good shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Now I really want to see you lot watch Chop Shop London Garage.

Leepu was loving hilarious.

God drat were those cars poo poo.