Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

coolskillrex remix posted:

I thought the same thing.. $7k pounds buys you a nice condition car with good reliability and doesnt make for exciting anything. Although my memory was wrong and i though they bought cars for cheap in britain for the bolivia episode but turns out i was wrong

Even for 7k, you'd expect that an ancient Rolls and a Leyland Jaaaag would be broken more often then not, so I think that's the surprise of this episode. Sadly, I have to agree that this was the weakest special, basically the hill climb, highway and the mountain roads were the only highlights. The party was awkward and boring and I skipped through it, most of the rest was just kind of unremarkable. The problem might be that they spent too long in the city - oh look, there's traffic everywhere, just like in other cities! Once they were in the more unfamiliar territory, I thought it got better.

A few of the complaints might've been references to other specials - the oversize present and the train ride to Vietnam, and loving up their cars with huge tires to South America, for instance. I didn't mind that, but it was shame that they ruined what were up to that point perfectly fine cars. Oh well. Maybe for the next special, they could go back for these cars (if they're not stolen) and drive them through China to Hong Kong or Macao or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Russia is a good idea, this road (the M10, I think) looks perfect:

(note the optimistic limit there)

The script writes itself: go to Russia, buy a Soviet/Russian car for <$500, drive it from A to B, where the points are chosen to maximize lovely roads between them. Clarkson would love that because he'd be able to fix his car with a hammer.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Africa and Polar were the best specials, no doubt.

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, if they do even a small amount of what was in Long Way Round, it'd be pretty interesting.

I can see Hammond buying a Niva, May a UAZ-452, and Clarkson turning up in a 6x6 Ural :black101:

You know, the more we talk about this, the more it makes sense. Another benefit would be that they seem to genuinely hate soviet cars, so seeing them stuck in some commie death traps for several days would be perfect. They might even come out liking their cars, teaching us the important lesson that it's possible to love even objectively terrible cars, as long as they have some character and you do something interesting in them.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This new episode is a great start for the season, really enjoyed it with the usual exception of SIARPC, which wasn't too bad I guess. I had no idea who that guy was supposed to be up until they put up a photo of the bastardized DMC, which I think was posted in AI before. He might be (=probably is) a talentless hack, but I can't hate him too much if he really helps his relatives and the community.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Agreed. And the SIARPC is fine when they actually have someone who's into cars. I'm amazed how often they don't, considering it's a CAR SHOW

It's not a CAR SHOW, it's an entertainment show, and thus it gets entertainment guests :jerkbag:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Also bring a hammer for Jeremy to sign. Then use it to hit Hammond :)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Canada's WD is pretty good as they genuinely try to help the people become better/less dangerous drivers through valid advice and professional guidance. It's interesting to watch too because most drivers have distinct personalities that in some way inhibit their driving, and (most) try to overcome this during the course of the season. If nothing else works, you can still laugh at how horribly people manage to gently caress up the basic things like reversing, turning, or going straight.

There's also the Dutch version where a contestant took out a host and/or crew during one of the challenges.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvckBJP8QPU
Rather predictively, I have to say, once you see how optimistic the producers were regarding the drivers' abilities in setting up the course layout. Also the lady in the back seat wasn't wearing her seatbelt :mad:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That's because most lovely Korean cars are at the same time at least not pretentious. That Hyundai Accident was by all accounts awful, but it was also one of the cheapest, if not the cheapest new car available. And they got this covered at the beginning with the Polonez and the Jeep knockoff.

The Lexus... wanted to be a better Merc SL, failed terribly in every way and was still expensive as hell.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Looking forward to the Christmas special, was it revealed what it was going to be about?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KozmoNaut posted:

I don't know, but I do know it won't air until february :(

Wait, what? Christmas special in February? They should just go ahead and call it the Easter special from now on :negative:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sinestro posted:

I know, I was talking about the hot hatches.

You can get the MazdaSpeed3, Focus ST, Golf GTI/R/R32, Civic Type R, and the Mini Coopers at least. So you're missing... the Astra VXR/OPC and Retanult Whatever, which is a pity but hardly a tragedy.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I paid 100EUR to fill my Omega a while ago :negative:

On the upside, I'd only have to stop once and would thus be able to easily beat the train. Good episode, even SIARPC was interesting, though honestly, I found the accent to be a bit too much, it was like listening to Fat Bastard's annoying cousin.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So maybe Seinfeld?

Sadly, I have to agree that Adam is the weakest link. Rutledge has this goony persona and Tanner is all "POWAAA!!" like Clarkson, except actually capable and less offensive. The show could do a better job of using them, certainly, but it's only Adam that doesn't really bring anything interesting to the table.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Great special so far, hopefully part 2 will continue delivering.

While Jezza's BMW was quite expected, I really have no idea how May could think that a lowered turbo brick with huge wheels and skinny tires is a good car to bring to Africa. Didn't they make crossover V70s before that became cool? Because that's what I'd get if I had to have a Volvo.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

grover posted:

I thought they said 15,000 quid.

Then the question remains pretty much the same, doesn't it? :)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

davebo posted:

I guess so. That chair probably does provide a lot of downforce at speed.

It also ruins the joke for anyone who sill hasn't seen the episode.
:rimshot:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Does the trick with Tor still work nowadays?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Have to say that I also thought that the first episode was much stronger. Basically, everything that had Clarkson in it turned out pretty good, while Hammond's and May's segments were kind of boring and pointless. The taxi race was ok until it went obviously scripted while the BBC building race was just difficult to follow and silly (jumping through plate glass?). I also really hoped the guys would just race inside in karts or on minibikes at least.

Ak Gara posted:

I wouldn't mind seeing a list of the power lap board sorted by time per dollars/pounds to get an idea of what's fastest for the least money.
Incoming :spergin:

Just quickly threw this together so sorry about the labeling. Unsurprisingly the three points at the top are Pagani/Bugattis, while the two in the bottom left corner are the Mono and Atom 500. The two lowest points at ~78 seconds are the Caterham R500 and Nissan GT-R, which does very well for being an actual usable car. For comparison, there's a Corvette in the bottom right corner as well. I can post the data I collected so far if anyone's feels like wasting more time :)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
In particular, I liked where this was going before they cut away:

But yeah, it was a fun episode - I usually enjoy their "build" challenges when they're taking it seriously. So this or the stuff like the diesel BMW race car are among my favorites, while the random "lol won't it be funny..." things are less so. SIARPC was cool too, as was the review. Hopefully they can keep up the momentum with the rest of the series.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That trunk looked more useless than the NA Miata one, which isn't very good for a larger car.

The last segment was a bit too :britain::fh: for my taste. Not that I have any serious issues with the UK (at least since decolonization), but just the general nationalistic pandering of it. Imagine if the same thing was done unironically with, say, American cars. Three guys in convertible Camaros driving in front of the capitol with American flags sticking out while talking about how many cars Honda builds in the US and how American-made differentials are used in German cars or something. I dunno, just seemed almost laughable to me.

Other than that though I thought this was a very good episode. Enjoyed James' bus adventures and even the SIARPC, it was nice to see the Liana again.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
When I was in the states last fall, I filled up in Florida, New Jersey probably what was Pennsylvania. All required pre-pay of some sort, and I had to go talk to the clerks because of my moon euro-card. Except once in Orlando where I was in a rush to the airport so just punched in some combination of zeros and my post code until the card was accept; don't recall ever being charged for that :shrug:. In Jersey some guy filled it up for me, just like in Russia!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh poo poo it's Sunday already... does the proxy trick still work with the iPlayer?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
In England you can!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Haha holy poo poo, this is what it was about? I saw the headline on BBC but didn't click through but that's downright amazing stuff.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Were all their cars German in this special? Because that could very well be a Nazi reference!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ola posted:

No, it airs tomorrow, 8:30. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04ww8hj

Part 2 on Sunday at 8.

Is it still possible to watch from the site with some Tor fuckery like it used to?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mod sassinator posted:

Lived 75 miles from the studio, like a 2.5 hour drive twice every day? Christ.

It's not going to be 2.5 hours unless the route is directly across the center of London, is it?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
If anyone wants to get rid of their E92 M3 in favor of the clearly much better M4 after this episode, I'd be willing to take it off your hands.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

pik_d posted:

This reminds me, they never did that P1 vs 918 thing, did they?

I think they did test them last year on a track in Abu Dhabi or something.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo, this has been the best season in years so far, I wouldn't mind if they wrapped it up at the high note at the end but mid-season would suck.

If he is kicked out, hopefully he'll go to America where he'll fit right in with all the other racists :v:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, and then he ruined a manual 928 GT. Hang the fucker!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That wasn't a 928 IIRC. I meant the Argentinian car that he ruined by taking it offroad and "improving" it, though the locals did put the final nail in.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah keep in mind that this is the place where they'll outlaw pointy sticks and try to make useless kitchen knives because normal ones could potentially be used to hurt someone. They'll ID check you when buying loving super glue. Of course they'll get their panties in a bunch over nothing.

Or maybe Clarkson did punch him (which is a fireable offense in any normal company) and now they're trying to cover it up because the whole thing was making everyone too much money. Which is what I'd do if my cash cow punched me.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is there anywhere at BBC I can write and bitch about this? This is collective punishment and if they don't reconsider, I'll go to the loving UN if I have to.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Haven't they used "pikey" before and in a more obvious manner? I distinctly remember James May referring to the hammer as the "took of a pikey" when jeremy looked way too enthusiastic about it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
BBC should just put a South Park style warning message before every show saying that Top Gear contains terrible opinions by terrible people and should not be watched by anyone. I'll then keep watching it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Preoptopus posted:

Mostly this. I feel like just because you can do something maybe sometimes you should not.

What the hell kind of opinion is this? :frogout:

I mean I'd take the Viper over the barges every time too but they're basically the classic muscle cars that are actually fast and good. A great choice if I had 1.2 kids or whatever to drive around.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Does that surprise you?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is that even enough to buy a Veyron? I wouldn't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just saw the news about the Amazon deal, that's pretty cool and I'm happy they found a solution (though I wish Hannibal would too). This reminded me that I never looked into how the whole BBC thing concluded - did anything worthwhile come out of that mess?