Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Look, I love Top Gear to death but I'm not gonna pretend that Jeremy Clarkson's publicly-made opinions on most things that lie beyond the realm of "the M3 is the best car in the world but it's driven by twats" aren't terrible, reprehensible, and stupid.

Lazy, feckless teachers of the Poors, how I hate you and wish you would die! (PS please send millions of pounds of your licence fee money to the usual bank account in the Cayman Islands).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/dec/19/jeremy-clarkson-investigated-ofcom

(e: It's OK folks, I'm just "joking", except about the money of course.)

Saga fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Dec 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Sir Tonk posted:

Oh man, that Caterham 160 looks like so much fun.

http://uk.caterhamcars.com/cars/seven-160

This needs to be available in the US.

As you would expect with this show, it wasn't really the full account.

Practically speaking, you need the heater, full weather kit and probably the spare wheel (not included!) to make it anything other than a track day car, unless you live in Texas or southern California. Certainly you do in the UK, where as you may have heard it drizzles a lot. That's a lot of extra money and extra weight eating into that 5.9 sec 0-60. A used Ford engined roadsport (small, skinny rims) with weather kit and heater is probably a better deal.

Also, while the numbers are theoretically exactly what a driving enthusiast should be looking for in a road car, there is a basic problem with this car for UK drivers. If you're caught doing up to 80mph in a 60 or 90 on a motorway in your new 200hp Audi TDi POS upper middle class snorevagen, you most likely get a fixed penalty speeding fine and 3-5 points. If you're caught deliberately inducing 20 degrees of opposite lock at 30mph on a completely deserted roundabout, you are setting yourself up for a possible dangerous driving charge. Which is the UK equivalent of a felony.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Morphix posted:

Because it wasn't, he knew it wasn't, that's why it wasn't broadcast, maybe he was having a lovely day and wanted to say something outright ridicilous n blah blah who cares, you get the explanation that's worthy of how important this issue is in the grand scheme of things.

At the end of the day it's a car show with three old white dudes. Ya or two outta that bunch may hold some stupid views, I'm here for their opinion about cars, not their opinion on minorities.

Much like certain posters in GBS 1.4, the fact that it's a word Clarkson would think is somehow amusing to use says a lot about him.

And while he's free to be a racist in his own time, I don't think the licence fee payer should be subsidising it. Let ITV or C4 have him - I'm sure he will continue to write and say amusing things about cars for you Morphix, just not at public expense. I can think of a lot of things Auntie could have done with his £14m, starting with the Moto GP rights they lost to BT Sport and ITV respectively.

The two saddest things about this are (i) it has given Piers Moron something to gloat about and (ii) it's not even amusing. I mean if you're going to shock people with unbroadcast footage, do it in style, like the cast of "Rainbow".

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Sir Tonk posted:

New host should be Adam from TGUS for maximum trolling effect.

He would actually do fine with May and Hammond. The best thing would be to swap him with Clarkson, so Clarkson has to suffer the awful dweebie guy and gets Tanner Foust smoking him every week.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

holocaust bloopers posted:

I'm pretty sure getting heated after a long, stressful day happens and it's always the dumbest poo poo that is the last thing to set someone off. Clarkson isn't headed for a mental care ward.

If the story is true, he shouldn't have punched the guy, but I can understand being pissed about something like that.

This was filming in Newcastle, however. So Geordie jokes aside, at most he was facing the terrible strain involved in waiting for take out or sending a runner to the nearest super-Tesco.

Also, this is the UK. While it's harder to get fired for not being very good at your job, punching people at work usually does get people fired unless the employer has a very good alternative that wouldn't play very badly in the otherwise inevitable employment tribunal.

Of course this isn't a normal employment situation and the Beeb have previously been willing to pay substantial compromise payments to remove presenters they don't want any more (e.g. older women). So it may be that, while getting advice on their rights against Clarkson, they're also negotiating the size of the cheque + apology this Oisin dude would accept to agree to be moved to another show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Plucky Brit posted:

He did have a fantastic line about the Aztek though:

"This personifies everything that was wrong with GM in the late 90s: Design by Committee. You know the committee that designed this wasn't fired? They were executed."

I think one positive thing you can say about the Aztek is that it actually started to look less horrible after a few years. I remember first seeing one somewhere in Wilmington in 2002/3 and thinking "holy gently caress what is that startlingly awful piece of poo poo". But today it just looks like it has some unnecessarily fussy window framing at the back.

I hate 90s GM as much as the next person, but the exterior styling grates on me less than all those anonymous, grey, "boiled sweet" VWs they sold over here in the UK during the Aztek's production life. And unlike the usual run of soccer mom SUVs, you could get them with actual useful features, like a usable cargo area and that instant car camping kit. Unfortunately you also got a 90s GM interior and basically a 90s GM chassis being built in 2001, so...