Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I maintain that there could have been one hell of a TGUS with Alton Brown, Patrick Warburton, and William Shatner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Unfortunately the specials without Clarkson are usually pretty awful. Remember that "post-apocalyptic" one?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Okan170 posted:

I liked the Dacia Sandero; it was honest and simple and refreshing. And now they've gone and ruined it.

Nah, that was James' Fiat Panda. They ruined the Sandero they gave him in the episode where they went to Romania. He never even got to drive it more than a few minutes.

Holy poo poo, Jeremy's actually going to say some negative things about the Ferrari 458? :allears:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

In S18 Hammond seemed to be going out of his way to show off how fit he was—lots of tight shirts, bare arms, funky hipster haircuts, etc.

To me it screamed :byodood: I SPENT THE PAST THREE MONTHS AT THE GYM YOU GUYS

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dad's exo-suit! He told me all about it!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"For reasons we don't quite understand" is what they always said.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jeremy dispensing fuel into the garbage can was perhaps the funniest thing I've ever seen in this show.

I have no idea what happened in the subsequent 60 seconds, other than me and my roommate laughing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jeremy's prolonged, inhuman yell of pain every time he hit his face on the windshield was unbelievably great.

He's really suffering for his art.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Payndz posted:

Bentley put some pics of the car on Twitter; it was driven straight back to the factory after the rally, still caked in mud. It's now part of their development fleet. (Well, they'd have a job selling it after what it was put through.)

The value of that car as a test mule, having been taken to the edge of what will ever be done with a CGT—not to mention the exposure it got on this episode—is way higher to Bentley than they ever would have gotten by selling it retail. Remember, this is Volks-"we lose millions on every Veyron"—wagen. They'd be ecstatic to just write the whole thing off as a marketing expense.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The rally thing was genuinely informative, too. I hadn't had any knowledge of the course callout language until just now.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The trouble with the TGUS hosts is that I can never in a million years convince myself that these three guys would ever hang out together if they weren't being paid.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

KozmoNaut posted:

Unrelated, but I absolutely love the nav system in the LFA.

What, you mean the one that tries to reduce driver distraction by involving a human who programs your nav for you over the phone, and then makes you invoke that feature by moving a mouse pointer?

That has got to be the dumbest UX "innovation" I've ever seen.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I also liked how the concierge was all like "Oh my! :allears: " rather than "Uhhhhhh... wut?"

Bet they get all kinds of winners calling in.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

KozmoNaut posted:

You forgot the Fiat 500 Abarth, I'd definitely call that a hot hatch.

Except it's not a hatch. :smuggo:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

fivre posted:

For a second I thought it was a unicycle, which would have been a riot.

I was hoping it would be a Gockicle. :v:

E: This was great:

My brain helpfully played the "Mario going down a pipe into the underworld" sound effect for me.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 11, 2013

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"He's turning left... and he's turning left... and left again..."

:rimshot:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I thought it was a riff on that. They were in it together that time for the joke of the reveal. This time, James was trolling Richard with a callback Richard should have seen coming.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And how vulnerable is the lidar turret to a single sniper?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I genuinely lost it when I saw they had taken the airbag out of the dash and just friggin' glued it to the rear bumper.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Reiterating my dream cast of Alton Brown, Patrick Warburton, and William Shatner.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wasn't the "Hammond" in the welding mask wearing a sidearm?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

One of my favorite "clearly unscripted" things was when they built their homemade caravans and had them parked on the beach while the tide was coming in. They only managed to shoot one brief snippet of Clarkson shrieking and trying to dig himself out of ankle-deep water, and then cut to him in the driver's seat breathing hard and going "Well... that was intense."

Nothing telegraphs "we didn't set this up, honestly" better than not actually having footage of it. Oddly, the narrative doesn't suffer for it!

Now, having the SLS and the 458 "randomly" lining up at a stop light in New York City, where they just happened to have about six stationary cameras set up all around the intersection in advance...

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Something's definitely wrong when he looks about 30 years older than William Shatner, who is 82.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Google Butt posted:

I decided to start from season 1, on season 4 now. They seem to be all about VoxelVauxhall, a company I've never heard of before. Are they actually decent cars?

Also the teeth, god drat.

Yeah, if you've ever driven a Chevy, you be the judge.

Then get ready to watch Clarkson acknowledge upon its introduction that the Chevrolet Lacetti is just a rebadged Daewoo from Korea, and then year after year of British stars lambast it as a piece of American crap, sometimes with him joining in.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Se-LEE-ka
Im-PRET-sa
PRY-us

And my favorite: everything is a certain number of MILEzaway :allears:

E: Peugeots were sold here in the US until the 80s, so I was around them a far bit in my youth. But I always pronounced it "pew-goat" because I was five and I thought it was funny. Plus I don't think I ever tried to say it right.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jul 1, 2013

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Of course now I can't ever read "sport mode" in any context without hearing "Sport MODE?! :monocle: "

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm not as up on my geography of England as I should be, but what part of Hertfordshire was he showing off in the F12 segment? I've been combing over it in Google Earth for twenty minutes now and it all looks like virtually flat farmland. Where were those shots of lonely desolate winding roads through snow-flecked mountains taken?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's Britain. Per month.

:wotwot:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm sure most of this week's episode must have been filmed in condemned/slated-for-demolition housing blocks or something, and sneaky camera work can make even Manhattan look like the zombie apocalypse hit it, but jeeezus that's one deserted-looking country. I know I haven't read about the mass depopulation of Spain on CNN lately, though maybe that's just because it's world news or something.

Someone please train these guys how to pronounce "pie-ella" though.

Also Cummerbund Bandersnatch made a pretty hilariously awkward guest. Mention Trekkies and immediately he's off talking about all the creepy slash fiction he's been forcing himself to read as role research.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's not implausible, given all the other damage they were pretty sure had happened just then. Those long telephoto shots where the car is surrounded by a dust cloud? Probably more like a pebble cloud.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"When the river Penis bursts its banks..."

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The first time they took the carloads of brand-new stuff from Home Depot to the "tip" and deadpan tossed it all in, I missed whatever they said for the next two or three minutes from laughing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

To think he had Arwen in his balls.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

In case your suspension bursts into flames. :v:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Vitamin J posted:

They also staged the j-turn because the Tiguan couldn't do it with the DSG and stability control. And they staged the first hovervan because it couldn't hover and they staged the 2nd hovervan because it had the drivetrain removed and couldn't drive out of the water on it's own. Also they staged that pass on the Bolivian death road and they staged James' airship disaster and--

Yeah, the "pass" is hilarious. It's just a road straight up a volcano. It doesn't go anywhere else. They cut the trip short right at the final switchback, and carefully angled the camera back downhill.

It was still badass though, and I don't doubt they were in real distress.

E: Wait, I was thinking of the wrong "pass". You meant the narrow overtake on the crumbling road in the rain, where Clarkson was coming back downhill for some reason and the vehicle he was passing was a Lexus SUV you'd never in a million years see a local there driving. :downs:

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 4, 2013

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's a nice antidote to the downer emotional-blackmail showpieces they've gotten into the habit of doing in the last few seasons (the one where they took classic British roadsters to their old abandoned factories, the funereal and nearly wordless Aston Martin V12 Vantage review, etc).

It's in the same chest-puffing vein as the tribute to the E-Type on Beachy Head, but less tongue-in-cheek. Good to see they've got it in 'em to be both sincere and upbeat.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's kind of unfair to single it out. Most small roadsters have exactly the same problem (the BMW Z4 comes to mind), but nobody notices because they don't come with a spare wheel.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cojawfee posted:

Doesn't the z4 have run flats? I seem to remember when the Z4M came out, they replaced the run flats.

Dunno, I put PS2s on mine. They originally were Continental something-or-others. I don't think they ever described them as run-flats.

But the point holds—it's dumb to plan for a spare in a car with no space, huge wheels of unequal sizes, and lots of power. It won't do you any good.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'll give it this, it's actually starting to be funny. It's taken them like five seasons, but finally they seem to have attracted some actual dialogue writing talent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And the BL nostalgia trip may have been the best thing they ever did.

The doors falling off the SD1, Jesus Christ