Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

leica posted:

Shut up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Requesting a GIF of that dong toss. Because that was impressive.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

Not Top Gear/Tour related, but Edd China is leaving Wheeler Dealers. He will be replaced by Ant Anstead.

I'm not familiar with him. What's his story?

Aw man, that sucks. Edd was the only reason I watched that show.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

I've been watching the new Wheeler Dealers. Mike is still Mike. Ant is pretty good, and he definitely knows his poo poo, but I don't find him as personable as Edd.

Yeah, I miss Edd but it's still got nearly the same level of decent wrench turning content, Ant definitely seems legit. Still better than the trash that passes as car shows on TV otherwise.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Colostomy Bag posted:

I was expecting the show to be somewhat ruined based on Edd's statements when he quit. But yeah, it's identical. Ant is good in the fabrication department as well.

Some of the mechanical bits do seem to be more glossed over now. In the latest episode (the Dodge van) they started off with "so I removed the engine" and didn't show a single bit of it. Still not bad though.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Did anyone else notice they were using space saver spares for the drifting?

Yes, after they showed them being swapped and said they were doing it so it'd be easier to lose traction.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

The burning Alpine was cool.

That was wild. Pretty car when its not on fire.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

drgitlin posted:

They do have wheeler dealers.

That's the only thing I've been watching outside of Roadkill/Hot Rod stuff. The rest is complete trash.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Edd China's new show is on Youtube. Haven't watched it yet but looking forward to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaW9Sg5NPyE

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

That's a bummer.

And bring back original Top Gear US. It was legit good.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The tiny Hammond statue legit got me. I cracked up when they revealed how small it was.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Awesome episode. I legit wanna hang out in May's pub RV.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

net work error posted:

Top Gear UK is going to be on the Motortrend app and they're making Top Gear America again.
https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/top-gear-motortrend-bbc-studios-1203185477/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

I'm still salty they cancelled the last Top Gear US. Those guys developed great chemistry and the show really found it's footing. The last couple seasons were great.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The Mondeo ST wagon made me really mad all we got was the Contour SVT. That thing looked rad.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Mainly salty as usual that we never get the cool wagons.

Also, color me surprised as well the BBC let them use Top Gear footage. Didn't expect that at all.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Yup been enjoying this season. This week's was great, and that ending was :discourse:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The way he pronounced "rare" was killing me.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Powershift posted:

And it's loving trash

Boy are you wrong on this one. I have zero tolerance for trash reality tv and forced drama. Hyperdrive seems like it'll go that direction towards the beginning, and the other commentators kind of suck, but the show gets amazing. You should really give it another shot if you only watched one or two.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Welp, time for another Top Gear US cast

https://collider.com/top-gear-america-cast-release/

Still salty they cancelled the last iteration as it had gotten pretty drat good in my mind.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

They should just give up already. Either find a team and stick with them, or stop trying. You can't get over the hump of three people awkwardly interacting if you keep assembling new groups of people.

That's the thing! They got past that hump and then some with the last crew. Bleh.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

That dam drop :stare:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

So-so episode. The Dart was kind of badass. I legit cracked up and had to pause it when the back fell off the Trans Am. Looked like the rear end was held in with rebar somehow, lol.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Qmass posted:

back to manufactured drama nonsense this week. I assume most viewers are into that kind of thing and I just cannot understand why they are... kind of like everything most people are into.

Yeah pretty big yawnfest, other than the electric VW. That thing was bonkers.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Pretty solid ep yesterday. The F40/XJ220 segment was great. Paddy's off with the Diablo was painful though, but at least of the three that was probably the least valuable? Wonder who lent them that car and how that phone call went.

I was also cringing along with Chris when that RS was getting beat up, but I was super glad he got it fixed up.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The annoying thing is the last one was just fine. They hit their groove and it was super enjoyable.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Agreed loved seeing Tanner cane all the cool cars they got. There was an amazing shot of him doing a slow drift at very high speeds in I think it was a Shelby Mustang of some flavor.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I was amazed how well the Caterham did. Also genuine laughs at how miserable May looked every time he good flooded with mud water.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

wolrah posted:

I'm surprised the AWD systems in both the Focus and the Bentley held up as well as they did. Neither are designed for off road use with constant slip, I would have expected them to have had heat issues.

Hammond mentioned a howling front wheel bearing in the RS, but yeah, I was thinking about that too. I'm sure the diffs weren't happy at the least.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Surely they had to know that from the beginning. Unless the Bentley fell off a truck.

When they first showed the cars I thought they were all new so I wondered about that, but later on they show the cluster in the Bentley briefly and it had ~70k km IIRC.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Yeah I’ve watched them all but it’s all just, whatever.

Bring back Rut and the boys.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

CornHolio posted:

I don't know, honestly the last couple of seasons of Top Gear USA were up there alongside original Top Gear if you ask me. The three presenters had distinct personalities and great chemistry, and the fact that every episode was a challenge of some sort made for some great TV.

Agreed. It had fully hit its stride when they cancelled it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

That was a really fun episode. Hope this season keeps up.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

That looked legitimately terrifying, especially at those speeds.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

It's really really really bad. I barely made it through the first episode.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

New Top Gear America is somehow getting worse as the season goes on. I could barely finish the episode 2 weeks ago and have had no desire to watch more. It's just completely devoid of any fun and is way too staged even by Top Gear standards.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Just went live on Amazon, firing it up now

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Come to find out donk racing fuckin rules

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The whole trucker segment was great. I expected them to just putter around the airfield and do stunts and stuff but it was fun seeing that they actually got licensed and took them out on the road.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I'm glad they didn't give the M3 a pass for the pig snout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

That Rimac was p.cool. Thailand was fun.