Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010

A5H posted:

So was that clutch really from the noble?
It looked surprisingly 'not hardcore' for something with 650bhp.

That and the circumstances of the failure seemed pretty weak, he wasn't slipping it like hell doing rollbacks or anything. Good that they actually showed a proper failure though, whenever something high end breaks it always just gets rolled away and fixed behind closed doors. Lambo did a promo run with the Aventador in outback Aus, the harmonic balancer shat itself the car was instantly swept away.

coolskillrex remix posted:

Seemed like the flames lasted a long loving time on the track from the lambo. Is that the lambo burning off excess fuel?

On fast revving race engines where fuel economy isn't a major design criteria it's much easier and safer to tune the car to be overly rich. I Imagine the fuel and spark timing reacting to a 100 ms gear change at full throttle, where either side of the gear change the engine's at max load and suddenly for a short spurt in the middle hardly any fuel is required. They kill the excess torque generated by the motor by reducing the spark timing but a shitload of unburnt fuel makes its way into the exhaust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010

bolind posted:

I recently bought a tarp for the equivalent of one (1) US Dollar. That includes 25% VAT, profit, pay for the dude selling it to me, and it was made, sown, packaged, stuffed into a container, shipped from China to Europe and trucked the rest of the way. That's not really sustainable.

I really agree with this, I think the solutions to a lot of the resource problems in the future will come from the past. Ie making something that's robust and have people trained to fix them when they go wrong.

Chinese cars have made their way to Aus, Great Wall produce a series of utes and 4wd's for about 30% less than equivalent Toyota. I haven't read a review of them yet where the journalist hasn't gone into it without a "this will be crap" frame of mind though.

Speaking of cars you might actually buy, think there's any chance the BRZ/FT86/FR-S will make it onto the show, this might be the first new car I ever buy.

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010
Christ the filming on the FF segment was amazing.

I'm glad they tackled the FF review the way they did, I was almost a believer in the FF when I first heard about I almost believed the whole everyday Ferrari scenario they sold it as. Once you see that it's 2" wider than a Range Rover, not that great off road and really not much of GT car. I've always thought that their luxury coupe range were all pretty ugly anyway.

Also Fisker are up the creek financially
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/02/19/analyst-predicts-fiskers-demise-spokesman-says-thats-prematur/

Shame really, I kinda think the "range extended electric" is probably the best way forward at this time (though plenty of other people are doing better than them.

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010

Mighty Horse posted:

The FF's 4WD system just sounds like something people will rip out and drop a LS1 into in 10 years or so.

I was looking for a an analogy for this car for a while now and nothing sums it up better than that.

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010

Ak Gara posted:

Ferrari have forgotten what made the F40 great. When you drove an F40, it was YOU doing it, not you suggesting to a computer that you'd maybe like to change gear now if that's okay with the committee.

I don't think it can be done with todays high level of performance without being flatout dangerous. SSC and Henessey are both making ridiculous 1200 hp 1200 kg twin turbo V8's that can't be driven in any any form of anger on a public road, the thing kicks out at 250 kph+. Jerod Shelby says is next car will be developed at the Ring and I guarantee you they will total a car in the process.

All other automotive manufacturers realize this and make even their halo cars drivable by bankers, otherwise you simply get a reputation for making cars that kill CEO's.

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010

Cat Terrist posted:

And yet McLaren can do it with much less hp and then if you want to spend up grab a Veyron, that seems t be more than just a bit capable of restraining huge hp - Henessey and SSC are more about OMG look at my dick 1200 horsepowaaaaas! Lack of applied engineering nous and too much brute force.

Agree on the dick waving point from SSC & Henessey, but the Veyron has 4WD, weighs almost two and a half tonnes and has a host of traction/stability aids (air brakes etc). I assume on the Mclaren front you were talking about the F1 GTR, which was just crashed by Mr Bean a guy who has little bit of driving experience....

You won't see that from Porsche/Ferrari/Mclaren etc anymore, I mean look at the V8 atom, it's already gotten the moniker as "hard as hell to drive".

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010
I think the time away has done them a world of good, in that they've had time to come up with some genuinely funny and entertaining stories and haven't had to milk them to death.

Wasn't a moment in that show that was padded out.

Also what's Lewis doing back in the SIARPC, he hasn't done anything of note for the last 5 years. Get Alonso in there.

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010
Anything other than a Toyota 86 will be a huge let down.

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010
Has Tom Chilton always been in there? I only recognize the name now because of his brother being so terrible at F1.

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010
The amount of times I've driven around the pit in Iron Ore mines sites thinking "this would be an amazing rally stage", whilst having to obey the 40 kph speed limit.

Given the ridiculous OHS required at these sites, I'm staggered that the producers of the show got permission for that. I take it was a decommissioned pit as well, because no-one would stop production for a shift to allow a tv show to film.

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010

dissss posted:

Not on LHD cars but it does on RHD models.

The difference is the Japanese move the stalks to the correct side on their LHD models, whereas Euro manufacturers are too lazy to bother and leave them around the LHD way even on RHD cars.

The complicate things some 'Japanese' cars like the Euro Civic hatch are actually made in the UK so the RHD models have their stalks around the LHD (wrong) way

This, in aus my WRX has them on the right, but my dad's VW has them on the left both cars being RHD.

I've driven plent of LHD cars in europe and Africa, the gears is easy to get used to, indicators not so much.

The biggest for me is the spacial awareness, for the first hr of driving I'm usually in the middle of the road as you are used to placing the opposite side of the car to the driver to the curb (ie keep as far left on a RHD).

Then you're wired to try and keep left on a left hand drive and end up driving on the cats eyes.

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010

Tsuru posted:

Hammond's ascent perfectly captured my own personal suffering every time I'm made to go on a ferris wheel or some other "fun" contraption designed by civil engineers that has been welded together by the cheapest Romanian they could find and has been standing out in the rain for years and creaks and yawns when it moves and where I can't be sure how well it has been maintained and :emo:

"So dependent on things made by other people"

This is pretty much what I felt like going on a theme park ride in Malaysia, every creak has you doing fatigue calculations in your head.

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010

A Handed Missus posted:

They really need to get Jay Kay's Ferrari for the lap.

edit: lol they just explained why that can't happen

:(

His black enzo looked better.

Edit: Looking at it now the Enzo has dated terribly, it looks like it's 10 yrs older than the early 2000's model it is.

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010
Who owns the TG test track, I always thought a key ingredient in the show was having unlimited access to a track, not even Mclaren have their own track.

Having exclusive access pretty much means they can get any car as soon as it's available without having to scour the UK for some free track time (yes the clout helps as well).

Not sure what the deal with the American one was, but the Australian one was clearly a driver training facility with some cones put out.

Tracks are expensive as sin to build, can't ever imagine a start up show buying one, so they'd be renting it off someone, which will come with restrictions etc.

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010

keevo posted:

I thought it was funny at first but just kept going on and on. I am curious as to how they were able to get the Ferrari the Ferrari, the P1, and the Spyder on the same track and racing against each other. I thought none of the manufacturers would allow it?

Ferrari, in particular are very demanding when it comes to media on their cars. They famously "don't advertise" instead promote their brand via car shows/mags/website review their cars combined with the F1 team for media exposure. This has led to certain amounts of "gaming the system" when providing cars, Chris Harris writes about it very well here. http://jalopnik.com/5760248/how-ferrari-spins

So my guess.... They managed to get Ferrari to agree to provide a car on the proviso that it "will not lose a drag race". I found it very hard to believe that with launch control on all three, they couldn't produce repeatable results (but hell they made it look believable with the cars throwing themselves around).

The laptimes ..... poo poo, dunno. I know Porsche were up for a go anytime anywhere, Mclaren were keen as long as Ferrari didn't cheat, Ferrari were game if they could cheat. Really wasn't expecting them to be slower. Then again the closeness of it, might of meant that Ferrari agree to release the lap times (hence the delayed reveal).

I loved the show, it had it's misses but ultimately they captured the passion for cars that we all have perfectly in that opening sequence.

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010

HotCanadianChick posted:

If you pay attention to the dialogue when they are talking about driving the cars back to the hotel, they explicitly say the reason the Ferrari isn't registered for the road is because if the owner registered it to get plates, he'd have to pay the secondhand car tax; I'm pretty sure they got it from someone who was not the original owner, thereby bypassing Ferrari's threat to not allow anyone who provided a LaFerrari for comparison against the 918 and P1 from ever buying another Ferrari again. They can't do that if they don't know who the owner of the car they borrowed was.

So Ferrari didn't agree to poo poo, they just found one owned by someone who wasn't at risk of being blacklisted.

Yeh I was more referring to the show itself, giving the car a bum review. Don't TG GT have to keep Ferrari on their good side for the future of the show? Can't image they'd want to be in a position where they're blacklisted from taking out the next 488 or some-such ala Harris?

The show might have enough clout that the exposure is worth more than anything the team could say.

I mean, the only objectively bad supercar review I can remember TG giving in recent memory was the Zenvo (small volume, small company, no real repercussions for their future).

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010

wolrah posted:

Kinda.

All but three episodes had filmed the studio segments before the first one aired. Nashville filmed last week, giving them a few days after the first airing to make quick adjustments but not replan anything huge. Loch Ness and Dubai have yet to be filmed (this upcoming weekend and the following one). All the rest were done before we had more than trailers.

I was just thinking how that all worked, cool concept hosting the show in a different location every week but the workload it puts on the traveling crew. International flights, hotels, hire cars, meals all that jazz once a week for 3 months. Probably alright for the presenters flying business or first and has PA sorting all the paperwork and running about for them but as someone that has to do that sort of travel for work I can seriously see that getting old quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010

Ola posted:

Just don't go nuts.

As an engineer who has had to study this I find the whole discussion fastenating.