Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Really enjoyed that episode. iPlayer must be getting hammered though, when I tried to start watching it I had to reload about fifteen times before it would play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

neckbeard posted:

James, Richard, or Jeremy on Craig Ferguson would be even better.

Have any of the TG US guys been on The Late Late Show?
No, thank God.

I've watched a couple episodes of TGUSA on iplayer and while it wasn't as awful as I was expecting it really just feels like a low budget mediocre tribute to Real Top Fear Gear.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Wedesdo posted:

Did you know both James and Jeremy smoke?
I thought Jeremy said he quit years ago. Anyways that was pretty cool, thanks for finding it.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

drat Anti-Flatites :mad:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Data Graham posted:

So um, did anyone look at Hammond's hair before he stepped out into the studio? :pwn:

Between that and the blazer he looked proper schoolboy.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

echoplex posted:

I'm confused now - you're talking like everything that happened wasn't pre-arranged? You know the stuff they shot won't actually be part of the film? I'm sure you do... I'm just confused.

According to Wikipedia, Clarkson had some part in the film though, so it's not out of the question they'll use his bits. I think that was the idea all along, Clarkson gets to film an actual movie car chase and Hammond gets to faff about for our entertainment.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

allonblack posted:

If anyone else is interested, the watch that James May was wearing in the segment with Brian Johnson was an Omega Chrono-Quartz (Brian was wearing a ~15k Audemars Piguet ROO).

This was a great show overall. I loved the segment with Brian Johnson, that guy cracks me up with his accent "It really is a crackin' lookin jam jod isn't it? Look at the state of that".

Quite a high resolution tv you have there.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Colbert seems to stick to his Tag Heuer Monaco mostly.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Mr. Wiggles posted:

What an awesome episode. But wow Wales looks cold and awful.
It is. Also all those hills are soaking wet all the time. Beautiful through the pub window though.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Goddamn it Clarksons teeth let down the side.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Nm

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 26, 2012

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Girls not bad either yeah.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Jut posted:

No, they recycled the first segment from a Top Gear DVD and the SAAB was a low budget, quick and dirty tribute. I think they must be having real budget problems if they are rehashing old material.

Are we sure it was recycled? I can usually tell how old a Top Gear piece is by the fullness and colour of Jeremys hair, the colour of Mays or the stupidity of Hammonds, and I don't remember Jeremys hair look different from the first segment to the news.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

G-Dub posted:

I think that rally driver guy is The Stig. Previously Ben Collins appeared as himself while he was The Stig in a race against a mountain boarder. The thing that race had in common with the race against the jet man is the car lost and I don't think they would want to show The Stig losing.

So what, it was staged and Collins was supposed to lose?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Top Gears Facebook feed has just informed me there's a faster Veyron coming out called the "Bugatti Veyron GS Vitesse". This is getting silly. Some French bloke going "We've managed to give it five more horsepower, I call it The Bugatti Veyron GS Vitesse Ultrasport HD+".

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

How tall is Hammond anyway, about 5'7?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

CornHolio posted:

I know the Mercedes was off the road, but I thought they went over the 850 with a fine tooth Chinn and couldn't find hardly anything wrong with it?
I thought the 850 was only using half its cylinders or something and that's why it was so slow? And also one of them was full of boogers and the other one full of cocaine and lady fluids?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

As Nero Danced posted:

The 850 was fine mechanically. It was the Mercedes that tossed the ignition coil and lost half the engine. They never revisited it though to see how the 850 held up (at least not that I remember).
It tossed the ignition coil after the episode was made when they discussed how the cars were holding up later. I could have sworn that during the episode the 850 was absurdly slow in a drag race against the Mercedes?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Plankalkuel posted:

They measured the escaped horses and the 850 had about 260HP by the time if the race (down from 296) while the Merc had 350HP (from 360).

Oh. I wonder what episode I was confusing it with.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Any episode where they cock about with old cars is the best episode.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Preoptopus posted:

Looking back at the first seasons of UK New Top Gear, they were forced and awkward a lot of the time. And although the cars were really cool, it was still not organized properly. I think the same thing is happening in the US Top Gear. The presenters have had a good opportunity to learn to work with one another enough that the show is getting a certain momentum and personality. I thought episode was great but agree that perhaps over edited.

I agree. The issue is they started the show during the peak of TGUK and the audience is largely made up of fans of the original who are expecting the same level of entertainment from the get-go. TGUK was awful for the first few series.

The extra restrictions of being an American TV show beholden to advertisers certainly isn't helping though.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

No one wants to load up an action movie and a bad guy is being chased in a boring Peugot.
Depends if the chase is in a Smokey and the Bandit flick or a Bourne/Ronin one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

And Shell gas is what makes Ferrari's so fast!