Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

christ is that guy illiterate?

Probably not:

http://transmission.blogs.topgear.com/2011/12/28/top-gear-in-india-post-show-discussion posted:

EDITOR’S MESSAGE: Just to be clear, the comment posted below in the discussion from an account called “Andy Wilman” was a fake and has been deleted. The comment was not from Andy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

echoplex posted:

I would imagine if it's a big star touring/promoting something, it's paid-for (or used by the BBC for free advertising if promoting it's own show). It may help the episode-to-episode budget, but TG as a brand pulls in so much £ I never really believe the "we have no money" protestations from Willson and Clarkson. When it's a normal, TV-level british celeb/comedian, I think it's alright, really - works with the show's 'blokey' roots. Getting Hollywood A-listers and Wil.i.am is a bit mind boggling though.

The bad part for me is Clarkson fawning over the guests and asking about their family lives or whatever it is they talk about, I always skip the talking and go to the lap (on iplayer). Having a Celeb talk about cars they've owned and going straight to the lap wouldn't be too bad, and then a mention of "And William has a new book about car design in all good bookstores".

Although I thought the car was pretty hideous the fact that William is trying to do some good with his money makes him one of the few decent famous people I'm aware of. I know people are lambasting it for being a Delorean with a body kit, but that was just a prototyping shortcut right; surely he can't hope to have company convert the 4 remaining Deloreans into whatever that was.

When you say Willson, you don't mean... Quentin Willson do you? I thought he'd gone to Fifth Gear years ago?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

sigtrap posted:

What are you even basing any of this on?

It is absolutely not about "exploring class differences" and the reasons it doesn't work in America are many and have nothing to do with class.

What doesn't work in America, Top Gear, or do you mean the dynamic of Top Gear USA?
I'd be interested in hearing some of the stuff that doesn't work too.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

InitialDave posted:

The BBC used to stand for something. This never would have happened when Noel Edmonds presented Top Gear!

I can never reconcile my feelings about Noel Edmonds, he did house party which I enjoyed as a kid but now he does that loving awful Deal or No Deal. So some good stuff in the past, and a programme which I cannot stand so for a long time I thought he was a complete twat.

Until I remembered something I read about him, if he has guests over at his house, either for a house party or whatever, he sometimes excuses himself only to slip on the Mr Blobby outfit and come charging through a room full of guests.
I think that almost makes him cool.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Pan-American Highway :colbert:

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Cakefool posted:

Heated seats however,

You just reminded me of that heated seat game clip. My parents used to own a nightmare ford mondeo, the heated seat switch was on the base of the seat next to the door, so it was very easy to accidentally turn it on as you got in. I got a burnt arse nearly everytime I rode up front.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
With the taxi segment I wanted the typical do-various-challenges thing to happen, so I would actually know what the best taxi is.

My imagined challenges would be something like:
How many drunk passengers can you drive around/How easy is it to hose out the vomit.
Can someone in a wheelchair get in/out ok.
Performance on one of those ralycross type tracks
Fuel economy.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

After watching Extra Gear what I've come away with is that Evans is absolutely the worst. Does he have proof on who knew about Jimmy Savile and when they knew it? And does he use this as blackmail to stay on the air?

Probably, there are rumours that he indecently exposes himself to other BBC employees, so travels in same circles I expect.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Is Hammond getting smaller?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I realised I'd missed some of the prince andrew jokes and watched it a second time to enjoy them.