Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
There was definitely some intentional bad. I don't want to ever hear Top Gear Band ever again.

The banner thing was blatantly staged, though I still cracked up. Didn't forgive them spending so much time on a train. What's Top Gear doing taking a train?

Someone only got left behind once, and the cars didn't have much any troubles until Jeremy and May intentionally broke theirs, unnecessarily so (Hammond had no trouble later on without a raised suspension.) It didn't go nearly catastrophically wrong enough.

I liked the highway segment, though I can sorta see why they didn't do it throughout the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Sweevo posted:

The garden party boring as hell and far too long.
I thought that too, and then I looked back and saw that it was only 10 minutes long. It felt so much longer.

£7k is three times what my (perfectly functional, though not great) car cost. Way too much money unless they're buying secondhand supercars.

I want them to try and do the Magadan-Anadyr route, or even all the way to Uelen (the part of Russia Palin can see), since there's not really much of a road between the two. They'd have to take a barge for a significant portion, but there'd be plenty enough driving on horrible roads and/or non-roads. Unfortunately they're all too old at this point, and I expect the next special will be "Top Gear drives to the shops to pick up their medication" or somesuch.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^
Africa and Polar were the best specials, no doubt.

You know, the more we talk about this, the more it makes sense. Another benefit would be that they seem to genuinely hate soviet cars, so seeing them stuck in some commie death traps for several days would be perfect. They might even come out liking their cars, teaching us the important lesson that it's possible to love even objectively terrible cars, as long as they have some character and you do something interesting in them.

Топ Гир представляет Ричарда Гаммонда и его друга "Оливар!"

Sadly, I know of no good Russian equivalent of "Oliver."

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Only SIARPC I remember are Seasick Steve and that guy Jeremy hit on.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Sedgr posted:

I'd really like to see a cheap car challenge episode sometime where they are all forced to buy $1000 VW Beetles and do something with them.

I assume it'd be a lot like any of the caravan episodes.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

sbaldrick posted:

This is a moment that at least to me comes off as scripted. If there is one place in the US that knows everyone in Top Gear, it's a NASCAR event.

Maybe they were disappointed they didn't get Jeremy; I assume "yobbo" aligns pretty well with the stereotype of NASCAR fans.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Nonsense, those are just the instructions from the Chinese government on what they can't say. You can't script things like those banners ripping in the India special.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

quote:

Jaguar--how it's spelt.

Spelt?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

It's nowhere near the TGUK lorry challenge though. If nothing else, Jeremy's fire was much more impressive.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

ZippySLC posted:

At what point in time do you stop watching?

He only watches the parts that only include James May, a la https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QypmXbwD1k

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

mod sassinator posted:

I agree--this season so far is good but doesn't have the magic of 3-4 years ago. Driving sports cars around Italy? Racing mobile scooters offroad? Yawn. Let's see them launch a car as a space shuttle or travel across America nearly getting killed again.
How banned from America are they now, anyway?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

I would much rather they review an interesting cheaper car than another boring maseredeserarrighinimw.

More Renault Twingo and Ford Fiesta reviews plox.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

neckbeard posted:

Instead of those terrible Top Gear related DVDs they put out around Christmas time they really need to put out a "James May checks out someone's amazing spanner collection" special instead.

Fixed that for you.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Data Graham posted:

The trouble with the TGUS hosts is that I can never in a million years convince myself that these three guys would ever hang out together if they weren't being paid.

If James May were not paid to go outside, he would just sit in his house and arrange things.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

I was quite disappointed. Western USA road trip and they don't drive CA-1? Why?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Slo-Tek posted:

Probably because they would need to block it off for half the day for film crews and whatnot. It is one thing to grab a scrap of the Blue Ridge, or some desert highway, another entirely to say "gently caress you, drive the 5", in terms of how the CA DOT feels about it.

Idunno, at least the northern section was pretty deserted when I drove it in the middle of the summer, and still quite beatiful and curvy and, special bonus for Top Gear, rated at 55mph basically the entire way! I did learn quickly that you can't drive that fast on much of it in a Sentra though. Grabbing some of it for half a day near Fort Bragg should have certainly been possible.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

McDragon posted:

James May's surprise collapsible bike was excellent.

For a second I thought it was a unicycle, which would have been a riot.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

b0nes posted:

I wish I knew where to meet these girls. Also Clarkson grinning was creepy.

Might I suggest Scotland?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

beedeebee posted:

:psypop: that's actually a thing? I thought Top Gear just invented that because it's hilarious. I was laughing at the concept of an eel and sodium salesman, but it actually exists. Crazy.

I'm still not entirely convinced that the British users are secretly colluding to play an elaborate joke on us all.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

captainOrbital posted:

My kids were giggling throughout that whole thing. I think Top Gear US is more kid-friendly as it's sillier and a bit less...subtle?

What, do they just scream "BIG FAT COCKS" instead of "gentleman sausage"?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Daric posted:

I've only just begun watching this show but so far I've watched the western U.S. road trip and the Africa special (and the part where he drove the Toyota GT86 because I'm about to buy one). I'm really enjoying it. All of the hosts are hilarious and the jokes they play on each other are great. Should I start the show from the very beginning or are there certain episodes I should really watch (I see a lot of people mentioning Vietnam)?

The earliest episodes aren't as great (and the very earliest don't have May), but the middle series are definitely great all around. Check out the Wikipedia episode/challenge listings. Anything with cheap cars or Reliant Robins is usually excellent.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Top Gear The Long Way Round.

Featuring a reprise of the bikes from the Vietnam Special. Also crossing from Russia to America with the Toyboata.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

GutBomb posted:

It's really only about 6 distinct regions. Southwest, Pacific northwest, absolutely nothing, Midwest, the south, and the northeast.they've done the south, southwest, and northeast. "Absolutely nothing" holds no excitement beyond mt Rushmore (would be funny as an American to see that), the Midwest has nothing to offer.that just leaves the Pacific northwest and while it's nice, there are plenty of more exciting places to go where the windy country roads don't have a 35mph speed limit.

Yes. There is absolutely nothing interesting in the Rockies, and Arizona/New Mexico/etc. are identical to Southern California. drat yuropoor elitists.

Wait, what am I complaining about, I watch a show starring Jeremy Clarkson.

Lord Tywin posted:

Something in Russia would be cool, maybe a race between Moscow and Vladivostok with Richard and Jeremy driving while James take the trans Siberian railway.

Proper Russia challenge: try to drive around Moscow during rush hour and see who abandons their car and starts walking first.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

404GoonNotFound posted:

Look, I know we have our problems with the hosts but that doesn't mean we want at least 2/3 of them dead.

Oh there's no harm. None of the other cars will be moving either.

I may be getting ahead of myself though:

@MrJamesMay 22m posted:

Just been mistaken for Clarkson in Moscow. My work has been in vain.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

G-Mach posted:

They have won awards for non-scripted tv after all!

And Princeton Law School is very highly regarded. What's your point?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

G-Mach posted:

It's a joke.

Oh, I never would have known.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

neckbeard posted:

a coast to coast drive would be awesome, but it's like 6000Km so not too practical and the guys would kill themselves in the winter. Maybe a US/Canada "gold rush" race? San Fransisco, California up to Dawson, Yukon would be epic

If they can get the CA government to shut down CA-1 so they can run supercars up it at 90mph, yes.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

It's an amazingly beautiful, curvy road, but I really doubt they can secure permission to go over the limit (usually 55mph), if they can get permission to go up it all.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Taerkar posted:

Hamster doesn't work well by himself.

May is glorious. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QypmXbwD1k Indeed.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygrBVzLKNDY&hd=1

Hammond is pretty accurate.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Oh God what.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Hey Fifth Gear's still on, right?

Never watched it but apparently it does exist. Somewhere.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Since Hammond and May are leaving also, I'm looking forward to the new Top Gear featuring only the Stig.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Flint Ironstag posted:

But the real issue, which I haven't seen brought up, is this. What will happen to poor Stiggy? Some say he will be stripped down for spare parts, and that the rest will end up in the warehouse from the Indiana Jones movies. All we know, is that he is unemployed.

Like the BBC has said, Top Gear will go on. They're not going to hire new presenters, so it's just Stig left. You'll have The News presented silently by the Stig, who will then do a lap in a car, followed by a silent SIARPC interview, and then a challenge which will consist of the Stig silently accepting an envelope before tooling around in some car while playing royalty-free music.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z3Q3OzIJRY

Richard Hammond's unemployment tube: lots of sheep.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

bull3964 posted:

I remember a news article I read about an all day speeding sting they did on 79 south. that section is either 55 or 65 depending on where you are. They didn't bother pulling anyone over going under 80 mph.

Pretty much all the highways around Chicago are marked 55mph, IIRC. I have no idea what they actually enforce beyond "don't actually kill anyone."

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

How the gently caress do you even trademark catchphrases.

The BBC can burn in hell if it thinks preventing James May from saying "What a pillock" on air is somehow critical to preserving the integrity of new new Top Gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

I got to the council meeting episode. While I'm sure this show is edited to show Clarkson in the best possible light, that was a bunch of bullshit. The cafe is a great idea, his plan for the building basically showcases the AONB for the patrons, and it supports and is supported by local farmers. Blocking that was dumb as poo poo. Those council members are idiots. I can definitely see how British people can easily get upset over the stupidity of their government. A lot of issues he has that his fellow farmers are complaining about seem like things he could lead up a movement to change.

i figure there's maybe a bit of creative editing, and it's unclear why the ad hoc coop didn't present their case as a whole. having present local long time farmer support would, i expect, have helped what definitely seemed a bit the council rejecting poo poo out of spite for clarkson clarksoning in and using his fortunes to build without meaningful financial concerns

however i live near san francisco and can definitely sympathize with people running into idiotic busybody local government planning people who seem hell bent on opposing anything in a nearsighted attempt to preserve wherever they live in amber, exactly as it was right after they moved in