Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Yeah, that was pretty weak. Skipped the train and dinner party bits. Beyond that the challenges, well, weren't, really.

Still, they need to do Australia in utes. Would love to see their reactions when they turn up to a B&S ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Data Graham posted:

They kept climbing and climbing into the mountains and I was thinking, "Okay, so what could their final destination be? Are they going to try to drive back down to the flatland now that their cars are destroyed? Or are they going to kick them off a cliff into Pakistani Kashmir and laugh?"

Neither, turns out. Though I don't know if any option ahead of them would have been particularly funny.

I was hoping the flag that Hammond was going to get painted on his Mini was the Pakistani one.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

MrChips posted:

I don't think you understand the mentality of India very well. Doing that would literally get them torn to pieces by an angry mob, depending on where they are.

Considering they did the gay love thing in the US and trying to sneak through Syria, I was surprised they didn't raise the stakes here.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

KozmoNaut posted:

gently caress the special, I just bought my ticket to the greatest show on Earth :)

I'm all giddy with excitement!

I went to the Live show in Australia. It was a mixture of cool stunts and advertising from Shell.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

BobTheFerret posted:

Jeremy really needs to tone down his politics a bit on the show - the occasional comment about poor folks can be amusing (it would be funnier if he didn't seem to genuinely think that the rich are Better than the poor), but at this point "right wing rear end in a top hat" is his entire persona.

To wit, the last line of that Guardian article: <quote from QI>
Ah yes, the infamous quote he said on QI about the striking workers. The thing is most of the media totally cut the poo poo out of that monologue and only went with that line. The setup for that comment was "The BBC has to be impartial (to keep the right wing politicians and Rupert Murdoch happy cos they think the BBC is a lefty organisation) so here is the view from the opposite side of the fence"

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Man that McLaren sounded great in the tunnel. Very much like a current F1 car. I agree it was a great episode except for Will.I.Am. Hopefully this series will keep going the same way.

I will love the tears from BMW owners when they show the episode with the BMW E30 being dropped on its roof :smug:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Cat Terrist posted:

Car chase story loving sucked. Worst episode in a long time.
Agreed, was hoping this season would be good after the quality of the first episode, but it has gone downhill big time with the poo poo movie car chase segment.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That was a really enjoyable episode, the Fisker was an interesting car, the Ferrari/Bentley ice race was very well filmed and edited and the mobility cart race wasn't too stupid or arseholish.

A billion times better than last week's episode.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

VolumeOverTalent posted:

The strobing lights on the slow-mo FF was awesome, reminded me of the strobes that a lot of drift cars have - completely pointless, but just look cool.
That's due to the LED daylight running lights which always strobe/pulse when filmed.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ola posted:

It weighs less overall and allows the engine to sit lower in the chassis. I don't think people are jizzing over it...both Clarkson and the posters in this thread feel it's a bit of a miss.
Considering how over-complicated it is, I would hate to see the bills if that front diff goes in it

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

CornHolio posted:

Not all of us have seen the DVDs. I was thrilled to see the Brutus.

Besides, there's seven episodes this season instead of six, so if a byproduct of that is a couple of recycled parts, I'm perfectly fine with that.

I agree. I haven't seen the latest Clarkson special, and i don't think you can get the DVDs of it in Australia. I just love the backfire Brutus does with each gear change

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Jut posted:

A better episode, at least no recycled DVD material this time, although two Clarkson chat sessions. grrr.

This season was one of the weakest in recent times though, from the piss poor India special to the 20 min advert for The Sweeney.
I hope they return to form next season.

You negative Nancy.

I think this was one of the better seasons, but I agree with you on the Sweeney bit, that should've been cut, burnt and fed to that director.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Mighty Horse posted:

Eh, one less 1st Gen mustang. Its not like it was a Shelby or anything special.

I was feeling sad for the early 928 that copped it :(

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Driving through London during the middle of the Olympics, dodging SAM sites :)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Dr JonboyG posted:

IIRC it means the show counts as a certain kind of light entertainment programme for the BBC budget.

It was the same reason why The Young Ones used to have a musical act during the show, it meant that it got recategorised as a light entertainment show, rather than comedy, and got more funding that way.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

kylej posted:

No way. Clarkson will want the Viper. He fell in love with the ZR1 in the previous American special. The Viper is a car synonymous with simple, brute force power. Clarkson laps that stuff up.
One of Clarkson's latest car reviews that he does for newspapers he mentions how much he has fallen in love with the Lexus LFA.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That was a pretty good episode. Loved the Bentley rallying segment, really well done.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Logikv9 posted:

I don't know why anyone didn't single out the Dragon's Den section of the P45 segment. It's unbelievably hilarious because it's shot and structured exactly how a reality show would be, a nice change of pace from the rest of this awesome segment.

"words"
"I'm sorry I can't understand a single word you're saying"

Jeremy has now insulted Duncan, and he too is out.

I don't think Dragon's Den is shown in the US, and I have only seen a couple of episodes of it on Australian TV, or something similar to it.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

mod sassinator posted:

I'm surprised they aren't having Hammond review the GT500. Maybe they're afraid it would just be 20 minutes of him squealing like a school girl.

He's stuck in Mexico, how could he? :ssh:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Linedance posted:

he probably would have won if he'd taken the Eurotunnel. Honestly, who takes the stupid ferry when the tunnel gets you across in 35 minutes?
Because then he'd be on a train, making the race invalid :colbert:

The Stang looks great, and sure it copped a bit due to its NVH compared to other Euro/Japanese. Clarkson slammed the Falcon GT in a newspaper article for the same reason, even throwing in "it can't corner" which is something the Aussie built muscles cars could do compare to US models.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

mod sassinator posted:

Pilot crashed the copter trying to get a good look at the beautiful ZR1 'vette that just smoked it. :smug:

Or got blinded by the sun reflecting off the cheap shiny plastic dashboard :v:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That was an enjoyable episode of TG. Interesting to see Clarkson getting stuck into the Focus ST, considering his love for Ford and his love for the previous model ST (aka The ASBO). Also surprising to see the ST get off the line quicker, considering it is heavier than both the Renault and Vaxuhall, and less power.

The rugby segment was good, and I don't think it outran its length.

I agree with the comments about Hamilton looking a lot happier and less stressed compared to all the advertising stuff he had to do with McLaren.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

parrhesia posted:

Man, the French are always classy. The Seat Ibiza just has a chilled compartment for a box of wine and a big bottle of Coke. :saddowns:
Seat is Spanish

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

You lot need to learn proper English :colbert:

When I heard they were going to be driving NZ, I was excited.

When I saw them doing the North Island, I was sad. Seriously, the roads on the South Island are amazing. Like Swiss/Austrian Alps amazing. Of course Jeremy going nuts on one of those roads with his Toyota as he did on the North roads, it would've ended up with a funeral.

Otherwise it was a relatively dull TG episode. The Fiesta ST has my interest though. I read Jeremy's review of it in a newspaper and it sounded great.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Another ok episode. I agree with the criticism about Hammond and May's segments. They have been done before and is starting to feel the same. Clarkson's review of the F12 more than made up for those two segments. The F12 is probably the first Ferrari for a long time where I like the look of it (and the LaFerrari)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

gently caress driving in America, they have already done that three times.

Time to drive across Australia, east to west, through the middle. That will sort out the boys from the men.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That was a good episode. The best so far this season. Love the McLaren :)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That was a pretty fun episode, the best one so far. Love the SLS segment, Hugh Jackman was great and the HoverVan was great. Loved the pissed off look on the restaurateurs as they got sprayed.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That was a great episode. The looks on Clarkson and May's faces after the night in the car park was priceless, so was their responses to the comment "you are both idiots". I thought James was going to wet himself when he was watching the destruction of Clarkson's caravan.

The Lambo was completely insane, I love how it has no front firewall from what I could see, so you could see the suspension moving around. The Singer 911, well, if I ever won Tattslotto I'd get one.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ak Gara posted:

When he said people don't want a new Porsche that's old, they want an old Porsche that's new, I thought Singer? SINGER!? IT IS! God that's clearly one of the best Porsche's ever.

The firewall is probably somewhere in the middle if it's a mid engine layout.

I meant the front firewall

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

pik_d posted:

Is France really the only country that doesn't watch any British made motoring shows? It seems really weird that they wouldn't but the rest of the segment was pretty serious so I'm not sure if it was a joke or not.

It was a joke because of the "bad blood" between the Brits and French that's been around for centuries.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

It was a fairly plain episode. Would've been better if they gave the hot hatches two segments instead of three, and had some crazy supercar with POWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRR for the last segment.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

It's Captain Slow not Mr Slowly :mad:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

A great episode. Love the steam coming off the P1's exhaust. Looks like a pure nutter car.

I don't think people here get Alfas - they are always badly built, but with passion. It'll fall apart, but you'll love the exhaust note even if it is spewing exhaust into the interior.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

After watching this week's episode I really want a Focus three cylinder. However I don't think they are released in Australia yet.

Pretty good episode, but I wish it would stop raining in England for two seconds so they can get some dry laps in this season.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

It's a lot of money for a slow car. Would much prefer a renaultsport Clio.

If you're shopping for a RenaultSport Clio, you'd use the Fiesta ST as a comparable car, not the 3 cylinder.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I found the bike PSA to drag on a bit too long, however the PSAs that came out of it were good.

I wonder how long it will be till backyard car modifiers try to do the head high exhausts thing on their buckets of poo poo.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

And a Morris Marina

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I really enjoyed that episode, loved the condition the trucks are in, and the modifications to the trucks which weren't completely stupid unlike some of the other challenges.

I think a good challenge for the TG boys would be going from east to west through the dead centre of Australia. It was first done by a group of BMC (British Motor Corporation) rally drivers in the mid 1960s in a Mini 850 and an Austin 1800. Gavin Green, son of Evan Green (who was one of the members of the original crossing) and former editor of CAR UK did a drive in 2009 following his dad's wheel tracks:

http://motoring.ninemsn.com.au/cars/wheels/news/2009/10/in-the-name-of-the-farther/

I reckon the TG boys in either 1960s cars or modern non-SUV cars could give it a go ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That was a good two parter. Very enjoyable and loved the scenery