Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

G-Mach posted:

When Chris Harris made some bad comments towards Ferrari he got essentially blackballed from Ferrari press cars and could only find privately owned cars to do reviews in.

I thought he was banned from the Ferrari test track for reasons unknown.

Powershift posted:

James may is doing a car thing that's not top gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVV_1fMRJiE

Woohoo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

drunkill posted:

The first and second episodes were great, the third one was pretty lovely and then quickly wrapped up in 3 minutes, no real story of the episode like the others, just a bunch of cars James wanted to hsow off.

Yeah, the last episode became a bit of a love letter from James to cars. Plus hammering on about the Golf. I know the Top Gear lads and most Euros love them, but I can not think of a less reliable car in its class than it.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Viggen posted:

Wait.. he has a pilots' license, and he is afraid of heights? :what:
I'm afraid of heights (I can't even get on the roof of my house without wobbling like a drunk) but love flying

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Fo3 posted:

Just watched it.
What the hell is the point of a 6 series that's a 4 door? I thought the whole point of the 6 was they introduec it to replace 5 series coupes?
Legendary BMW way of doing things I guess. Probably an options list a A4 sheet long and prices to match. Must be hard to push away the ming mole at their dealers.

Ep was OK, but kind of boring for an Aussie. Boring to look at your own country but I like the top gear eps in other continents that I haven't seen so it's obviously a personal critique. I was more interested when roadkill came down here though to be honest.

The four door 6 Series is supposed to compete against the Mercedes CLS/Audi A7.

I disagree with your comments about it being boring for an Aussie, I loving loved it. Especially the dust wakes the GT-R was kicking up while doing the race around the mine. The Outback, especially just after the wet season, has some lovely areas.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Easy Mac posted:

Could have done without the star in a car. Good episode though.

I think they have to have that segment because of the strange ways the BBC budgets programs.

For example, the 80s show "The Young Ones" was known as a light entertainment show, not a comedy. Why? Because they had a band playing in each episode. Doing that meant Ben Elton got more money for the show rather than it being a comedy. It is probably the same case with Top Gear, if they have the interview segment in the show, they get a bigger budget.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

It was an alright episode, but could not stop laughing at the cannon launcher for Hammond's patient at the end

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

sean10mm posted:

So it looks like they're reviewing the new Corvette this series if Wikipedia is to be believed.

Brace for:

"Fat bloke from Kentucky"
"Same plastic they make their news readers out of"
LOL PUSHRODS
LOL LEAF SPRINGS
"But you can't drive it in Britain because (reasons)"

Then again Clarkson really liked the ZR-1 (until he sort-of recanted later) so who knows. :iiam:

Seeing all you US goons getting upset about the firetrucks and now Corvettes is well worth the trolling Top Gear does :D

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

angryhampster posted:

Jay Kay was who I thought of when Clarkson said "I have a friend with a Laferrari."
Either Jay Kay or Nick Mason

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Spiffness posted:

I wish we could get an update on the 7 series and S-class they bought for cheap a few seasons ago.

I know what the update is... but I want to hear them say it.

And the Mini of Paddy Hopkirk's that they were going to rebuild

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Powershift posted:

But then how would we hear the cars :(

Imagine Blessed's voice echoing around the Top Gear shed. Ears would be bleeding

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

DoombatINC posted:

My thoughts and prayers have been with the Toyota Tacoma during these difficult times :ohdear:

Toyota Hilux you heathen

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Honestly I find Chris Harris super loving dry and boring. I'm not sure why.

Watch the video of him driving a Jaguar XK120 in the Mille Miglia and get back to me.

I like Harris, but can't see him doing a show where he is co-hosting with someone else. I rather he sticks to his solo videos

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

8ender posted:

That makes me sad because Phillip Glenister is too rad a dude to be taken down by a terrible Top Gear

It could never happen but Glenister, May and Hammond might have actually worked.

I don't mind Glenister in the Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes as well as For Love of Cars, but I fear he is being wasted here.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Enourmo posted:

"...the first turbocharged, mid-engined, V8 Ferrari."

:confused:
It's sad that people forget the 288GTO

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Well that ends an era. I liked the small touches to the segments, like the Fiat badge changed to "FAT", the cars being in barns, the hacksaw job on the Frontera and the graphics on May's Pajero

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Mister Kingdom posted:

Dropping every remaining available Morris Marina from a C-130 ONTO a La Ferrari.

Which then gets t-boned by a Ferrari 250GTO

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

HolyDukeNukem posted:

My suspicion was that Amazon offered to be more hands off. In the interview with Andy Wilman he specifically mentioned that they wanted to work with a company that wasn't going to interfere with the process. I'm guessing Netflix wanted to push certain things and they were uncomfortable with those sorts of stipulations.

Of course things could blow up in Amazon's face with the hands off agreement.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

mobby_6kl posted:

He's very wrong, you justs need the right driver: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QsZhME3-uY

Or vintage Dick Johnson when the commentators were able to talk to the drivers while they were racing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aZN8VB59_E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ds4PU_PweU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That said, Mike Raymond, the commentator who usually spoke to Johnson was a great bloke and had the same dry sense of humour as him. The only other person who would be able to pull that off was the late great Barry Sheene.

Sadly these days the commentators for the V8s are crap and there is no more in car conversations with the drivers

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Riven posted:

Because Eddie Van Halen would have been justified in punching someone if he had found a brown M&M.

I think it was more of David Lee Roth's idea on that contract rider

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Cojawfee posted:

Wouldn't his F1 thing and Top Gear conflict at some point?

BBC no longer shows the F1, so I guess he has some free time up his sleeve these days

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

captainOrbital posted:

Man, don't nobody give no fig about the southern hemisphere.

Autumn means proper autumn, not some fake eucalyptus-eating elevator operator autumn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XNr-BQgpd0

:australia:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

It will be interesting to see how things go between TG and GT

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

sean10mm posted:

Amazon pays in US dollars, I assume. :homebrew::getin:

Funny how even cartoon character Jeremy Clarkson's reaction to Brexit happening seems to be :wtc:

You'll have visa and travelling paperwork hell now, doesn't matter where the money is coming from

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Cojawfee posted:

A new logo.

I preferred the name being written on the silver duct tape.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Two Finger posted:

you take that back

gary oldman at least made them look good

Sorry, there is only one George Smiley, and he is Alec Guinness

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Cojawfee posted:

I think Derek Flint is my favorite Not-Bond.

Bernard Samson is mine. With George Smiley coming second.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

DumbparameciuM posted:

Direct link to the Amazon mailing list here, in case you live somewhere else like HoldenFan3000 and myself

Dunno about signing up to another email list. Hopefully they announce something on Facebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Sad to see Edd leave, but Ant is a very professional car restorer.