Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Bajaha posted:

Having driven on grass with performance tires, yeah, they're slippery as poo poo on anything not-tarmac or gravel, and on gravel they're not ideal. That part I believed.

The computer throwing a fit, I'm not sure on. Doesn't look like they damaged anything on them since they continued on to the next challenge, overheating something in the gearbox maybe?

I wouldn't be surprised if the limited performance mode is due to an e-diff or something like that(which will cook the brakes/integrated clutch pack when hooning offroad esp when using tarmac tires).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
The new Clarkson show hopefully is not going to be a dumpster fire like the hamster one

https://youtu.be/USzFmRbRQGQ

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
The thing with random water in bottles is perplexing, selling unfiltered water even in a podunk shop would have you sent to jail here.

Clarkson is having the time of his life, in his other specials you can see the facade while here he looks genuinely happy.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Xelkelvos posted:

I think the only way it'd be more enjoyable is if Hammond or May was there as a foil instead of Kaleb. Like I could imagine May going "you pillock!" Every time he fucks something up

I’m fairly confident May and Hammond stuck a whole year with Clarkson would end up with casualties with the increased risk due to access to agricultural equipment to maim each other with. You could see that in the last specials that weren’t random fun times in places where there are fancy hotels, they would getting quickly pissed at each other, they are old and much easy to get their tempers hot.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Well in other “there is too much nanny state but I need the state payouts” news, Clarkson is having a press run with every farm outlets. This is farmers weekly

https://youtu.be/feivyZ7xQmQ

Where he tell us about frustration with paperwork and doomer thoughts about less state payouts

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
A good chunk of non Hollywood features on prime video are machine subbed/translated, weirdly enough a lot of their spotlighted tv works receive the same treatment and provide impromptu comedy.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
There is a longer trailer on YouTube

https://youtu.be/eU2qTumPxf0

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Cojawfee posted:

Do they seriously just use a big clamp to put a trailer hitch on cars in Europe? Even Uhaul in the US will weld a trailer hitch on your car.

Every country on earth beside North America uses ISO 1103:2007 for trailers, either in ball or swan neck form. Swan neck is used for heavier/bigger cargo.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Riven posted:

I mean they’re all wealthy and he loves muscle cars so I’m sure he has one from all three manufacturers.

On that topic, one of the last silverstone auctions was a lot of Hammond's cars since he is going to do a wheeler dealer clone and needs cash to finance it. He sold mostly European cars and motorcycles, here is the video, Hammond's cars start at 1:13.

https://youtu.be/RjjxvCiWqOo

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I think this one was far better than the last two since the stunts were less weird, also the subs joke during the car race was a nice self aware one

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Drakkel posted:

The weirdest part of the special to me was using the Aventine as an example of a weird/stupid French car when they had a whole segment on Top Gear in 2008 about how much all three of them like it

Nobody sane of mind can say good words about the velsatis or avantime

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
New james may series trailer

https://youtu.be/aSUfeCeyVz0

the english breakfast pizza will haunt me forever

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Chris Knight posted:

What's BIM in Italian?

No idea, never saw those personal guide on a player dealio outside of a select few museums let alone a cute robot variant.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Latest James May is out, seems fun but, since I'm Italian, hearing mangled Italian from James makes me cringe every now and then. Give it a shot.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Another point of contention is that several noteworthy places got skipped, for instance my region in the north east was ignored in the last episode while those Tyrol fucks, which will stab you if you call them Italian, got a whole segment. I think it was done on an excessively tiny budget(after all they couldn't pay the Rome permits) which cut the amount of episodes(and places). It could used a couple more.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 15, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Chris Knight posted:

I think episode 3 (so far) has James more in his element doing Jamesy things. As he even says, the show is a conflict between him wanting to do stuff he likes, and the producer/director wanting to do things that put him in silly clothing, to possibly appeal to the mainstream audience, I assume?

I doubt Joe Schmo is gonna watch these shows without knowing who James is.

But like with Our Man In Japan, there's too many places to go and not enough episodes to go around.

I think that something more like his wine tasting trips with Oz peppered with cool(for james standards) excursions would fare better than this top gear lite experience.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 19, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

pik_d posted:

I've only watched the first two episodes of James in Italy but it seems like he's moving quite fast through the country? Gotta agree that more money/episodes would have been cool

The areas covered by the first two episodes would have required twice the time to properly explore(southern italy is not very densely populated), the areas covered by the remaining episodes should have took thrice the running time. It's like doing a US coast to coast program and just going SF, LA, Chigago, Detroit and New York.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Der Kyhe posted:

But yeah, why on earth they decided to do that with studded snow tires, and not wear helmet?

I guess it would break continuity on the theoretical "three guys just driving around" skit. Which nobody sane of mind believes.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
If my memory isn't more compromised than usual, their shop opening during the Clarkson farm series caused immense pileups so I'm expecting a lot of hate from the town HOA towards any kind of expansions.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Der Kyhe posted:

Clarkson's farm Season 2 finally has a release date and it is 10.2.2023:

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/reality-tv/a42189382/clarksons-farm-season-2-air-date/

Don't the CHM traditionally release at least some special or new episode around Christmas? Or did the actual nu-Top Gear releasing a longer special? The newest trio is rather watchable but I didn't find anything from anyone this year.

I think Amazon(May and Clarkson) and Discovery(Hammond) will lock them in their spinoff series, from the limited info I managed to gather the French special didn't do good views compared to the previous ones.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Der Kyhe posted:

The French one was really a B-side of a single, it was barely over 60 minutes and got no press compared to what the Scandi Flick got. It also really was only a no-studio segment episode, compared to everything else released after S3 ended.

They had a goddamn billboards for "Scandi Flick" in many places in Finland. In a country where only car dealerships and elections do billboards, for Christ's sake. And Finland is barely in it, for the last 30 minutes most of it taking that lake segment that could have been anywhere in the Nordics.

But it did have an effect; my elderly mother and sister, who both have no interest whatsoever on car shows mentioned on Christmas holiday that they had watched that "funny movie where these 3 guys drive their cars from Norway to Finland". :D They both watched it because James May was in it, though. I asked them "why" and both said "because they liked his travel and cooking shows".

EDIT: They watched Grand Tour because they like cooking and travel shows. :D

The scandi flick left such an impression, i actually forgot it existed :doh:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

To be brutally honest, i wouldn't have expected a grand tour series after 2024 anyway, the trio looked like they wanted to be somewhere else for the whole scandiflick special. Three seasons of Clarkson farm is also more than enough IMHO. I wonder if May will continue doing the amazon travel logs, he looked miserable in most of the Italian one.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Cojawfee posted:

At least he didn't punch anyone this time.

Does suicide by posting count as harming someone?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Residency Evil posted:

Absolutely wild that I first found this show on a family vacation to Europe in 2004. This trio has taken me from my freshman year of college, where I watched episodes (from this website) streamed on a hacked Xbox, through med school, residency, marriage, and my first kid. By the end it'll have been 20 years: over half of my life. :stare:

I remember when the final gear forums(which was my main source of Clarkson :filez:) admin did die and looking at his obit, he was just couple of years older than me.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Clarkson's Farm season 2 is out. Eight episodes.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

withak posted:

So last season the situation with the local council seemed somewhat sympathetic because the farm shop was clearly resulting in traffic that the area was totally unsuited for. Now though, I can't tell if they are being deliberately vindictive against Jeremy Clarkson (for obvious reasons), or if we are just seeing a story written, filmed, and edited by Jeremy Clarkson to appeal to Jeremy Clarkson fans. Still fun to watch tho.

Anyway, apparently the news says that the cows were all sold and the restaurant closed shortly after the season wrapped which makes it look a lot more like him screwing around for social media buzz and streaming ratings.

Small town councils are vindictive assholes, especially when decor/historical buildings are involved. I am not surprised at them dicking them over nonsense like clear skies(which I am a big proponent of but it shouldn't be enough to kill a project, since it can be easily be contained/mitigated).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Ether Frenzy posted:

Second series was surprisingly good. Jeremy's basically playing a Farm Management Sim in sandbox mode IRL. Just buy whatever device/animals seem interesting, and turn a profit in 22,000 years. Put it on "antelope" speed.

I think the first season was more like a farm management sim, while the second season was a rim world randy random playing the town council to find new ways to gently caress Clarkson over.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Deteriorata posted:

Reportedly he was wearing a helmet, but still had extensive facial injuries and broke several ribs.

Top gear always used open helmets to make it possible to see the presenter face, something that is pretty stupid on an Ariel Atom or a 3-wheeler, where there is little to protect the driver.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
To be honest I watched it and felt the same feeling about the May Man in X specials, nobody was incredibly invested in it and all the stunts were forced by writers that thought to be far funnier than what they really were. It's not like there weren't enough meat about motoring in Eastern Europe, they could have done half of the special just about all the weird Skoda specials.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Grumpwagon posted:

I was surprised to hear how negative the reactions were here. I didn't think it was A tier classic stuff, but for late grand tour, I really enjoyed it

I think that it wasn't funny at all, just May being miserable and a few nice panning shots via drone. There is far worse on tv but one would hope they get something fun out of an hour and change of playtime.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Cojawfee posted:

It made me want to some day check out Lake Bled. That looked really cool.

I live relatively near and I can confirm it's pretty nice to visit, prices have sorta skyrocketed in recent years tho.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Fresh new video from Harry's Garage, interviewing a certain improvised farmer about range rovers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS54AJSadT4

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Ohtsam posted:

I will say that lake is now on a list of places in Europe I want to visit

I might partial to it, but if you are across the atlantic, get to Europe via Ronchi/Trieste airport and then drive by Bled. Slovenian airports have always gave me a bad vibe.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Qmass posted:

compared to their peak this poo poo is dire isn't it? id honestly rather they all rolled into a country pub carpark in one of their own cars, sat at a table outside and drank one beer while a phone on the table streamed it and then ended it after 1hr.

I think that the Clarkson talks poo poo at a pub table videos on drivetribe youtube channel did quite the views. It's almost as they forgot that a lot of people watched top gear for the news segment banter. They could do a monthly podcast with the same amount of effort as the post covid specials and rake in much more hits. Stuff like https://podcasts.apple.com/it/podcast/smith-and-sniff/id1507539214

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jun 18, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Today's Drivetribe article is the closest to an old top gear segment in a while

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWCTmyOFKik

Even if it ends a bit too much as a grenadier ad in times.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

I hope they don't enforce a "TopGear media presence only" clause like with Rory Reed and Chris Harris, otherwise MCM fans are going to riot.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
To be frank grand tour was running on fumes, I felt that out of the specials only carnage a trois was fun, the rest of them were rather uninspired. Hammond is going to march on doing seven series at a time as per usual, May might be doing a travelogue if he feels like it (but i felt like his italian tour wasn't that fun for him, with the clownish stunts imposed by production, so maybe not) and Clarkson will ride the hype train with his farm until it gets shut down by the town. It's not like we won't see content from them ever again.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Residency Evil posted:

I haven't watched any of the "Our man in ***" shows. Are they generally good? Tbqh I think the only May show I've watched was that old wine show he did in...France?

The first one is good, the second one wastes too much time on weird contests from the producers. I hope it’s similar to the first rather than the second season.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Another season of Hammond's workshop is over according to Trakt, I’m starting to lose interest since it’s always the same issues every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Cojawfee posted:

I agree that Richard definitely is good at getting someone to tell him what to do and then do it in front of camera. I don't mean to disparage him, but I assume that's what had to have happened with the computer hooked up to the Aston. He went from "ah, this is power steering fluid, but I don't know what to do about that." to "there is probably a wire in here somewhere that's messed up, so I'll just keep staring at the engine bay" to "Ah, the battery cable was loose" and then he suddenly has a laptop with diagnostic software that he knows how to use. I highly doubt you need to be on the internet to use that software, so I assume when he said they finally got wifi, that means they called up someone and they walked him through how to use the software and clear all the codes to get the ECU to stop freaking out.

Hammond is the only one out of the trio that "runs" a workshop, i would guess the help for the ECU came from there, along some basics out of osmosis.