Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Are they going to do a film segment at Datangshan? I saw there were some stills last year where they were dinking around in the huge crazy outdoor/under-a-goddamn-mountain aviation museum north of beijing, but I don't know if they made a segment out of it.

I hope they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Reichstag posted:

Do the English have some sort of institutional hatred of Mexico? Every single British panel show I watch has at some point had a digression where everyone just gets really racist toward Mexicans.

At a guess, it is probably distant enough from the popular conscience that they felt like they could make the joke because nobody would care. Like an American comedian taking a strident position against Austria, making fun of their chamber music and lederhosen.

Though they aren't especially good at it. I prefer the jokes about prostitute murdering truckers, myself.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 20, 2011

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

It probably could have been a mini special where they all go around looking at what China has to offer. But they probably realized that would be incredibly boring (there's no super cars, and there's no cheap car challenge) and made it a segment instead.

Though I guess they could do a cheap car challenge. You get a few thousand pounds, and you have to buy a new car and they see which one lasts the longest.

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed they didn't do more travelogue stuff. Though I suppose getting permission to do handbrake turns at the summer palace is tricky.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Clarkson is the big stupid one who has big stupid opinions for money, and he has the "it's perfect but it's crap" and "it's poo poo but I love it" angle on supercar reporting down to a repeatable science.

May gives a very solid impression that he is interested in the subject, and his quirky boringness is ok, if a bit studied.

Hammond is the weak sister because he doesn't know anything, doesn't want to learn anything, and is a crying baby who only eats chips and burgers. and is an american. And good christ is his solo stuff unwatchable. May makes a stinker now and then, but I've not seen a single Hammond thing I've wanted to see a second episode of.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

fivre posted:

I was quite disappointed. Western USA road trip and they don't drive CA-1? Why?

Probably because they would need to block it off for half the day for film crews and whatnot. It is one thing to grab a scrap of the Blue Ridge, or some desert highway, another entirely to say "gently caress you, drive the 5", in terms of how the CA DOT feels about it.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Just made me depressed about the lovely trains on my continent. I get distance/my tax dollars/right of way stuff makes it impossible for the US to have non-lovely rail, but drat. They were bitching up a storm when their train was only doing 80 through the mountains. 80 being the projected top speed for the 'high speed rail' we're going to spend a few billion dollars not getting between Chicago and St. Louis (and only 10mph faster than the existing rail line)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

hopterque posted:

He was braking for the corner, you can see the brakes on the caravan lock as he slows to make the turn.

Also the wheel gets loose after the first couple corners because what they're doing is so far outside the boundary of what a caravan and its wheels have to go through that it just gets completely hosed right away.

You'd maybe rather watch a boring car drive a caravan around a track on all 6 wheels in 2:10 seconds....twice?