Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Double Bill posted:

I hope they poo poo on Argentina in their new show every chance they get. Without the BBC ball-and-chain there's pretty much no reason not to.
How about taste?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

either preop is truly an everything is offensive baby or theyre trolling, either way I wouldn't bother.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Roads with ~1.5 lanes and you can't see very far ahead are my nightmare, as nice as the countryside is in that photo, I could not enjoy driving there...

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I would watch this show about cars... do we want less shows about cars ?

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

When the gently caress did it become cool for dudes to judge guys clothes ? I thought this was the car forum not the fucken catty womens chat.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Humphreys posted:

I have no idea who Sean Lock is, but is he trying to be a younger Michael Caine with that voice?
Shockingly, brits have accents based on geography... unlike the rest of the world?

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

pik_d posted:

Probably just best to make a new thread? It is a different show afterall
No its not.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

They spent 40 loving million on 2 chris rock specials... its not surprising they are having to let stuff go.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

sounds like the sort of poo poo that happens to normal people every day in airports and nobody gives a gently caress about. people that work in airports can be loving cunts and take power trips because you can't react without "poo poo going down". I am ignoring this story on principle.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

guys, top gear is almost back !

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I am actually pondering whether the new old top gear was better than what I just watched....

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

InitialDave posted:

I really like the idea, a naturally aspirated V12 and very low weight, it could be the closest supercar yet to the F1.
I think the concept behind it is to actually be faster than an F1 car because it doesn't have to adhere to regs ? Maybe that is marketing wank though ?

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

The celeb segment is like 2mins long, who gives a poo poo... Hammond could start fellating May and it would still be less painful than STIARPC.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Easily the best episode of the series.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Last bit of dead weight to be shed is the "star".

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

wtf man, they went to that crazy hot ones gunsai bicycle track and didn't fucken race on it, they just did laps of the carpark XD

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I'll take a couple BBC shot, edited and scored Chris Harris On Cars a week.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I never understood why they couldn't just sit in someones backyard, the pub, an airport lounge, the fucken local garbage dump and talk poo poo about cars. The whole tent was the dumbest waste of time and money; anything being filmed attracts a crowd of ugly cunts gawking in a circle.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

the stupid barrel rolling into a chopper with pre-located fuel pyrotechnics and the shooting blanks with little buried explosives to kick up dirt kind of pissed me off.

The best episode of top gear IMO was when they took the old lovely British cars driving around Britain to all the shut down factories and it was funny when their clutch wouldn't give them enough power to do a hill start or their handbrake wouldn't hold them in place asnd the most dramatic thing that happened was a car superficially brushing against a signpost...

I don't understand people that need things to be big for entertainment.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Watched new old top gear:

During that whole garbage suzuki review I wished I was watching chris harris buy two kick rear end second hand vehicles with 100K pounds.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Probably the best episode of the grand tour.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Rated PG-34 posted:

The Stalin sketch was dumb black book of communism propaganda. Lol that you can even compare Hitler to Stalin. But I guess when you’re making bits on behalf of the richest man in the world, you gotta pander
here. we. go !

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

sincx posted:

I think an actual lesson you can take away from the Mongolia episode is that keeping things simple really does wonders for reliability. When all you have is a drive train and a few lights, not much can go wrong.
This is a lesson on how to make their show better too. The simplicity of the presentation and how it was scripted is also part of what made it so good. There was some contrived drama (and I bet off screen they camped in a big setup with catering and booze) but the stakes were super low and it was easy to ignore. No stupid bridge crossings with dramatic music... they just went around the bridge. No volcano or oxygen starvation or falling off mountains. When they forded the river the worst thing that was gonna happen was the engine flooding. No car floating off and the trio drowning to dramatic music.

All around the absence of competition and life threatening drama is really key to what made this so good for me. Just dicking around on holiday in a beautiful remote place.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

blunt posted:

It'll almost certainly never happen, but I'd be really interested in a behind the scenes special where it shows what it takes to produce one of these trips.
There is actually a heap of it on youtube. Lots of footage of a bunch of random crew chilling out with one of the 3 dickheads interrupting everyone :P

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

hrm. I wonder who the hosts are going to be of this new so called top gear. TBH, I don't think they need the baggage that top gear brings and are basically already making the american top gear I want to watch... across all their original shows. I just watched the dirt every day rubicon in old 4WDs and it was great.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I can't stand that paddy oval office. Chris is cool and at least Fred has a reason to be a bit of an ego on legs. The iceland stuff was pretty good. The worst part of the show is still, blatently, the celeb garbage.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

less manufactured bullshit, more better entertainment. (still plenty of stupid intentional loving up though)

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

that baja thing was a bit of a disaster but less of the third wheel was good.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

back to manufactured drama nonsense this week. I assume most viewers are into that kind of thing and I just cannot understand why they are... kind of like everything most people are into.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I guess that little crest in the braking zone hosed him up... very interesting that he ended up going in sideways too - would have been trying to turn into the corner while locked up ? The way they played hammonds run as if he was going to go for it after that was amusing

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

perfect for this iteration of top gear then

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

compared to their peak this poo poo is dire isn't it? id honestly rather they all rolled into a country pub carpark in one of their own cars, sat at a table outside and drank one beer while a phone on the table streamed it and then ended it after 1hr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I don't understand why shows like this do this. A fake loving mine field seriously? The best episodes of top gear were just buying a poo poo car and hanging out loving around driving. I know they have to write and plan something or there is a good chance they go to a shithole and come back with footage for half an episode but manufacturing life/death scenarios isn't entertaining. It is the reason 3/4 of what is on the internet is loving terrible poo poo now.

there must be enough reasonable people left in the world that you can REALLY do something and not lie about it. I literally know there is because I watch it on youtube all the time.

2.7M views in 2 weeks on a guy doing the same zero stakes thing hes been doing for years now ffs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS4_K5_tHbg

I don't know why I even care any more, except that its annoying that people with a platform are racing to the middle instead of trying.