Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I really liked the opening bit where they were talking to the camera outside of Number 10 and the PM came out and said, "Stay away from India!"

Should have turned it off then, really. India is a massive, insane, beautiful, crowded, complex, magnificent country and they somehow managed to make a boring programme out of it.

How hard can it be? poo poo, I didn't even think it was possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I just want to see May driving around the track in a sleeping bag.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I actually quite like the concept of the car chase scenes - film a car chase for a movie in the most stupid (and boring) way possible. But cunningly do it so that, with post production, it comes out like a real movie chase scene.

Big surprise. Everyone cheers.

Pity that it took 20 minutes of boring poo poo to get to a 30 second payoff right at the very end of the show, by which time I'm guessing a lot of people had either turned off or were no longer paying all that much attention.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

alex314 posted:

Should any of their new cars fail, they could switch to some tried Soviet/Russian design from Gaz. Also there NEEDS to be Lada Niva somewhere in the challenge! :)

They could use traditional Russian vehicles likes these ones I've found from EnglishRussia.com

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Just had the greatest call from my 80 year old mother. She saw the Top Gear Vietnam special on TV last week and loved it. So she went down to the library where they had several of their DVDs and she is now completely a fan.

She loves Clarkson and thinks May is a bit of a tool :allears:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I hate it when I hear someone say "Coop" instead of coupé. A coop is where you keep chickens.

Check out my mad coop, bro!

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 23, 2012

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Transform and roll out!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
In the early days I'm pretty sure that the show would get co-opted by loving darts and snooker.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Afrika Shox posted:

Made something top gear related

Love this! Clarkson should be a playable model in the next game. I'm surprised nobody's modded them into one of the existing games yet.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Drakkel posted:

I dunno, the bit where Warwick Davis was making short jokes about Hammond was pretty good.

Jimmy Carr's "Now, I don't know what superpowers you people have" when he was trying to get Davies to be a jack and lift the car just floored me.

I liked the rental car abuse because I heard all the complaints when Top Gear were filming across the Tasman and mucking about making a mess. Good to see it was all worth while.

Also, if all SIARPC segments were half a dozen celebrities pissfarting about while having a BBQ I'd watch every one.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
To me May's bit felt like something they had all daydreamed about while working in that building. Its unusual shape, large size and maze-like corridors set their imaginations rolling - hell, there was already a little running track painted on the ground. Besides, who wouldn't want to run/ride/drive through their place of work like a maniac?

Clarkson got a little taste of it in his tiny car, May finished the job.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
On his own, he's such a generic presenter, totally by-the-numbers. He really needs someone eccentric like May or over the top like Clarkson to make him look good.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I loved them standing by the Rock talking about being in Britain again and again and again. Then the Sir Francis Drake race track at the end.

Every time they decide to be bastards to other countries is always funny*.

*Except the time with Mexico.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
It's British in the same way the Falklands are British.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Mustache Ride posted:

Anybody watch today's episode? That yellow SLS was something else.

I was stunned that it was only 2.7 seconds slower than the petrol model despite being half a tonne heavier. Imagine if they were the same weight - the electric would have completely hosed it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

MrChips posted:

It was a good episode, apart from THAT ONE GUY IN THE AUDIENCE :cry:

I thought he was some sort of lifelike wax dummy Clarkson had managed to get from Madame Tussauds until he started blinking.

Those teeth :haw:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I love the idea of those top mounted exhausts. But the reality would be a nightmare of unburned fuel and oil and associated crap constantly dribbling down the back of the car.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
One thing that bugs me whenever the boys get into a truck - why don't they wear seatbelts? It really isn't safe to be just sitting there like that. The time they did the lorry challenge Clarkson slid off his seat, cut up his leg and got the gear shift up his arse.

In fact, the only time I think they've ever worn belts in a truck is the time they drove them through watercoolers and a brick wall.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

murphle posted:

It was a long way to go for an unnecessary racist joke (54:30). "But, there's a slope on it."

I honestly did a huge double take when they said that. Yes, they were actually saying the bridge was uneven, ho ho wink wink, so they'll get away with it. But drat do they need a slap for that like what happened they after the Let's Insult Mexico incident.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Yes, it was a complete accident the shot was framed so that it centred on a lone Asian man walking along the bridge.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Flux Wildly posted:

It wasn't racist. Make like a bridge, and get over it.

You must have loved their Africa special then, because you're living in de Nile.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Private Eye posted:

Now that people in both this thread and the DnD Picture thread have said that slope isn't a word used by the British. Are you going to keep on your social crusade against issues that aren't even there?

I don't believe it for a second, but I'm happy to drop it.

I certainly enjoyed everything else about the special and it's much more fun to focus on that.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

ColHannibal posted:

I've seen multiple quarter inch size holes be fixed in a pinch with some raw eggs. Is it permanent? No, but protein is an amazing glue and the structure of a radiator lets it grip really well. You could probably get a few hundred miles of highway driving out of an egg fix.

They did this years ago on a car myth episode of Mythbusters and Jamie and Adam were both gobsmacked when it worked.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
In Australia we have "Khe Sanh" and it's something people would start singing when drunk. It was pretty much the standard unofficial national loving anthem mate, what the gently caress you lookin' at?.

It also happens to about a Vietnam veteran with severe PTSD and drug addictions looking to die. But, one hell of a chorus.

Now I wonder if every country has a song like that?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

neckbeard posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if all 3 of them rock Hitler-staches for a few min and have a giggle when they shave

Stupid things I worry about when I shave - okay, I've just done my upper lip on both sides of my nose. Hope I don't suddenly die right now for some reason and people think I was trying to grow a Hitler 'stache.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Cars like Oliver are genuinely good on their own, though. Little cars hammered from a single piece of iron by hairy Germans with just two moving parts*.

Great to teach a kid how to drive in.

*The car, that is. Not the German.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I want Pit Racing to be an official rally competition now.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

twoot posted:

The movie-promotion American SIARPC are almost always terrible. At the best of times movie stars hate being interviewed, and when it comes to Top Gear it forces them to gently caress around in a lovely car

A normal interview for a star is probably an hour at most, with all sorts of breaks and do-overs. On Top Gear it's half a day and most of that is throwing a car around a track. Which I'm sure everyone knows is a hell of a lot of work. I'm amazed they get any big names at all who aren't car freaks.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Could anyone tell what Clarkson did to gently caress up the charging on the hybrid? I couldn't tell if he simply hadn't plugged it in properly or hadn't actually turned on the charging station.

tuna posted:

Top gear does not know what the hell they are talking about. US fire trucks are the best.

Plus fire engines are just so individually tailored to any specific site's needs that it's impossible to make generalisations by country.

Unless they're Russians, who prefer to shoot the fire to death.

Russian fire crews don't extinguish fires - they pacify them. Then specially trained teams of firefighters use flame resistant batons to knock the fire to the ground and vigorously suppress it into unconsciousness before dragging it back to the station for 'questioning'.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I thought as much. Clarkson's reputation around electric vehicles precedes him.

Which brings me to my next question:

Running the car in sport mode "which charges the battery constantly" is the least economical way to travel, right? Because you're taking power away from the petrol motor to charge the electric one.

Well, I suppose he could have driven the entire way in first gear with the handbrake on.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Even the manual door opener right at the start. "Yeah, just about every single person breaks this" Then it's poorly loving designed!

"This is the backup for if the electricals go down and you're trapped inside. You know, the emergency escape door release. So we made it really loving easy to break. For a joke!"

Every single thing in that video makes me angry.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 16, 2015

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

SFH1989 posted:

What is the point of the super easy to break door releases? Anti theft? You know, so you can't fish a wire in and pull them up. Even then I can easily think of better designs than what they went with.

And the first time there's an electrical fire in one of those, someone is going to die.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Who's house did they smack into at the end. They hit it pretty hard but didn't even leave a scratch.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Cakefool posted:

If you're watching top gear to get a clear view and a straight forward review you're in the wrong place.

How 95% of all the reviews shown at the start of the show go:

"It's great except it's terrible!"

Or:

"This car's great, so let's review a completely different one instead!"

And yet I always enjoy them :munch:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

The Daily Mail (Ewww) posted:

'I'm off to the Job Centre' jokes Jeremy Clarkson as sources say he may QUIT the BBC - even if they give him the all-clear over his Top Gear food fight fracas

Jeremy Clarkson said today he was 'off to the Job Centre' after the BBC suspended him for allegedly punching a producer in a fight over food.

The 54-year-old millionaire is being investigated for allegedly 'smacking' Oisin Tymon, 36, in the face after being told there was no hot food after a day's filming in Newcastle.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I don't see why I can't hold the position that I really enjoy Top Gear, but despise racism and have zero tolerance for workplace violence.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

quote:

It is understood a report into the so-called ‘fracas’ at a North Yorkshire hotel, concluded that presenter spent 20 minutes verbally abusing producer Oisin Tymon, before launching a 30 second physical assault on him.

The outburst came after Clarkson, who is one of the BBC’s best paid stars, was informed he could not have steak and chips after a day’s filming because the hotel where they were staying had stop serving hot food

loving hell, Clarkson. Punching someone was bad enough, but abusing him for nearly half a loving hour then assaulting him? All because you couldn't get steak and chips.

Way to go out like a oval office.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

KillHour posted:

I love the fact that the prosecutors pursued this in the first place. They were obviously just fishing for a crime they could charge them with.

It makes me wonder if Argentinian prosecutors are elected like in the US, with all the inherent abuses that brings.

Or they could be doing for the cliched "running for mayor in a few years" route.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
No, I think they're actually trying to argue that Top Gear should be prosecuted for removing the FKL plates :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
What about all those posters they could be putting up telling people how it's illegal to call them the Falklands? They could be doing that.