Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Very excited. It's really the only good show on TV anymore (well, there's a couple of exceptions, but nothing else gets close for quality). Can't wait to see James drive a Rolls Royce through India, declaiming on the lost glory of the Empire. :wotwot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

There are no funny standup comics since Bill Cosby retired.

On the bright side, Top Gear is funny, but not as funny as the people who don't like it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Crustashio posted:

No hyperbole, I think that was one of the worst TG episodes/specials. I'd rather watch any regular episode or even the one where they gently caress up someone's garden.

Top Ground Gear Force was a legitimately good show.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

For a completely tongue in cheek Christmas special, I thought it was perfectly good. I enjoyed it more than I enjoyed the Holy Land one, actually. You just have to take it for what it was meant to be.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

What an awesome episode. But wow Wales looks cold and awful.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Ola posted:

I had seen various Guardian commentators ridiculing Alex James for this cheese and didn't know anything about him other than he was in that band. He came across as a really cool guy and between the Cessna touring and the Mexico birthday party, I'll be checking out his book.

Yes but blur are shite.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Ola posted:

One problem with doing a Lemons bit is that it's already a feast of cocking about. It isn't them being idiots in a group of serious adenoid-y car bores, as with the Alfa Romeo concourse for instance or to some extent the BMW in the endurance race.

One of the funniest things about Lemons is the punishments, Grill of Damocles etc. When stuff like that happens, the Lemons hosts will be the stars of the show, the ones that come up with crazy ideas and say funny things and that might not work with how the producers want to do Top Gear. It would definitely be cool though and I hope they do it some time. Perhaps more suited for TG USA?

I asked Jay about that a year or two ago, and he said he'd been approached by the UK Top Gear guys, but that at the time the scheduling just wasn't working out. So it's not totally outside the realm of possibility.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

davebo posted:

Yeah I really like not having a news segment just because I read car blogs every day so it's all old news anyway, and it really dates episodes of top gear uk when you watch an episode and they're telling you that next year there's going to be some amazing new car that came out 8 years ago. The only problem is that there are often a lot of funny interactions between the guys in those segments. But since that's much less of an issue for the US Top Gear, I'm glad they seem to be leaving it out.

The reason for the news in the UK show is because it's ostensibly a journalism program.

The real reason for the news in the UK show is because it's funny.

Our guys aren't as good at funny, and they don't have James May, so really I'm not interested. Now only if they could drop SIARPC.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

Except when Datsun produces the 120Y, which is spectaclarly bad even by Datsun standards - even by Lightburn Zeta standards - the Lexus looks like a work of automotive art.

Any worst car ever DVD that doesnt have either the 120Y or the Zeta really isnt trying. Those truly are, even for the standards they are held to, so utterly godawful that they defy belief any rational human could possibly have allowed them to be produced.

But you don't like yugos so your ideas about what makes a good car are suspect. :colbert:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

jediguy posted:

I guess I'm the only one who thought this was a poo poo episode. And this season has been awesome on the whole. I was looking forward to some good chat on the Megane RS, instead Jeremy just made fun of its seats and then did a hot hatch drag race. Such insight. They brought a concept car to the studio - does anybody really care about concept cars? And the car football/rugby segments are always pretty boring. The Lewis Hamilton bit was the only good part of that episode.

Conversely, the Megane was chatted about as much as needed to prove the point of the segment, the concept car is beautiful and they gave it just the right amount of time, the car sports are hilarious fun, and Lewis Hamilton is terrible.

:colbert:

Looking forward to James versus the Robots.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

You Am I posted:

Seat is Spanish

:thejoke:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

It will be a new Chinese MG. If only so they can spend the entire first episode in cardiac arrest over it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

All May all the time is pretty good, though. He's also a terribly nice fellow in real life.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Hugh Bonneville was a great guest.

So, the nova- that was the Chevy sprint in the states, wasn't it?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I'm an American and i read it just fine.

Oh wait are you from the south? :ohdear:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Saga posted:

This was filming in Newcastle, however. So Geordie jokes aside, at most he was facing the terrible strain involved in waiting for take out or sending a runner to the nearest super-Tesco.

Also, this is the UK. While it's harder to get fired for not being very good at your job, punching people at work usually does get people fired unless the employer has a very good alternative that wouldn't play very badly in the otherwise inevitable employment tribunal.

Of course this isn't a normal employment situation and the Beeb have previously been willing to pay substantial compromise payments to remove presenters they don't want any more (e.g. older women). So it may be that, while getting advice on their rights against Clarkson, they're also negotiating the size of the cheque + apology this Oisin dude would accept to agree to be moved to another show.

Whoa whoa whoa, it was oisin? Is that confirmed? He's a cool dude. :(

Ah, crap it was. There has to be more going on here.

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 11, 2015

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

There's footbal-

Well, no, there's really nothing but brown.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

InitialDave posted:

But it causes STUPID by depicting BURPS and promotes and encourages UNDERWEAR, which is why society SMELLS!

Oh it's like MadLibs!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

InitialDave posted:

We need to make a game called "Cars Against Humanity", don't we?

But who will the villain be? :ohdear:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

On the other hand it gets remarkable mileage and produces an amazingly small amount of carbons per mile for a non-electric car. Therefor, we can recommend this car as eco best-buy!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Yes but it has to have good hosts to make it watchable.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

New Top Gear will be worse than 80s Top Gear.

Netflix Top Gear will be great.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Everybody here keeps chickens. It's not a big deal. Eggs are good.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Nobody really knows. But it is true that cream should get nowhere near carbonara (sorry slidebite).

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I just was given a copy of How to Land an Airbus A330. I can't help but hear May's voice when I read it and it's perfect.

Ha, I just got a copy of that 2 days ago.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Great news.

Except that the Amazon streaming sucks out here due to poor internet quality in the evenings.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Two Finger posted:

in all honesty i was impressed the bbc protected them for as long as it did, they pissed off some very vocal groups of people over a very long period of time
i'll admit i'm not british though so maybe the british attitude was different to that here in nz, where they probably would have been gone in no time

For all their vocality, I'm afraid the Morris Marina Owners Club was not very influential.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I really hope that the first thing out of Jeremy's mouth on the Amazon show will be

"..........and WE'RE BACK!"

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

The sensors just freak out when you lower the pressures for off-road. Not a big deal.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Preoptopus posted:

Thanks for having my back to clarify what I was saying was that if a car comes in for a tires and their sensor is corroded to poo poo and is leaking, I cant simply put a regular valve stem in and send them on their way. They have to purchase a new tmps sensor or leave on a spare tire and then do whatever by themselves. My original point was that I doubt that Hennessey or Ford for that matter knowingly let Clarkson drive a press car with a TPMS light on. Therefore he must have had a leak.

Or, you know, they just dropped 10 psi from each tire for better traction.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I didn't get one.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Welp, I got my email saying that they're going to call me in the next week. Maybe I get to go?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I never actually got a call. So it's good to know that despite this being Amazon, it's still typical television production disorganisation.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Fantastic program. I'm so happy it's back on. Watched it with my boy!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

DJ Commie posted:

I work at a rural California WISP and there's definitely real country folk here. Merle Haggard country!

I'm sorry you work in Oildale. I thought I worked in a terrible environment.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

projecthalaxy posted:

like action movie cosplay.

:thejoke:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Like little walk up restaurant things.

Best fish n chips in the world are in Edinburgh, though.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

That sounds terrible I'll stick with prime. And also the new season of Man in the High Castle starts soon sooooo....

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Nah Oisin couldn't punch at this level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I really loved James' boat.