Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

That first post made my brain bleed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BigPaddy posted:

Not even over I Player?

That's neither torrents nor downloads. :psyduck:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Ziploc posted:

More gifs please.

Silly me, I thought this was sarcasm.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

leica posted:

I wish people would stop telling people not to post in a discussion forum :colbert:

I thought it was a comedy forum.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

otaku69 posted:

Tell me who do you think I meant, when I said "they are dirty" And also gently caress you and the 12 year old child you rode in on you human being.

:munch:

Nothing bad can happen here.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

KozmoNaut posted:

* Miko, Barcelona?

I heard it as Mykonos, Greece?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

webmeister posted:

Pretty sure he said Monaco.

Makes sense, I thought they were referencing more ferry/boat travel, since they were on rails again this time...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I thought there was a separate thread for non-"real" Top Gear? Anyway, is there any news on the upcoming UK season?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I know American Top Gear doesn't count, but holy lack of continuity in last night's cold weather / winter beater episode.

Half of the time Tanner was in a NA 300ZX and the other half he was in a Twin Turbo 300ZX. I guess they thought that :shrug: they're both yellow, right?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

West SAAB Story posted:

shut up you are all niggers with no jobs

Such a ridiculous situation. To give one word so much power that to even utter something that resembles it creates a huge deal is nonsensical. Then when you combine it with the fact that it's an evergreen staple in hip-hop and rap, it begs the question -- how black do you have to be before you can say the bad word?

Unless there's some kind of joke attached to the story, because Clarkson's on-screen persona is based on being offensive... so BBC is either going to fire him directly, or let it blow over and the threat is really just hyperbole.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

West SAAB Story posted:

Good to have this insight, African Booty Shine. :v:

meatpimp is quietly giggling at his computer.

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Why is it so difficult to for you to accept and let sleeping dogs lie?

Because it can't be both ways. You can't have a two syllable combination of sounds simultaneously be either a magic button of endearment or reprehensibly foul. There's no such thing as "equality," there never has been and there never will be. People are of different socioeconomic, geographical, cultural groups and each one collectively has opinions about the others. You can make a strong argument that the hispanic and/or asian groups are more oppressed in the US than blacks, yet if the subject of racism is broached, black vs. all comes to the forefront.

Your comments support that. I don't go to D&D, though, because this is all nonsense that has no real solution, so I won't derail this thread any further, other than to say that I've got the entire last season of Top Gear saved on my DVR and haven't had/made the opportunity to watch it... but the whole "catching a nhumhumhum" thing has reminded me to watch it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Knobjockey posted:

Like a bit of a cant?

More like camber, but if you want to call him a cant...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Jusupov posted:

Worth it just for tanners car

Cool, at first. Not cool that they didn't show the fuel cell/bodging it took to get it to run like that.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

You don't really get it, but D&D is that way, this is the Top Gear thread and I'm waiting patiently for the new special, where they get run out of the country by white people. :colbert:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

cloudchamber posted:

Whoa!!! When did this thread get all D&D? You're supposed to use this thread to post pictures of female celebrities not post you opinions about Jeremy Clarkson. (Unless you're defending him from some comments you read in The Guardian. You can do it all you want in that case.)

Shut up.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

sigtrap posted:

I have zero tolerance for anything other than zero tolerance as I find it intolerable

Reporting this for intolerance.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Mooseykins posted:

Why couldn't they use terms like these that common idiots like me will understand?

A "fracas" sound like a loving exotic fruit or something.

"Jeremy Clarkson suspended from the BBC over a pineapple."

Because the BBC doesn't cater to common idiots, duh.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

NihilismNow posted:

I really don't buy the current three are the only ones who could do it. They are acting their personas as is (some more than others).

You have obviously not watched American Top Gear.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Bape Culture posted:

The other guy should have just knocked him out. Why can't you have a good old honest fight anymore? Smh.

You're damned right. Sometimes talking only goes so far.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CornHolio posted:

If Top Gear isn't cancelled and it isn't his 'last lap around the track,' that 100,000 ride is suddenly kind of a false advertisement, is it not?

I'm sure he would kick the 100k back, it's not like his bank account would even notice that.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Netflix Top Gear will be great.

This was exactly what I thought reading that story. Netflix better throw the money truck at Clarkson and secure him... I wonder if there are non-compete clauses in their current contracts that would affect future work?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

England leading the SJW charge. Sometimes people get mad and come to blows. Then they get over it. Well, before the SJW crew comes in and then it's a reprehensible action and unrecoverable. :rolleyes:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Powershift posted:

No he wouldn't. The producer would be paid to gently caress off, and everybody else would continue on as if nothing happened.

Which is exactly what should have happened. Write a big fat check to the producer for his reception of a knuckle sandwich, then move on.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

DOOMocrat posted:

Assault and shouting epithets about race to somebody and political correctness have about as much to do with each other as chalk and cheese.

Yes, a punch and a name calling is worth sabotaging a program that brings in hundreds of millions of dollars. :bravo:

Bunch of loving pussies that have lost any sense of reality. Our countries blow up families on a regular basis and people get wound up about an old man throwing a punch.

Bape Culture posted:

They're both affluent you poo poo. I just think people should man up and have a fight then draw a line under it if that's what needs to happen.

Yup. Fighting is a way to solve petty problems, believe it or not.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CommieGIR posted:

We stopped doing duels in the 1800s. Only a child thinks that fist fights are acceptable ways to mediate a disagreement.

Force should only be used when it's one nation blowing up another nations faceless people. In person-to-person interaction, words are the only way to settle things. Curious, this.

CommieGIR posted:

For Hire - Producer for BBC

Requirements
- Bachelors or Equivalent in Media Production
- Willingness to work extremely long hours to meet production deadlines
- Willingness to take verbal and physical abuse

These are the requirements for so many jobs.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I hope the BBC ensures that the new Top Gear panders to a genderless, classless, raceless audience.

Because a society that has no feelings or bias to any or all of those things has never existed and will never exist.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CommieGIR posted:

What the hell are you talking about? What the hell are you advocating? Nobody is saying its wrong for Clarkson to skirt the edges of good taste or that he should be censored.

We are saying he can't verbally berate producers and punch them in the mouth for not being able to get a hot meal at a late hour. You are saying THAT is too much to ask?

I'm saying that too much is being made of calling someone out for being a) lazy and b) Irish. The punch is something that should have been paid off with an apology and a big fat check.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CommieGIR posted:

Man, social progress sucks, how do we go back to Jim Crow and Women being told to shutup in public?

Yes, because that's literally what this is about.

And it's still okay to tell people to shut up in public, whether male or female.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CommieGIR posted:

Again, anyone using SJW as a derogatory word is just tooting their own horn.

All you are doing is throwing out accusations, then sidestepping responses with misdirection.

SJW is a legitimate term for a specific type of person. If you choose to see it as derogatory, that's your interpretation. :toot:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Comrade Flynn posted:

I've beaten my way to the top.

Good thing you live in the US, in the UK you would have been sacked.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Jeremy should have done the current US mea culpa and checked himself into rehab for a couple months, turning the sympathy towards him, then he would have been welcomed back with open arms.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Ripoff posted:

"That's show business" is the weakest loving response to an argument of why assaulting other people is wrong. "Well if you didn't want it to happen to you, you shouldn't have been there!" is the same sort of poo poo you hear from people victim-blaming raped women and black kids shot by idiotic white supremacists.

Someone has his troll slider pushed all the way to the limit.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Symphoric posted:

Yes it was intended to be! If an idiot can compare defending Clarkson to defending rapists and racist murderers then I can make my own terrible analogy goddamnit!

That's a very good point.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

That looks damned delicious.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I can't decide whether this thread is being trolled or some people are just that bent on posturing a cool tough guy persona at all times, but this "in my day we just killed each other and made up the next day" nonsense is either blatantly untrue or you've had a lot of disorderly conduct convictions.

I think it was well framed a couple pages back -- if a professional sports figure would have done something like that, there would have been a consequence, but the consequence would have been much less severe than losing his job. Clarkson is not an office employee, he's closer to a sports figure than he is to an office employee, so the standard "he punched someone in the workplace" does not apply, since his workplace is not a 9-5 job... he's talent for a fantastically large production that generates a huge amount of money... in fact, keeping scores of people employed in office employee jobs.

Did he make a bad choice? Yep. Was alcohol a factor? Possibly, maybe probably. Was it worth throwing the baby out with the pant-shitted bathwater? I don't think so.

They spent decades grooming Clarkson's persona, then fired him when his face grew to fit the mask.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CommieGIR posted:

:allears: I never get enough of this logic process.

I get it, you'd rather see a couple dozen people (if not much more) lose their jobs because one guy punched another guy. :bravo:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Cubey posted:

the fact that you people are saying he should not have lost his job for 'just throwing a punch' when that is a drastic understatement of what actually happened is really cute. if he just 'threw a punch' you might have a point, instead of getting into an excessively long confrontation and assaulting the guy to the point where bystanders had to intervene to get him to stop, all over something that wasn't even the fault of the guy he was assaulting.

stop oversimplifying poo poo to try and justify why your favorite host of your funny car show got shitcanned.

Looks like you broke your shift key while pounding on the keyboard.

You're also oversimplifying the arguments that counter the arguments you claim are being oversimplified.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CommieGIR posted:

I still really doubt that, but I'm going to have to agree to disagree considering how willing people are to hammer on about it.

I mean, we might as well have had more forethought not to allow Hitler to retake the Sudetenland, considering how unwilling he actually was to hold it. Hindsight is 20/20, and this is no different. I sincerely doubt that the producer could foresee what was going to happen.

Now you are literally, and unironically, comparing the situation to Hitler. :rolleyes:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Sir Tonk posted:

Who are all these people that have never been yelled at by a boss before? :psyduck:

Welfare recipients pants making GBS threads on internet people who have done something in life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

InitialDave posted:

I always assumed you went to art school.

I assumed he had terrible facial hair.