Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Indeed, most of the episode was terribly uninspired, although the train ads gave me a laugh. The party, especially the Top Gear band was just painful, although I'm curious how actually awkward it was to witness live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

It probably could have been a mini special where they all go around looking at what China has to offer. But they probably realized that would be incredibly boring (there's no super cars, and there's no cheap car challenge) and made it a segment instead.

Though I guess they could do a cheap car challenge. You get a few thousand pounds, and you have to buy a new car and they see which one lasts the longest.

You think they would have at least compared those Chinese copies to their Western counterparts. My guess was that they were also somewhat hampered by the state in their coverage.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Ak Gara posted:

He was probably drunk.

Probably hung over.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I thought they were going to make a crack about 5th gear for a second, but I guess that would've been too easy. I also like how they all the tags on their outerwear for the last bit.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Greatest tragedy of WW2 was the ruination of a perfectly good moustache.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Ether Frenzy posted:

Basically the opposite of what the subtitles said. Ferrari is magnificent, McLaren is very twitchy and uncontrollable/a handful.

Just based on what he said, you could predict the outcome. Clarkson had to bet on it to preserve some suspense I suppose.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

But what rifles do lefties shoot

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Eifert Posting posted:

The only bit of the special forces scene I liked was May's one-sided feud with the queen.

Who could resist shooting the queen tbf

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

The new track seems kind of boring to drive seeing as how there's very little elevation change, though that was the same problem with the old one (except doubly so I imagine).

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

In the next segment of making james may do poo poo, he visits an ebola ward and discovers the true force of projectile vomit

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

sbaldrick posted:

Is James the legitimate best drive, I noticed recently when they have something really expensive it's James that drives it.

Jeremy apparently couldn't drive the GT40 because he's too tall/fat, and Richard is too boring solo.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I laughed way too much at an old man getting hit with a rubber dong.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

James May has some p boss screwdrivers.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

p boring ep. i wish the races didn't seem so artificially engineered to make them competitive. i fell asleep during the celeb thing. did i miss anything

edit: also the race doesn't do anything except highlight the dismal lack of funding for public transit in the US

Rated PG-34 fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 15, 2017

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

This season’s eps are like 1 hr car ads. Where’s the interesting challenges and fun stuff

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

It’s possible that Hammond’s injury really hosed with their season and what they had planned

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Strongest ep of the season by far

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I guess it’s kinda cute that they put in dumb propaganda. As if the show wasn’t bougie enough already

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

It is, but sadly they barely showed anything of Georgia really, there's way more interesting stuff outside the main cities that didn't make it on the show. I've been meaning to go back since before the war and sadly just keep postponing it.

The Stalin sketch was great, but I knew something was up when they described the region as peaceful and prosperous when one is partially occupied by Russia and the other is in permanent low-grade conflict with Armenia.

The Stalin sketch was dumb black book of communism propaganda. Lol that you can even compare Hitler to Stalin. But I guess when you’re making bits on behalf of the richest man in the world, you gotta pander

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I love being lied to in service of a historical narrative that benefits the rich and powerful. Stalin may have had his faults, but we should be honest about those faults and not embellish them

Rated PG-34 fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 6, 2019

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

The Cold War is over and we don’t have to spew Cold War propaganda any more to the benefit of Nazis, and wealthy elites

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I’m not claiming that Stalin is a swell guy, I’m claiming that the propaganda is unfair to him and by proxy the USSR and communism to the benefit of nazis and wealthy scum like Jeff Bezos. We shouldn’t repeat old cold war propaganda, and instead have a more sober analysis and critique of history.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

What is the genghis khan narrative that benefits nazis and wealthy elites

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

drgitlin posted:

So you’re saying what, there was no great terror, no purges, and millions of soviet citizens didn’t die because of Uncle Joe?

I’m saying the numbers were much lower than stated such that to compare Stalin with Hitler is a bad joke as the latter is responsible for something north of 80 million deaths.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

So it would be more accurate to compare Stalin to Pol Pot?

Nah, pol pot wiped out like a quarter of the population. Nor did Stalin have the backing of the US and Britain. Quite the contrary actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

MrOnBicycle posted:

Nah. It's easy to find by yourself (no ones else is posting sources while defending Stalin of all people) and this stupid derail has gone on for too long.

Sorry I got sucked in and furthered the derail. Good to hear that TGT has become better. The first season was pretty bad (compared to the Top Gear years) but the second was better. Both felt too scripted and didn't have the illusion of improvisation like even the later Top Gear episodes had. I'll have to watch more of the 3rd season I guess.

A lot of words for the latter option of “post your sources or stfu”.

If there’s any derail, it was on tgt, where are beloved boys spent a few min on a boring segment giving credence to dumb nazi propaganda that you among many others have eaten up.