Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

yaffle posted:

Just don't try to open the hood.

http://youtu.be/jTNKiTrX0Vk

"There's no reason to open the hood unless it's in the shop". Isn't that the wiper fluid container down there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CannonFodder posted:

He said "I went to Humberside" and just assumed it was in England. That name is very British.

And if he was in Spain then why did he not have a LHD model?

This made me curious as well. The generation 1 MX-5 he drove at the beginning of the piece was LHD. I suppose "Humberside" must have referred to the airport, unless global warming has been exceptionally kind to the north of England. I guess Mazda provides the cars the reviewers want. Here's the plate.

Did a bit of internet detectiving, it's a German 5-day temporary plate issued in Bad Homburg vor der Höhe, valid to Jan 30 2015.

Now, who can identify the location?

And who can give :spergin: a Sherlock Holmes hat and a magnifying glasss?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Why does suspending him have to involve not airing the episode?

^^^ It's kind of like a kerfuffle

Is it better or worse than a hullabaloo?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Helpful explainer.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

sbaldrick posted:

Did you count Wolf Hall in that?

It's been cancelled as well. Cromwell was ... let go.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

When Angus Deayton got fired from Have I Got News For You, they didn't replace him with a person with similar characteristics. They replaced the entire role and started doing guest hosts every episode. Top Gear should do that as well. One week, Richard and James will get getting along swimmingly with Steve Coogan (in character as Alan Partridge perhaps?), next week they're doing a camper van challenge with Brian Blessed, the week after that they have to suffer a Jedward takeover. Of course it won't work, but it will two series of absolute mayhem before the entire concept goes supernova.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

But...but...that clip with Clarkson in a bouncing car, saying "what in God's name is happening"...might we never see that?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Dear so-called BBC....

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

"You should've heard my language while we were filming this'".

*car maintains almost perfect traction in 2 inches of slush*

On the cutting room floor: "Oh gosh and father's galoshes! By Jove this fellow is practically afloat upon the snow. I haven't seen such an ill-shod conveyance since dear old grand uncle came home from the pheasant shoot in his co-respoondents, carrying the Earl of Albermarle and their combined quarry on his back. The mud and the dram had done something of a number on them all you see."

There is a quite a bit of new Jeremy in there though.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Watermelon City posted:

If Clarkson preemptively went to his bosses what does this mean for the left wing conspiracy to ruin people's fun revealed just a few pages back?

Take it with a pinch of artisanal Maldon grain salt. The Guardian is overflowing with opinion pieces on this event, opinion pieces about the number of opinion pieces and so on up to the fourth or fifth meta level.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

PT6A posted:

If this were done in the same tone as the film where they tried to understand Peugeot drivers, it would be loving awesome, actually.

Yeah, I think that sounds great. They'll have tons of clichés to play with. And "nice" cars that turn out to be horrible is a great recipe for a challenge, think British Leyland and cheap supercars.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

cloudchamber posted:

There's something very Alan Partridge about that segment.

"...drags the car down on its haunches, giving it a taut stance through the bends. It's clever stuff."

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cat Terrist posted:

This talk about the Guardian reminds me of a rather good show that touched on this very subject.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGscoaUWW2M

Still true after all these years

Such a gem this. Hacker is usually a goof, but in this case he insists on his priority and shows where his wisdom is at, knowing the press. Which of course the unelected, arrogant and actually quite powerful civil servant thinks he does, but really does not. What an amazing piece of comedy.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

blk posted:

It will also be interesting to see the contents of any statement Clarkson may make regarding this.

The only sort-of public statement he has made was this "rant" saying how the BBC had hosed it up. Given what happened, and that before that he had went to the producer's house to try to apologize, qualifies him for oval office Of The Year. He's scheduled to host Have I Got News For You on April 24th, will be interesting to see if he goes through with it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CornHolio posted:

Hammond lives in an actual castle? wow.

And how is he worth more than May, anyway?

He's done more entertainment shows and advertising.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Symphoric posted:

This is one of the things that aggravates me the most. By firing Clarkson they've made Oisin into a villian and given them no real way to salvage the situation. If TG went on as is Clarkson could have just stepped out and said "Yeah it was my fault I'm a big fat rear end in a top hat" but now Oisin will forever be the guy that killed Top Gear.

Reminder: the only sort-of public statement Clarkson has made so far, in addition to some tweets, is to say to a charity auction that this is the fault of the loving BBC execs who have ruined the show.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Fartpopper posted:

May is a gentleman through and through.

Also I would totally watch a Laurie/Fry/Atkinson team.

"Our challenge was this, will we enjoy ourselves in northern Italy with its Barolo wine, Alba truffles, Ferrari cars, winding roads, lovely scenery AND eachother's company?"

*television happens*

"Yes, 10 point to us, we did enjoy ourselves"

Viewing figures: 95 billion, most of them me

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

That's amazingly well done. It even included the tasteful Cinematic Orchestra soundtrack. So, take 30 internet points if you accurately identified this Top Gear challenge before 60 seconds of video time had elapsed.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

japtor posted:

Cock's Kitchen

This week on Cock''s Kitchen, like last week, it's spam and beans.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Someone smelled the sofa. It still smelled like Bugatti cologne.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Fo3 posted:

They actually didn't have a sofa when they sprayed the cologne in season 10 :ssh:

Bloody hell readers, they didn't even have a sofa!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIFPqVgvnBk

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Post the best Top Gear videos that actually reflects your inner desire to be friends with them and the deletestest scenes u got

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poE2l5Kt8Ww

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aOfjtnjGQI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31xN0KTU99E

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I wonder who they have booked to replace him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmys4LH9jTE

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It would be extremely sad to see Guy Martin do SIARPC, contractually obliged to pretend to gve a poo poo about Spiderman 7 under studio lighting.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

spog posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jun/04/top-gear-bbc-in-james-may-richard-hammond-jeremy-clarkson

Hammond and May are being offered a million quid per show, each, to stay on Top Gear with a series of rotating co-hosts.

The paper speculates that this could leave the door open for JC to return as a 'guest' presenter, or possibly come back full time in a future series.

EDIt not per show.

Ola posted:

When Angus Deayton got fired from Have I Got News For You, they didn't replace him with a person with similar characteristics. They replaced the entire role and started doing guest hosts every episode. Top Gear should do that as well. One week, Richard and James will get getting along swimmingly with Steve Coogan (in character as Alan Partridge perhaps?), next week they're doing a camper van challenge with Brian Blessed, the week after that they have to suffer a Jedward takeover. Of course it won't work, but it will two series of absolute mayhem before the entire concept goes supernova.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Evans has been on Top Gear at least once, James May got to take the rare Ferrari out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxWMYcPX27s

It will be very interesting to see how they get on. I'm banking on spectacular failure or spectacular success, nothing in between.

Actually, no, the other way around. It's going to be a tepid non-failure.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The one thing that can save Top Gear is if the other two hosts are total randoms.

[Chris Evans V/O]

Tonight on Top Gear. I take a look at alternative uses for camper vans. Reverend Richard Coles takes the new 458 Speciale round the 'Ring. And Kevin Bridges tries to buy insurance for his GSX-R 1000.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Will be interesting to see how this turns out. It used have way more than just petrolheads tuning in, but it was a prime time Sunday show after all. How many will tune in behind a regionally limited paywall?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

quote:

Jeremy thought he was Richard Branson – it was like he’d swallowed a business book you buy at an airport.

Haha. In terms of visualizing, I am 100% on board with this.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

Of course, Europeans are going to keep on assuming American beer means Budweiser, and I'm not up on the European craft beer scene.

Not at all. European beer buffs are well aware that the current craft beer trend started in the US and has moved to Europe along with beards and lumberjack shirts - despite Europe's beer history perhaps, but the trend has helped the European traditional varieties back into the limelight as well. Both James and Oz will agree to this, but on TV it would probably be a pretend disagreement so one could explain it to the other.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yes, thanks AcidRonin. I wasn't saying that beer originated in the US. I was saying that the current craft beer trend in which hipsters obsess over weird varieties originated in the US. This means that James and Oz will be likely to find and enjoy many varieties they like in the US. And I'm not knocking the beer trend, if anything I'm part of it. Currently very giddy about Belgian lambic, but I don't have a lumberjack shirt or a beard.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Could also be some very boring reason, like the BBC would only work under a certain set of legal / insurance terms which the car manufacturer had to defer to (with Top Gear being on the car maker's side and fighting the bureaucracy). But since Amazon has no bindings they would gladly pay for or sign whatever terms the car maker wanted.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

One massive plus: They no longer have to have celebrities on plugging films in order to class the show as "light entertainment".

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

webmeister posted:

Interesting that the McLaren had the worst of the conditions and still came up trumps! Still looking forward to Not Gear's take on it though, as that video was kinda .. lacklustre?

In the post-television age, there's still something to be said for television making skills.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I didn't mind the long unedited laps, it was interesting to see how the different cars handled the corners. But the driver's summary was home video stuff, a good example of why "scripted" television actually just means "prepared and thought through, not just ad lib babble".

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

That's the best racing TV I've ever seen.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm surprised BMW sold the test car to a unsuspecting buyer, that's a bit of a dick move.

Could be that BMW sold it with full disclosure at a discount to rear end in a top hat dealer, who then jacked up the price and sold it on to unsuspecting buyer.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

BBC has a new series of James May's Cars of the People.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06z98lc/james-mays-cars-of-the-people-series-2-episode-1

In it, James May suggests we get rid of the Morris Minor as a symbol of britishness. He compares it to a popular television show, getting rid of it would hurt at first, then everyone would get over it...

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

djdanno13 posted:

Really if there is any car that denotes Britishness anyways it would be the Austin 7

James May agrees. Watch it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Episode 2 is about 4x4s and is great. Those who've seen it...when he lists various rally stars who have won in the Audi Quattro, was one of them TV's Oz Clarke?