Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Humphreys posted:

Another thoroughly enjoyable episode. James mentioned that it wasn't his workshop in the Hornby episode, I felt a little disappointed in that.

I like how he has so little respect for the conceit of television, he doesn't let any opportunity pass to sabotage it. "I'm going to explain....I know you're all screaming "don't"". "I will try to put this together before you change over to a soap". Old school James material. It really only comes out on the BBC, doesn't it? Amazon doesn't do Jamesness very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

e: wrong thread!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

GutBomb posted:

It was always nearly exactly 10 minutes, usually right down to the second, including the lap.

Which is probably the minimum required by the BBC Light Entertainment Specification Sheet.

One thing that's sorely lacking is good jokes. There are nice small ones (like "to pay"/"toupee" during the auction) and the car review bits are good enough - but as I've said before they are lacking that funny angle which only being on the BBC could do. They would be "forced" to do consumer reviews (which tons of people actually complained about them not doing, which makes it funnier) and then they sabotage the consumer review with ridiculous racing or big explosions. Ridiculous racing or big explosions on their own just isn't funny, even if big pyro does trigger some pleasing synapses in our childish minds.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Gotta be British Leyland for me.

All the pieces falling off the cars on the cobble road, the long telephoto shot of James in the driver's seat getting eggs drizzled down his face, I may never have laughed so hard.

Or the door trim going on strike while the rest of the door opened.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Monkey bike reassembler was glorious.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

HERAK posted:

A bolt is secured into a hole with precut threads. A screw will cut it's own threads, and possibly its own hole as well.

Nu-uh. In mechanic courses (and maybe in mech.eng. as well?) they teach that a screw is something that screws into precut threads in the work piece but a bolt is something screws into a nut and holds two pieces together. The name is probably related to a door bolt, which slides through some holes to bind two things together. And

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

HERAK posted:

Wood screws?

Should have drawn a Venn diagram. I meant to explain the difference between bolts and threaded metal things which could be called bolts but are in fact screws.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

KakerMix posted:

Really screwed up the thread guys :(

Are you bolting?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

KakerMix posted:

Better fasten up just in case.

Just don't go nuts.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

eyebeem posted:

I'm a civil engineer

Good on you, I can't stand rude engineers.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

As Clarkson ages, broadcast technology pushes itself to the ragged edge trying to keep up with his increasingly complex, Mandelbrotian decay.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Humphreys posted:

Not sure if there is a way to embed Drivetribe videos but I had a nice giggle at James May's Walkaround of a Ferrari 308 GTB:

https://drivetribe.com/p/fezza-bezza-XL8NkFsLQVKPValgNdKMwQ?iid=V4PhR8ZJQAWpLeBkxx9-BQ

drat play arrow fooled me.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

"More monkey business" along with random animated monkey is the kind of stuff a good old BBC producer would reject.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Fayez Butts posted:

Consider that they have the same producer they had when on the BBC, no.

Wilman was executive producer and has terrible humor. A big army of BBC writers, editors and producers helped provide content and yay/nay/tweak his ideas. A random monkey, maybe just because they happened to have an animated monkey lying around, would not have made the cut. Amazon has no army like that. Not that it matters hugely of course, but without that army of cutting edge joke smiths (which are used in tons of shows) you get stuff like endlessly repeating "does that mean he's not coming on then" without evolving it, etc etc.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

wolrah posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzD_SnpWCpw

I'm definitely in favor of the Halfa Romeo.

"I went on the internet and I found this:"

(criticism of celebrity brain crash, requests for more silly car stuff)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

projecthalaxy posted:

Its kinda interesting to me that despite debuting a new track and making several YouTube videos about it, they did not have or even mention a hot lap/test driver. I wonder if that is just not going to be a thing this season.

Without having seen the episode yet, why not? The Stig was The Stig, you can't just reinvent it. And since you can't, just leave it, do something else entirely, play around, see what happens.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

I can't believe Jeremy and James are only in their 50's.

This is what regular use of tweed can do to the human body.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Perhaps they just been making TV for so long they think you can't make a show without having guests on.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

evilbastard posted:

And yet they are spending real money on it - next week or the week after Penn Jillette will be on. He has already said he is being flown to England, doing the lap, then flying back to Vegas.

That's a lot of money on what might be politely be called a B-lister - and he doesn't even have a tie-in show to promote.

If there's one thing Amazon has, and it probably is only one thing, it's money.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah, they're finding their way. When they went to the new driver with no schtick or joke, that was a good sign. "Look, we can't force the old jokes back in, just drop all jokes and see what happens later, let new stuff find its way through over time". And the trips and challenges only really work when there's a sense of purpose there, it really did this time. Historical stuff such as those old new racers or the Lancia thing has loads and loads of potential, it means challenges, cocking about, romanticism, nostalgia, story telling, races etc etc, all of with having some sense of purpose behind it. What was it really like to drive F1 in the early 1970s? How did they do Monte Carlo in the 1920s? What's the deal with Maserati? etc etc

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Falken posted:

The dogging bit seemed unscripted to me. Clarksons 'normal personality' came out and seemed equal parts amused and embarrassed.

Imagine being balls deep in your partner, and someone shouting "Oh I've found a car here.. Oh it's a Toyota.."

Could also be that the couple weren't doing anything particularly nasty, that the situation was exaggerated and Clarkson's dialogue added later for fun. Scripted vs unscripted is a big grey area.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Data Graham posted:

I'm sure they were just enjoying the scenery

I'm sure. I've visited the Pyrenees and plunging gorges left me breathless.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Decius posted:

I rather see them testing cars I might see on the street even if I never could affordthem instead of some insane thing that's living in some garage in Dubai.

I think most super car tests are pretty boring and have been for years. It's interesting when there's actually something new and particular about them, but most often it isn't. They touched on this in ep 8 (I think), with a silly lineup of new supercars with weird names. None of them would stray far from the decades old formula of:

"The Name R was good. Now they've made the Name RR. The R had X brake hp, but the RR has X+Y. That's like (ridiculous activity) in a (preposterous context), which is funny! It has more carbon fiber and more speed. Lower weight but higher cost! They say it can go around the 'ring in (amount of time I don't give a poo poo about). Listen to that noise! (vague and unimpressive engine sounds gently emit from my laptop).

(It is good to drive but it's bad) or (It is bad to drive but it's good)."

(cue footage with oversteer and tire smoke )

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Xelkelvos posted:

All of those extra bits on the Model X look absolutely useless though, if entertaining.

Each thing was added as an easter egg in a major software update. The amount of them says how long Tesla has been around, which illustrates how long it took for Jeremy to finally review one, long after UK Top Gear and Tajikistan Tractor Times did.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

James May maintains his youth, while somewhere a Honda CB350 is ageing.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Could very well be the airfield owners wanting to do the development, or that they want to sell the land and nobody wants to buy it unless they can build apartments.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I think the problem has always been what viewers think "scripted" entails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CornHolio posted:

I've always felt it was a rough outline with maybe a few good jokes thought of in advance, otherwise just three blokes having a good time.

But was your description then a rule that was followed strictly? It can be an ad lib where 89 minutes of crap was cut away and 1 minute of gold kept. Then later they might reshoot that minute of gold, for any number of TV reasons. Or it can be all written in advance but done so well that it "feels" ad libbed. All of these might be true for different parts of a single segment. It's television, not dogmatic improv.