Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KuruMonkey
Jul 23, 2004

wolrah posted:

I suspect that'd end up like the Cheap Convertible Challenge from series 16 where they all bought E30s, except this time it would be Hiluxes.

May would 'hilariously' turn up in a Mitzi L200. Otherwise; yeah TGUK have covered UK pickups with 'hilux is indestructible' over the course of a couple of seasons.

wolrah posted:

I don't know if the market in the UK could support this, but I'd like to see a cheap muscle car challenge. V8, 2+2, RWD, some low budget, that's it. The side challenges could involve exhaust noise, ability to turn the rear tires in to smoke, etc. Obviously that would be easy in the US, but over there I don't know if there are enough vehicles that would fit the bill.

Depends on the definition of 'cheap' really. Without being imports of US cars, and hence overly expensive for what it is, you're talking BMW 840i, Merc CL420, Jag XK?
Not really 'muscle cars'...because we don't do those in europe, we do hot hatches instead.

Anyway; TGUK really did as much as they will on either of these concepts; the US special with the cow on the roof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KuruMonkey
Jul 23, 2004

echoplex posted:

It makes sense to do it that way, though - it's insurance, to a degree.

Indeed; think about the Germany trip they did; who really thinks that the BBC had Hammond buy an M3, drive it as fast as possible on public roads, THEN check the car's road worthiness? (and do that AFTER he'd crashed the jet car?)

KuruMonkey
Jul 23, 2004

oxbrain posted:

188 complaints out of 5 million+ viewers. .00376%. Sesame street does worse than that.

You're assuming that those who complained also watched the program? :raise:

On the flip side; when was the last time a government official complained about a sesame street episode? :ese:

Edit: serious post time; complaints direct to the BBC from overseas officials will be getting a bit more attention at the BBC - the reason Clarkson has the charmed life regarding his comments is the bankroll he represents in terms of overseas sales of his show - if evidence that this market is "not amused" mounts...

KuruMonkey fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jan 13, 2012

KuruMonkey
Jul 23, 2004

ZippySLC posted:

I'd rather them yank TG off the air then change the format to some boring, lifeless format like pre-relaunch TG was.

There is the happy middle ground; keep the general format, but stop lazily pretending that casual xenophobia and clumsy racial stereotypes are 'entertainment'.

Of course; that does raise the problem that Clarkson is, really, a one-trick-pony, and that trick is 'being hilariously right wing for pay'.