Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
What a lovely special.
Top gear works best when the staged events don't seem staged at all, also when the focus is on CARS not a dinner party or a loving train.

They really need to mix things up a bit and stop recycling the same old jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

echoplex posted:

Pretty sure production have form of buying relatively decent examples of the cars and then either 'arranging' whatever fault occours or letting it happen naturally. There's been a few instances of people who've sold nice cars to production to have them represented as nails on screen.

It makes sense to do it that way, though - it's insurance, to a degree.

Sigh as more and more of there 'lies' are revealed, the more I lose interest in their stunts. Unfortunately they seem to play the same tricks over and over to the point where it's bloody obvious they are just following a play book. The first time I noticed the obviously staged thing was the caravan fire several years ago.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Apparently Andy Wilman responded:

Seems fairly down to earth. Hopefully the season will be good.

Link

Fair play to him for having the balls to come out and address the complaints. Thanks Andy, just don't let it happen again.
P.S. use commas and work on your grammar when addressing the public.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
drat fake!
Although this should be a lesson to people in Andy's position. If you gently caress up and admit your mistakes, the fans will be a poo poo load more forgiving than just ignoring them.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
Well looks like even a 'safe script' attracted sand in the lady garden
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/jan/12/jeremyclarkson-top-gear

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
I have been skipping through SIARPC for the last few years. It's dull, boring, takes way to much time of the show and could be replaced with something...better.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
You know, I may be unpopular for saying this, but I would love to see more affordable stuff on the show. The £1000 shed challenges were great as they were something the average viewed could one day afford, and it's nice to see them gently caress around with fiat 500's and smaller sports cars such as the S2000 every now and again.

Would be better than SIARPC anyway

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
Watching the episode now. This whole car chase feature is nothing more than overscripted advertising for Sweeney isn't it? What a boring pile of poo poo.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

japtor posted:

Obviously the FF overheats and burns up unless driven in the snow :v:

Another self combusting car from Ferrari. wow. What happens in a case like this anyway? Do Ferrari say "whoops our bad, here's your money back"? or "take it to the insurance"?

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
I started watching the early 'new' top gear, and the first thing that struck me was how empty the studio was, the second thing that struck me was Clarkson creaming himself over a loving Citron van.
I really didn't mind the consumer stuff, I wish they actually had more affordable cars on the show instead of exoticia.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

KKKLIP ART posted:

I know some people havent been too keen on the star in a reasonably priced car segments for this series, but I have enjoyed all of them lately. Sure, some of them use it to hock whatever movies they have coming out, but it has been way more entertaining lately.
I've been rewatching season 1 and the SIRPC is much more tolerable then than now. Less "pimp my product" and actually more car discussion. Harry Enfield and JK actually had a good car conversation and seemed interested in the show. The guests this season seemed bored to be there.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
Wait, I swear I've seen the jetpack vs rally car thing before:S

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

vote_no posted:

I think we can all agree that this was finally a proper episode of Top Gear!

No, they recycled the first segment from a Top Gear DVD and the SAAB was a low budget, quick and dirty tribute. I think they must be having real budget problems if they are rehashing old material.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

vote_no posted:

Great cinematography of a rally course being driven professionally

This had already been screened on one of the 2011 top gear dvds. It's not new.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
The episode was doing great until they decided to repeat the Brutus section from one of their DVD's. 2 eps in a row with recycled footage.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
A better episode, at least no recycled DVD material this time, although two Clarkson chat sessions. grrr.

This season was one of the weakest in recent times though, from the piss poor India special to the 20 min advert for The Sweeney.
I hope they return to form next season.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
I'm guessing that the real reason is that they are budget strapped, and short of fresh ideas. Last season was pretty much piss poor, from the India special, to the two episodes that recycled material from the DVD and the PR fluff piece for the Sweeny. They need the break before they end up killing the show.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

G-Dub posted:

The real reason Simon Cowell does X-Factor is because Top Gear has ran out of ideas?

x-factor has nothing to do with it.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

djdanno13 posted:

Just saw this link posted on facebook by topgear.com I would totally want a new MG.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/mg-le50-first-drive-2012-07-13

This happens every now and again...The RV8 has better specs IMHO.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Preoptopus posted:

Not really. It's the south and they begged for it. Although I promise you the same thing would have happened in any small northern town in Wisconsin.

You mean that wasn't staged like pretty much everything else they do?

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
Starting now

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
That pagini...wow.
Stream is crapping out now though:(

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
SIARPC is same old crap as usual though

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

ROFLBOT posted:

for a minute there i thought i was the only one who found the P45 segment to be stupid, not particularly funny, ridiculously contrived and far too long.

No you're not the only person, it was rehashed crap. The fact that they are bringing out the 'cars play sport' segment AGAIN doesn't fill me with confidence either.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
Anyone know is there's a stream for tonights ep?

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
Much better than last weeks (SIARPC is still poo poo), I just feel the airplane thing went on for far too long.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

bennyfactor posted:

Ambitious, but rubbish.

Someone always has to come along and ruin the fun:(

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Stealth Like posted:

Looked real enough to me. Blocks of sodium don't react violently with water vapor in the air because they have a low surface area so the outer surface becomes oxidized. In the video you linked, they are probably throwing around 1kg or maybe more into that small pond and as a single large block so it reacts more slowly.

I work with Sodium. Top Gear didn't use Sodium.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

MadScientistWorking posted:

No actually it won't always. In fact a show that Richard Hammond hosted actually had trouble with the old sodium trick because if placed into too much water it just produces hydorgen without the corresponding boom.

It wasn't sodium he was using, he was going for the cesium and rubidium in water thing...it didn't produce the 'expected' result so they rigged the kit up with explosives instead...and solidified a chemistry misconception into the mind of children everywhere.

Interestingly enough thought, when you drop sodium and potassium into water, there is a detonation BEFORE the hydrogen/air combustion. I'm not sure why though :/ It can be seen with a high speed camera...

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
So I've been watching some of the older TG challenges, and I think I have figured out why the last few series have been pretty lovely. They newer series challenges are either more scripted, or the older episodes managed to hide their scripting better, or a combination of the two.
Go back and watch the cheap supercar challenge or the cheap Porsche one and you will see what I mean.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

golgo13sf posted:

Was just in Europe and saw one in real life, was like seeing the face of god

I currently live in Romania and see Dacia Logans and Sanderos on a daily basis. Horrible pieces of poo poo. The Sandero is pretty rare here though compared to the Logan.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

KozmoNaut posted:

How are they horrible pieces of poo poo?

I got the impression that they were simple and straightforward, ie. not particularly sophisticated, but dependable and easy to service?

The current Logan estate is surprisingly non-ugly.

Ugh, just drive one, or just ride along in one and you will see.
If you want a washing machine, yea they will do just fine, if you want something comfortable, or fun, or with handling, buy something else.
They actually remind me of Kia from a decade ago.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

KozmoNaut posted:

So it's pretty decent for what it was made for? An inexpensive, dependable car built for transportation of people and their stuff?

Sounds like they got it absolutely right, then. Can't argue with the value for money if that's the kind of car you're looking for.

It's a modern day communist car basically.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

yaffle posted:

Hello other Romanian goon (not actually Romanian, just live here)
I've been in my share of Dacia taxis, I'd say they compare well with, say, early 2000's hyundais, especially given how they are ragged on by their drivers. lovely plastic interior, but what do you expect for that kind of money? That said I've never driven one.

Yep, early Hyundai/Kia sums it up perfectly. Not the kind of car any self respecting petrolhead would care to drive, but fine for Dorris down the road.
So you moved here too huh?

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
God that taxi racing segment just didn't have any form of excitement in it at all. Nearly as bad as the crap Sweeny segment from last year. James' was just dull.
Nice Mono though.

Shame since last weeks episode was pretty good...

Jut fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 8, 2013

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Galler posted:

Hate to break this to you but the show has been nearly completely scripted for 20 seasons now.

But the older episodes at least hid it pretty well. Suspension of disbelief and the like.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
A good episode, much better than that piece of poo poo they put on last week. I think they succeed the most when there is less focus on scripted jokes, and more on the cars.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Cojawfee posted:

TGUS is getting better. They've cut out the poo poo they totally aren't good at like news and SIARPC. It's nothing but challenges and trips now. Once they get a better rapport (or better hosts) it could be a really great show. TGUK is pretty good, but some episodes I just don't give two shits about what they are doing. They made the cars interesting this time, but at the outset I was thinking "Why the hell are they doing this again?" They already did a convertible supercar episode with the California, that Lambo and something else an Aston or something. Do more challenges, pick new cars. It has to be more than a small majority that's tired of "Here's the new Porsche, it's 15 pounds lighter and has a wackier paint job than last time." There are so many cars they could be reviewing besides the same super cars over and over. It's to the point where I don't even think Lamborghinis or Ferraris are even special anymore.

Pretty much this, seen the cars before.
I'd have been much more interested in seeing them go for something a bit different. A cross-country trip in a Caterham, Atom, and an XBOW or something.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Preoptopus posted:

So nobody is looking for cheap as poo poo property in Spain then?

In some hosed up kind of logic, they CAN'T be sold cheap cheap because the banks financing them won't let them go cheap. They have to prop up that bubble as much as possible.
Seen similar things here in Romania with developments standing empty for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
Another Aventador, another 911. The Singer was nice looking though and the new Lambo looks crazy