Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Ola posted:

A ute challenge consisting of picking up girls on the beach, Bathurst racing, outback crossing and farm work.

All at the same time, trying not to lose the girls in the process!

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Ganon posted:

I heard him interviewed on a US radio show and he sounded even less interested. Just the way he is I guess.

He was probably drunk.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I thought the Chinese section was really well done. But I bet the Prime Minister of China said he'd have to look at their footage before letting them out of the country.

It's probably why stuff like these Chinese crash test wasn't shown.

40mph truck:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D827IxEJVS4

It's a common myth that chinese people are small. In truth, those bigger than a matchbox are culled off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmpDM8wVrUQ&t=22s

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

If you've ever seen a HD close up of Clarkson's teeth, you'd think he munches on cigarettes laced with brick dust.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I think this is the first episode where I liked the guest section more than the main event.

I hear those North-Northern-Americans are quite backwards, so that might have something to do with it.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

InitialDave posted:

I've been rewatching the episode on iPlayer, and I'm pretty comfortable that, had Hammond just hosed off like he was told to at the start, the chase stuff would have been pretty watchable.

What raised a red flag for me was the actor in the makeup chair telling someone who introduces themselves as a director to gently caress off.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Philip J Fry posted:

I didn't even bother watching the second half after SIARPC. Next week sounds like it could be amazing though...

Jeremy, Richard and James embark on an ambitious project to build mobility scooters that can tackle the wilds of the British countryside.

I hope James uses a leather wingback chair, Jermey a recaro bucket seat, and Hammond a wooden stool.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Overall I think that episode was one of the best in a long time. Though I'm surprised no one remarked the cost of the war costing an arm and a leg.

Ferrari should just rip off the Chinese ripping off Nissan and copied whatever 4WD system that the new GTR uses, which I think actually is powered by magic.

Ferrari have forgotten what made the F40 great. When you drove an F40, it was YOU doing it, not you suggesting to a computer that you'd maybe like to change gear now if that's okay with the committee.

It's one of the reasons I want to own a TVR Chimaera/Griffith. 1 ton car + 5 litre engine with zero traction control, no ABS, and the airbag is whatever bag of popcorn you was eating at the time.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I would love it if they reviewed/showed off the 251mph UR Lamborghini. The Veyron needs 5 miles to hit 250 mph, this car does 240mph in a standing mile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8K3Nk3PghU&t=217s

It's biggest rival is the AMS Alpha Omega. It's a little slower in a standing mile, 233mph, but it has a 1/4 mile time of 8.62 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYcHZR_Hs0E&t=121s

These arn't special one offs, you can buy them. We need a good automotive cold war since WRX vs EVO died off while ago.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

If I remember right, the races are done twice. The second one is for the camera crew.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Bob NewSCART posted:

How do those underground racing dudes get these lambos so loving fast? Ive watched a few videos and it seems almost unbelievable

The 1500 horsepower probably helps. Still street legal, too.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Morphix posted:

But I'm still confused why a 1200ish HP Veryon Super Sport takes so long to get up to those speeds. Doesn't the Veyron have stupid amount of torque as well? Because that Gallardo was surprisingly sedated inside the cockpit at those speeds.

The whole thing kinda blows my mind, I wonder what their full twin turbo kit/routine costs to achieve these speeds.

The Veyron is extremely heavy, the W-16 is needlessly over complex, and 1000 horsepower from a quad turbo engine really isn't that impressive if you're using an 8 litre engine. That's only 200 horsepower over the normal 100-horsepower-per-litre.

A twin turbo 5 litre V10 with 24 psi boost is far more practical.

[edit]

jamal posted:

1500whp is close to 2000hp at the crank. In a lighter car that might be more aerodynamic. Their full kit for that is 109k.

And it's not street legal. That's leaded race fuel and no cats.

That particular one might not be street legal, but they do differnt grades of packages.

$200k for the Gallardo, $100k for the package, and you have a car that kicks a $1.7 million Veyron's rear end. Good lord I wish I had 300 grand right now.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 19, 2012

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

mod sassinator posted:

To be fair the Bugatti is a bit more posh than the Lamborghini. I think Top Gear mentioned the buttons and switchgear in the Veyron are solid magnesium and thousands of dollars each.

I agree that it's an engineering work of art. But the speed and performance can be brought for 1/8th of the cost makes the Veyron seem expensive just for being expensive. Like a Mac.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

MrChips posted:

How many miles do you think a 1000 hp Gallardo can go before it blows the gently caress up or burns to a crisp? I doubt it would be as many as a Veyron. Yes, it's possible to make that much power, but that doesn't mean it won't seriously compromise the car's usability or reliability enough that you could still daily drive it.

Their warranty is 2 years/24000 miles I think. These ain't some rebuild after every 1/4 mile pull stuff.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I havn't seen the DVD yet but I'm guessing they're classing "worst car" on more than just what the car can do. Ie, The Fiat 500 is a tiny car with a tiny engine and not much crumple zone and can hardly fit your shopping but it's not a "bad car" It does what it's designed to do, and does it very well.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Looks more like "Can you convert a quadbike into a car" to me. It's going to be brill. I hope they go through a car wash...

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Wait, what? Christmas special in February? They should just go ahead and call it the Easter special from now on :negative:

We can't, people would confuse it for the Easter Special that we get in October, and the Halloween special is in December.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Cached Money posted:

The Huayra was amazing, I need to try that out some day, seems like the most amazing car to drive ever.

I wonder how much of the laptime were due to it's active aero.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Oh man that Toyota! Such a great car, and at Golf money, too!

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

boxen posted:

I liked her voice :(

Really liked finally seeing the Toyota go around the track, too, although I wish they had compared the times to something like a GTI or other sporty cars in its price range.

If my eyes saw correctly, it was right behind a BMW M3, which is pretty good if you ignore all the supercars on the board.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

But he still only came second. Ambitious but rubbish.

How DID he come second if he was on a bike?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

captainOrbital posted:

That parking demonstration was just fantastic. Cooler than Eric Clapton.

Also I was surprised into laughing for like a minute at "No, don't wriggle about; you'll get water on the sodium! That's what happened to your mum."

Then a poomf followed by silence...

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I'm curious, how much does the TerraMax cost, and how much does the US army have to pay out for a single soldiers' death?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Great episode. When Clarkson's handbrake smashed his window that was genuinely unexpectedly funny.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I honestly thought Clarkson was going to pee into it at the end.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I hope the use something like a VW polo. Or maybe splash out on a Ford Fiesta.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 11, 2013

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

They're getting a new The Stig already? :(

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Just watched Sundays episode, felt it was really good. At first I thought "oh great another Atom knockoff" I was worried it was going to have the same problems as the Caparo T1, then was surprised at how good it looks, and blown away by how good it behaves. A little backend slipping out is much more fun than perfect on rails handling.

I wouldn't mind seeing a list of the power lap board sorted by time per dollars/pounds to get an idea of what's fastest for the least money.

And when Clarkson said about the car in the review at the end "It could actually do with a little less power" I actually gasped!

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I wonder how much a quarter panel costs on a Ferrari? And I bet that underside isn't cheap to replace either. I enjoyed the episode but fast forwarded the SIARPC. There's something about abandoned cities/infrastructure that's really creepy, touching a part of the human brain that I can't quite put my finger to. It's been ingrained in media throughout history, from an episode of Rugrats to that Langoliers thing.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

For the Americans here that arn't quite upto scratch, the difference between England and Britain is England is the small plot of land below Scotland and Britain is what ever we stick our flag on. :colbert:

It doesn't have to be connected to England via land, its why it's an Empire, son.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

If you build something that has 3 engines and requires you to shout to talk to the person sitting next to you, that's a successful build as far as I'm concerned.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Look this is stupid no one wants to wait 20 hours to refill their electric car, the best thing to do is use standardized batteries across all car brands and when at a petrol station, you pay x monies and they whip out your batteries and slap in a full charged set in seconds, then your batteries goes on to be charged for the next customer.

This is the only way to make electric cars work.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

When he said people don't want a new Porsche that's old, they want an old Porsche that's new, I thought Singer? SINGER!? IT IS! God that's clearly one of the best Porsche's ever.

You Am I posted:

The Lambo was completely insane, I love how it has no front firewall from what I could see, so you could see the suspension moving around.

The firewall is probably somewhere in the middle if it's a mid engine layout.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

tuna posted:

This is probably how the people who own them imagine themselves driving it, so the review was more accurate than you can imagine.

But it wasn't stationary background. I don't know what that guy is talking about.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I hear that for an extra 4 grand, it comes with an optional aerodynamic manual hood.

Yeah you just bolt this just under the windowscreen.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

McLaren should reverse their opinion. Ferrari want to use a non production version? Fine! Here's ours!*

*tyres so sticky they are actually liquid, boost so high it's got the service life of a drag car, most of the heavy batteries removed so it has enough for 1 lap, and all but 1 seat removed.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

If I remember the physics behind brakes correctly, brakes don't work via "apply friction = slow down" but by actually: "convert kinetic energy into thermal energy"

The quicker you can do that, with higher thermal energy storage capacity, the better the brakes.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

The only Porsche I'd buy is a RUF BTR. :colbert:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

holocaust bloopers posted:

The anti-lag system is lunacy in the best way.

Yet another problem solved by someone saying "...What if we set fire to it?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

SquadronROE posted:

We had 22 (mostly) great seasons. The presenters were starting to obviously get old and tired of the crap they had to do, they were looking more haggard each season. I am pretty sure Clarkson just wanted to retire and write books. He's in his 50s, the constant travel and eating lovely food has to take it out of you.

Glad he's getting sacked though. Grown ups don't solve arguments with hitting.

I'm pretty sure I saw a video of the 3 of them telling about their normal work week. It included stuff like getting up at 3-4 am and driving 100's of miles every day and that's not when their flying all around the world and they hardly ever see their family.

Clarkson is worth £30 million ($44.7 million), Hammond £15 million, and James £10 million.

This is one of Clarkson's houses.

This is Hammond's

Hammond also brought his neighbors mansion because he kept complaining about the noise every time Hammond commuted to work in his own personal helicopter.

I would not be surprised if the 3 of them finally said "gently caress it"