Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Wow that was a truly good episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

GutBomb posted:

I'm American and I love cheese but I've never heard of this or seen it anywhere. Then again I just don't like apple pie so maybe I've just never been exposed to it.

It's apparently more common in the northeast. Not sure where you're located. I've lived nearly all my life in Iowa and Tennessee and have never seen it done.

There is a local restaurant that shoves a full slice of apple pie in a blender with ice cream to make the greatest milk shake known to man though.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

The GTR is Japanese. Standard Top Gear terminology for Japanese cars is sterile, cold, no soul, computers, no feeling, disconnected.

Hammond was pretty wild about the LF-A.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Loved that episode.

Did anyone else find it interesting that they drove the Porsche at Yas Marina, which is where other reviewers (Chris Harris and Evo) have driven the P1, but they drove the P1 at Spa? Having both cars on the same track (albeit separately and with different drivers) would have been quite good.

I was curious about that as well. Obviously Hammond was also down there to review the 6x6 that was on last week's episode.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I like this more than I should. I should install one on my wife's Focus.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

ColHannibal posted:

I'm going to say the thousand dollar car in the south. It's less about the cars and more about the relationship they forge with them.

Not to mention it does not feel too scripted and really gives the impression it's just some friends hanging out.

Ok I'm blocking out the cow.

..and the "rednecks" throwing rocks, and the gators in the river next to the track...

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

When does the next series begin?

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I was pretty surprised they let him run the barrel race with a chopped off roof on his Jeep.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Top Gear showcased an American Flag bike blasting Bruce Springsteen riding through Vietnam.

Top Gear made fun of NASCAR in Alabama.

I highly doubt that number plates with some obscure semblance to a small war is high on their list of funny jokes.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

The boys just got booted from the country after being stoned by angry Argentinians.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Ika posted:

They certainly made Vietnam and Burma look beautiful.

Vietnam looked stunning and vibrant in the special. The people all seemed hard-working and friendly as well.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I'VE DONE A BAD THING

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/behind-the-scenes-perfect-road-trip-2-2014-11-3

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Is it still possible to watch from the site with some Tor fuckery like it used to?

ello good chap you don't need Tor for this.

M8 you can try using Foxy proxy on chrome
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/foxyproxy-standard/

G'day I'm going to go have a tea and consider the queen.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Might have to buy the Bluray for this season for that episode and its outtakes. Beautiful filming.

Also holy poo poo that M6 is stunning. The lines were all in *just* the right places.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

spog posted:

Do the blurays have outtakes and extra bits?

Usually a little bit I believe.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

twoot posted:

Tom Cruise was also alright but he is just a bullshitting machine and can make the most disastrous interview into something entertaining.

I thought Cruise was great because he's so charismatic and he drove the piss out of that poor car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qexo0eI3eE4&t=126s

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Also, the whole "Americans can't drive manual" is more "Americans can't drive a manual with their left hand". There's just as many Brits who have never driven a car before, period.

Hogwash. Anyone who has comfortably driven a stick before can do so with the other hand.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

I learned to drive on a manual, and have continued driving manuals for years, but the concept of trying to do it all with my non-dominant hand is too weird. I mean it could obviously be done, but it would be so jumpy and awkward.

I did it in Australia without issue a few years ago. It comes naturally.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

A Handed Missus posted:

They really need to get Jay Kay's Ferrari for the lap.

edit: lol they just explained why that can't happen

:(

Jay Kay was who I thought of when Clarkson said "I have a friend with a Laferrari."

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

jamal posted:

I think it needs to be on the top gear track, even if Mclaren doesn't want that. Or maybe on there plus another track to make them happy if the Porsche goes faster.

I have a feeling the long sweeping turns and the hammerhead would hugely favor the 918.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

T.Swift > Katy Perry

Girl's got legs for days but she needs a goddamn Whopper.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

'Ya like dags?'

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Hell of a season to end the show on, but a drat shame they couldn't do the biggest supercar test.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

MY EPIGLOTTIS IS FULL OF BEES

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

No

http://transmission.blogs.topgear.com/2015/03/31/a-statement-from-andy-wilman-on-news-he-has-resigned/

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Ola posted:

Post the best Top Gear videos that actually reflects your inner desire to be friends with them and the deletestest scenes u got

Not a deleted scene, but this was one of my favorite moments of the show's run. The CUV test from a couple seasons ago, when they were racing caravans to the campsite.

"A terrible catastrophe has befallen me" has worked its way into my phrasebook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPXfswSgU8o

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Honestly I find Chris Harris super loving dry and boring. I'm not sure why.

THere's no irony or sarcasm in his monologues and interactions with others. He's a smart guy and passionate about cars for sure, but humor may not be his strong point.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

My god that drive would be absolutely miserable. Coast to coast across the US is about the same distance but would at least be entertaining some of the time.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

The gang tweeted about going to Norway in a weird way. Who knows if they are there filming stuff or if they are just going to Norway.

Live show I think.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, I'd say still worth it. I'm pretty sure they showed it in 4WD later on (at least the "PART TIME" light was on :haw: ) so I don't doubt part of that was Hammond intentionally making it look like it was much harder to shift the transfer case than it really was.

Did you notice it said "PARTY TIME"?

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Can. Not. Wait.

We don't know anything beyond "2016" right?

I thought it was 3Q 2016.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Scrambles posted:

Likely just that it's so hard to get all three cars together with the right conditions/permissions that they're both sharing. I sure do hope they cameo on each other's shows though, would be a mindfuck.

I can't imagine Harrismonkey's youtube show makes nearly enough cash to film this as a project. However, he's well-respected and may have been able to bum some time in the cars on Amazon's dime. Maybe it's the trio trying to capitalize on Harris's big online following?

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

You might have to fight the F1 thread for that.

Where is the F1 thread?

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Top Gear could have been good, but Chris Evans in studio is just miserable to watch. The filmed segments were OK, but Evans talking in the studio was awful. Leblanc was great. I thought he was really entertaining and fun to watch drive.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

spog posted:

Notable that none of them has posted a single thing related to New TG

Why would they want to talk about their competition? Mentioning your competition in marketing is a sign of weakness or fear.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I actually enjoyed most of this week's TG episode. Evans is still annoying. He's so forcibly excitable that it's irritating. Leblanc is just drat charming. His screentime was great this week.

The Africa challenge was fun, and the guest stars/musicians were really fun to watch.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

My thoughts on S23E04:

Definitely the best episode of the show's reboot so far. The car reviews were both very good. Harrismonkey's film on the Vulcan was both passionately narrated and visually magnificent. Truly one of the best TG car review films the BBC has ever produced. Rory is fun and I like his attitude, but I'm not sold on his on-camera charisma yet. Perhaps this will improve as time goes on. Nonetheless, I enjoyed his Tesla review and think he's a great writer.

The cheap car challenge had its fun moments, but it was uninspired and perhaps a little too ridiculous (even for TG standards). IMO, it was a halfass re-hashing of one of Top Gear's greatest challenges ever; The Race to the North in S13E01. The cars were unremarkable, not memorable, and Leblanc on the bike served purely as comedic relief without any sort of strategy. It was also extremely similar to the S19E03 race from London to Milan, though that was just with one car. Jordan adds very little to the show. He's a funny little guy, but generally doesn't say enough to contribute anything of worth.

The absolute worst part of this particular episode, and this series so far has been Star in a Rallycross Car. I used to love Star in a Reasonably Priced car. It used to be a simple segment where a celebrity (maybe two) would come on and chat for a few minutes about their current work, maybe a minute or two chat about cars, then beat the balls off an econobox. Now it's a third of the show. The two-guest format is awful, and Evans making it into a contest about who has better cars is cringeworthy.

Overall though, it was refreshing have less Evans this week. His in-studio segments are perpetually irritating and the crowd-hyping is embarrassing.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

neckbeard posted:

seconding this - series 22 episode 5 - It also features Hammond with the new Cayman and Corvette as well as May with the Ferrari La Ferrari

Looking back on it, the whole of Series 22 was really good.

The ambulance challenge was hysterical. The Australian outback road trip was probably one of my favorite road trips they've done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Two Finger posted:

Think it says a lot that this thread has fallen off the first page of AI

Yea, it's been pretty consistently on the front page even during the off season for a couple years now. To be on page 2 in the middle of the season is a HUGE change of pace.

I watched part of the most recent episode, and don't remember anything about it.