Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Aurune posted:

It certainly wasn't their strongest special. Most of the material felt recycled. It's certainly not as bad as what Top Gear US would have done.

I don't know, did you watch the Top Gear US Alaska special? I thought it was charming, and the India special was just repetitive. The last UK special I thoroughly enjoyed was the South America special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Preoptopus posted:

Also I think fame got to Hammond's head not to mention an awful hair stylist.

Something got to his head, anyway...

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
SeriesGuide says 12 January.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

jojoinnit posted:

No, thank God.

I've watched a couple episodes of TGUSA on iplayer and while it wasn't as awful as I was expecting it really just feels like a low budget mediocre tribute to Real Top Fear Gear.

Give the Alaska Special a try if you haven't already. I also think season 2 was a great improvement from season 1.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Elem7 posted:

Is there a good non :filez: place to watch the USA show?

History channel's website has an area called full episodes but there's nothing there but 1 clip from 1 episode from the beginning of season 2.

Normally they put episodes up there, they just haven't yet.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
The only one I still don't like is Ferrara, replace him with Carolla as intended and we've got a drat good show. I'm hoping for more Explore America episodes like the Alaska special.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Or they should eliminate the Stig and just have Tanner set the times.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I think we can all agree that this was finally a proper episode of Top Gear!

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Jut posted:

No, they recycled the first segment from a Top Gear DVD and the SAAB was a low budget, quick and dirty tribute. I think they must be having real budget problems if they are rehashing old material.

The SAAB tribute may have been low budget, but who cares? I think Top Gear is great when it's a car show, and that's what this episode was. Great cinematography of a rally course being driven professionally, and a heartwarming conversation about a car manufacturer that a lot of people haven't even heard of and certainly don't care about. The boys cocking about used to be great and allowed me to watch the show with people who don't care about cars, but it's clearly been played out or they haven't got the writing for it anymore, so I don't want to see another India special. I want more episodes like this and whenever they do go to other countries, I want it to be about showcasing the roads and beauty of the land, and about cars.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

opengl128 posted:

Another extremely entertaining episode of TGUS. Anyone not watching is missing out. There wasn't even a SIARPC, just 42 minutes of hilarity.

It really was an outstanding episode; great scenery, fun challenges, and only a couple bits that were stupid. I loved the livestock challenge.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

sbaldrick posted:

The clear answer is a real cheap car across china, or maybe one across the great Australia. Or a 1500 dollar challenge across Canada (no car would make it)

A trans-Canada episode would be great, except it'd take too long to go from Saint Johns to Vancouver or the Alaskan border. I still want an Alcan Highway episode from either UK or US, that seems doable.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Yes! That or the Dempster Highway.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Agreed, and if they're like me they can make a big deal out of forest bison. I flipped my poo poo when I first ran into a buffalo herd in the dense pine forest before the pass. Definitely the last animal I expected to see.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Carolla said that SPEED kept pushing for that. It sounded like Adam and the producers did not get along at all, mainly because they did not seem to understand how to make a good television show. It's that cable news mindset of faster, briefer, less meaning! Now that it's cancelled it doesn't matter, but its potential did make me wish once again that Top Gear US had been able to keep him.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Yeah, I think season two was the high point. I watch this show while I'm doing other things, and even then there are points where I have to skip ahead. Even though I know for a fact that two of the hosts love cars, the show doesn't convey it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Pretty much everywhere in the Midwest you can just pump your gas, then go in to pay for it with cash. You can use your credit card at the pump if you want, and many do, but it's not required.

Like Clarkson says, it's stupid to prepay with cash because you don't know the precise value to fill your tank. Evidently California had a bunch of people stealing gas.