Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I can't wait to learn how a cam shaft works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

coolskillrex remix posted:

Seemed like the flames lasted a long loving time on the track from the lambo. Is that the lambo burning off excess fuel?

The fact that there is unburned fuel in the exhaust seems kind of bad. But perhaps there are igniters in the exhaust to create that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
^^^ I think they said they wanted to start making new parts of the cars. I don't know if anything ever came of that. Were the original molds destroyed or did they buy those?

neckbeard posted:

Next week as per wikipedia: Matt "I'm no longer Joey from Friends" LeBlanc

Unless he turns out to be some crazy car buff, this is someone who should have been relegated to TGUS.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You remember the part where they were driving around and noting all the other cars that were all beat up and dented? I couldn't tell the difference because that's what every car in San Antonio looks like.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The challenge would be for everyone to get Beetles, and Hammond would show up in a 911 and Clarkson would end up with a Veyron somehow.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Anyone else feel like Matt LeBlanc didn't want to be there or seemed disinterested? What he was saying sounded like he was interested, but he delivered it like he didn't care. I will say it was one of the few SIARPC I was actually interested in. I thought it was just because I only like the American guests. But then that guy in that Fergie band was on and it was just boring.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

sbaldrick posted:

My only problem with the Chinese piece is that it wasn't long enough or in depth enough.

It probably could have been a mini special where they all go around looking at what China has to offer. But they probably realized that would be incredibly boring (there's no super cars, and there's no cheap car challenge) and made it a segment instead.

Though I guess they could do a cheap car challenge. You get a few thousand pounds, and you have to buy a new car and they see which one lasts the longest.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

echomadman posted:

From that last TGUS ep they seem to have gelled with each other as hosts, I really enjoyed it.
Are Peterbilts really that much faster than Volvos or was it just discreet vehicular nationalism? That was ridiculous considering how much of a headstart Rutledge had.

Tanner's truck was from 89, the other two trucks were much newer. Ferrara said he was going 65 so I'm assuming the Volvos had limiters enabled on them. The Peterbilt either never had one or it was disabled. There's no way that even with how they are geared that 65 is the fastest a semi can go.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They really need to get someone else to be the Stig. It's quite clearly Tanner. It's a little short dude driving the two mustangs in the feature. And then Tanner conveniently loses the top speed challenge to match Stig's time by not even doing a lap.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Tricky Ed posted:

I actually like Adam the best of the TGUS hosts personality-wise*, but dude's not a good driver. It's a shame that they're just not going to have any good speed-related challenges because the skill gap between Tanner and the other two is just too wide. I'm surprised the producers haven't at least sent him through a defensive driving course or something.

Is it me or do the studio segments seem like they're increasingly out of place in the US show? None of the challenges use their own track and it feels like the flow gets broken whenever they cut back to it. And whoever decided they needed to put those establishing shots of the car driving into the hangar was... wrong.

Still, with under 20 episodes down I'm impressed with how good the show's getting.

*The "fellas!" bit is getting old, though...

Americans are stupid and would probably complain wondering how the star got from the track to the studio.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I would much rather they review an interesting cheaper car than another boring maseredeserarrighinimw.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Krakkles posted:

No.

I want reviews of things that can be described as "Winnie the Pooh with road rage".

"Here's the new Ferrari, it's four pounds lighter than the last one. Your wallet will also be ten thousand pounds lighter than with the last one."

That's boring. I've already seen all the new ferraris and lamborghinis and I'm even bored of BMW unless they review the new F30 with the four banger. There are lots of cool new cars coming out, but they keep reviewing the same drat super cars over and over again. Just because some guy took out a cup holder, it doesn't mean its new.

In the past four years, they've reviewed 11 Ferraris, 6 Lamborghinis, 8 Mercedes, 5 BMWs, 6 Porches, anD 5 Audis. A lot of times they have the same car on the show several times. The GT-R has been on about three times now. The Noble has been on a few times, as as the 458 Italia and the new McLaren. Sure if these companies come out with a NEW car, put it on. But I don't really care about the Lamborghini Super Voloce Superleggera Spyder Turbo Gallardo 670389483894.

I think they only review the latest fast cars is so they can put impressive times on the board. I'd like to see interesting reviews of other cars that cost less than a hundred thousand dollars.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 27, 2012

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
He already did the Raptor though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I really just want to start racing, but the only track near me is some country club track. Hopefully that F1 track in Austin has some stuff.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

destructo posted:

Definitely a great way to finish off the season, seeing genuine feelings out of the presenters (Ferrari+rallycross) was excellent. The only thing I would have changed would be to cut all the chat and do an M5 historical review.

That's what they need to do. gently caress off reviewing new cars. Review old cars. Discuss the history and previous models of popular cars. I'd love to learn about the evolution of the 3 series, or the history Ferrari or something. Granted the new M5 is actually different from the last one, but it's still a new M5.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That episode was just terrible to watch. Just as terrible as the UK one. I don't like watching them ruin someone's day, even if it is fake. Though not as stupid as Trump making gay jokes at Tanner the entire time. If they can't come up with their own challenges, at least take some good ones.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
As far as I know, there were only three of them planned.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The six actual episodes or however many for this series is done. No new episodes til the summer.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That would be boring as poo poo. And they wouldn't be able to make it unless they all had the same car and drove in shifts, which would be even more boring.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

azflyboy posted:

It's too bad that the Netflix version has "The News" cut out from most of the series (I think everything up to about series 11), since there were a ton of great moments like that.

What? So far Series 6 has all the news in it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I haven't watched the episode yet but I thought it was interesting that when a UK episode comes out I keep accidentally clicking the thread and realizing it and mashing the back button. A US episode comes out and I'm all "eh, whatever, that might be interesting when I watch."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't really like that they did the double decker race. That type of race is usually used for cross top gear races.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I can't look it up because I'm on a crappy work computer, but there's a video on Youtube somewhere of the Australian version of the crossover.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I watched it at one point. It was mostly the same, but it was from the Australian perspective. They had their own film crew out there. It was basically the crossover challenges they did, and then they went through a drive through zoo in Peel P50s and a couple other things I think.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Jeremy is trying to drum up support for TGUS on facebook and the comments are almost as bad as youtube. poo poo like "Take it off the air, it's not as good TGUK." "Might as well cancel it, they can never top UK." Yes, because there can only be one top gear at a time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Just start with the second season of TGUS. The only good thing to come out of the first season was Alaska special.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Ok? Well I want cool challenges. I don't really trust TGUS to review high end cars. Only Tanner can really drive them, Rutledge is probably the only one who knows anything about them, and Adam would just say "IT'S SO FAST!" I trust TGUK to do super cars, because they know super cars. I trust TGUS to do lovely car challenges, because they seem to know about the cars they pick.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yes, James is "captain slow" but the point is that everyone on TGUK knows how to drive cars. I didn't see the earlier seasons, so I don't know how Hammond and May (once he joined) got on in the beginning. But these are guys who can drive cars and can race the stig if they have proper cars. Right now Tanner shows off his driving skills every episode, Rut seems like he knows what's going on and Adam clearly can't do anything besides drive normally.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think that one was pretty much the worst of the bunch. The Charger was pretty awesome, but I've seen those before. The Taurus was amazing, plus I'm a Ford guy. Then the Caprice was all "herp derp, I'm a police car." It looked boring, not aggressive like a police car should.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

Why should a police car look aggressive?

I'd prefer police officers (and their vehicles) to be friendly and curteous, but firm and decisive. Not aggressive.

The police should be nice, but I think a police car should look aggressive.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
No one wants to load up an action movie and a bad guy is being chased in a boring Peugot.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The Bourne movies took place in Europe, those cars fit there. Europe is tightly packed, they had small cars. American movies on rural roads need giant, American muscle cars.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Jeremy lost that one, because he was on the train. I'm surprised Jeremy didn't take the car. I think it was rigged for Hammond to take the bike, as he's the only one who would want to ride it. May really seemed sincere when he said he wanted to take the train.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Ak Gara posted:

If I remember right, the races are done twice. The second one is for the camera crew.

I assume that They do all the incar stuff during the race, then have a car follow that films any time the person has to stop. Then once it's over, go back to certain places and do shots of the car. It gets kind of obvious when there's a shot of those kids on bikes jumping over may and then two minutes later they are on top of a building.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

MrChips posted:

How many miles do you think a 1000 hp Gallardo can go before it blows the gently caress up or burns to a crisp? I doubt it would be as many as a Veyron. Yes, it's possible to make that much power, but that doesn't mean it won't seriously compromise the car's usability or reliability enough that you could still daily drive it.

I agree. That Lamborghini was modified to go really fast and that's pretty much it. You aren't getting a maintenance plan, you don't get a hundred thousand mile warranty. The Veyron was designed to be a car that anyone can drive, and yes, it's also the fastest car in the world. I doubt anyone could jump in that modified lambo and drive it around town, which is what you should be able to do in a Veyron for a very long time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah, just like how the Pirelli P-Zeros used in formula one are the same was the ones you can buy at Discount Tire.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
But they are all doing their own thing, so they can do more than one segment at once. But I guess if each segment takes a month to do, that explains why they only have about six episodes per series.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Surely they've been able to just keep filming poo poo during their hiatus.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I watched the first episode and it had too many segments and was way too rushed. They had what could have been a cool segment on lemons racing but it was pretty much "We drove for an hour and the car broke, oh well. Next segment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There's going to be a Hammond only TG special at the end of the month.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/james-bond-007-skyfall-exclusive-clip-2012-10-12