Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's weird, maybe there is an licensing issue. Also, the fifth episode is supposed to be called Pan (dem) Icking. Not Pan Icking, that makes no sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What else do you expect from TERF Island?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Clarkson's Farm is getting a season 2.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Now Clarkson says he doesn't know where people got that there's a second season because he hasn't heard about one happening.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
hosed up that Clarkson invented Covid19 in order to make the script of his show more interesting.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There are gross lamb birthing scenes

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Sucks that he can't travel without getting recognized anymore though,

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's an insight into how our food infrastructure is just a bit of mismanagement or bad weather away from being totally hosed.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
https://twitter.com/JeremyClarkson/status/1417775596566990848

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm watching it now. It's good so far. They put a a mask on Abbie's helmet

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm not really sure what the ending was supposed to be.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Do they seriously just use a big clamp to put a trailer hitch on cars in Europe? Even Uhaul in the US will weld a trailer hitch on your car.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Big Taint posted:

It wouldn’t surprise me if all of those muscle cars were Hammond’s.

That would suck, didn't he blow the motor of one of them?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah I don't know how you missed the whole vibe of "these cars are stupid as poo poo, but look at this cool thing it has"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That was pretty great but James' crash was way too much for me. These guys are getting old and I don't want one of them to die filming one of these because they wanted to do a dumb stunt. Hell, even seeing the director fall on the ice was terrifying. I guess having real things like this makes it more real and allows them to add in more scripted fake things like Hammond sliding down the hill, but I don't want them putting in things where one of them nearly dies just to create a suspension of disbelief for the rest of the stunts. This episode was a bunch of Jeremy and Richard pranking each other, and James nearly dying 3 times. Did they script that hole in the ice? Because that seemed really convenient.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I can't excuse away them not having helmets. James May is 59 years old, hitting his head like that could have killed him. Bob Saget was 65 and died after hitting his head real hard. I assume they got him great medical care and they cleared him, but that was hosed.

The exploration of the tunnels was great though. I loved the connotation that none of the soldiers asked why they were there, hinting that maybe they shouldn't be there either and didn't have anyone to snitch to.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I agree, it definitely sounds like the town is just annoyed by how much attention Clarkson is bringing to the town. These people are likely driving in, visiting Clarkson's farm, then leaving and not patronizing any other local businesses because they went specifically to see the farm. That's a lot of traffic and congestion for something that only benefits Clarkson. So the council will do everything they can to screw him over because he's "ruining" their town.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
At least he didn't punch anyone this time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
This all just feels like Amazon looking for a way out with the grand tour. These dudes are too old (not that they are all that old, but they look rough as poo poo) to keep doing this kind of stuff. If they were truly appalled by what Clarkson did, they would have outright canceled everything that was upcoming, not say "We'll make these things we already agreed to, but nothing after that." If it was really so bad, they would have Zaslav'd the whole thing and not even put out what they had already finished. When he got sacked from Top Gear, they didn't finish out the rest of the episodes he had agreed to, they finished up the show without him.

He wrote a lovely column in a newspaper, but who was really offended by it? The usual boomers that would complain to the newpaper are all people who were likely saying even worse poo poo about Megan to each other. The difference is they don't have a newspaper column. Were people in the US offended? Most people I see respond to every Harry and Megan story with "who cares?"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The first season definitely seemed real, this one has a lot of moments that seem super fake. Like in the second episode where the cows keep escaping. They keep putting the cows back in the same field and they immediately escape and piss off the neighbors. There's no way they are that stupid. I've only watched 3 so far, but there are a lot of moments where it seems like they didn't have enough weather drama so they have Jeremy go gently caress something up and then Gerald or Kaleb say "what the gently caress are you doing?" for the cameras. Maybe they didn't trust that an accurate account of what happened that year would be interesting so they came up with scripted things to make drama, but it makes the show lame.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

xsf421 posted:

My wife grew up on a working dairy farm and thought the cows escaping was pretty accurate, because the fences sucked.

The first time maybe? But after that, they keep putting the cows back in the same field and then cutting to the same fence still being completely down, and then repeat. Maybe they didn't find that fence until later, but the way it's cut makes them all look like complete dipshits by not even bothering to fix the fence and still putting the cows in the same field. only for them to walk out through the same downed fence.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I got to the council meeting episode. While I'm sure this show is edited to show Clarkson in the best possible light, that was a bunch of bullshit. The cafe is a great idea, his plan for the building basically showcases the AONB for the patrons, and it supports and is supported by local farmers. Blocking that was dumb as poo poo. Those council members are idiots. I can definitely see how British people can easily get upset over the stupidity of their government. A lot of issues he has that his fellow farmers are complaining about seem like things he could lead up a movement to change.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think it's a case where he only cares about the things that affect him. He started caring about his farm, and now suddenly the things that affect his farm are important to him.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What exactly happened with this crash that has caused the BBC to apologize to the guy for it happening? It sounds like they made him do something really dangerous.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't know if it's that many, but there are definitely more. When Jeremy got "cancelled" again, Amazon basically said "ok, we'll do everything we had agreed to and then it's done." Which was probably the plan anyway

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Why is the titties n beer car right hand drive?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I can't believe they let May take such a lovely car. I guess they probably script it that way, but it always seems like he never understands what they are doing and just picks something that seemed interesting.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Thinking back on it, you're right, there wasn't really much to this episode. Aside from James' car being absolute poo poo, this was nothing more than a road trip that someone filmed. I get they can't live in the wilderness like they used to, but this was just a vacation. I really enjoyed the formula race, I enjoyed them looking at those cars. Everything else was just going to a tourist destination and looking at it. The "challenges" weren't really anything. I think throwing that car down the ski slope was just to force James to keep driving his car because it wasn't even broken, just slow. I guess there's a couple more, but I'm not really expecting much out of them. I can see why they are winding it down, and Jeremy getting "canceled" again was probably a good thing for them. The challenges used to be "It's not possible to take a car from this place to this place, prove us wrong." And this was just "go find a weird car, drive it on these smoothly paved highways for a week".

Data Graham posted:

That Mitsuoka is basically the same thing as this isn't it?

https://journal.classiccars.com/2018/09/15/kit-car-based-on-88-mercury-cougar/

I saw like 1 million of these tooling around California in the 90s

I immediately thought of the one that was built off fox body mustangs. I don't understand how there could be that many people that thought it was good.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It made me want to some day check out Lake Bled. That looked really cool.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the issue here was that the guy had an open face helmet in an open top car. Hammond usually had either a full face helmet, or was in an enclosed car.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I thought it was really obvious that the Markle thing was just a way for them to say "these dudes are getting really old, we are just going to finish what we have planned and that's it. But we are saying the show is cancelled so you can all stop being offended." Then they did exactly that, but now people are genuinely shocked that the show is over? It's been clear to me for a while now that the grand tour was ending after they filmed what they had planned.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Amazon didn't even comment on the Markle thing and it was like one British tabloid that was running headlines that Amazon was going to cut ties and then nothing happened because no one in America gives two shits about the royal family. Besides, I'm pretty sure they had already said that they only had a few more specials left even before that article came out.

Look, we have a literal (proved in court) rapist with 91 felony charges against him that's the top pick for a major political party, a few years old misogynistic comments from a dinosaur TV presenter that has said far worse doesn't exactly penetrate the public awareness.

I don't remember if Amazon publicly said anything, but a lot of outlets had sources telling them that Amazon would only be doing the planned episodes. To me it always sounded like Amazon didn't give a poo poo about the article but a bunch of whiners wanted "justice" so they just said that what was planned was all they would do because that was always the plan because the three are too old to keep going. Clarkson's Farm got renewed because it ended up being so popular.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
As long as James can walk and talk, he can keep doing travel series.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Sand Job is out. I'm about 2/3 through. Pretty great so far, but there are a few bits where they've manufactured a crisis for no reason when there are already problems.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah it was nice that they were able to stick together a bit more in this one. It's not fun watching the "two old blokes and them sometimes there's a third guy" show. I want to see all three of them loving around, not one of them being left behind the entire time because their car is hosed. I get the "Richard's car is broken down again, anyway, moving on" bit is their schtick, but it's boring when it's the entire episode. James not being around at all for the last couple because he was injured in that stupid tunnel challenge or because his car didn't work and couldn't even go fast enough when it did work sucked rear end.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I agree that Richard definitely is good at getting someone to tell him what to do and then do it in front of camera. I don't mean to disparage him, but I assume that's what had to have happened with the computer hooked up to the Aston. He went from "ah, this is power steering fluid, but I don't know what to do about that." to "there is probably a wire in here somewhere that's messed up, so I'll just keep staring at the engine bay" to "Ah, the battery cable was loose" and then he suddenly has a laptop with diagnostic software that he knows how to use. I highly doubt you need to be on the internet to use that software, so I assume when he said they finally got wifi, that means they called up someone and they walked him through how to use the software and clear all the codes to get the ECU to stop freaking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I wonder how much of Richard's car loving up was from them adding the cultivator and hydraulics to it.