Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm guessing it was a segment and they realized they needed more time for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Hammond and May both picked cars they would drive if it were the last car ever or something

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Don't worry, it's the 458 Spyder. This actually looks really good.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

To be fair, that was because Hammond was driving one for that challenge.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Eh, I knew it was one of them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I haven't watched his wine things, but I haven't been bored by anything May has done yet. He takes on boring subjects and makes them interesting with history and knowledge.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I've heard people talking about it in between bouts of being called a Mexican during GTCC races.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What was the point of what they were doing? Maybe things are weird in the Netherlands but none of what happened on that video made any sense to me even with the subtitles. Some kind of challenge where a guy drives at a wall, then he looks behind for no reason, realizes he will hit the wall and then steers off towards the crew. Why were the crew standing anywhere near where they could be hit? That guy might be a bad driver, but that just seems like an entire show of "worst every profession ever."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I enjoyed this special, it had some really great lines like "It's a sixties Ford, you can start it with a teaspoon" then they really started it with a teaspoon. And you can't say the Beetle is the worst car in the world. It's stupid, but the worst? It made it through the Africa challenge without a hitch and until recently was still made in South America. As an affordable car, it's great.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
My sister had a 97 SC400 for a few years, and it wasn't terrible. I think it was helped that it wasn't a convertible, so you could actually fit 4 people in the car. She bought it used though, so it probably wasn't as bad as buying it new. It was a fun car to drive. Though to be fair, my options at the time were that, a Lexus ES300, and a Crown Victoria. I would nominate Crown Victoria for one of the best cars of all time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
This is old news.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The P45 segment was really one of the best segments ever produced on this show. I can only hope the rest of the season is at least this good.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't see how it was awkward comedy. I can't stand to watch any kind of awkward situation and I loved it. I think you people are just broken. It's not like it was painted as a realistic situation, it was clearly all fake.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

AN AIRBRUSHED VAN posted:

It's the edited versions.

I think even the british DVDs are edited due to the unique way that the BBC is funded, they can use certain songs that can't be used when selling a DVD.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

NathanScottPhillips posted:

That was horrible. The first time in Top Gear history where the cheap cars they buy are actually in drat nice condition and pretty unique and then they trash them :(

They didn't buy them. The show bought whatever kind of cars the guys had in college. TGUS has a lot of "what kind of car did you have" things where the goal isn't to get a good car for whatever price, but just to buy whatever car at any price and then do dumb poo poo in it. I don't mind them spending money on lovely cars and ruining them, because the car was just rotting away anyway. But to buy decent quality cars that are probably in better condition than the ones the hosts owned and then destroy them for no reason is stupid. That's not really in the spirit of a car show.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's only Saturday.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Powershift posted:

The last segment also showed that the navy needed an hour, 4 helicopters and like 30 men to do what the top gear camera crew did 40 times in that hour.

What? Are you talking about filming Tanner driving around? It was either scripted, or they ran it for real and had the footage of him being captured during the real one and then went back and filmed other bits of him "running." You know, like TGUK does it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The only reason why the FR-S exists is because they created the Scion brand in the US. It is the same as a GT-86.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I have to wonder how long tgus will last if all it does is copy old top gear challenges. It's entertaining and all, but top gear is also about car reviews.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Sir Tonk posted:

I could do without Mr. 70's Cadillac, Adam's schtick has kinda run out at this point, but Rutledge and Tanner can be rather funny together.

I agree. Tanner has his sports cars for everything schtick, and Rutledge has his "I got a volkswagen" thing. Usually they get interesting cars though. Every single time, Adam gets some GM behemoth that shouldn't even be considered.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

emf posted:

This wasn't even true when rolling the double nickle was federally mandated. My '85 Capri 5.0 V8 couldn't be in TOP GEAR at anything less than 60 with it's 2.73 rear end, and preferred to run 65+. Many places now have 75 MPH speed limits, and I think there are even a few places with 80.

I-10 in west Texas has an 80mph speed limit. SH130 between San Antonio and Austin has the highest speed limit of 85.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I heard the Mastretta has a box that not only warms your tortillas, but also cools your salsa. The horn says "AY CARUMBA" when you hit it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's not something the military would use in that state. Most likely it was made for a DARPA competition. Also, all the costs that make up training and support structure for one soldier adds up to a lot.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There's no such thing as a sodium and eel salesman. It's a joke. Sodium as a free element is highly reactive. If placed in water, it explodes. Eeels live in water, they also thrash around and can splash the water. The joke is that the eel splashes the water over to the sodium and then the sodium explodes. Hilarity, why would a man sell both of these things? What a dumb salesman!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Keep in mind that the TGUK guys have been car journalists for decades. Clarkson and May have been doing it since the 80s, and I don't really know when Hammond started. They've had years and years to perfect their driving. Tanner has been racing his whole life, so he's good at that. Rutledge reported on racing, which didn't require driving a car. Adam is a comedian which for some involves never even owning a car. He may own lots of cars, but that doesn't mean he gets a chance to drive them at the limit. They seem to know a lot about cars they have owned. Rutledge knows a lot about volkswagens, Adam knows a lot about GM landbarges. They should have found people who had more automotive background.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Adam Ferrara is pretty much supposed to be Adam Corolla. He's Italian, his first name is Adam and his last name sounds kind of like a car. Same thing, ship it out. There can't be any other reason for him to be on the show. Surely they could have found an actually funny comedian who likes cars.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
So Bob Saget

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Probably because they went through the same section of mud several times. You can tell at one point you see Jeremy powering through some mud, then a minute later you see James going through that same section with Jeremy behind him.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah, there's no way they bought those cars for 1500. That's about 2200 USD and I can find early 90s 850s for about that. The 850r was started in 96, so I can't see them getting one under the limit. Those cars have to have major problems or they cheated.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah, they came over expecting to find cheap fords and chevys all over the place. Kind of annoying if you want to buy a car, not too bad if you want to sell one. Though you always get the moron thinking his car is worth more than any other car. I saw an ad today for a 92 MR2 with a new paint job for 7500 dollars. Sorry dude, a clean retail price is 5K.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah, that was kind of stupid. As of right now, that's only 660 pounds. They should have gone for two to three thousand.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I was honestly expecting some naturalist or Simon Cowell or something to already be there at the end.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Why are we spoiling things that already aired this is retarded. Keep out of the thread if you are watching it on catch up...

That's pretty much the whole of it. Every Sunday I end up clicking this thread without thinking and then mash back to get away. I end up having to go back through the thread to find my real last read post. Once it has aired, it's fair game.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Dantes posted:

Is it because you want to make sure you don't see any spoilers or because you didn't know there is a button to mark a specific post as your last read ?

I know there is a button that marks last read, but that means I have to read the thread.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Daric posted:

Somebody please find me that gif of Clarkson flipping that 3-wheeled car over and over again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh56geU0X8

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Season 4 is where it really starts getting good. The episodes on Netflix are sometimes butchered (mostly the later ones) but are an easy way to watch TG.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Did no one watch it? I enjoyed this episode, it was quite hilarious. It's also probably the only time this season I'll watch SIARPC.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I for one enjoy when they don't just review the latest super car that's now a thousand pounds more expensive because it's two pounds lighter. I was expecting to hear that it was boring or something. I didn't expect someone to say it was downright horrible. I like hatch reviews because it's useful consumer advice even if I will never buy one. They look fun to drive. It was also fun to watch Jeremy destroy that car while making fun of rental cars. If he had picked a new BMW or Mercedes, it would just be "let's drive fast for a bit and then get there."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Gorilla Salad posted:

Also, if all SIARPC segments were half a dozen celebrities pissfarting about while having a BBQ I'd watch every one.

Agreed. Unless it's some big international star, I don't really care who it is. Yet, I didn't know who half the people were in that segment but I still watched it because it's hilarious. I even looked up who Joss Stone was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Sorry, I don't really follow mainstream music. Last I checked, the rock station on my radio stopped getting new music in the late 2000s. It's weird, and I don't know where kids get their latest rock music in this city, but I like it.