Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

fromagex posted:

I have tried every incarnation of the PS2 games in hopes of getting hooked. Final Fantasy and all the Disney stuff interests me to no end. But the convoluted story, the poor use of Disney characters, and the gameplay just being hit X as fast as you can, over an over, really turned me off.

The Kingdom Hearts games really bummed me out.

What am I missing?

Play on a higher difficulty. You'll notice pretty quickly that "X as fast as you can" won't quite cut it.

Although if you were playing KH1 on normal and got through by mashing X, you must be some sort of savant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reive
May 21, 2009

Does KH2 pick up anytime soon?

I just finished the Pirates of the Caribbean world and what I've noticed is almost every world so far follows a very cookie-cutter layout and seems like they just tried to cram what the could of the characters and story into hour long segments which has made it pretty bland so far, except for the opening with Roxas which has been the highest point of the game.

It's like the opposite of KH1 in regard to it's level design and story integration, which is odd because I thought that's one of the things KH was praised for so I would of expected 2 to be more of the same.

Is there like a turning point where it starts to get better or is it all pretty much this?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
The Disney worlds won't get any better or more involved, but the story picks up when the Organization XIII becomes the main focus of the plot after the halfway point. I'm surprised you liked the opening; most people think it's the most boring part in the game. Square seems to agree, because they let you skip the opening in BBS.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Reive posted:

Is there like a turning point where it starts to get better or is it all pretty much this?

I'd say the latter. To be honest, I really didn't think KH2 was very good. It got too caught up in things like going to every world twice, that they forgot to make these worlds interesting.

The battle system was also ridiculously easy. Halfway through the game I didn't even have to move, just mashing X over and over would kill everything. The bosses were pretty good (gently caress Demyx though), but they were paced really badly and they end up giving you a boss rush at the end.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Reive posted:

I just finished the Pirates of the Caribbean world and what I've noticed is almost every world so far follows a very cookie-cutter layout and seems like they just tried to cram what the could of the characters and story into hour long segments which has made it pretty bland so far, except for the opening with Roxas which has been the highest point of the game.

It's like the opposite of KH1 in regard to it's level design and story integration, which is odd because I thought that's one of the things KH was praised for so I would of expected 2 to be more of the same.

It picks up after you finish the worlds.

Basically it goes, first run through the world=reader's digest of the movie story.
2nd run=Actual plot relating to KH and its characters.

I do agree that KH2 was pretty terrible, it toned down exploration significantly and a lot of the worlds where like 4 or 5 screens long.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Reive posted:

Yeah, KH2's biggest fault is that they kind of forgot to tie the worlds you go to to the plot. They're mostly retreads of the original disney plots. On the second go-around you're actually chasing Organization members into the worlds and there's a sense of purpose to the whole thing.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The biggest problem I have with KHII is how destitute all the worlds are. They are awful, flat, sprawling masses of nothing at all. They took out the platforming, one of the best parts of the first game IMO. The only interestingly designed place is Twilight Town.

Final Mix fixes this by sticking Puzzle Pieces just out of reach that you have to come back to get later when you have better movement abilities. And of course, the Cavern of Remembrance, which is just beautiful. And also will kill the poo poo out of you.

EDIT: I agree that KHII picks up once you revisit the worlds, since the fact that you played through their disney story lines seemed out of place in this game. I feel like they just did it because it was in the first game. The only good worlds in that regard were Halloween Town and Pride Lands because their stories were pretty original. And Agrabah depending on how you felt about Return of Jafar

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 22, 2011

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Having to grind out forms just to complete that place sounds like a complete chore. Do they level faster in Final Mix?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Momomo posted:

Having to grind out forms just to complete that place sounds like a complete chore. Do they level faster in Final Mix?

You mean... you don't just use them normally? They are really easy to grind for the most part, except Final Form which you can't grind really until The World That Never Was.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Re:chained's worlds are super small and quick too. I cruised through two last night in a little over an hour, on Proud mode. I'm kind of glad they're small cause it's not like there's much to look at anyway, although I wish I could have kept Halloween Town's costume.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You mean... you don't just use them normally? They are really easy to grind for the most part, except Final Form which you can't grind really until The World That Never Was.

I think everyone would have to grind Wisdom Form since it was so useless by comparison.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Man, as cool as it is to have a Hunchback/France level in Dream Drop Distance, the lack of Tony Jay is going to be really noticeable. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyS3weMlxLA

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I used them every chance I got and none of them were anywhere near fully leveled. There's never a reason to grind in the game, so why should you?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Momomo posted:

I used them every chance I got and none of them were anywhere near fully leveled. There's never a reason to grind in the game, so why should you?

I did a lot of grinding for synthesis items while also simultaneously leveling up Drive Forms. Two birds, one stone.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It's really a shame that final form is so obtuse to unlock. By the time you can get it it's pointless and the chances of discovering it are so small, though perhaps that was the idea. Japanese game design seems to love "bonuses for the extremely lucky".

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's really a shame that final form is so obtuse to unlock. By the time you can get it it's pointless and the chances of discovering it are so small, though perhaps that was the idea. Japanese game design seems to love "bonuses for the extremely lucky".

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the chances of entering Final Form increase every time you use a Drive Form once it's unlocked?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the chances of entering Final Form increase every time you use a Drive Form once it's unlocked?

I think so, but even then, Final Form doesn't pop until you try to activate a Drive after fighting Xigbar. It's a fairly narrow window.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

I think so, but even then, Final Form doesn't pop until you try to activate a Drive after fighting Xigbar. It's a fairly narrow window.

Close - it's after the Roxas cutscene/fight. Any time before that, you have a small chance to go into Anti Form.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
I'm still waiting for an explanation on why Drive Forms were suddenly a thing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

Because Square needed a new mechanic to make up for replacing half their combat with QTE's.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

You mean storyline-wise?

Sora got a new outfit from the Cinderella fairies. That's it.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

ImpAtom posted:

You mean storyline-wise?

Sora got a new outfit from the Cinderella fairies. That's it.

You'd think suddenly absorbing party members for superpowers would be something more than a new pair of pants.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

You'd think suddenly absorbing party members for superpowers would be something more than a new pair of pants.

It's an RPG. Getting new pants to get new superpowers is a pretty common thing!

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

You know what's the best thing about Kingdom Hearts II? It introduced me and a lot of other people to Tron and is probably partially responsible for Tron: Legacy being made. Thanks SquareEnix.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

DizzyBum posted:

Close - it's after the Roxas cutscene/fight. Any time before that, you have a small chance to go into Anti Form.

you can still go into Anti-Form after getting Final Form, but not when using Final Form, and also I'm pretty sure using Final Form resets the counter that causes you to get Anti-Form. If I recall correctly.

Besides, Final Form owns and if you didn't go back and dick around before fighting the end boss you missed out. I mean, RPG's are all about getting to the final save point and then dicking around and grinding

Liar Lyre posted:

You know what's the best thing about Kingdom Hearts II? It introduced me and a lot of other people to Tron and is probably partially responsible for Tron: Legacy being made. Thanks SquareEnix.

Agreed. And the fact that Tron Legacy is gonna be in 3D just makes it even better.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Just finished KH2, from the moment you step into The World That Never Was to the credits is just filled with awesomeness.
Now this was still a bad game in terms of pacing and design, but goddamn if i don't love where the story went.

I'm itching to start up BbS.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
BBS is in that special tier with the first game in that it's actually enjoyable all of the time, unlike this "few good moments in an ocean of boring and pretty anime men" the rest of the series goes for

Reive
May 21, 2009

Alright so I have two saves in the same spot in BbS, one on standard one on proud, and need some advice.

I've already died a few times on proud because I wasn't expecting enemy groups to be so devastating, due to the changes in spawn rates and what spawns were having 4 or so of those fat dudes butt-drop at the same time is insta-death.

Standard on the other hand is easy breezy Japanesey.

So does standard's difficulty curve get higher later on (akin to KH1) or is it kind of a flat difficulty all the way through (akin to KH2)?

If the former I'll play standard if the latter I'll play proud.

EDIT: Also the game is already exponentially better than KH2 in terms of fun and stage design.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
I never played standard :colbert: but at least in Proud it is a flat difficulty throughout for regular Unversed. Where are you at right now and who are you playing with? I'd say the early game can be really difficult if you dont play cautiously but it gets easier after 2-3 worlds after you get more HP/Curagas/stronger commands. If youre getting killed by bosses a ton of Proud thats no biggie just level up more but if its regular monsters well that's no good. Some of the bosses on Proud are really goddamned hard so if you're having trouble beating random enemies than I might go with Standard.

Keep in mind its very hard to unlock the secret ending on Standard mode if you care about that.

Reive
May 21, 2009

JesusSinfulHands posted:

I never played standard :colbert: but at least in Proud it is a flat difficulty throughout for regular Unversed. Where are you at right now and who are you playing with? I'd say the early game can be really difficult if you dont play cautiously but it gets easier after 2-3 worlds after you get more HP/Curagas/stronger commands. If youre getting killed by bosses a ton of Proud thats no biggie just level up more but if its regular monsters well that's no good. Some of the bosses on Proud are really goddamned hard so if you're having trouble beating random enemies than I might go with Standard.

Keep in mind its very hard to unlock the secret ending on Standard mode if you care about that.

Sounds like proud it is then, I'm playing Ven first and it's only a couple of the regular enemies that killed me, mainly fat dudes, I just need to be more careful.
I did just finish KH2 so jumping from 25 hours of 'press X to win' to this will take me a bit to get readjusted.

Also I assume they explain it later on, but there is a reason why Ventus looks like Roxas and why Xehanort looks nothing like in KH2 right?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Reive posted:

Sounds like proud it is then, I'm playing Ven first and it's only a couple of the regular enemies that killed me, mainly fat dudes, I just need to be more careful.
I did just finish KH2 so jumping from 25 hours of 'press X to win' to this will take me a bit to get readjusted.

Also I assume they explain it later on, but there is a reason why Ventus looks like Roxas and why Xehanort looks nothing like in KH2 right?
It's ok, once you get through a couple of levels, you can resume a general "Press X to win" pattern, just with some exceptions (i.e. bosses and certain enemy types).

I don't remember if the first one is explained, I don't really recall anything of the sort except a reference from Aqua, but the second one is a Yes.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Reive posted:

After you get some more powerful abilities, you'll be far more unstoppable than you ever were in KH2. Seriously.

Also, yes, both are explained. The answers may surprise you.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Just as a note, the "general" order is Terra-Ven-Aqua, because Terra plays very slow compared to the other two and the Aqua story ends with spoilers for the whole Ventus thing.
Also the Terra story gives you the largest Master Xehanort voice lines, so...

Notinghamington
Oct 24, 2008

You're Lonely Rolling Gem
Not only that, but if you like leonard nimoy then play Terra's story first; he plays Master Xehanort.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

S-Alpha posted:

Can you go over this quickly for me in spoiler tags? I finished all three stories but don't think I unlocked the final story or whatever, and feel like nothing at all was wrapped up and I'm just really really confused.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Can you go over this quickly for me in spoiler tags? I finished all three stories but don't think I unlocked the final story or whatever, and feel like nothing at all was wrapped up and I'm just really really confused.

You really should go through the final story. There's a whole lot of poo poo that happens that you really should see. But in case you don't, I'll go through a bit of it.

Okay, here we go. Ven doesn't look like Roxas, Roxas looks like Ven. Because Ven's heart, when he was lost, went into Sora. That's why Roxas actually had feelings and a heart, and why he was able to affect the people around him. Because Ven's heart went into Roxas when he was created. Master 'nort stole Terra's body after he 'killed' Terra, and that's why he looks like that.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

S-Alpha posted:

You really should go through the final story. There's a whole lot of poo poo that happens that you really should see. But in case you don't, I'll go through a bit of it.

Okay, here we go. Ven doesn't look like Roxas, Roxas looks like Ven. Because Ven's heart, when he was lost, went into Sora. That's why Roxas actually had feelings and a heart, and why he was able to affect the people around him. Because Ven's heart went into Roxas when he was created. Master 'nort stole Terra's body after he 'killed' Terra, and that's why he looks like that.

Ah, I think I remember that. Was that in Final story? I don't remember unlocking that anywhere.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

As far as I remember, the easiest way to get the final story is to just play through all the routes on Proud. I default to playing on Proud, so I got it my first time, but you may need to do another couple runs through it.

Reive
May 21, 2009

S-Alpha posted:

After you get some more powerful abilities, you'll be far more unstoppable than you ever were in KH2. Seriously.

Yeah but at least then I'm using cool abilities to kill a million things with and not just my standard attack, which was most of KH2.

Also the little board game you can use to upgrade and gain new abilities is addicting.

I wonder how di/similar the battles system for 3D will be, that's supposed to become the precursor to Versus 13 in battle right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

S-Alpha posted:

As far as I remember, the easiest way to get the final story is to just play through all the routes on Proud. I default to playing on Proud, so I got it my first time, but you may need to do another couple runs through it.

To unlock that story you need all the Xehanort reports.
What you need to do is go back to Terra's Mirage Arena and kill the Iron Imprisoner II. Then go and beat the final boss again.