Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Funky Valentine posted:

Namine continues to get no respect.
All is right with the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I haven't posted here in nearly four years - I take it Kingdom Hearts is still Xehanorts all the way down?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Pesky Splinter posted:

I haven't posted here in nearly four years - I take it Kingdom Hearts is still Xehanorts all the way down?

Eeyore is there too.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
And Goofy.

EDIT: Also, without posting any real spoilers, I got a glimpse at the new Gummi ship world hopping stuff, and man, I don't even know what to think. It's the kind of thing that I would have to play for myself before saying whether it's good or bad.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Nothing could be worse than previous Gummi Ship iterations so we're starting from the ground floor.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Eh, KH2's Gummi sections weren't that bad in my opinion and from what I've seen the ones in 3 seem to be an expansion on those.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

KH2’s gummi ship sections were actually good and fun.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Yeah I really liked KH2’s system. Dive Mode from DDD can eat my rear end though.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tbh one of the things I did like about BBS was not having Gummi or Diving or any of that kind of stuff.

I still don't mind Gummi in KH1 or KH2 but I've just done both of them too many times now.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Will sora learn to turn his keyblade into a hover bike?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pug Rodeo posted:

Yeah I really liked KH2’s system. Dive Mode from DDD can eat my rear end though.

Though to be fair on that one, if you screw up enough during the Dive the game will give you the option to just skip it and go straight to the world you're trying to get to (though that only happened to me once).

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I liked KH2's gummi ship less than 1's purely because you couldn't hold the button down to shoot. Having to tap constantly just made it a chore.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Momomo posted:

I liked KH2's gummi ship less than 1's purely because you couldn't hold the button down to shoot. Having to tap constantly just made it a chore.

There was a rapid fire toggle in FM at least

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I'm almost certain there was a way to just hold the button down in the base game of 2 as well. I don't remember that ever being a problem for me, at the very least.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If I recall correctly don't certain weapons have auto-fire and other ones don't?

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
If I remember right full auto is just a setting. Default is semo-aut. It lets you hold down the button to fire then let go to paint with lasers.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I like the hold to lock on because it makes me think I'm playing Panzer Dragoon

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
do you think Nomura had the whole chi/keyblade thing planned from the start or did that come in a later acid trip?

same thing for Xehanort's control over X

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
:lol: if think Nomura planned anything.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

morallyobjected posted:

do you think Nomura had the whole chi/keyblade thing planned from the start

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

morallyobjected posted:

do you think Nomura had the whole chi/keyblade thing planned from the start or did that come in a later acid trip?

same thing for Xehanort's control over X

Did Nomura ever actually have anything planned out past the first game at the start? I thought the general consensus was that he worked backwards and then made up an explanation for things later.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Larryb posted:

Did Nomura ever actually have anything planned out past the first game at the start? I thought the general consensus was that he worked backwards and then made up an explanation for things later.
I want to say he at least had an idea what the secret ending of the first game was all about but even that feels generous.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Nomura's strength is building on what came before in a way that makes the retcons make a bit more sense than they have any actual right to (e.g. KH1's antagonist possesses Riku as a lone plot point ---> KH3's antagonist is all about inhabiting 13 bodies at once)

but in no way did he have any idea, of this I am convinced, of what the conclusion of this trilogy would actually be about until Birth By Sleep was out the door

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Question

Is Sora's keyblade special? Like, more than other keyblades?

Because I don't think we've ever seen anyone using the Kingdom Key that Sora has, except for Riku when he stole it and things that are also Sora

Do you think that's going to be part of the whole XBlade bullshit? That Sora's keyblade is innately different?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Burkion posted:

Do you think that's going to be part of the whole XBlade bullshit? That Sora's keyblade is innately different?

"sora's keyblade sucks so much that xehanort can't control it because in his heart of hearts, he doesn't even want anything to do with it"

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Not only did Nomura not start with all of these crazy ideas, I’m sure he had a dozen other crazy ideas that he’s already forgotten about.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

I think KH1 and KH2 were definitely planned together or they wouldn’t have come out 3 years apart despite being larger releases.

Even though KH2 had Birth by Sleep as the secret video, the game still took 5 more years to come out and it’s not even a long game. It just feels that way since you’re doing everything three times with mostly minor differences.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Burkion posted:

Question

Is Sora's keyblade special? Like, more than other keyblades?

Because I don't think we've ever seen anyone using the Kingdom Key that Sora has, except for Riku when he stole it and things that are also Sora

Aren’t all Keyblades basically unique? What keyblades are there that multiple people use?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Aren’t all Keyblades basically unique? What keyblades are there that multiple people use?

Roxas and Xion both used Kingdom Key (and Roxas eventually upgraded to Oathkeeper and Oblivion) but they're special edge cases.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

At very least Riku gave one to Kairi in Kh2.

Edit: He also hands his over to Sora during the last fight in KH2

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 28, 2018

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

Well there’s the dark Kingdom Key that matches the light version that Sora uses, but that’s the only example of one being identical, at least physically.

I can’t think of a reason why Sora’s would be special. I’m still not clear though if the keyblade upgrades are canon or if Sora is technically always using Kindgom Key.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pug Rodeo posted:

I think KH1 and KH2 were definitely planned together or they wouldn’t have come out 3 years apart despite being larger releases.

Even though KH2 had Birth by Sleep as the secret video, the game still took 5 more years to come out and it’s not even a long game. It just feels that way since you’re doing everything three times with mostly minor differences.

Hell, Fragmentary Passage was the secret video in BBS Final Mix (though it was originally titled Birth By Sleep Volume 2) and that only just came out last year.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

King Mickey uses Kingdom Key D. It's the same as Sora's, but the colors are reversed.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Pug Rodeo posted:

Well there’s the dark Kingdom Key that matches the light version that Sora uses, but that’s the only example of one being identical, at least physically.

I can’t think of a reason why Sora’s would be special. I’m still not clear though if the keyblade upgrades are canon or if Sora is technically always using Kindgom Key.

It’s apparently always kingdom key. The different keyblades are just putting different keychains on it

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Donald Duck's voice sounds so old somehow to me and that makes me feel extremely sad.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gologle posted:

Donald Duck's voice sounds so old somehow to me and that makes me feel extremely sad.

To be fair, isn't Tony Anselmo only like the second or third VA the character has ever had (either way he's been around for a while)? I think the same is true for Bill Farmer as Goofy come to think of it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Was it Walt the very first Donald before switching Clancy Nash who was Donald for a long time.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rirse posted:

Was it Walt the very first Donald before switching Clancy Nash who was Donald for a long time.

Not sure about Donald but I know Walt was the original Mickey at any rate.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rirse posted:

No Walt voiced Mickey originally. Clarence Nash was Donald's original voice actor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Hi thread, I've been un-bookmarked for a bit just because I'm being hyper-cautious about KH3 stuff now (I'm staying away from trailers because I want to be surprised, and I dunno who's using spoiler tags and who's not). So, sorry if this is retreading anything that's been discussed recently!

But anyway I have a friend who's been streaming the whole series via the PS4 remasters in the lead-up to KH3; he hasn't played any of them since KH1's initial release. So it's been quite a ride going through many years of gameplay changes, plot layers, and so on in the span of a couple months. The reactions and such from him and others have made me notice how desensitized I've become to all the weird quirks about these games.

It also got me thinking about the handheld titles in particular, specifically how everyone seems to have different thoughts on what makes them good or bad, what works and what doesn't, and how they stack up against each other overall. So I posted a couple polls on twitter and thought I'd share them here, too.

So... thoughts on the best of the bunch and which one's the worst?